G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 30 Non Members
No idea how they found a margin between Metallic Queen and Nic’s Daughter.  If anything on the photo on Cris I have Nic’s Daughter 2nd

Comments

• ChrisChris    5,218 posts
    I was on Metallic so I’d like to know
  • Precision1Precision1    544 posts
    I was on Nic’s Daughter so went to the photo to see how far it missed the win by and it clearly did but how it didn’t at least get dead heat for 2nd I’m unsure.  
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    i just had a look 3 times on CRIS, initially i thought nics daughter but the other 2 looks i thought trade prize may have got the bob in.
    that young lass is riding very well and nice to see campbell Mc. get a winner.
    did you notice the first three all had "tc" beside their names.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited April 2021
    Don’t they put a line across the photo anymore, or is that just my phone!
    Those photos they put up in the glass cabinets at Ascot, Belmont, Gloucester Park and Richmond Raceway in 70’s and 80’s were crystal clear .

Black and white from memory for a little while too possibly can’t quite recall. Anyway there’s the line and there’s the noses was clear cut.

Today sheeeeeesh reckon more unclear.

savethegame likes this post.

edited April 2021
    Different run today by Wiener Waltz, looked the winner a few times up the straight, how it missed a place will never know. Seemed to give it away late, interesting track though York, always been horses for courses.

Many moons ago can recall it being a 100% dirt track as Beverly was. York and Toodyay uphill and down dale.
    ^ yeah riders but who the pharque wants to waltz with a sausage...? X_X
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts

Don’t they put a line across the photo anymore, or is that just my phone!
    Those photos they put up in the glass cabinets at Ascot, Belmont, Gloucester Park and Richmond Raceway in 70’s and 80’s were crystal clear .

Black and white from memory for a little while too possibly can’t quite recall. Anyway there’s the line and there’s the noses was clear cut.

Today sheeeeeesh reckon more unclear.

Riders    Remember them days 3-5mm steel cable angled from judges box to mounting yard photo used to come down inside a cylinder for stewards to give all clear---- then a runner would put up the print in glass cabinet for all to see with  the white line in play.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    edited April 2021
    The photo, at Gloucester Park at least, was for the time keeper to allocate times off his "ink dot" stopwatch to all runners.A button on the watch would deposit a small ink dot on the watch face as each horse crossed the line. Hopefully, in a 12 horse field there would be 12 separate ink dots but sometimes there wasn't. The cylinder, which used to fly down the cable from the highly elevated judges tower, also contained the judges placings and margins. My Dad was the timekeeper and I as a young lad would collect the contents and operate the pulley to send the cylinder back up to the tower.
    edited April 2021
    Too right i recall that stg, would come whizzing down with great alacrity, yes the glass cabinet at GP near the tote area almost opposite the winning place was where kept.

It was crystal clear to me, never had the slightest problem whether for first, second or third, not so sure on a few today though, and those pixels or whatever they’ve improved it ? Ok.

The old days of a print and a developed print may have taken longer, but it was more cut and dried. Plus you could bet on the photo result.
    Best judge in photos for along time, no doubt - Max Simmonds and if he didn’t declare then the horse he mentioned first would invariably get it.

More big fields back then, coming from everywhere and there were some terrific tight finishes.

savethegame likes this post.

i watch melbourne races ch78 ocasionally...if there is a tight finish it flashes up on the screen in no time...with the black line so you can easily see the margin...always a nose or a short half head. if the vics have it, why can't we. it would be a doddle for the right geek to set up.
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Wait
    Awhile

There is your answer falc 
    :D