In this Discussion

Who's Online

• tony   18 seconds ago
1 Members & 4 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    Watched with interest the protest from GP from Friday night re C.Voak whip action, which I thought was a strange protest as how Colin Brown would see that in actual race time being on the opposite side to Voak's whip action. Looked as though things were going to get a little testy in the hearing, but was good to see.

Anyone with any thoughts on how the protest transpired, & would there ever be a case for an upheld decision. For a casual observer in real time I would not even know what a braech of the law was .
    Travelled over to stay with friends & went to Wagin trots last night, was a good night, maybe not the best fields, lot of short favourites, but good facilities at Wagin especially that you get an up close & personal view of the races from a table inside if it get's a bit cool outside, which Wagin can, but last night was a perfect night for pacing. 

jpg
    jpg
    wagin.jpg
    jpg
    jpg
    wagin 2.jpg
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,899 posts
    Kevin Charles deserves a bit of credit - the quality of the horses he is breeding seem to be getting better and better every year 

The 1st 2 in the 2 year old tonight - Lavra Joe - 10 wins 100k - a very good mile rate 1.56.8 - home in 55 for a 2 year old 

Of course he bred Shockwave - what would be interesting - say the last 2 years - all the horses he offered at the sales - and their sales price -  i reckon hes got a pretty good strike rate 
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts

Also bred ElDaytona the second horse in the last race tonight....which I was on of course. He is a smart customer as well.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,664 posts
    KTC Draft 2018 (Name /Purchase price/  Best Winning Time / Stakes won):As at 10 Nov 2020

452       Don't Change           16k         2.02.0         14k
    468       Ollie Oliver                7.5k        2.05.4          6k
    475       Unnamed                  10k p/in
    510       Unnamed                  32k       (deregistered)
    516       Livy Jay                     25k        1.59.2          14.5k
    528       Soho Ricciardo         22k         non winner  2.2k
    534       Chase The Feeling    5.5k       1.59.5          6.2k
    540       Matai Reactor            20k        non winner  5.2k
    458       Red Hot Courage      26k        non winner   0.1k
    463       Love My Life              15k        non winner   3.8k
    480       Rosa de Oro             10k         1.57.7          5.6k
    486       The Dancing Pearl    23k        (deregistered)
    492       My Ultimate Tintin      18k        (deceased)
    498       Middlepage                20k         1.55.9          18.8k
    504       Feeling Aces             7.5k         2.03.1           5k
    523       Double Expresso      22k          1.55.4          313k
    546       Red Hot Lady            29k          1.55.2           52k

502      Two Bob Cracker      22.5k        non winner    1.8k
    513      Seeryanfly                  17k          2.02.2            8.4k
    521      Peligroso                    36k          non winner    1.2k
    525      I See Fire                    p/in 22k   non winner    0.4k
    529      Chrysoprase              28k          unraced
    532      Eldaytona                   20k          1.59.2            16.7k
    536      Boston Rob                50k          non winner     0.4k  (brother Double Expresso)
    539      Captain Crush            20k          unraced
    543      Unnamed                    30k          unraced
    547      American Bullitt          16k           2.03.7            10.7k
    549      Justanextragrand        p/in 13k    2.00.2            10k
    554      Lavra Joe                    p/in 25k    1.55.9            106k
    559      Lil Delight                    40k          non winner      3k
    564      Only Five Starzzz       20k          non winner      3.4k
    568      Unnamed                    15k         
    573      Sunflower Johny         24k          unraced
    582      Eye Better                    5k           unraced
    587      Rich American            14k          1.59.7             18.6k
    591      Give Us A Wave          60k          1.57.1              85k
    595      Lets Dance Tonight     28k          1.59.6              30k
    599      Sun And Sand             12.5k      non winner       0.1k
    603      Smudgey Smith          18k          unraced
    607      Unnamed                    15k
    611      Long Macc                   16k         unnamed
    614      Sound Wave                32.5k      non winner       2.2k
    620     Lets Rock Tonight         p/in 30k  non winner       3.7k
    624     Bombproof                    p/in 17k  unraced

Markovina likes this post.

When you analyse, you make stats say anything you want.

Total Lots Offered: 45    
    Passed In:  6 (some of which sold eg Lavra Joe passed in $25k, sold later for $22.5k)
    Number of winners: 17
    Total Income from lots sold: $838k
    Total Stake earnings: $743k

However just 3 horses (Double Expresso $313k, Lavra Joe $106k and Give Us A Wave $85k) account for $614k of the $743k stakes earned.

Not included in above data is the $3k first win Westbred Bonus for the owner and the $3k first win bonus for the breeder plus all other Westbred bonus available for 2 and 3 year olds.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,798 posts
    edited November 2020
                                         FOUND  THIS BUYING  THE HORSE.

