G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 20 Non Members

Comments

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts

Think top leg man  from trots W.F.pop Johnson fixed bynsaab who broke down. and got her back to the track for W. Mitchell at some stage of her career.

Timing is right STG....we had a nice mare at the time, had an awful looking joint, swollen and not pretty. I used to get dispatched to Pop Johnson's place to collect a can of brown liniment goo that we had to heat up and paint on the joint and poultice it each night. He never said what was in it just but she was 7 at the time, had missed 18 months and came back and stood up and won metro races.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    jay jay you a pretty good, yes eric trained out gosnells way..he was an ex-cop. the story: bill page owned kerim bey, no my dad was not in it. anyway i met dad for a few frothies on the friday night, as we normally did. then i would meet dad at the morley park hotel and then go to the races together. this day i got there, waited, no dad...mmmm, then rang mum, "he's gone to the races.."
    hopped into my car and the radio was on, 1st race..."and kerim bey the sensationally backed favourite"...i nearly went over the garret road bridge thinking wtf!!
    as JJ said 100's into 5/2...dad helped bill put the com on, they averaged about 10's.
    i cornered dad, sorry son i could not risk telling you but i had 20 on at 8's for you.
    norm coombe rode it and said "the only way this will get beaten is if i fall off and i tell you i am not going to fall off"
    the horse finished up a bugger of a thing, always running 2nd or 3rd...
    yes, JJ eric named his stable kerim lodge, he and his partner had a daughter soon after,,,yep, u guessed right.."kerim"..

JayJay likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Norm Coombe landed another plunge----never forget this one,Old man  said to  my brother & I.  You both have ten to bet with today.  brother goes to one end  the back parade ring, I head the other end. organize to meet at this tree---

Both arrive tell the old man what our choice was both had picked same horse it was something else to look at Volatile old man, said his well bred by indian conquest----Huge crowd on course, old man says wait to the prices comesover the loud speaker , Volatile 100/1. not pushing me way through to back 100/1 horse-----Still rings in my ears Barry Thomas Voatile 100s into16s trained -by B.Sherry don't you thinki
    he will  be driking some tonight
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Bernie Sherryies old stables still stand in Moreing street Ascot STG. He was in between Roley Ransoms and Peter Mckays (dont think i have spelt that right)
    indian conquest was a great sire...brought by sally oakes, the daughter of the renouned sheila gwynne. i think he was a replacement for raconteur.
    i'll tell a story about him if anybody is interested...

Tucool likes this post.

• meatpiemeatpie    410 posts
    Eric Denning think trained two good horses at the same time, thinking one was Double Trust.

he also had a good filly, tiny but won a few races in a row, Mark Sestich used to ride, think it had Rose or similar in its name.
    Reg Rayment trained out of Rowley Ransomes yard later. Rare Flyer etc
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited November 2020
    The only one ever told to back was a stayer named Irish Coffee, not that it was flying or anything, they were a bunch of pluggers and the rest apparently weren't trying too hard ha ha, it won, hoop was Terry Buswell. Think had $2.50 on it...the great green $2 note and a Captain Cook 50 cent piece.

Next start favourite - unplaced.

Can just recall the names Bynsaab and Volatile, there was another one running around in that era can remember - Lyric Writer.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited November 2020
    Double Trust that's a good memory name. Was wondering if he was a grey, not sure now.

One roughie backed a few times - Silent Tom.
    Another one can recall, ran in the blue and black colours - think the Millers were involved, looked like it had good potential but never hit the heights - Captain Blood.

Recall taking a sickie from work to go to Northam one day to back one horse only - Bank Teller, biggest cert of all time, easy to say now,...was lucky too because don't think did another thing. In fact even that day could barely lift its legs over the concluding stages, the rest they were just slower.
    Where was Eurythmic stables situated.----- Seven perth cup winners came from them stables-- for J.J. Kelly. by 1938. the stables where  Ray Whittleston trained from,around 1960. just wonder did they ever produce another perth cup winner..

JLS_Whittleston likes this post.

Tis may help uncover who was apprenticed to J.Cambell this apprentice listing was out of a race book from the second day of the  Quenns birthday meeting held at Perth racecourse monday 11 November 1957
    jpg
    jpg
    APPRENTICE.jpg

Tucool likes this post.

good god, i reckon dad took me that day...in shorts and those leather sandals and a fresh short back and sides haircut, of course mum came so dad could do his thing.
    what a list, and how many of them...wow, i recognise about 6-8 of them....graeme webster a claimer..
    =D>
    Hope it was a winning day Falc, and dad took you and mum to the European club to celebrate the win with a feed of spatccock
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    The latter part of this thread should be renamed 'Memory Lane'.

Eric Denning... I recall his horse Melbourne Flyer

Jock Campbell... I recall Green Laddie... Welter races

Indian Conquest was a good sire. As a youngster nearly of legal age to invest I had a system that incorporated backing Indian Conquest horses first up in a race. Worked well.

