G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 26 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    Also it is far to simplistic to say meetings at 'prime tracks' generate more turnover so we should have more centralized racing.

I had a few bets AT GP friday night, had a couple at Bunbury sat too but you could have run that Wiliams meeting at Gloucester Park, could haver had it at my front door and I wasn't going to have a bet on it. I bet a few of the locals did though and that maintained their interest in the sport, they might follow up with a bet on something they liked at its next start where ever that is as well.

You can't just continue to squeeze the same sponge and expect to get more out of it. The bottom line is to grow turnover yep you might get some of us who are regulars to punt a bit more through various changes but you need to grow the audience, participation, "brand", call it what you will. Can have the greatest handicapping system on earth, the most up tempo tactical racing in the world but if only a handful of us know about it nothing much is going to change.

This is meant with no offense to anyone here but a large number of you are well intrenched in the bubble or grew up in a different era, there is a huge population out there that don't even know what harness racing/the trots are. I'm not talking about people far removed from what you would consider like minded interests ether. One of the boys from work-loves his footy, punts on the gallops regularly, no idea what the trots were. Have done my best to explain it, send him a message when I have backed one to see if I can shout the coffees the next day.

He would take his Mrs and the kid along to GP in a heart beat for a food truck evening. Then he'd have a few bets, I could tell him horse X he backed last week is in again, bang he's a convert. 

curmudgeon likes this post.

• Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts
    JayJay said:

Furthermore, WA is the umbilical cord for racing stock into the NSW regions. And most of the eastward bound HWOE refugees are coming from those who would be most affected by the well organised "close everything down unless it is close to my joint" regional lynching party.So, an orchestrated two pronged attack on the lesser profile stables who cant even begin to compete with the buy huge, race briefly, flog to the US brigade. Yep, sounds like a fantastic recipe for industry resurrection, water tight. At least their position is out in the open now, instead of all the behind the hand snickering and disingenuous smile and nod patronising.

Buy big from nz do a job then on sell is what you’ve tried except you haven’t bought anything worth on selling
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Inaccurate on so many fronts it is laughable.
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Given the current situation closing down all other clubs other than the big three is the most logical business decision.
    However if it does come to this I hope the decision makers at least put a racing plan forward to the industry instead of just swinging the axe.
    Does the industry get the same amount of meetings, will there be extra stake money due to the decrease in expenses and meetings etc etc.
    I am not for closing down to three tracks in any way but it has now become the only out.
    My beef and has been all along is
    A) Who has been steering the vehicle that has got the industry into this position ?
    B) Has this been the plan all along, because I certainly thought so.

Given the current situation closing down all other clubs other than the big three is the most logical business decision.
    However if it does come to this I hope the decision makers at least put a racing plan forward to the industry instead of just swinging the axe.
    Does the industry get the same amount of meetings, will there be extra stake money due to the decrease in expenses and meetings etc etc.
    I am not for closing down to three tracks in any way but it has now become the only out.
    A) Who has been steering the vehicle that has got the industry into this position ?

I don’t think we need to close the clubs, just the tracks the clubs are more than welcome to continue on at the premiere tracks like York has done
    Club/Track no different Rocket, once it’s closed it the remaining people slowly but surely move on to other interests.
  • aussiebattleraussiebattler    277 posts

I don’t think we need to close the clubs, just the tracks the clubs are more than welcome to continue on at the premiere tracks like York has done
    Many Clubs have tried  that and folded there is also a difference to clubs remaining and races still being in their region like York at Northam and what you propose of Williams at Bunbury their would be no interest for a club to do that 

Many Clubs have tried  that and folded there is also a difference to clubs remaining and races still being in their region like York at Northam and what you propose of Williams at Bunbury their would be no interest for a club to do that 

Then don’t do it but at least they have the option

Then don’t do it but at least they have the option
    What tracks would you close 
    And it’s not much of an option even Harvey disbanded and spread their funds to community clubs 
    Keep the major 3 + Collie Albany and Busselton, the Sunday meetings would be at pinjarra same programming same stakes which is 4500 races picked in reverse order. Same for Friday second meeting but that be run at Bunbury
  • PictureSon1973PictureSon1973    138 posts
    The divisions between Country & City can’t be more apparent than seen on posts above a very sad
    situation in my view and I’m born & bred in the City.
    Love to know where Jrs , S.Mc’s , Chopper , Mickey G , Curley , A.C, L.B,K.P, Snr ,Browny,A.D,J.P basically all the States reinsman today & yesteryear all had their first drive?
    You got to start in the Minor league before you get to the Big League .
    No Minor tracks will equate to a small pool of Drivers and how will you replenish your
    Driving Ranks when you will have basically 12 Elite Drivers primarily of the male Gender.
    You in time have alienated the female participants and punters.

