In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 16 Non Members

2021 Melbourne Cup Thread

East Coast Racing

Comments

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    thefalcon said:

i'll tell you blokes something for nothing...something way down in the weights will take the cup home.

Throw some names at the stumps Falc
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    i'll tell you blokes something for nothing...something way down in the weights will take the cup home.......
    give me a bit of time, jum. all i said is that i reckon the higher rated horses have the job ahead of them and will be hard pressed to win..
  • ColdyColdy    1,720 posts
    Not sure If Baron Samedi is on its way here? I know it was nominated . Sportbets have no odds for it. I would more than happy to have a crack at it if i could.
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Not in the weights so must have pulled out mate, very few are actually coming 1/2 dozen at most i think they are suggesting.

Coldy likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    thefalcon said:

i'll tell you blokes something for nothing...something way down in the weights will take the cup home.......

give me a bit of time, jum. all i said is that i reckon the higher rated horses have the job ahead of them and will be hard pressed to win..

Realm Of Flowers has 51kg. Won the Listed Andrew Ramsden Stakes (2800m) at Flemington in May. That race is a Melbourne Cup ballot exception race so Realm Of Flowers is guaranteed a start in the Melbourne Cup.

One thing that is against her is that she's a mare and not many mares have won the race in recent times - last one was Makybe Diva in 2005, 2004 and 2003, before that was Ethereal in 2001 and even further back was Jezabeel in 1998.
  • Precision1Precision1    544 posts
    edited September 2021
    thefalcon said:

The winners down in the weights the last 10 years have been the European 3yo’s which we will have none of this year.  So you’re relying on tried unsuccessful stayers to improve lengths?  The minimum still looking like 53kg so the weight difference really isn’t that much when you’re talking proven WFA performers to struggling handicap stayers 

jum, oldhendo likes this post.

One of the toppies is definitely not coming - Sonnyboyliston, Murtagh said their sending him for a break and from what i heard Eustace say Sir Dragonet they think doesn't quite stay the trip so he would be doubtful too.Assume Twilight Payment is coming back but there are limited to virtually zero raiders coming for various reasons so your right the recent "prototype" doesn't exist this year as such.
    The one i've mentioned Surefire($51)though is of that mould/age bracket, major difference is having been acquired by Waller not sure how he will go following a different style of training method or if their even still going ahead with a prep, i haven't heard anything more since the late August interview.
    Surefire won't know whats hit it when he lobs in wallers production line...use to the rolling fields of the UK then the huge barn like structures in amongst scores of other horses then trundled out for a quick sprint around randwick with hundreds of other horses. poor bugger.
  • ChrisChris    5,218 posts
    It'll be an all time hurt level this year
  • babehoundbabehound    21 posts
    Sheeeraz is the one
    *Sheraz ex french galloper. Seen the guys or particularly Nick Ashman tipping that galloper on Sectional Stars the other day.Needs to win the Bart Cummings or similar qualifier to get in doesn't it?

Wonder what's happening with Surefire another Waller import, haven't heard jack maybe isn't going to be ready this year...
  • ColdyColdy    1,720 posts
    Since Baron Samedi did not make it over here ,will have a sneaky invest this week on Future Score before it wins a race to qualify to get in the field. 
    boys, about a month early for serious discussion.
    thefalcon said:

boys, about a month early for serious discussion.

well a bit less than that falc..race is ONLY 33 days away..i don't have an opinion really as yet a race like the CC might form one for me, that was when i decide Vow And Declare was the one.
    yes the CC is a very good guide. anybody remember when the mackinnon was the pipe opener? now they've moved it from the saturday....3 days before the cup.
    Yep is run the last Saturday of the carnival now, Arcadia Queen bolted it in last year with Luke Currie gifted a G1 as Pikey had to get back home..to win the Railway.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    thefalcon said:

yes the CC is a very good guide. anybody remember when the mackinnon was the pipe opener? now they've moved it from the saturday....3 days before the cup.

Mackinnon Stakes used to be a good guide for the Cup.

Caulfield Cup - historically has been a good guide as well for the Melbourne Cup but the internationals have changed things

thefalcon likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Where's Spanish Mission at the moment?
    I think it's due here in the coming week PC might know i reckon.
    See that Sheraz was a spectacular flop today while Maher/Eustace lock in another progressive or workmanlike stayer for the cup in Grand Promenade.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    H-BOMBER said:

Spanish Mission will be here but not for the Caulfield Cup...he will miss that race but will run in Melbourne Cup.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    edited October 2021

See that Sheraz was a spectacular flop today while Maher/Eustace lock in another progressive or workmanlike stayer for the cup in Grand Promenade.

