In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 22 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Finally Mitchell Kerr in N.Z dragged him out
    from under the wood heap giving him a Life time ban.Always wondered was there Rollie backs associated with some of the purchases from him.Full story harnesslink.
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    That is unbelievable.
    Was he selling into Aust.

Cant_Refuse, savethegame likes this post.

Quite a few into W.A.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    Breathtaking and disturbing read. Unbelievable hide from a total grub. Surely he gets a long spell in jail. Casts doubt in your mind on any future dealings, a vicious blow to confidence in NZ Harness Racing. Honest operators will be gnashing their teeth.
    Highlights the need for total transparency and documentation before your press the "confirm" button on any purchases from afar.
  • Browny123Browny123    97 posts
    very unusual for a kiwi to be robbing aussie buyers ????
    Agree Browny been going on for years.
    What he has done is obviously at the higher end of the scale though.
    When reading the story I thought money to support drug addiction.
    Nope corporate bookmakers.
    People all ages nowadays if the drugs don’t get them the gambling will.
    Highlights what an issue online gambling has become.
    In its own way in time could be the death of many an industry.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,888 posts
    Yeah the whole story is gambling - phrase no 49 says it all - lost $900k betting - and thus got in a web of deception to cover it 

I see no criminal convictions because of a different level of proof 

You read about it quite often - bookkeepers - they steal a couple of million from the company they work at ( these companies must have terrible internal controls ) and then blow it all on the pokies - and then blame gambling addiction - i think that is a pisss weak excuse - id give them 15-20 years - considering the amount of money they stole etc
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    The telling statement was from the old bloke this germ dudded in the 50/50 deals. His associates in the industry ostracized the old bloke for going to the authorities.....so much so he now races his horses in Southland instead of Canterbury. Birds of a feather.
    Browny123 said:

very unusual for a kiwi to be robbing aussie buyers ????

I might have told this one before

But Dr Geoff Chapman - former Sydney gallops trainer - Myocard fame told the story or the joke 

Your in a single room - your locked in - there is no point of exit . In the room with you is - a live deadly Tiger Snake and a New Zealand horse trainer . Youve got a gun - but you only have got  one bullet 

What would you do ?

And Dr Geoffrey said - id shoot the Kiwi horse trainer - and take my chances with the snake 

savethegame likes this post.

Well at least they don’t paint there horses a different colour.
    Jump off their horse out of the barrier.
    I remember another one Rocket something.
    Funny Man Dr.Geoff flew over W.A. to buy horse called Zemindar around Myocards time.
    Well Zemindar had a bad sway back the price was 500k.
    Had a look at him not paying that for a rocking chair. that was on a Friday next thing .he was at the Kalgoorlie races on Saturday.

Sunday morning he held questions and answers sessions what a straight shooter no checkside when he was telling a story.

Funny Man Dr.Geoff flew over W.A. to buy horse called Zemindar around Myocards time.
    Well Zemindar had a bad sway back the price was 500k.
    Had a look at him not paying that for a rocking chair. that was on a Friday next thing .he was at the Kalgoorlie races on Saturday.

Sunday morning he held questions and answers sessions what a straight shooter no checkside when he was telling a story.

Re Dr Geoff - i think he wrote a book - or it was in an article i read 

But back in the early 80s ( and it shows you how corrupt things were then ) but he had some decent horses - Welter horses - and 2 or 3  of them well fancied and they were getting beaten 20-25 lengths and he was dumfounded - and the swabs came back all good etc 

Thus through an associate or something he met George Freeman  ( Sydney gangster - SP Bookie - had some of the HP drivers on the payroll ) and he said to Freeman - he couldnt understand what was happening to some of his horses - and whether he could sus anything out for him

Freeman got back to him in a couple of weeks time - and told him to have a good hard look at your stable foreman 

Dr Geoffrey confronted him - and the Stable foreman resigned on the spot and fled to Parkes or Dubbo - a long long away from Sydney 

savethegame likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,716 posts
    Ballarat trots tonight races 8 and 9 someone has jagged a Flexi double, tote pool over $1100 which seems high for a late night harness double for me, has paid $1851!!!
    1 million percent talking through my kick but why oh why did Dylan go so quick on Lord Rosco? Why run a sub 29.5 2nd quarter, absolutely no need.
  • sonnysonny    1,053 posts
    I thought the same Gilga...
    Fortunate Adda should cross and lead 9.00 fixed 1,2 only.
    WJM in the third should cross reckon can run cheeky race if does 23.00 fixed.
    All up place FA into WJM into Misstiano 50 bucks should see return 1000 plus at current fixed odds.
    I think Tassie - has got the next  young Gavin Lang - in Troy McDonald - his strike rate in the last 12 mths has been unbelievable - drives 3-4 winners ( and plenty of placegetters  ) and at good prices over the weekends 2 meetings in Tassie - spread between Lonnie Hobart and Devenport 

No wonder Ben Yole says Troy is a very very big part of my team 

You want to win to money - just look up his drives each weekend - watch a few replays - pick the ones you like and you will win 

