G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 12 Non Members

Golf Betting

Sport

Comments

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Makes a good case for backing many players instead of one after that. I still cannot believe that Morikawa was even capable of that. All he had to do was shoot 1 under
    Update for last 2 tournaments

OVERALL "season" OUT - (-174.15 units)
    OVERALL "season" RETURN - (+ 232.685 Units)

Nett = + 58.535

Still cannot comprehend how Morikawa lost the Hero WC. After nbeing so cool and collected all week he was rattled, fragile and just defeated. He was actually still in it after 9 holes but just dropped his head.

detonator likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Sounds like he did a Western Empire mate except completely steered himself into the shit no other hands cooked him..

Very unlucky H.

I have been keeping an eye on your bets but I discovered after just a couple of tournaments why I don't bet on golf 1.I have not enough knowledge and 2.definitely not enough patience, the occasional h2h punt for me is ok.
    The way he tanked you would have thought I was on the Morikawa train too...

Good luck next week.
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    I saw one of his drives on the front 9. Snap hook into the “never never”.
    He did say that his driving was one part of his game that needed tweaking after he finished the 3rd round. Tweaking ??? Try severe major overhaul.
    Golf can do that to you. Haha
    At least Western Empire tried his heart out unlike Collin. Hmmmm

@-)

Thunderstruck likes this post.

The QBE or "Shark" Shootout starts tonight, a 54 hole teams event hosted by Greg Norman at the Gold Course Tiburon. It is a teams event which has a different format for the 3 days as follows, from pgatour.com

"For Friday’s opening round, scoring will be determined in a traditional scramble. So, both members of every team will have up to two swings from the same spot until either holes out.

Saturday’s second round will consist of modified alternate shot. Every golfer will tee off on every hole, but teammates will alternate finishing the hole on the same ball. This is the day when scores should be highest.

The structure of the finale on Sunday is four-ball; that is, all golfers play their own ball throughout every hole and only the lower score among teammates is recorded as the team’s score for the hole"

Favorites for the shootout are the team of Billy Horshal and Sam Burns at $5. Second favorites at $7 are the team of Harris English and Matt Kuchar who are 3 times winners of the tournament, last year with a 54 hole record of 37 under par!! Rank outsiders at $41 is the team of Bubba Watson and LPGA pro Lexi Thompson.

My picks for the tournament are the following teams

Horshal/Burns $5
    English/Kuchar $7
    Connors/McDowell $11

The arbitrage for these teams is a measly $2.31. spending 16 units as follows

7.377 units at $5
    5.269 units at $7
    3.353 units at $11

16 out for 36.8ish back.

Good viewing!

It's time to fire up the Golf thread for 2022 after a nice freshen up.

The Sentry Tournament of champions is a no cut event for the players that won the tournament's last season. Star studded field with a notable absentee in McIlroy.

The tournament is played in Hawaii at the Plantation Course at Kapalua. It's very viewer friendly with coverage from 4 am on Golf TV and 7am on Kayo.

From the PGA Tour website

"This is the third edition of the tournament since the Plantation Course was renovated by its designers, Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw. After a daunting debut in 2019 during which the field’s average of 72.228 set a 12-year high, breezes were tolerable en route to a scoring average of 69.315 last year. It was the second-lowest average (2003) in its first 23 years as host.

As these things are concerned, earnest critiques and comparable reviews of a renovation should wait until three spins are in the books, but because of the relatively consistent climate at sea level in Hawaii, it’s probably already fair to assess that the TifEagle bermuda greens have matured quicker than, say, the expectation in a four-season climate. This is to say that every target is a green light in the context of distance control. The spring has sprung.

Flatter greens intended in the renovation not only generated the potential for new hole locations, but the grass could be trimmed low enough to yield a Stimpmeter reading of 11 feet, weather pending. (Prior to the work, the max speed was 10 feet due to undulations and the threat of wind on a resort course.) With virtually no sustainable wind forecast all week – although this can change faster than you just read this warning – a fully formed Plantation Course can be presented.

With just three par 3s, Kapalua is the only par 73 of the season, but a winning aggregate from 25- to 30-under is in play thanks to generous fairways and some of the largest greens any golfer will see all year. In scorable conditions last year, the field averaged 11.85 (of 15) fairways and 14.19 greens in regulation per round. Both splits were the highest of 51 courses measured during the super season."

