G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 15 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    I have never seen anything like that ever.
    You could see his foot bouncing off it’s hocks.
    Another clown that just had to sit there and do his job.
    Stamp it out 6 weeks and disqualify the horse.
  • KTQKTQ    319 posts

Maybe we should put them in the Hall of Fame like we do in WA.

Heh. NZ too
  • KTQKTQ    319 posts
    Looking at the feature race calendar today and seems all the GP dates are Saturdays. Either GP is moving days or someone needs to work on their eye for detail. Its a list of dates for chrissakes, you'd think the dates would be correct
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Halls Of Fame are a can of worms and should be "opened" with caution. That said, I think the horses themselves are above dissent other than it gets down to opinion as to who should be put in or not. But the horses haven't committed offenses or sort to gain advantage via their decision making.
    As for the human element, I think the over riding philosophy is, like a school reference, to focus on the positive and redact any blemishes. We have all heard of the school reference that reads "Billy attended this school for 3 years" full stop. They never list Billy's misdemeanors. If you have something good to say, say it, otherwise say nothing.

In almost every Hall Of Fame inductees list I have seen, there are participants, both administrative and actual on the ground competitors, that have some sort of negative cloud or events against their names. All of them have great achievements but very few are total cleanskins. Administrators have made flawed decisions and in some cases have sought advantage for personal gain, sometimes seeking to rewrite history about their predecessors. Trainers and drivers have been disqualified for breaches, both deliberate and accidental. Where do you draw the line?. As I say, a can of worms. On balance, I think the WA Hall Of Fame contains members well worthy of their place. I think there are some glaring omissions, some will make it in their lifetimes, others wont......but that is just an opinion. I fervently hope that L.J.Robinson.....trainer, ace driver, breeder, master farrier, steward, driving master and a dispenser of wise advice to this day, gets a guernsey sooner rather than later. But I think you would need to be very mean spirited to argue against any of the inductees being on the list.

In NZ, there is (I think) automatic Hall Of Fame accreditation once a certain number of training or driving successes are achieved (might be 500 or 1000, not absolutely sure...I was reading something about John Hay being dual qualified as both a trainer and a driver). I think our system has more scope to recognise those that should be recognised but I am not so sure about the lag time. You shouldn't have to be carted off to Boot Hill to seal your posthumous induction.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing Jay Jay and it should be used with inductees.
    What you are saying is it would be ok to put Lance Armstrong into the biking hall of fame, although he’s probably already in it for all the wrong reasons.
    Armstrong clearly an extraordinary and very extreme case of deliberate, sustained career based cheating of the very worst incarnation imaginable and of course I am not saying that, don't put words in my mouth. As I said a can of worms.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    One of the worst for mine - re hall of fame in the racing codes was Graeme Bate

But to the Greyhound Boards credit they removed him from their hall of fame 

freodockers likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Thought  you could have Champion Trainer--  Champion Driver-- Champion Cheat. For entry into Hall of Fame 40 Years with no disqualifications as Trainer -- Gold Card . 

Champion Driver no more then 40 suspensions as driver to be eligible for Hall of Fame  in 40 years of race driving  for Gold Card entry.----

Champion Cheat category two or more disqualifications of six months or more.makes you eligible.for Hall of Shame.--Gold card four or more.convictions.

Champion Trainer x 1 FRK
    Champion Driver x 1 ACL
    Champion Cheat where do I start.
    Freo sure you have got the Quinella  right ----but the  result ---- that popular only money back.
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

Champion Cheat where do I start.

At the Top  :D
  • KTQKTQ    319 posts
    Can we have a polite discussion about why meetings are constantly cancelled due to rain these days? Is there actually higher incidence than 10years ago or does it just feel like it?
    If there is, why? Is it a lack of knowledge in regards to track curration, are we sookier, are we cancelling too quickly, is there a hidden agenda?
    Once again we clean the gear, pack the float, prepare the horses, shower, load the horses, get halfway there and its cancelled. Horses miss their trackwork, we lose the income. Is it good enough?

VillageKid likes this post.

Quiz question 

Race 9 at Melton tonight was the Derby Royale Trotters Free For All - Group 3

What is that horse famously remembered for 
    Ending champion trotters Maoris Idol winning streak

Markovina likes this post.

Interesting....I always thought Maori's Idol's winning streak came to an end up in Queensland, racing against the pacers when Rip Van Winkle beat him in the 1978 Sir Clive Uhr Championship ($40k race)....some serious pacers in that race, Maori's ran 2nd but Koala King, Sporting Son Sammy Karamea, Roma Hanover, Connmurra Chief etc......all finished behind him.

