G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 30 Non Members

Comments

• careycarey    6,368 posts
    edited February 2021

Unlike Carey,who has adopted the doctrine of Papal infallibility, I will admit my errors.

I incorrectly stated that Tim Wilson was the member for Kew, He is in fact the Federal member for Goldstein.

Carey  was  actually referring to Tim Smith who is the member for Kew . Therefore my comments about Carey "having issues with the gay community" were out of line, and I apologise.

so i guess your old man was an each way bookie, and it's rubbed off on the offspring.
    he is wrong, but qualifies it, with admonishing me for 'papal infallibility'
    i should give him a serve, but i can't stop laughing at the absurdity of it all.

edited February 2021
    and i just reread his next to last.
    so if by chance i was referring to tim wilson as dim tim, what the fug has being gay got to do with it?
    there is no relevance, it was just you trying to score points, buy insinuating i am anti-gay.
    the mind boggles.
    i made NO mention of it.

let me give you my number one rule on life.......
    i don't give a fug, if they are black, yellow, white, prefer same sex, both sexes, trans, anything.
    it is NONE OF MY BUSINESS.
    i judge them on other things.

• VoodooVoodoo    1,234 posts
    H-BOMBER said:

The lockdown isn't responsible for the 0 cases this far, I agree with that statement. The "journalists" are trying so hard to try and catch these guys out with stupid questions like "women are being requested to wear a mask for child birth, can you comment on that"?. I mean please, this is a classic example of the journalism these days.

But the lockdown has been necessary. The 12 day tests will be interesting late next week and hopefully they are all zero. And if they are all zero, there will be the cry of lockdown not necessary etc etc. This is all great in hindsight. What if it's 100? 1000? The Gov has continued to proclaim a cautious approach, which this lockdown is. There may be 0 next week. There may be 100. What ever it is, it would be a damn sight lower because of this 5 day restriction.

McGowan is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. I'd say let the expert advisers do their job and the Premier make the tough decisions based on this. Really, the level of complaining and disdain for the Gov is getting tiring.

Far too much common sense in this statement bomber.....slap yourself with a wet sock as punishment.... =D>

thefalcon, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Hey Skids is page upon page of eastern states politicians and media relevant to WA tab not being open. I think not
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Will-up the stakes, my ten cents worth, From someone who went to school to eat there lunch & go over the photos in race -track.. 

Thought W.A. had only one trump card  in the beginning the '''TYRANNY'' of distance,word I found its meaning when the C.EO. of RWWA. with the  Total lockdown-- Kalgs. G.M.T.C.  Geraldton &,Harvey tracks .

.Mcgowan did initiated a wage freeze in 2017--- for four years.Burt said thats alright Mark ,I get 800k.a year in charge of 500 people =))  :-\" .You get 370k in charge of 2-million people.

Mcgowan has made one blue should have rolled from Racing .Minister to  C.E.O. OF RWWA. wouldn't have to attend press conferences daily in a bag of fruit.

West Aussies love of Bali---- Balinese at the time --- saying only corona comes in stubbie.  Plus how the remote communities half -moon the state with there locations.Thought Mcgowan and his crew have always been one step in front of  the game.You can't factor in what sasuage fingers security guards, with I.Ques of a grapes going to play marbles withnext.He will keep us safe &,He will  fix the latest..problem.

Remote Community Pandemic Plans were put.in place,Travel to these regions wasn't a option . alot of the people are non -conformists with obtaining a drivers licence etc., ,so asking to isolate for 14 days if there was a issue may have been a bridge to far.So Ben Wyatts knowledge was a big plus.

Hard to replace  Mick Murray see he retires in a couple of weeks.Has always played with a straight bat,drags them out from under the wood pile and stomps on them,.Don't know who will rock up now with a pair coconuts swinging in the sugar bag..

24 pages have to run a place in the lockdown cup at 100s-- nail you on the line Spinking for 3rd.

spinking likes this post.

• Precision1Precision1    544 posts
    H-BOMBER said:

The lockdown isn't responsible for the 0 cases this far, I agree with that statement. The "journalists" are trying so hard to try and catch these guys out with stupid questions like "women are being requested to wear a mask for child birth, can you comment on that"?. I mean please, this is a classic example of the journalism these days.

But the lockdown has been necessary. The 12 day tests will be interesting late next week and hopefully they are all zero. And if they are all zero, there will be the cry of lockdown not necessary etc etc. This is all great in hindsight. What if it's 100? 1000? The Gov has continued to proclaim a cautious approach, which this lockdown is. There may be 0 next week. There may be 100. What ever it is, it would be a damn sight lower because of this 5 day restriction.

McGowan is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. I'd say let the expert advisers do their job and the Premier make the tough decisions based on this. Really, the level of complaining and disdain for the Gov is getting tiring.

