Who's Online

0 Members & 35 Non Members

Cricket 2021/22

Sport

Comments

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    edited December 2021

detonator said:

me too lol will update here but High And Dry the drum r8 Flemington is a chance of going in too.Might shop around firstly Bet365 have better than average place odds generally i quoted Ttouch odds before.

So..

Tabtouch odds are 1.38 Aust, GG 1.36, FTE 1.34P, HAD 1.45P = a piddly 3.64 ffs.
    Bet365 they are 1.40, 1.40, 1.50 and 1.70 = 4.99 much better, so i have had $40 on that combo and another $10 on all 3 horses to win, went top tote plus for the last two rather than fixed.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    I think this is the worst England team that I have seen that has toured Australia for an Ashes series. Australia are all over them and putting more and more pressure on.
    Dunno why we're batting again, the follow on never seems to get enforced even though itwon't affect the result
    Thought I saw someone mention Neser may have a fitness issue? Maybe that was why.
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    Follow ons are a rare event these days.
    Reckon it is all about the health and conditioning people looking after their stock.
    Gone are the days of beers and a ciggy at the end of a days play.
    It is all about recovery, stretching, warm downs, warm ups etc etc.
    Preserving their players for the next test .
    Plus mentally deflating the opposition to having to bowl again and putting up a score that is unreachable.
    Yeh common-sense approach i suppose and like you said mainly the way it goes these days..just once in a while a ruthless move would be good plus I have to wait longer for my collect now Det lol

freodockers likes this post.

• ciscocisco    805 posts
    edited December 2021
    Both valid points Boys. Nothing worse than having to field and bowl for 2 days then your team failing with the bat and then having to field again. I think we broke their spirit by being patient and batting smart in the first innings.

VillageKid likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Think the last time we enforced the follow on was Steve Waugh (around 2000) against India and VVS Laxman and someone else batted all day and scored 300 plus in a day and we didn't take a wicket. We went from unbeatable to losing the test. Been a bit gun shy since then. No one enforces follow ons these days and we are down to our 5th or 6th choice fast bowler after just 2 tests.

Thunderstruck, VillageKid, oldhendo likes this post.

Yeh i know JJ I sort of ask this question once every 5 years lol I blame Warney he gets me on board with concepts like this.
    What do we think of Jhye Richardson so far this test gents..smallish sample size but was pretty well handled by most..Haven't seen much swing either..he produced a little in his 1st spell nothing much else that I noticed.
    Will say hats off to Starc who we know may leak a few runs at times and the radar gets a little askew, produces a 4 for and a very handy 40 odd with the bat i'll take that all day every day.

JayJay, VillageKid likes this post.

Warney, genius with the ball but I can't listen to him or the braying hyena, Brayshaw. Richardson pretty ho hum, not awful but read the West to get his cheersquads latest assessment, they pushed really hard for him. But if Barry Shepherd were still alive, the West would be touting for his inclusion. 
    As you say, small sample size but Cameron Green has bowled pretty well I think. Ponting, who I think is our best analyst/commentator had some things to say about Green's batting stance, be wise to listen to him I think, doesn't seem to have a hidden self promotion agenda Ponting, good to listen to.
    I can't believe the mob who go on and on about Starc being expensive in that bubble and squeak nonsense......he is clearly our most lethal bowler, he breaks through with unplayable jaffas and has done forever. In Test cricket, first pick and he bats with better than tailender ability and can be dangerous at the end when the bowlers are tired. I'm 100% with you there, take him every day of the week.

Thunderstruck, VillageKid likes this post.

Bloody oath JJ spot on with all you said.Green is promising just needs some technique work so he isn't getting bowled for fun..

Love Punter, I remember way back when a bloke declared to me when he was in his cricket infancy that Ponting would be a superstar..I thought yeh righto mate whatever lol he couldn't have been more correct...
    Far worse things to do than listen to the right guys for Green, bowls well and is pacey..

Agree Warney is a pain and an opinionated prick no doubt about it lol but for me sort of has the right given his stature in the game/knowledge, do understand why he polarises people though...

JayJay likes this post.

edited December 2021
    I think it was Rod Marsh who when he was in charge of the cricket academy said Ricky Ponting was the best prospect whoever went through the academy.
    I did do a tour of the Adelaide Cricket ground once.
    The elderly gent who was doing the tour (and dare I say) voluntarily was not a fan of Rod Marsh. He said he was overpaid for what he did. Which was sit up in the empty commentary boxes with his laptop and took money under false pretences…..ouch !!
    :-B

Agree Warney is a pain and an opinionated prick no doubt about it lol but for me sort of has the right given his stature in the game/knowledge, do understand why he polarises people though...

Yes, no question about Warne, he has buckets of credits, his bowling was a high water mark and I never get sick of watching some of those You Tube clips of his 7 and 8 wicket hauls.....and over after over of relentless accuracy, he was a genius and it is almost un-Australian to throw pies at him......I get that. But his commentary is like having the past president on your committee.

Thunderstruck likes this post.

edited December 2021
    Good start should be 3/3 today just lucky Butler cannot catch.
    Do we keep Harris because we're winning? Not sure but he looks out of his depth
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    If you want to listen to the biggest Tosser, wan$er, has been, put the ABC broadcast on and listen to Ian Chappell. What an absolute arrogant flog.
    I actually feel sorry for the co commentators who have to listen to his garbage and engage in conversation with him.
    ABC get rid of him he is an embarrassment to Australia.

oldhendo, jum likes this post.

Gee Thunder, we have run Richardson into a bit of form  :))

On Chappell, well he also has a few street credits from the past but agree, a hard listen thats for sure.

