G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 9 Non Members

WHERE ARE THESE GUYS?

West Australian Racing

Comments

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Rex would know the answer to that one Slipper. Brash son or Hollydoll girl?
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    Very good Spinking. Hollydoll and there was one before it that started at $15 can't recall the name
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    bloody George Way.. I was in living in Sydney and he brought a horse across, peter cook rode it and it won. George said to PC...great ride, mate u earned your 5k. peter replied, make it 10k George, I spent 5k in the run... true...

therealkramer likes this post.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    I recall he tipped me Brash's before it won. I hardly knew the bloke. Met him through work. Likeable bloke when i met him. Though I knew of George before I met him I made out I knew nothing about horse racing and it worked out in my favour.
  • RexRex    397 posts
    spinking said:

Rex would know the answer to that one Slipper. Brash son or Hollydoll girl?

Hollydoll Girl at Mt Barker. Owned by Roberts of multiplex fame.

Geez Hollywood had some descent ones at the time Wellington Hammer, Vain Marceu, Preferd . Just out of interest Slip what line of work were you in at the time
  • tofarkennardtofarkennard    177 posts
    Heard he alive and well in WA
    Would not of thought so Tofarken but stand to be corrected
  • ManchildManchild    679 posts
    George had the tavern, Rascals years ago

spinking likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Gee he could ramp something up remember a sire called rancher he was behind think his first crop broke all records price wise.....,Dot painting done at the back of widgiemoothla in hollywoods hands it  was a picasso masterpiece
    wasn't he involved in a portrait of captain cook? it allegedly finished up in Canada..geez he was a shifty bugger, could con a bird out of a tree...after taking the pennies from his dead mammys eyes...

• RexRex    397 posts
    Keep them coming boys, he is enjoying the read.

spinking, Tucool likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited January 2019
    Two good memories here.. to this day never seen an electrifying sprint and finish that Hollydoll Girl had. Saw her several times "come from the clouds" ..gosh she was a favourite.

The other one..was at Perth Oval...Royals getting done to a dinner..my bets on for the day also no good...a bleak day..ok bugger going back to the tab at half time, instead will whisk down to the Claisebrook station and catch the train out to Belmont Park to have a crack on a George Way roughie a place...look can't remember it's name, but was definetly saddlecloth number one - and first thing noticed in the mounting yard it had a quite few bandages on - not to worry - he's not a bad trainer this bloke - and if this horse is half right it's a show - might have been a case of out of form but down in class - anyway at about 6/1 or 7/1 a place it ran 2nd or 3rd - and helped turn a shocker of a day around.

The things you remember!

JimmyPop likes this post.

edited January 2019
    5 fondest Ascot memories that are gone...but not forgotten.

1. The Leger
    2. Powderpuff Derby Races - for the lady hoops.
    3. A very busy eastern states bookmakers ring in a great part of Ascot.
    4. 3,200 Perth Cup.
    5. Max Simmonds.

spinking, Tucool, JimmyPop likes this post.

Didn't the Captain Cook have something to do with Bondy and the Bell sale. Bought it for cheap as chips and sold it for squillions. Hollywood had Harry Billson the painter staying with him & Val for some time. He even had a art gallery in Perth. If I have time I will tell you  a story or maybe I better not from the  days Hollywood had Rascals tavern. And him and I think the blokes name was John Squarcini betting on the dogs. If you do read these Hollywood I reckon it would still bring a smile to your melon

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Forgive me if this has been covered before but what was G.L.Way's background in horses? From my fading memory, he sort of just 'appeared" on the scene way back then.....but I don't know. Did he train prior to hitting the limelight, was he from a "horse background" so to speak, did he have a backer (was it a Goldberg?) or someone behind him? Genuine enquiry, not looking to hang crap on him, just can't recall.
    Am guessing the term "powderpuff" in relation to the ladies races - would be tut tut and condemned these days.

Yet back then - we just enjoyed the race. Simpler times.
    Did have a few connotations that name though!

JimmyPop likes this post.

• tofarkennardtofarkennard    177 posts
    One of my old man's horses ran second to Hollywood's one day in a decent race in the late eighties dad congratulated Hollywood on the win Hollywood turned and smiled don't feel too bad mate there wasn't a horse in Australia would have beat this one today

I missed al the fun I lived in Sydney and overseas from 1974 to my return to Perth in '88.
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    thefalcon said:

George said to PC...great ride, mate u earned your 5k. peter replied, make it 10k George, I spent 5k in the run... true...

Jesus Christ, anyone would think these blokes are crooks >-)  :-\"
    edited January 2019
    Did say to somebody when asked if I gave Star Exhibit some chance...no it's form is ordinary..but yes because after following them a fair while I know how crooked they are!
    ( The racing game that is - and only said in jest wink wink )
  • docdoc    17 posts
    I think the name SEAN HALL is correct for the MT BARKER or ALBANY winner

Age matches time. (46 in 2013)..if rode winner about 1984 ,he would be 17.

this link
  • docdoc    17 posts
    in response to DESPERADO message here in JAN 2019
  • shothrushothru    243 posts
    Willie Arnold has just built a new house near Mandurah. After many ups and downs he"s landed on his feet. 
    ^^ great to hear shothru. he was a bloody good rider, very low in the saddle.
    has he got himself a nice bride.
    thefalcon said:

^^ great to hear shothru. he was a bloody good rider, very low in the saddle.

has he got himself a nice bride.
    Affirmative, he always was a good looking Rooster. 
    shaun o'donnell is very quiet at the moment. the justine erklands winner today was ridden by
    peter k. shaun normally does most of her riding. 
  • FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts
    thefalcon said:

shaun o'donnell is very quiet at the moment. the justine erklands winner today was ridden by

Shaun has been enjoying his 50th birthday celebrations the last few weeks.
    Flanders said:

thefalcon said:

Shaun has been enjoying his 50th birthday celebrations the last few weeks.