CAR                                                                            HORSE

MAKE                                                                             BREEDING

MODEL                                                                           SEX

CONDITION                                                                   PHYSICAL &EMOTIONAL SOUNDNESS

R.A.C. REPORT                                                            VETERINARY CERTIFICATE

YEAR OF MANUFACTURE           
                                                                                                 Foals raised solely on natural pasture in 
                                                                                                 a particular locality in certain drought                                                                                                      years, can never make up for early                                                                                                        deprivation.

PREVIOUS OWNERS- In particular the first,                     Misuse and abuse which is not uncommon
    to check if correctly run in.                                                  due to ignorance,laziness,lackof time or                                                                                                  money,is very difficult and costly to                                                                                                        remedy, damage is sometimes                                                                                                                irreparable

REASON FOR SELLING                                                    Check with stewards and registrar of                                                                                                      control body to ensure animal is not under                                                                                              suspension or disqualification

REPUTATION OF DEALER                                                Make discreet enquiries among others in                                                                                                sport

BEWARE OF OBVIOUS BARGAINS                                 A good horse costs no more to feed or                                                                                                   train,while a souped up unsound pacer will                                                                                             break your heart.

For the uninitiated the best approach is to use many of the easily remembered principles of buying a good--- used.car. --- the 60s   Better learn how to drive this---- words  are hanging----need a wheel alignment. this is after edited

I am with you STG on the formatting.... I also need driving lessons.... took me more than an hour to get that data on KTC yearlings even half readable.....   and while I was doing it I was thinking why am I bothering, who will read. Anyway, what appears on my lap screen doesn't translate over to the site at all well And after about 8 years of trying I still cant post photos on here despite dozens of attempts.

savethegame likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,841 posts
    Same for me JayJay. Perhaps it has something to do with our vintage.

JayJay, savethegame likes this post.

JayJay said:

When you analyse, you make stats say anything you want.

Total Lots Offered: 45    
    Passed In:  6 (some of which sold eg Lavra Joe passed in $25k, sold later for $22.5k)
    Number of winners: 17
    Total Income from lots sold: $838k
    Total Stake earnings: $743k

However just 3 horses (Double Expresso $313k, Lavra Joe $106k and Give Us A Wave $85k) account for $614k of the $743k stakes earned.

Not included in above data is the $3k first win Westbred Bonus for the owner and the $3k first win bonus for the breeder plus all other Westbred bonus available for 2 and 3 year olds.

Thanks for posting those sales figures etc - good interesting reading 

Like you say - you can give stats any angle you wish - but fair to say - yearlings they are hit or miss - hit the jackpot - or not so lucky - and to be fair - its still early days - like Karloo Mick didnt come good to a 4 year old etc 

But to pick the right yearling - there are that many theories - you will read someone who has got a top horse - and they will say why did you buy it - and they will say - look he was a nice walker - plus he didnt have too much white in his eye - hah

JayJay, savethegame likes this post.

Jay Jay only went to school to eat my lunch, would have been hard driven in your class.thats my excuse, Whats  chariots and yours-------- just after effects of woodstock  --- ha ha.
    Age STG,  Age haha. Technology advances were and remain a struggle.  I cope somewhat but formatting is a complete mystery to me. What I put on here looks a doddle to some but they have no idea what a struggle it can be to present something readable. Woodstock no, but I did make it to a Sunbury Festival and saw Billy Thorpe blow everyones ear drums out. Don't remember how I got home!!!

Small place $ punters - should head to the last race at Redcliffe tonight - for a touch of overs on Super TAB 

Rousey $1.09 fixed odds the win - however in the tote pools there is 50 bucks  in the win pool - but a very respectable  $900 in the place pool

Those big place punters - i dont think are actually in the John Maynard Keynes school of making a quid - however they will get the thrill and excitement of hopefully getting their betting stake back 
    Laurie Collins  was registrar at g.p. for  seem like  forever, was he involved in the industry on any other front. did he provide opinions on horses abilities? Sorta remember  one,---- as told to me regarding wee cent.
    One of natures great blokes.....never saw him not smiling, not being helpful or not being pleasant. Was registrar up until 1980, handed over to Alan Parker who was his deputy for a few years. Pretty sure he was a steward prior to assuming the Registrars role.....very knowledgeable. Did he have his origins in the Goldfields somewhere .... not sure.

As close as i can remember ---  He watched this unregisterd  horse work, doing the brands or whatever ,He said to the trainer,  Wee Cent is the best two yearold in the state.( vague at what stage of the season. it was),  --- Laurie Collins ------ but what ive just seen your horse  would beat her.

The trainer said  I know he would, but he won't race until his four, he will win his first three in country,qualf. to race in the city.

Sue enough thats what happened., only problem i was checking the papers for my old  man  for when this horse, did turn 4 ----his name was going to be boy scout--- being outta girl guide----by david stanton-.but after his third win my old man  listening to the radio hears the winners breeding, its called Tavis --- years later found out it meant in some lingo  son of david. 