JimmyPop likes this post.

jock had a squillion good horses, nicopolis, owned by ferza brady and millefleurs owned by that lady who had a hat shop in london court.
    did he train for my old mate nick august?
    Morya Bradshaw hat lady ?---  gee remember  seeing nick august's name  frequent. Did he own  sheroylthe---think K. Applin.trainer ?---Countess of Cork  was flying machine. as young horse.by Zvornik----Falc.
    Moira Bradshaw was a florist in London Court hence the names Millefleurs and Pot o Fleurs.

savethegame, thefalcon, Tucool likes this post.

no, it means plenty of flowers...
    on the subject of french names, that horse of parnhams, neufbocs means 9goats...go figure...
  • Neufbosc is a town in France.

Goat in French is Chevres
    edited November 2020
    Neufbosc is english for...Thank god it won last start  :D
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    :)) someone's been yanking your chain Falc.

Good to know the french translation for goat may use it to be less offensive if one I back "underachieves"

It's Ziege in German "Was fur eine verdammte Ziege"

thefalcon likes this post.

Falc Did you hear about the Frenchman Thierry that started Bulla Bulling Off Thierry ran every power line in the town----People never ever said there goes Thierry the linesman. Thierry connect ed the water to every house Townspeople would never say There goes Thierry the plumber.

Thierry said but you ____one Goat.
    ok i cheated, i knew neuf is 9 in french and googled "bosc" and it told me it meant "goats". hand up, i pharqued up... b-(

no, savethegame, nick did not own sheroylyth, it was by an unknown sire o/o an unknown mare. nick had a lot of good horses, baywana and a host of others. when he got out of gaol they spirited one over to adelaide, treen went over to ride and it got the dosh, dave clarke trained it.
    did you know nick was probably the only person shot by edgar alan cooke that lived to tell the "porkie" tale.got a graze on the neck.

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Robbie ( Rails) Davidson was one of those jockeys who would work a horse on the track and come in and give an honest opinion as to the horses nature and mindset. He would never can one outright in the modern fashion and would exhaust all possibilities generally to get one firing. He could barely hit a horse with the whip without falling off and some horses he rode showed enormous form reversals ....they thought he was just a passenger.
    Rails was very accomplished at setting one up when he was on the job.
    Bought a horse once for $2 K that was a 19 start maiden with 2 thirds at Narrogin his best result. 
    RD took a shine to him and spent hours re educating him to overcome his mental issues....eventually he won 9 ran 9 seconds and 9 thirds and started in the 1992 Perth Cup.
    i honestly cannot remember a robbie d.
    come on, who ran in the 1992 cup?
    :-\"
    Flashing Grey ...trained by Fred Kersley ( first G 1 starter I think) Ridden by Jeff Berry that day.
    By a little known sire Impressario out of a former WATC horse of the year Smart Pixie. She won an Initial Stakes over 900m and later on won over 2300m. She was the reason I decided to buy him from Frank Federici who had advertised him. He was agoraphobic- not Frank....the horse.
    edited November 2020
    i honestly cannot remember a robbie d.

I remember a Phil Davidson

On the translation front  do you recall John F. Kennedy’s famous Ich bin ein Berliner” speech.

The common narrative is that, while he tried declaring his solidarity with the people of Berlin, JFK instead proclaimed “I am a jelly doughnut”.  The word ein (should have been ich) was incorrect but made a big difference.

• ManchildManchild    679 posts
    Rob was Phil's Brother , mainly a country jockey from memory.
    Other brothers that rode same era. Micheal & Martin Macphilomney, Harry & John  Wulff. Shaun& Garry Mcgruddy --Martin may have been Ken James foremen. for a .lot years.-----

Micheal Macphilomney won railways stakes on Cambana Lad,  2--- kalg.cups---. Makvaya --Seminole  Brave 2---- Hannans Cambana Lad& Special Test- Coolgardie Cup.-Seminole Brave. Brilliant  allround horseman, ,was big part of Jungle Masters Hannans Win ---Do remember jungle master winning at least 12 races but sure he never won away from kalgoorlie might have run third in a guineas.

Shaun Mcgruddy snr won  hannans hcp on Santa Brae.  Harry Wulff was a top apprentice rode w.a horse in melb. to win tattered and torn for  billy dillon ---Still remember Bert Bryant saying never have seen anyone ride this short in the irons as this boy from the west.

Tucool likes this post.

Correct @Manchild. Sadly deceased now Rob was a loyal local in Kalgoorlie and rode for a number of years there. He had a long time association with trainer John (Popeye) Eaton and rode a number of good priced well supported winners for him...one nice horse called Maitre De Mine comes to mind.
    Phil was a very good rider. He was badly hurt in a fall I think which wrecked his career