Why are we asked to check in at every single place we Visit if we are going to lock down every time there is a case?  Surely the point of checking in is so we can request those that have been in contact with the confirmed case to isolate and we don’t need to lockdown virtually the entire WA population.  Clearly someone in Dunsborough is zero chance of having the virus yet is in lockdown.  

I’ve heard many times in this thread it’s a minor inconvenience.  I’m sorry but locking down 2 million people at the whim of a government is a big deal and needs to be justified.  I’m not saying do nothing but lockdown should not be the first step.  
    Story of my life STG. Getting nailed for the Ticky money

savethegame likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    edited February 2021
    I'd answer the check in question by saying that this is vital because the whereabouts of "Patient 0" is only the tip of the iceberg.

Patient 0 goes to 20 places while suspected to be positive. Let's say for argument that each of those 20 places, there were 10 people who were in the same establishment around a similar time. So, effectively, approximately 200 people have been in "contact" with patient 0. Lockdown 200 people then? Unfortunately no. The contact tracing on these 200 people reveal that again, for arguments sake, they each went to 5 more places...of which as mentioned above, had 10 people who were in the same place at the same time. So 50 more people in contact PER original contact trace. Meaning that the new 200 people initially have been in contact with patient 0 potentially have been in  contact with 10000 new people (200 x 50) based on the conservative examples. It adds up extremely quickly, hence the term exponential growth (in this case it's more logarithmic). 

I don't know, but at those numbers it is much easier to put a region/regions in lockdown immediately rather than waiting the week to trace all people, where effectively 100s of thousands of contact events can be made. 

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    i dips me lid to you bomber old pal. you are a voice of reason.... =D>
  • SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts
    spinking said:

Hey Skids is page upon page of eastern states politicians and media relevant to WA tab not being open. I think not

You don't have to read it.

bookielover likes this post.

Your right
    What's on my right?

thefalcon likes this post.

• bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    edited February 2021
    Bomber, you remind me of the days  when my kids went to school, and a kid, who was obviously sick, would be sent to the school by a neglectful, couldn't give a continental parent, and, of course, just about every kid in that kid's class would catch the bug. 

Sometimes, my kid, who caught the bug from another kid, would pass it on to me.

So what you have said, is absolutely correct. McGowan did the right thing., although, personally, I reckon 3 days would have done it.

The issue for many of us out there, is that these lockdowns have caused, particularly here in Victoria, irreparable harm, not just for business, and the loss of thousands of jobs which won't come back, but up to and including suicides. The suicide help line in Melbourne is dealing with hundreds of calls from people on the brink of self harm.

And what has led to the lockdowns in every State where there has been a lock down, the incompetence of the Government in charge, be they Labour or Liberal.

If they were going to let people come home to Australia from overseas, then surely, before anyone gets on a plane, they needed to be tested the way, I and my wife would have had to be tested, had we decided to go on our holiday to South Australia tomorrow, rather than make the decision to cancel it.

The Government of S.A told us that upon arrival, we had to get tested. 

Then we had to wait and isolate in our hotel room, for, they told us, up to three days.  Then on day five, get tested again and isolate until we got the result, then do it again on day 12 and isolate again. We were going for 15 days, and there was no way we were going to spend up to 9 days of it locked up in our hotel room.

But that was our personal choice,and we are going elsewhere next week, where those rules won't be imposed.

The fact is, that I actually agree with those rules. The Government of S.A. wanted to be sure that we, along with others crossing into their State, were Covid free. So we don't have an issue with  them.

My issue is with the very same Governments who have  imposed these rules on locals,  did not insist that before anyone was allowed to fly back home from overseas, they had to go through the same regimen that we would have gone through, prior to boarding the plane.

If the person tested negative after the three tests, then the Governments could have said, O.K., when you arrive, in order for us to be entirely confident that you are negative, you can now isolate at home for 14 days, and we will test you again on day 11, and if you are clear, away you go.

What they did, was let infected people get on planes, and then quarantine them when they arrived. Which is why almost every day,we get a Covid update from all the health people around the Country, saying there are one, two, three etc  new cases in hotel quarantine. 

What they are actually saying, is these people got on a plane carrying the bloody virus. 

One result, for example, was that a flight attendant who landed in NSW, and was infected, left quarantine, went to the North Shore and created havoc in NSW. Had that person undergone a strict testing regime prior to coming here, perhaps that crisis could have been avoided.

I said perhaps, because perfect results are virtually impossible to achieve. 

However, I reckon that had all State and the Federal Governments adopted a you must test negative before you board to come back here policy, perhaps,the quarantine hotel issues and the severe lockdowns that particularly our State went through, could have been avoided.

