G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 25 Non Members

WHERE ARE THESE GUYS?

West Australian Racing

Comments

• spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    That’s no good Falcon. How long ago did that happen?. Stewy was the master of his own destiny, as we all are and only has himself to blame for where he ended up. But before his troubles began at the time he was flying. Advertising commitments ring announcing at the boxing he was everywhere. But allways had the time to stop and have a chat.Wish The bloke a full recovery
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    spink, do you know he remembers the full placegetters of the 1st race ever at cannington, which he called...i reckon he could still call it.
    i'll find out and send you a personal.

spinking likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    I would appreciate that Falcon. Always liked Stewie regardless of his shortcomings. And that doesnt surprise me about the first dog race at Cannington.He was always good for a entertaining yarn about his calling days. Dont reckon i have seen him since they steamrolled the old Bel Eyre tavern and that was some time back. Once asked him what was one of his more funnier calls and he told me this. Cant remember the horses name but in was hopelessly snookerd away on the fence. Stew said Charles Manson got more chance of getting out than the horse

Desperado likes this post.

• shothrushothru    243 posts
    thefalcon said:

whats a "blower"? :-??

The mind boggles
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    What about the former top jockey - Alby Smith - well balanced - didnt belt them - use to ride that top sprinter Coal Pak ( however unfortunately for him - he jumped off it - and Harry White won the Oakleigh Plate on it  )

I actually had 2 favourite gallopers back the ( when i actually followed the gallops ) - Coal Pak being one of them ( did it wear a shadow roll or something - or did it have a white blaze  on its face - i cant remember ) and the other one was a horse by the name  of Callingiri City - could be a world beater on its day and at a price 
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,743 posts
    edited December 2020
    A.Smith rode the biggest plunged horse to victory that I know of in WA at Belmont in late 70s.. 78 or 79 possibly the latter.. Prince Alga..100 to 7/2. Wally Mitchell was the trainer I believe.  I pencilled for a bookie at the time. Smith was then attacked the following week. A fellow senior top jockey was implicated. I won't name him in case I am mistaken but do not think I am.

Markovina likes this post.

how much did your bookie lose, slip?
    100's to  7/2 looks huge on paper but they may have only averaged 6-7/1...if that.
  • ManchildManchild    681 posts
    It was a big go, I think they took $300k out of the ring
    that would be millions in todays money...bet guys like ken gray, rod evans, alan wells etc would have had nightmares...
    Wally & Ginger couldn't carry it all. 

thefalcon likes this post.

Markovina said:

What about the former top jockey - Alby Smith - well balanced - didnt belt them - use to ride that top sprinter Coal Pak ( however unfortunately for him - he jumped off it - and Harry White won the Oakleigh Plate on it  )

I actually had 2 favourite gallopers back the ( when i actually followed the gallops ) - Coal Pak being one of them ( did it wear a shadow roll or something - or did it have a white blaze  on its face - i cant remember ) and the other one was a horse by the name  of Callingiri City - could be a world beater on its day and at a price as
    Markovina said:

I actually had 2 favourite gallopers back the ( when i actually followed the gallops ) - Coal Pak being one of them ( did it wear a shadow roll or something - or did it have a white blaze  on its face - i cant remember ) and the other one was a horse by the name  of Callingiri City - could be a world beater on its day and at a price 
    Markovina said:

Markovina said:

AS fit and well living in Ascot
    gee manchild wally and big ginger were very good mates.
    remember little ginger, ran that dive in william street.....funny, it rarely got raided and everybody knew where and what it was.
    those were the good old days..the real "wild west" with every second cop either slightly bent or 100% bent...

Manchild likes this post.

• meatpiemeatpie    410 posts
    was the owner of Prince Alga Larry or Laurie Gardiner, tall guy with slicked back black hair

was there that day raced in his colours white and red
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Les Gardiner and was white and red colours.
    just flicking thru racebook  karrakatta day, 14th dec 1991 so anyone know how the following are going
    brad ball
    jeffrey berry
    troy jackman

on that day paddy carbery still claimed 3kg and jason brown 1.5kg..
    Troy is good, he has a couple of racehorses
    I don’t know about the others
    edited January 2021
    Brad Ball rode Lee Steere horses for a stint didn't he?

Troy Jackman in the eighties was responsible for one of my biggest collects. He had a stint over in the far east...Victoria. 

Excuse my ignorance but do the Holmes A Courts still have an interest in racing? 

Rod Kemp?

^^ a) i do not know...b) what was the win in?..c) a very slight interest i think...d) you obviously never go to the track, rod is there every week and is loved and admired by all.
    What is Dan Miller up to since the forced retirement?
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts

What is Dan Miller up to since the forced retirement?

Saw him on Friday night SG, he is still helping out with the pony trots at GP.
    Great guy is Danny.

Tucool, SLIPPERGOLDEN, Desperado, Chelsea likes this post.

pottering around his property, working his wifes horses, helping his kids, enjoying a day at the races..mainly pinjarra as its close to home.
    you can bet he's still up at the crack of dawn...you can't get out of the habit, graeme webster is up before the paper lobs, told me he is up about 3ish..when hash, hotjules etc are just getting home, like chris in his heyday.

SLIPPERGOLDEN likes this post.

I have posted previously about meetings with Danny. Though he didn't really know me my encounters with him were always positive and cheerful.

VillageKid, thefalcon likes this post.

thats danny, slip. reminds me i have to call damien...
    just saw where randy tan rode a second at ballarat today. anyone know how he's making a buck over there as he rarely gets a ride.
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    He’s a drift car driver in his spare time falc
    Featured in an Aussie movie that was out in the cinemas recently called Fast and the Furious, I’ll get you a copy on DVD :D
    anyone know where alan kennedy is?
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    He was riding at Lark Hill trials yesterday Falc

thanks mate.
    thefalcon said:

just flicking thru racebook  karrakatta day, 14th dec 1991 so anyone know how the following are going

brad ball
    jeffrey berry
    troy jackman

thefalcon said:

brad ball
    jeffrey berry
    troy jackman

thefalcon said:

brad ball
    jeffrey berry
    troy jackman

believe chuck is working as a handyman in rural victoria