Unfortunately Harness Racing is a Business and it does have to pay its way but Country tracks do
    need to be more financially efficient & productive . Realistically full time racing at Williams not possible as is evident .
    Why can’t Northam have a duel meeting with the Greyhounds surely a more efficient usage of resources for both codes on that track?
    Surely after harvest these tracks can promote their local Cups a 4 week Country Cups Round Locals will have free time to attend try and tie it in with the Local Country Shows May not be possible but
    merely a suggestion

Gilgamesh, VillageKid likes this post.

If you close Wagin and Narrogin, Albany won’t be able to make fields as you will lose too many horses and trainers in the district.
    Collie and Busselton may survive off Bunbury region but what would be the point of two SS tracks getting a few meetings a year.
    As I said if they proceed down this course get it right up front otherwise they will continue to go round in circles.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    edited February 2021
    Meeting CodeGM021200 
    Date02-Dec-00 
    Club NameKALGOORLIE 
    Track NameGOLDEN MILE 
    Race Number
    Race NameG.W.N. STAKES 
    Pace or TrotPACERS 
    AHRC ClassC5-C11 
    Group Status 
    Stakes  $3,851 
    Start TypeMS 
    Distance2518m 

Place

Name
    Prizemoney
    Hcp
    Driver
    Margin
    1  PEE PEE GEE NZ $2,618FT J C SUVALJKO   
    2  THE PROSECUTOR $693FT K M CONDIPODERO 0.50 
    3  UPWARDLY MOBILE NZ $347FT G E Hall Snr 6.25 
    4  OMNIPOTENT $116FT G L WILLIAMS 8.25 
    5  SLICK MACRAY $77FT O J GILBRIDE 8.75 
    6  SALT AND VINEGAR $0FT R H JAMES 26.00 
    7  OPTUS HANOVER $0FT P C BRODIE 47.25 
    8  NO TAKERS $0FT B M ANGUS 66.25 
    9  KICKIN IT $0FT M J SAW 66.25 

Gee....seems G Bond G Hall Snr & G L Williams weren't too proud at one stage to be racing in the country.( Kalgoorlie even) for their own reasons. Wonder what has changed that relative non entities feel they can call to close more country clubs down with no detrimental effect ?  
    edited February 2021

Keep the major 3 + Collie Albany and Busselton, the Sunday meetings would be at pinjarra same programming same stakes which is 4500 races picked in reverse order. Same for Friday second meeting but that be run at Bunbury

Nope won’t work Albany won’t survive they don’t hold many meetings too far for trainers from their to the rest of the 3 main tracks for the majority of the season and half the horses down there are from Kellerberrin or outer trainers .Cant run 12 months a year 
    They would need 
    Narrogin an Northam : Dual code tracks in WA and a lot of funds invested setting the facilities etc up DVN links in place and Narrogin club is on the improve with facilities self funded projects 

My suggestion you Need 
    A Class track GP Friday for the elite horses 
    B Class track Pinjarra Monday /Bunbury And GP split every second Tuesday (they are reluctant to give up meetings at GP but it has to happen ) drawn from top down on FSP 
    C Class tracks  Saturdays Northam/Narrogin/Albany at current stake level Drawn In Ascending order to drive more better performed horse by way of ballot to the midweek meetings 

Fields would be more competitive ,more exiting racing and hopefully better turnover 

It’s up to RWWA and the industry if community tracks survive but the suggestions have been reduction to single cup meetings at some tracks at better stakes levels hopefully (bring them to the same stakes as Narrogin/Northam/Albany plus a Cup race 

With lower horse number it’s probably inevitable that meetings will be reduced the double up fridays may go and extra meeting at the 3 major tracks won’t be possible and Maximisation of profits must be achieved through a different strategy 

It would be more like AFL/WAFL/Country League it does not discriminate on where you are based how big a stable you are and is performance based if your travelling well you race in the big league if your not you head back to the reserves 