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    Didn’t Eddie used to say what a big week it has been in football.
    Well in 5 days in Perth we have gone from panic buying Sunday Monday and long waiting times for Covid testing to .......crickets.
    McGoo obviously noted Dan Andrew’s pulling a 10.30pm press conference last night so he is doing a late one as well. Not as late because daylight saving in the east would take some of the sting out of his air time. Ouch !!!
    Being the premier who has built his popularity on the back of Covid the timing of all this has provided him with the air time he needs to roll into the upcoming election. If I was planning a strategy, well his has been timed to the minute. A few little hiccups with “security gate” but all in all a plan well carried out.
    Oh well, looks like back to the office for me post tomorrow. This lockdown hasn’t been kind to the midriff but discipline has never been my strong point with snacking and the punt.

:D
  • Precision1Precision1    544 posts
    H-BOMBER said:

I'd answer the check in question by saying that this is vital because the whereabouts of "Patient 0" is only the tip of the iceberg.

Patient 0 goes to 20 places while suspected to be positive. Let's say for argument that each of those 20 places, there were 10 people who were in the same establishment around a similar time. So, effectively, approximately 200 people have been in "contact" with patient 0. Lockdown 200 people then? Unfortunately no. The contact tracing on these 200 people reveal that again, for arguments sake, they each went to 5 more places...of which as mentioned above, had 10 people who were in the same place at the same time. So 50 more people in contact PER original contact trace. Meaning that the new 200 people initially have been in contact with patient 0 potentially have been in  contact with 10000 new people (200 x 50) based on the conservative examples. It adds up extremely quickly, hence the term exponential growth (in this case it's more logarithmic). 

I don't know, but at those numbers it is much easier to put a region/regions in lockdown immediately rather than waiting the week to trace all people, where effectively 100s of thousands of contact events can be made. 

You are not even close in your assessment. You are not contagious the moment you come into a contact with a positive case which your argument assumes is the case.  Locking up the 200 contacts will do the job unless the positive case had been out in the community for basically a full week which we know wasn’t the case here and basically never is.  

Look if you are happy getting locked up at the drop of a hat on the basis of fear being fed to you by the government that’s your business.  I like to question these things to ensure they are appropriate responses

detonator likes this post.

I never said contagious. Not once.

This is CONTACT tracing. Touching your face, coughing, handling things etc etc etc when positive. These are contact events. You can only really quantify this through the App and Contact Tracing. If positive, I couldn't tell you how many surfaces I touched, products handled, how many times I touched my face if asked. And nobody can.

Hence the hand sanitizing, 1.5 m distance and all the other advice given. And because of the 10 months of no local transmission, these practices have lapsed considerably.

The case in question has checked into most places and you could assume that they used practices of hand sanitizing etc which limits the spread.

But you cannot be sure.

I'm not here to argue, I'm putting forward my knowledge in over 20 years in Science/Research. Take it as you wish.

jum, thefalcon likes this post.

I find it ironic that the only business shutdown in W.A at 3.00pm, when the highly infectious guard was announced to the world and we were going to be in lockdown from 6.00pm, was the Bunbury Racecourse. 
    Every trading outlet in W.A could still stay open till 6.00pm. Including any pub surrounding the Bunbury Racecourse.
    Tonight McGoo announced that the SouthWest (Bunbury region and surrounds) could return to normal life as before the lockdown. NO RESTRICTIONS. But Perth still has some restrictions for another week.
    Just sayin. 
    B-)
    I just can't handle these "journalists" in these press conferences.

It's a game of catch out the Premier for a story. The questions need to come from health professionals at least.

One of my favorites

"Will Playgrounds and DISPLAY HOMES be open on the weekend?"

Also, the whole "dancing debate" really was cringe worthy to say the least.

carey, thefalcon, oldhendo, VillageKid likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    edited February 2021
    i nodded off  :)) the level of intelligence in the movie Grown Ups 2(which they interrupted for the bs-athon)i think is/was higher than the dilllbits asking those lame questions of Commandant McGee and co.

Commandant. Haha. That one is going to stick.
    Didn’t stick around for question time but it sounds like I didn’t miss much.
    As soon as McGoo strutted out trying to not smirk as he spun his “I have saved the world” spin, I went into cringe mode as well.
    Wasn’t too much lockdown going on at Bunnings Bayswater today around 1.00pm.
    Business as usual. Car park full. Didn’t realise the tradies these days wore shorts thongs and tee shirts. Seems every job they do entails a tin of paint and weed killing agents.
    Hmmm. Oh well.
    =))
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    edited February 2021
    McGoo is a disgrace. He was a non entity premier until he read that over 90% poll favoured him and I didn't believe that fake poll for one second. Since that poll he turned up for interviews with a previously unseen swagger, hands on hips and hand in pocket (very appropriate).

I thought McGoo was a lawyer in the Navy. Reads his prepared notes written by his scriptwriter like a twelve year old. Hardly a word is delivered off the cuff and at times when he attempts to do so he struggles.