And just like Gav - he loves to sit sprint them - thats his forte - Good Feelings yesterday at Lonnie was a typical Troy McDonald drive 
    One for Harness stats nerds only, all others tune out. Maiden winner at Pinjarra today Zacs A Nobody for Ray Woodley.....some really old imported blood here, By Catch A Flight  (by On The Road Again by Happy Motoring maintaining a naming theme!). Can't remember a winner by this sire in living memory. Looked him up....4 of his 5 highest stake earners all raced in WA....Sunset Celebration (JTW), Another Traveller ( Brownie), Waterloo Bay (JTW) and Dianna Lyn who Morgan Woodley drove. Yes, it's been a slow afternoon in rainy Manjimup.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Sunset Celebration was a GMTC Raffle horse purchased from Michelle Mannings stable in Victoria. Won by Kevin Egerton Green. Made FFall in WA and sold on to the US where he won a few as well

JayJay, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• PictureSon1973PictureSon1973    138 posts
    Jay Jay was Catch a Flight based in NSW in the 2000’s with the Osbournes possibly ?
    I don’t think his bloodlines weren’t to fashionable and being based in NSW at the time wouldn’t
    help is cause if I’m correct of the state that he stood in.
    I don't know but will ask Phil Costello next time I see him. He had a Catch A Flight horse that he bred, about the only one I could recall off the top of my head. Was called Auto Pilot and it went pretty good, won a batch of races as I recall.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

30 years ago this week the last ever meeting was run at Richmond Raceway. A 10 race card with the last race being a FFA won by Speedy Cheval for Ross Olivieri/Phil Coulson defeating the The Storm Boy, Terrer's Chips and Morgan James.
    Other winners on the night were Warfair for Barry and Colin Warwick, the two year old race was won by Icangoe for trainer/driver Colin Joss mainly because his owner George Grljusich was NOT on course as he was calling an Eagles game at Subiaco and listened on his transistor radio at the back of the broadcast box. Paradoxically, George did not back his horse that night, another factor in it's favour. Albaran won race 3 for Fred Kersley/Greg Kersley, Headliner (by San Simeon) won race 4 for Kevin Bailey and owners Hec Strempel and Dennis McInerney, Race 5 went to San Suphan (also by San Simeon) for Tommy Sheehy, Knightworker won race 6 for Barry Morrison and Justin Warwick and Trunkey Courageous made it a double for Tommy Sheehy in race 7. The feature Champagne Stakes ($25k) went to Whitby Tolez for Rod Chambers and Ed Dewar and the penultimate event went to Flying Fella for Ralf Johnson and driver Avon MacOmish. Fastest mile rate on the night was 2.01.1 recorded by Speedy Cheval.

Now all we have to remember the iconic track is a bloody awful housing estate, a set of gates and some nice artwork, although Russell Wolf on ABC breakfast did have a lovely interview early this morning with the amazing Bill Horn, as jovial and chatty as ever.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    edited April 2021
    JJ its bad enough having to travel to the dilapidated Shark Park (East Fremantle Oval) to watch Swans play them there but to see across the road what has become of the much cherished Richmond Raceway just makes me sicker in the stomach!  :-&

And god knows where all the big money went from the sale of R.R???!!! :-??

JayJay likes this post.

That is a pretty legitimate question VK.
    Where did the money go ??
    Was it injected into the industry or was it held in some sort of fund with FTC.
    Would be interested to know.
    Every time I go to my local TAB I see the FTC office over the road and wonder to myself what they do in there, if there is anyone in there at all.

Gilgamesh, JayJay likes this post.

That is a pretty legitimate question VK.
    Where did the money go ??
    Was it injected into the industry or was it held in some sort of fund with FTC.
    Would be interested to know.
    Every time I go to my local TAB I see the FTC office over the road and wonder to myself what they do in there, if there is anyone in there at all.

Sign still looks in pretty good nic!
    edited April 2021
    Held in Trust Fund last i heard  20th august 2010 richard burt told the joint standing-----QUOTE---When richmond raceway was sold many years ago , Fremantle bascially  recieved a large amount of money that it has retained in a trust. The Richmond Raceway.

QUESTIONED BY Hon. Matt Benson Lidholm---are you at liberty to tell us what that money amounts to?

Mr.Burt My apologies ; I cann't quote the exact amount,mainly because i don't know the intricate details and not so much because of the confidentiality. 

Max Trenorden  we were given those figures. 

SO take it AS THE FOLLOWING

John Mcgrath, John  Bowler  Max Trenorden Matt Benson   Alyssa Hayden any of them would know the amount; at the time------ since then?

curmudgeon likes this post.

At the time of the closure of Richmond Raceway, the Fremantle Trotting Club did not own the track, it was leased off the WATA. Sale proceeds of the track were put in a trust and I believe the initial amount was $3.1 million which grew to over $4 million due to property purchases and sales. The profits from the trust were annually split between the WATA and the FTC on a pro rata basis, based on the number of meetings held (I think Fremantle was allocated 12 Friday night meetings (1 per month) at the time. I have an old GPHRC report (2011)  that shows income from the trust at $164k for the year. I don't know what interest rates were at the time but randomly using 5% as a base line figure might suggest the fund was then still around the $3 million mark. My understanding at the time was that the Trust fund would operate until the FTC lease ran out in 2036 but I don't know how that all worked out after the two clubs amalgamated.