Alas, it was Derby Royale that knocked him off in the Inters Trotting Final at the Valley ......he only ran 3rd....... a week before some "crab" called Markovina "fluked" an Inters Pacing Final win 
    :)) :)) :))...
    He was some horse Maoris.......and just quietly, Markovina was pretty handy although I wouldn't go public with that on any forum.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    R2 today I thought No5 Burleigh Shard could finish over the top of them at the double figure odds.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    KTQ said:

Can we have a polite discussion about why meetings are constantly cancelled due to rain these days? Is there actually higher incidence than 10years ago or does it just feel like it?
    If there is, why? Is it a lack of knowledge in regards to track curration, are we sookier, are we cancelling too quickly, is there a hidden agenda?
    Once again we clean the gear, pack the float, prepare the horses, shower, load the horses, get halfway there and its cancelled. Horses miss their trackwork, we lose the income. Is it good enough?

Without having seen the rainfall figures but I daresay we would probably have less rainfall than we did 40 years ago but to my eye the amount of meetings we have lost due to the rain in the last couple of years would be triple what they were back then in the 1980s?
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    GP Meetings were regularly called off in the late 70s and 80s VK and I am certain that there has been a huge reduction in lost meetings since the track was restructured some years back. Having said that this season has had its problems. 
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Race 3 Pinjarra today. Linebacker last raced on 26th March when it broke when leading and was tailed off. Stood down one trial and went to Pinjarra trials on 14th April where it broke in running and was tailed off again. Obviously this trial was passed as satisfactory as it raced today and broke at the same point when leading.

Stewards at fault for passing the trial but surely some onus on the trainer allowing it to start under these circumstances. Fortunately a single file race and little harm but could have been much worse.
  • 2lifetimewinners2lifetimewinners    508 posts

Race 3 Pinjarra today. Linebacker last raced on 26th March when it broke when leading and was tailed off. Stood down one trial and went to Pinjarra trials on 14th April where it broke in running and was tailed off again. Obviously this trial was passed as satisfactory as it raced today and broke at the same point when leading.

Stewards at fault for passing the trial but surely some onus on the trainer allowing it to start under these circumstances. Fortunately a single file race and little harm but could have been much worse.
    I reckon our current stewards panel is the worst its been in my lifetime. They clearly have NO FARKEN IDEA
  • AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts

I reckon our current stewards panel is the worst its been in my lifetime. They clearly have NO FARKEN IDEA
    Line Backer galloped the exactly the same spot as it did in the trial..........
    Notice the passing of  A.D. tony TURNBULL he was the first driver to land 2,000 winners in australia first to win inters in consective years--first to win inters& miracle mile in same year.  never forget the ''bathurst bulldog'' hondo gratten winning inters in perth after most of the field was tko'd early.

Yes, a great record .....but the first part of that Inters Final with horses going in al directions, and the last 200m with whips flailing, legs out the cart is extremely ugly viewing.

Notice the passing of  A.D. tony TURNBULL he was the first driver to land 2,000 winners in australia first to win inters in consective years--first to win inters& miracle mile in same year.  never forget the ''bathurst bulldog'' hondo gratten winning inters in perth after most of the field was tko'd early.

Old  A D is gone hey 

Not just saying this in recognition of him - but  as great a horse as Paleface Adios was - and it was an incredible horse - and who will ever forget its farewell race - the Cranbourne Cup - which it was victorious - and the crowd on a Monday - it was huge for its swansong - truly unforgettable scenes 

However as great as Paleface was - Hondo had its measure - and who will ever forget that Miracle Mile where the Bathurst Bulldog  sat outside Paleface  and nailed it right on the line 

The other thing i noticed over the years - reading bits and pieces - Darren Hancock was one - that Tony was a hard person a real hard man 

But rest in peace   A D 

savethegame likes this post.

• KTQKTQ    319 posts

If they put him as satisfactory, then we are hardly going to drive 4hrs and pay money to trial him unnecessarily.
    He jumped the circling lines on the track courtesy of the 2 false starts. He doesn't jump lines on our track and fastworks twice a week.
  • rooster321rooster321    186 posts
    KTQ said:

If they put him as satisfactory, then we are hardly going to drive 4hrs and pay money to trial him unnecessarily.
    He jumped the circling lines on the track courtesy of the 2 false starts. He doesn't jump lines on our track and fastworks twice a week.

So he galloped in the trial on wed when following horses ? What was the excuse there ?
    Has galloped in 5 of 7 races or trials so having to do a satisfactory is hardly unnecessary as you say
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    What is the wage for a steward?
  • 2lifetimewinners2lifetimewinners    508 posts
    KTQ said:

Whilst I understand this is a MAJOR F*CK UP but the stewards (who honestly dont give a stuff at the moment) surely there is a duty of care to ensure the horse gets around safely before starting it. Whilst I appreciate it does not break at your track when it fastworks twice a week, im pretty sure there are no meetings held there at present.