G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 20 Non Members

Hayden King - Race caller at Lark Hill trials

West Australian Racing

Comments

• FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts

Terriffic caller Dave Sheehan, calls the races at Kal with style.Will be missed.

Where is Dave Sheehan off to?
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    edited October 2020
    Just retiring, said he was looking forward next year to enjoying the Kal races as a spectator

Flanders, savethegame, Thunderstruck likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts

Gilgamesh said:

He is very good just needs to not get too Richie Bell (who seems to have taken him under his wing) trying to predict what he thinks will happen in his call and just call it as it unfolds

Exactly, too much early crow, heard a race recently where he declared something gone on the corner, went down in a photo finish. . Ego can ruin careers, other than that goes good
    Yeah thats sort of right matey

I will never forget their - that caller at the Albany Trots a while back - there was something leading and stopping to a walk - and the thing i was on for a respectable amount of moneys ( at the 20s ) was pelting home - and in a screamer of a finish - it didnt make it by a short half head 

Yet the racecaller had the audicity to say in the closing stages - the thing which was stopping to a walk - " raced away to win " - by  half a head - hah

Like you say matey - youve got to keep that ego in check - parden the pun - keep it under double wraps

And by the way - Ritchie Bell goes allright - brilliant race caller

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Hmm...at his best, Richie has few peers, especially in the big races. Understandably, some Tuesday mid week calls have been sub par and getting horses names correct is essential, no matter what the race and there have been a few shockers of late. Rebel With A Grin frequently gets called Rebel With A Cause and Crocodile Kid reverts to Crocodile Dundee, as I say understandable and probably being a bit picky. Overall, the standard of calling from Richie, Matt Young, Matt McDermott and young Hayden is of a very high standard in what isn't an easy gig. Dave Sheehan has been an institution at Kal, both races and harness, hope he enjoys his retirement.

savethegame likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Hayden King is showing great promise and can tip a value winner was well.

Those of you that bag callers for making predictions and declarations in the run are off the mark in my opinion.

Bill Collins was known as the "accurate one" and equally famous for "Kingston Town can't win".

So far as I know no race caller has ever influenced the finishing order across the line of any race in history.

detonator likes this post.

• MuldoonMuldoon    317 posts

Hayden King is showing great promise and can tip a value winner was well.

Those of you that bag callers for making predictions and declarations in the run are off the mark in my opinion.

Bill Collins was known as the "accurate one" and equally famous for "Kingston Town can't win".

So far as I know no race caller has ever influenced the finishing order across the line of any race in history.
    Well said. A few above I noticed above like to do a bit of bagging re callers, stewards etc. I am more worried how they are going to fix the race Round fiasco at Kal, never left there sober before.

JimmyPop, detonator likes this post.

• GoddGodd    199 posts
    Just a question on trials , how many do they run per hour ?
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    About every 15 mins so 3-4 I think
  • sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    Hi All, Can any one please tell me why Perth run 400m trials??? Thank You..

thefalcon likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    Good question as they are impossible to get a gauge on
    Gives the babies some sort of place to kick off their career/campaign I guess and 400m ensures they aren’t pushed out too far just my 2c
    I have emailed rwwa and will let you know why..when they give me an answer..

GLAMOUR likes this post.

• FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts
    600m trials would be better but i guess you can't start on a turn
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Don't hold your breath waiting on a reply
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Would say it was instigated orginally by the trainers, purely for education without taxing there babies  legs  as much in straight line galloping,  getting a few more through without shin soreness,  in one small step-----.Sure they had 600m races ,backin seventies, all about leaving the gates at that distance.  Satin bow, My juliet two that could hammer early.  Can remmeber Roy Edwards was a master, and vic. had C.B. Fahler. explosive babies from the gates..

spinking, JimmyPop, Tucool likes this post.

Can remember Roy Edwards always had very smart two year olds. 

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    ^^ carried white with purple maltese cross, if i remember correctly... :-?
    Yep think that was them.Remember Roys stables in Forrestfield think it was Reynolds road. turn into hale road off hardy road was about the first on the left. At the time Craig Coombes Norm Coombes son and Drew Taylor Bob Taylor of Barrosa boy fame where apprenticed to him . And possibly David Young
    Craig Coombe may have rode soveriegn ghost for Roy in melb. Craig was a bit of whizz kid but then his melon forgot to stop growing ha.ha--- top bloke & good horseman. Think another in the camp who had no fear what so ever with babies teaching them to wing it from the gates .g. browder or similar.

spinking likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    f. browder? frank?
    G.Browder Gary by memory

Thought there was a trainer F. Browder ---but Gary Browder as a rider i am stretching the grey matter.-- could have been father /son. not 100% sure.
  • shothrushothru    243 posts
    sonny said:

Been asking that for 20 years. I believe a better option for 2yos would be to run them all over 800m, longer but not too long, go around 2 turns, and dont have to move the gates for the babies.
  • Uncle/ nephew

Still no reply from RWWA.re 400n trials. Am I wasting my time in emailing again??
    Think you be able to push a peanut with your nose to widgemooltha before you do. Pretty sure it would have been requested by Western Australian Racehorse Trainers Association. May even been well before RWWA INCEPTION 2003.

At ascot  trackwork trainers wouldn't dare use just any stalls of a morning, when it was at its peak. Any new trainer had to start in the boon docks, or come later in the morning,. Think Wilson 'ironbar' Tuckey tried to alter the system to no avail. Now told that drama has long gone, its  very quiet there.

There was many a blue some even progressing to fisticuff situation over the stalls of a morning. The problem died along with the amount of horses now trained out of Ascot

• The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    sonny said:

Because 1000m is too far for early 2yo's at their first look. 750-800m would be ideal, like Sydney and Melbourne, but I guess we are not set up for that.