The lockdown wasn't necessary. The post lockdown restrictions are certainly not necessary. McGOWAN YOU ARE NOT NECESSARY

I detest the tosser.  

SKIDS likes this post.

edited February 2021
    Manchild said:

Bookielover ,

its a pity that the journalists (I use the term loosely ) did not read the data from Prof Clancy.  

Liam Bartlett is another you can add. He had a fair go at Craig Kelly yesterday on 6PR and after requests from listeners he interviewed Prof Clancy this morning. On gaining the facts and realising he may have been premature with his Kelly judgement he proceeded with a weak interview and no apology for being woefully wrong the day before.

Hey Bartlett it would have taken you a lot less than 60 MINUTES to have read up on the factual information Craig Kelly had been disseminating.

edited February 2021
    One of the post lockdown rules;

Teaching staff are permitted to remove their mask if teaching at the front of the classroom to enable clear enunciation

In that case why can't anyone else do the same when talking to others and therefore why wear a mask in the first place particularly when it makes no difference anyway?

SKIDS, bookielover, thefalcon likes this post.

edited February 2021
    By the way where is Liberal leader Zak Kirkup? Kirkup is a far better speaker and is a state load more confident off the cuff that panic merchant McGowan. 

Now that McGoo has issued the election writ to Beazley Kirkup has every right to be standing with McGoo at these press conferences.

Interestingly Liberal Kirkup's girlfriend is Jenna Clark the assistant editor for the labor rag West Australian and 92.9 breakfast co presenter plus she regularly appears on Sky with Paul Murray.
  • bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    So dictator Dan at his press conference this morning tellsus that there are three new covid cases, ALL IN HOTEL QUARANTINE.

That was the point I was making in previous post.

All the cases that we are getting are hotel quarantine cases from people that are returning from overseas, NOT LOCALLY ACQUIRED CASES.

We are an Island Country, and we would not have had any issues at all, if we weren't importing the virus. 

It just proves how hopeless our authorities have been by not insisting that everyone prior to their return test negative before boarding a plane.

Another good one.
    I got to see my GP this morning, deserted practice and he didn't have another appointment for an hour, so we had a yarn for a while.... instead of fixing what needed to be fixed, not allowed to, until Monday.

I've got a couple of skin cancers that need removing, one is driving me nuts (itchy), but, all elective surgery has been banned during lock down.

Now, I understand we need to do things to ensure this nasty flu doesn't spread, but why do we have to throw common sense out the window?
    There is no reason whatsoever that I shouldn't have 10 stitches in my chest right now.

At least we can exercise without a mask, can't ride a bike with a mask on.
    But, if me 'n the missus are in a car together, we need to have a mask on?... come on, that is just brain dead stuff.

While I'm all fired up about our peanut premier.... his vote buying, $600 million power bill credit, was an absolute disgraceful use of funds.
    That money could have purchased 15 chopper water bombers... 15!!
    If we had 15 more of those, that fire burning right now would have been extinguished in hours.

In fact, our governments are all gutless wonders. Bush fires cost Australia over $50 billion over the last 12 months... why don't we have fleets of water bombers, they're $40 million each ffs!

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    Some of the comments in this thread  :-?  :-?  :-?  ~X(

I'm certain some of you on here are the same Journalists that were asking the questions at Mcgowan's presser last night.

>-)

Thunderstruck, VillageKid likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    YES surely it must be time to give it a rest fellas?

I guess Mcgowan haters already KNOW or should it's four more years of the Commandant coming right up :D
    edited February 2021
    there, i moved it for you!
    What a totally unconscionable disingenuous imbecile you are Carey.

You clearly state in a post,  that (you) "have been able to play golf for ages".

This turned out to be a LIE, as you now admit that you "do NOT play golf full stop"

The fact is, that since the end of the 112 day lockdown, golf has been permitted, as has fishing which was also banned 

This was never the point of Slippergolden's post, and you knew it. Hence your intellectual dishonesty and your lie.

As
    for me saying that you castigated a gay man, I, unlike the
    intellectually dishonest, and now proven by your own words, liar that
    YOU are, apologised publicly in a post for getting it wrong.

At
    least I can say that my parents brought me up with a sense of morals
    and ethics and the capacity to publicly apologise when I say, or do, or
    write things  which are in error.

You, on the
    other hand, were unfortunately brought you up to accompany each post
    with demeaning, rude, disrespectful and insulting comments, aimed
    squarely at those whom you hate, and disagree with.

You really are a morally bankrupt individual,and I won't be engaging with you any further. 

Oh,
    and thank you for the Benny Hill reference. He is recognised by all 
    comedians and those in the entertainment industry as a comedic genius. I
    accept your reference as a great compliment.

See, even you can be nice if you try hard enough.

edited February 2021
    all that cos he thinks i left an 'I' off
    mind boggling

meatpie likes this post.

This discussion has been closed.