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    Why are you lot posting on this vague thread when many of you can legitimately open fresh threads for your topics?
  • maybesomaybeso    84 posts
    JayJay said:

Never argue with an idiot, JJ. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

JayJay likes this post.

maybeso said:

JayJay said:

Never argue with an idiot, JJ. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Feel free to enlighten me on what you’ve tried to do then? Spent good money on horses for Collie and Busselton so you could beat up on the weak fields?
  • ciscocisco    805 posts
    I will tell you something Rocket. Without owners like Jay Jay you dont have an industry! Pull your head in and concentrate on your own backyard!!!

curmudgeon, savethegame, MrSmartArse likes this post.

cisco said:

I will tell you something Rocket. Without owners like Jay Jay you dont have an industry! Pull your head in and concentrate on your own backyard!!!

That’s just a standard quote from either people who have tried and failed or people who are currently trying but failing! I see it the other way. Don’t try drag the industry too its knees so you can compete! Either get better, get out or shut up and accept that more often than not you’re gonna find someone who does it better than you! Harness racing’s biggest downfall is lack of professionalism. It’s people with your mentality and the ones who want to make races weaker that are, have and always will hold it down to this level. There are endless views from the so called ‘little guys’ on how they can make the game more fair or even. It’s absolute bullshit. I’d love to see you guys in charge of a industry like the AFL for example. You’d make the grounds smaller so the slower guys could keep up and widen the goal post so even I could compete with the likes of Tom Hawkins!
    Just a bunch of whinging old men!
    Actually that should be the thread name...

And before you start bashing your keyboard to respond remember that I am the little guy at this stage just doing my best to get better not expect the industry to fall to my level
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    edited February 2021
    I always have judge people in both codes to what levels they  stoop in order to succeed. 

curmudgeon likes this post.

• ciscocisco    805 posts
    I hope 54 is not considered old Rocket although some days I feel 84!!

Rocket_Reign likes this post.

• maybesomaybeso    84 posts

maybeso said:

JayJay said:

Feel free to enlighten me on what you’ve tried to do then? Spent good money on horses for Collie and Busselton so you could beat up on the weak fields?

Well .. I have never been disqualified for 4 years for fixing a race. 

I take great pride in that.
    maybeso said:

maybeso said:

JayJay said:

Well .. I have never been disqualified for 4 years for fixing a race. 

I take great pride in that.

Good job give yourself 2 pats on the back
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    What i found with the Victorian situation when the pandemic 1st  kicked in - to keep their industry open ( and full credit to them ) they basically raced at Bendigo Balarat and Melton ( all very strong harness racing areas 

2 things i found with that ( after several weeks of that format )the racing became so monotonous - same 3 tracks and same horses - i nearly lost complete interest in it -

And from a betting point of view - there was no overs - because they were racing at the same tracks 

Now the Vics have opened up all 24 tracks - the interest and variety comes back - and from a betting point of view - well a horse now can go to say Swan Hill - then perhaps to Geelong - maybe to Cobram or Charlton - then to Shepparton - across to Ballarat - then back to Melton - so because all tracks are different shapes and sizes ( some horses are suited at some tracks and some aernt ) so the form is no where near as exposed - so if you put a bit of time and effort in ( watching replays etc ) and if you have got half a clue  then the beautiful overs re the odds bet ( which totally dissappeared when they were racing on only 3 tracks ) come back into the picture/equation 

Muldoon, freodockers likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    edited February 2021

It would be more like AFL/WAFL/Country League it does not discriminate. 

=))  =))  =))
    I am the president of the Collie Eagles in the SWFL.  I find this sentence hilarious
  • MrSmartArseMrSmartArse    17 posts
    So stop hiding behind a pseudonym Rocket you are very opinionated. So come clean to your audience. Who are you. 
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    I thought Maybeso outed him anyway and not sure that is kocha.

Debate is getting very personal and that will achieve nothing.

Rocket_Reign likes this post.

So stop hiding behind a pseudonym Rocket you are very opinionated. So come clean to your audience. Who are you. 

Oh wow you’d be the only one on here that doesn’t know who I am and in turn I know who everyone on here is apart from yourself and Maybeso
  • MuldoonMuldoon    317 posts

Reading through all this, can someone lead me to a link that RWWA have put on paper that this is a likely thing to happen going foward, or is this all just talk ?

freodockers likes this post.