Thunderstruck likes this post.

edited December 2021
    We did mate and good to see, I'm all for the new guys to do well bring it on don't care where there from just do well be the best you can be.

Timely last ball wicket by Starc who continues to put in, they mentioned he might miss a test due to resting him hope it isn't Melbourne, it's been a while since I've looked forward to a boxing day test!

Anyone watch the Pat Cummins piece on Fox(or Kayo)it is well worth viewing, what a ripping guy, kind of forgot what he went through after bursting onto the scene as a 17/18 year old kid.
    He is a star all round and quality young man.Hope he plays at least another 5 years or more.

Agree Chappell is a gruff and grumpy old bastard who should be retired.
    I liked all the older commentary guys back in the day on ch 9 even Tony Greig was good in tandem with Bill Lawry, but Chappell never really grabbed me.

VillageKid likes this post.

edited December 2021
    Richardson with a 5 for JJ! we should apply for a motivational gig hey mate? :D

Good effort today 2-0 up and deservedly so, poms dug in but the keeps one balls up dropping Buttler was nearly 200 balls worth of costly.. nevermind.

So Cummins back will be great, Binga was saying they may not risk Hazelwood but that is ok and maybe wise too, look forward to boxing day keep up the good work boys!

JayJay likes this post.

edited December 2021
    One absolute Jaffa from Jhye that jagged back and hit the top of off. Yep, we done good, we'll keep him lol. Thought the poms worth another prep on today's effort, they didn't give it away and Butler, who couldn't catch covid in NSW, came out, head down and grafted. Sir Geoffrey Borecott would have been proud of him.  It is an Ashes Series and he was not going to throw his wicket away. A couple of their top order look (a) all at sea and (b) pretty keen to wave the white flag.

I can see the McArdle boy at the West, the official Jhye Baby cheersquad leader, sharpening his pencil for a perky headline and searching for a private school connection.

Thunderstruck, VillageKid likes this post.

Though getting McGowan'd re any home track advantage this will not matter to this very balanced side, the gift that keeps on giving i.e the Perth Scorchers are very likely winning the title this year...if they maintain a fit squad.
    edited December 2021
    Starc playing tomorrow which is good, partly due i guess to Richardson pulling up short and them giving Hazelwood another test to ensure he is fully recovered.
    Saw "Skull" O'keefe on Fox last week predict that Scott Boland could debut tomorrow and stuff me he was right, idk bugger all about the bloke other than that he is of indigenous stock(a rare feat)and he has a good strike rate at the MCG(could be agaisnt plodders i would not know either way).

Bring it on, i have got set again on Pat Cummins to be the leading bowler, he should kill it.
    I would probably back him to run through a brick wall if the odds were ok, the guy is a ripper.

cisco likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    For all of the criticism that English opener Michael Atherton used to get for being too slow, at least you knew he put a price on his wicket. England could do with a Michael Atherton right now at the top of the batting order.

freodockers likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Atherton.....he was greased lightning compared to Geoff Boycott

oldhendo, jum likes this post.

What a story Scott Boland.
    Indigenous man to get man of the match Boxing Day test on debut at 32 years of age in winning ashes team.
    Stuff dreams are made of. 
    And to be awarded the medal from a descendant of the first ever aboriginal team to go to England. What an unbelievable moment.
    All I have left to say is….Phuck Covid !!!!!!
    =D>

Thunderstruck, freodockers, cisco likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts

Atherton.....he was greased lightning compared to Geoff Boycott

And Boycott was cheetah like compared to Chris Tavare!  I-)

oldhendo, freodockers, curmudgeon, JayJay, cisco likes this post.

edited December 2021
    detonator said:

What a story Scott Boland.

Indigenous man to get man of the match Boxing Day test on debut at 32 years of age in winning ashes team.
    Stuff dreams are made of. 
    And to be awarded the medal from a descendant of the first ever aboriginal team to go to England. What an unbelievable moment.
    All I have left to say is….Phuck Covid !!!!!!
    =D>

Great effort by Scotty!! I got goose bunps yesty arvo as he went back down to the fence(maybe bay 13 idk)after his 2 wicket over money can't buy that feeling I bet.
    Also Starc' s hattrick ball @-) fmd what a cracking delivery too good for anyone to nick!!
    Thoroughly enjoyed it plenty of action and wgaf it only went 2 days and a session lol we were relentless.
    Didn't even need Cummins he bowled a none for!
    Pretty good team the Aussies still a little shaky with the bat but the Poms are well... just shite bahaha..

detonator, cisco, jum likes this post.

Boycott never gave his wicket away, ever. He valued it with his life. Slow, well yes, but hard to dislodge? Like few others. He had more spine than the entire touring party that have pretty much embarrassed themselves in the first 3 tests. I have no illusions that this is a great Aussie side....the bowling is high quality, fielders are superb but our batting remains as shaky as the old Meckering Post Office. But the opposition has been woeful.....a test that didn't last 2 days and a session on a wicket that moved about like an English county strip and should have suited the poms more than Australia is an indictment on the management of English cricket.

oldhendo, cisco, VillageKid, jum likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    Well played Usman Khawaja - thats his 9th Test century. A tough gritty century at the SCG and yes he should be left in the Test team.

#TheAshes #AustraliaVsEngland #SCG

cisco likes this post.

Agree a great knock, very important towards winning, so who gets dropped so he stays in?

Head will be back in and I think their persisting with Harris til series end..

oldhendo likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    Well done Johnny Bairstow. Good century. 7th Test hundred

#Day3 #AustraliaVsEngland #Ashes #SCG

cisco likes this post.