G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 26 Non Members

Mount Eden Sprint 16/10

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• PackedMetalPandaPackedMetalPanda    166 posts
    Ozvarin won a consolation of the Pacing Cup with Dad.
    Dad trained him but got time and as far as I know Lou Austin drove him and the time may have equaled or bettered the Final of the Pacing cup

Dad trained him after Phil Coulson and one of the owners that you may be referring too was Noel Adair.

JayJay, savethegame, curmudgeon likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Good work Matt, STG on the money, I'll slink off back into lala land.

savethegame likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Protest uphelded 25.00 the win Jay Jay very hard to beat in the room. ""cockahoop"". ___"'now who had cockahoop know there was one.
    Pay tote STG...... but it was after he left Herdsman Parade I reckon 1981?

There was a Cockahoop ...... by Garrison Hanover.
    Thought maybe cockahoop was Tony Stampalia or - M.Grubsia something small at the 100s be late 60s or 70s
    STG, the Oracle has reported in as expected. Ozvarin started off with Greg Miles, then to Phil Coulson for his Mount Eden,Members Mile and FFA wins, then to Ron Young as outlined by Matt, and finally with Mike Beech who had him when he ran 2nd in the 1981 Fremantle Cup (behind Local Mark with Whispering Campaign in 3rd). Owned by P and  C Eliopolous and Noel Adair. By Bold Alabar out of a Porter bred mare Debs Delight that hailed from the Lila Ribbons/Wilver Ribbons/Gallant Ribbon family that produced broodmare of the year Wilvetta (Coolup Way, Placid Way etc). Stewards still considering Cockahoop but details very sketchy.
    Thanks Jay Jay not a doubt Alan with his love of industry and stored information be better prepared then Henry Kissenger. Casper Wineberg Claude Powell rolled into one. at the table.

Just on memory regards snippets of all the top horses over 50 years. Like whispering Campaign he was purchased for 50k. Periera . As 2 year old think which was rare from N.Z. local mark g.harper then Nancy Watson bad legged horse.that she stood up. Two above

But village kid was the greatest warrior watched him prepare for a race as they put the gear on.he would pump himself up and physc himself like no other horse----- as had leg same diameter from fetlock to the knee.No horse ever had the recuperative powers from one start to the next people finally give up saying that's the end of Willie as he short stepped after a race. But be back next Friday to do it all again think his fastest mile rate for charity was at 14

VillageKid, JayJay likes this post.

Yes, Alan is a national treasure.....I have known him for 55 years, not a harsh word exchanged. Attention to detail and extra ordinarily accommodating to any request. Better backstop than Wally Grout, Rod Marsh and Adam Gilchrist all rolled into one.

It was Katie Watson that stood up Local Mark, not dear old Nancy.... and I think Harper got him from Kevin Batt but not 100% on that. I remember when Whispering Campaign came over..... $50k was big money and Orange Grove was abuzz when he did his first fast work for Val. He had a big owner, maybe Warren Brady (car dealer?) and they spent up.....Gay Boyden, Liebchen Lady spring to mind.... and won a lot of races. There were lots of stories, none substantiated, about various feeding regimes at the time....but those horses had genuine ability.

Another that caused a bit of publicity was when Les Marriott paid $20k for a horse called Full Draw. You could buy a decent house in Carlisle on a 1/3 of an acre for 20k in those days....I know because I did. Battle to get a new race sulky for that these days. As I recall, old Jack paid $700 for Royal Vance at the Melbourne Yearling Sales.....and $500 for Eringa Bay.

Agree on Village Kid.....his longevity truly astounding..... but the greatest of all great warriors, criss crossing the country and barely ever seeing the inside running rail on his sojourns over east in some brutal contests over brutal distances, and then back to Perth for a freshen up to belt top class fields...... the one and only Pure Steel, never seen anything like him before or after.

VillageKid likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Cockahoop was definitely M Grubisa as I asked him about at breakfast this morning.
    Yep, found Cockahoop but it took a lot of searching...1962 foal, well bred to, by Garrison Hanover out of a Light Brigade mare....won races, best winning mile rate was 2.10.2 but dont know how many he won.
    The Bull drawn No 1 again. Another procession.
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    That’ll be good for turnover, cmon Rocket give us some exotics.
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    West Aust this morning just flicked through whilst waiting for my coffee to see if any stories.
    Full blown 3/4 page article by E Manning on trial results for races.
    What hope have trots and greyhounds got of competing with that BIAS.
    RWWA if you are listening get off your lazy butts and do something about it.

JayJay likes this post.

Initial thoughts are that Nos 3,6,7,8 and 9 have have little or no chance of filling a place.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    I await news that the weights in the Melbourne Cup have been reversed in a copycat bid to boost turnover that this RBD focus has unequivocally demonstrated is desirable.

The mooted single acceptance/ RBD combo will be a real doozy across the classes based on this type of regular statistical eventuality.

JayJay, Offthebit likes this post.

• My Dad was one of the owners 3 brothers of Macedonian descent and also Noel Adair as stated .
    Yes Lou Austin drove him to win the consolation and trained by Ron Young .
    Greg Miles had him originally and my dad said it was the hardest day of his life when they went to Greg's to advise him they were moving him to Phil's.

jpg
    jpg
    Ozvarin1.jpg
    3M

PackedMetalPanda likes this post.

• PackedMetalPandaPackedMetalPanda    166 posts
    Hi, the photo attached on your post @downtheback73 is that Ron Young driving him?
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts

Hi, the photo attached on your post @downtheback73 is that Ron Young driving him?

Greg Miles Panda
    December 16, 1977 Gloucester Park. 4YO SS $3,800
    1. Ozvarin (G.J Miles), 2. Hal Tempa (V.D.Pereira) 3. El Auren (R.Williams) then followed Radar Spear, Canny Lane, Common Law, Shaffer Equis, Boobiana, Radiant Prince, Elkaien 10m, Corsabella, Garwen Dollar 10m. MR 2.6.9  Km Rate (remember them?)(1.18.9)

Other winners on the night: 2.21 Fr Taraway (Lou Austin), 3YO Timely Hostess (Val Pereira), Christmas Gift 2.20 and better Heat 1 (remember them ? Heats) Oxford (Lyle Lindau) beat Aran 20m and Kiwi Cloud 10m, Christmas Gift, Heat 2 Henry Butler (Ray Sweetman) beat Johnny's Return and High Narai, Heat 3 Karamea Beau (Bob Pollock) 20m beat  Jewell Patton and Ashton 10m. The Qualifying Stakes went to Danaus driven by the ever smiling cab driver Athol "Apples" Barker who used to tow his float with his Swan Taxi and the two...yes two...Free For Alls over 1900m went firstly to Rip Van Winkle (michael Vanderkemp) from Royal Force, Paleface Adios, Little William, Noble Bil, Nixon Adios, Rare Chief, Huncarla, Ex Adios and Virgil Queen, and the second FFA was won by Anna's Ann (Kevin Keys) from Remit, fastease, Happy Creed, Tulyar Prince, Johnny Toledo, Bandsman, Velvet Prince, Young Robbie and Deep Decor.

A somewhat more enticing programme than the garbage served up last night.....not one under subscribed field for starters and a great mix of mobile and stands played out in front of a packed house with not a dim sim or a firework in sight. TV coverage and two pages in The West Australian....it was a carnival time and the whole of Perth knew it. A borefest it were'nt. Where oh where have we gone wrong?

VillageKid, freodockers likes this post.