I also liked the run of Realm Of Flowers..was a mile back and made up a lot of ground to finish 6th...only 2.75 lengths away from the winner Grand Promendade. She doesn't need to win anything as she is already in the Melbourne Cup. Grand Promenade may get a weight penalty for the Melbourne Cup for winning the Bart Cummings but we will know more on Monday
  • Vincent_vegaVincent_vega    463 posts
    Im going to back Explosive Jack
    Now or are you waiting mate? his was a good run in the Turnbull.

I'm wary of the flashing light run again but i like Young Werther O'brien can get them ripe for a Cups campaign into $17 now though after the cracking second which makes backing him now not really worth it.

if incentivise wins the CC he will likely get at least a kilo penalty maybe more, assume they will be progressing to the Melbourne cup? i heard someone say Grand final is the CC which doesn't make sense to me.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Today, Racing Victoria's Chief Handicapper Greg Carpenter announced a weight penalty of 1kg for Grand Prominade for winning the Bart Cummings (G3 - 2500m) and a weight penalty of 1kg for Montefilia winning the Metropolitan (G1 - 2400m). This means both horses will now have 52kg for the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups. Montefilia will be looking to become the first horse since Tawqueet (2006) to win the Metropolitan/Caulfield Cup double in the same year and the first horse since Macdougall (1959) to do the Metropolitan/Melbourne Cup double in the same year. As Grand Prominade won the Bart Cummings, he now is guaranteed a start in the Melbourne Cup and he will be looking to join Almandin (2016) and Brew (2000) as horses to do the Bart Cummings/Melbourne Cup double in the same year.
    PC said:

I also liked the run of Realm Of Flowers..was a mile back and made up a lot of ground to finish 6th...only 2.75 lengths away from the winner Grand Promendade. She doesn't need to win anything as she is already in the Melbourne Cup. Grand Promenade may get a weight penalty for the Melbourne Cup for winning the Bart Cummings but we will know more on Monday
    Yeah had a flashing light on it didnt it. I thought at the 300m it was going to get them.
    PC said:

H-BOMBER said:

Spanish Mission will be here but not for the Caulfield Cup...he will miss that race but will run in Melbourne Cup.
    Thanks mate. I have a futures ticket with him as the last leg in the Melbourne Cup. 

My first leg saluted on the weekend in Motefilia for the Metropolitan

Next legs are 
    Animoe Caulfield Guineas
    Incentivise caulfield Cup
    Zaaki Cox Plate
    Spanish Mission Mebourne Cup

on at $1000-1 
    =P~
    edited October 2021
    You guys should not forget Realm Of Flowers run in the Sydney Cup though?...had every possible with 50kgs...i reckon the winner of that race Selino($21)carrying 58 was a pretty good run Saturday? 
    Is building similarly to the Sydney Cup campaign where he won 5th up does go up in the weights a bit but might be Waller's rough chance for MC glory rather than spruik imports that did jackall like Sheraz and Surefire who has not been mentioned.
  • Vincent_vegaVincent_vega    463 posts

Now or are you waiting mate? his was a good run in the Turnbull.

I'm wary of the flashing light run again but i like Young Werther O'brien can get them ripe for a Cups campaign into $17 now though after the cracking second which makes backing him now not really worth it.

if incentivise wins the CC he will likely get at least a kilo penalty maybe more, assume they will be progressing to the Melbourne cup? i heard someone say Grand final is the CC which doesn't make sense to me.

Shopping around you can get around 20s in the CC and 20s in the MC. Will back both to win $1,000 in each. If it runs a good race in the CC then will shorten up. If it runs terrible it will be bigger than 20s come MC day and i will make a decision from there if i go again.

Thunderstruck likes this post.

yeh he is $21 and $26 respectively on Sportsbet atm with boosts up to 29 and 36.

I may have a go at Selino/Young Werther before their next run unsure if both will go to the CC though.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    H-BOMBER said:

PC said:

Yeah had a flashing light on it didnt it. I thought at the 300m it was going to get them.

Realm Of Flowers was never going to win, no need to, already guaranteed a start in the Cup. All of her starts so far this campaign she has been running on from behind and running on late.