G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 31 Non Members

When to retire?

West Australian Racing
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the ages of horses racing.

I was surprised to see Rock Magic for another prep a few weeks ago. He’s been a great horse and I understand he probably still wants to race and is performing.

At 11 years old and over 1.5m in prize money I think he’s done enough. I would think it’s time for him to be relaxing in a paddock eating grass for the rest of his days.

Thoughts?

Comments

• RodentRodent    7,024 posts

• RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    Pretty boring life for a gelding.
  • spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    Good horsemen know when that time has come.

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    I would of thought his first up run 3rd. Finishing 3/4s of a length of the winner in a group 3 suggests he should still be going around.

hash, Thunderstruck, RIO likes this post.

• FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts
    Age should not mean a thing I think.
    If Rock Magic keeps performing at his age its because he wants to. You can't force a horse to keep trying and perform, especially at the top level.
    What irks me is when a horse keeps getting sent round when they clearly don't have what it takes to be competitive. There's one in the Railway that springs to mind and he's 3 years Rock Magic's junior!

Thunderstruck, RIO likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    Rock Magic clearly still enjoying his racing. 
    Ive had horses half his age just completely give up and fail to be competitive. YOu pretty much know when they're done. 

Thunderstruck, RIO likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    I would have retired it after its placing in last years winterbottom and go out on a massive high as i hate good horses fading away running tailed off because they have had enough and are still racing.

Then i saw its last run and i must say i got that completely wrong. Still clearly loving its racing life so no issues with it racing on.

Thunderstruck, hash likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    i think harness racing has an age limit...
    remember old Mustard in sydney going around until he was about 12.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Mustard raced at 14.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Mustard won a Saturday Metro race at age 13. At John's funeral wake (conducted by Terry Rohde), there were more stories about this great old warrior and Ears Ronny (who I think raced until he was 12) than there were about Hay List. An equine marvel.
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    100% agree with all posts, plus I'm certain the Gangemi team are on board with the horses welfare they love him and why wouldn't you..ditto the jockey they have a strong bond too.
    While he is still racing well let him do what he has known for a long time now..

*bet he runs another cracker tomorrow in a pretty warm field, place prospects are strong again from a decent draw.

thefalcon likes this post.