Never met the man, laurie collins ---Always wonder did he clock that horse that day.  Don't no anything else about him,  outside his name being the registrar on papers and name cards you recieved.----- mustive been knowledgeable about the horses, outside the office.. 

edited November 2020
    Gee, I know that family very well. Old mate raced a mare that went alright called Guides Creed, out of Girl Guide....Ken Tyler used to train her. Top family......Girl Guide was from Driffield, an ancient old colonial family dating back to Lulu Boy... sister to Garry John and very nice chestnut horse called Gold Jay (who I think was trained by Big Ron Percy).

Laurie was world President of the Wee Cent Fan Club.....around the time I held similar office for a lovely horse called Haddock. Yes, very knowledgable man.

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    I hope your not still paying driver fines JJ gee whiz bordering on ridiculous.

JayJay likes this post.

• Ivorytrunkey86Ivorytrunkey86    204 posts
    Shannon thought it was 2007
    Reminded me   of Joe snr  driving  gracetonian in the  70s.--- in the last 20m.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Dunno about Shannons effort.....but some punishing comments being applied this morning :-j

Ivorytrunkey86 likes this post.

The hits are cheap on here -- 600 to be on sky.
    He only used the wrist though 

Just goes to show how they use to belt them in the old days - because they would wind up the backswing using the shoulder and the arm - totally different 

I hope your not still paying driver fines JJ gee whiz bordering on ridiculous.

He did try a bit hard in the last little bit....turned out it was $400 with another $200 suspended. Difficult situation but yes, I made a small contribution. I am a very benevolent owner hahaha.Both horse and driver did their best..

freodockers likes this post.

Just on whips see driver before correct weight signal--- R. Warwick fired in a protest regarding C.suvaljko's  whip action --after they both had deadheated in race 6. Then he recieved a reverse body slam. as he got fined 200 for  his whip action and suvaljko got fined 750.

Stewards christmas party this year will be held in  the maldivis. at this rate. ha.

PackedMetalPanda likes this post.

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Suvaljko no problems,, Warwick ????
    Might as well just take the whips off them ridiculous.
    edited November 2020
    I appears that the stewards are very reluctant to uphold a protest for whip transgression.

A dead heat would have been tempting but the fact that Ryan Warwick broke the rule as well probably saved them from having to make a difficult and possibly unpopular decision.

Until they uphold one, drivers will continue to push the envelope.

freodockers likes this post.

The trot race at Pinjarra is a perfect example of why I do not bet on them.

A quality field but three of the nine broke without interference and the favourite was not pulled wide until the race was all over.

My choice and I am aware that some love them.
    Was doing some research on footballer by the name of Jack Broadstock, who was rated at one stage by Captain Blood as the best footballer he had seen actually played richmond premiership side  1943.he would just as liable to turn up from one year to the  next anywhere well he turned up in the goldfields and coached premiership side 1948 boulder.

Anyway got talking to this old fella, whose dad knew him.--- He followed the harness said to me everyone mentions the match race pure steel how he beat satinover. Nobody mentions when satinover beat pure steel.

I said could remmeber  only  the talk was Satinover was never the same after he beat pure steel in a heat of pacing cup1980 broke down. Was there a story pure steel was real unlucky or was stainover too good in the heat --I told him i don't know, but some harness people would fill me in on what happened in the heat ,was sure satinover was scratched from remaining heats&final.

His two runs were just runs prior to match race even though he won both.

edited November 2020

Was doing some research on footballer by the name of Jack Broadstock, who was rated at one stage by Captain Blood as the best footballer he had seen actually played richmond premiership side  1943.he would just as liable to turn up from one year to the  next anywhere well he turned up in the goldfields and coached premiership side 1948 boulder.

Anyway got talking to this old fella, whose dad knew him.--- He followed the harness said to me everyone mentions the match race pure steel how he beat satinover. Nobody mentions when satinover beat pure steel.

I said could remmeber  only  the talk was Satinover was never the same after he beat pure steel in a heat of pacing cup1980 broke down. Was there a story pure steel was real unlucky or was stainover too good in the heat --I told him i don't know, but some harness people would fill me in on what happened in the heat ,was sure satinover was scratched from remaining heats&final.

His two runs were just runs prior to match race even though he won both.

From Pure Steel Wikiepedia page & yes I have contributed to their cause a few times :)

"Only having a limited preparation, he contested the 1980 Western Australian Pacing Cup series and was beaten by new rival Satinover in the first round of heats.[5] It was a 17th consecutive win for Satinover, but after he was injured Pure Steel won the WA Cup final for a record fourth time becoming the leading stakeswinner in Australian racing passing the thoroughbred Family of Man[6] and then won the Fremantle Cup from the 35m backmark."