To be honest, it's a mine field to determine a winner. So I'll cut to the chase with the bets as I haven't had an outright winner bet

First Round leader (arbitrage)
    Rahm $15
    Morikawa $17
    Kokrak $26
    Leishman $29

5 units at $5.04

5 units at $4.50 for a playoff to determine winner

5 units multi at $10.14 on legs as follows

Top 20 finish
    Cantlay
    Kokrak
    Thomas
    Shuffle
    DeChambeau
    Morikawa

Top 10 finish
    Rahm
    Hovland

Total spend 15 units.

detonator likes this post.

Update after the Shootout and including the Sentry TOC

+27.35 units with 15 units "live"
    Rahm falls just short of FRL after hanging on the lip or lipping out at least 4 times during the Round. Cam Smith and Patty Cantlay both lead at -8
    Great result for Cam Smith winning by a shot from Rahm with a lazy 34 under, Matt Jones 3rd at -32 and overall 4 Aussies in the top 10! Even better all 3 finished well clear of the yanks.
    Though I maybe prefer a course a little more challenging as I note more than a few 61s were carded including MJ in the final round.

For Smith it might be his breakout year to nab a major, i hope so anyway.

jum likes this post.

What a great spectacle the ToC was with Cam Smith keeping Rahm at bay for the best part of 2 days. I was torn for going for Smith but hoping for a playoff for a collect but alas, a donut to start 2022.

Update +27.5 units

The odds are already out for "The Sony" this week starting Thursday staying in Hawaii. Cam Smith installed as the $10 favorites from Bryson at $13. Last year's winner Kevin Na opens at $21 while Aussie Matt Jones who has played a.blonder this week and is notable for early year form is at $46

:-?
    Watched the final 9 holes this morning. Easiest golf course I have seen I reckon.
    Had a final round match up bet going. Took $1.90 on Jones to beat Davies. Glad to see Jones Eagle that par 4 coming home. Sweet !!
    Rahm Smith contest was good to watch. Not a fan of the Smith mullet though.
    Golfs back !!!
    \:D/

H-BOMBER likes this post.

De Chambeau OUT of the Sony with "wrist soreness"

Maybe trying to swing out of your shoes at 200mph isnt the best thing? Also being a w#nker doesnt help 
    ;))

Thunderstruck, jum likes this post.

edited January 2022
    A Smith win and a bit of an Aussie Blitz has piqued my interest, looking forward to see what are your bets are @H
    Now I don't know a lot about the form but one thing I reckon is true golfers rarely if ever go bang and bang again in back to back tournaments? Therefore as maybe even an anti Jonah Smithy WONT win this week.

No real firm opinion on a winner myself(what is Morikawa up to?? I would have backed him to bounce this week)though I am a fan of Sungjae Im, so maybe he can figure high up the leaderboard.
    I'm thinking of a couple of h2h bets initially for Rd 1, Smithy v the Gooch and Im to beat Leishman or maybe Kuchar to win his match.
    Other than that Smithy top 5 or a more conservative top 10 finish is paying alright at 2.25 on Tabtouch! 1.80-1.90 elsewhere.I like a "shorty" that looks a good bet to me.
    Will have some thoughts soon on the Sony Open in Hawaii but you may have pre empted a few players for me

The Australian men's and Women's PGA starts today (has already started) over at Royal Brisbane. Tournament favorites and number 49 in the world Min Woo Lee is at 4.50 to win the tournament. There are a stack of older players competing which is nostalgic with the likes.of Peter Leonard, Peter O'Malley etc etc.

My tips for the men's have to be Min Woo at 4.50 and the famously named Jack Thompson at $15. Back these two spending 5 units for a return of 17.3 units

Coverage on Kayo starts at 930am =P~

Loved big Pete Lonard back in the day, in fact used to love watching the summer Aussie golf! Brett Rumford I recall liked him too, O'malley yep, remember Pete Senior? Probably a few other names forgotten also Allenby(though he seemed like a bit of a DH)Nick O'hern was a good lefty golfer that fella.
    Attention turns to Oahu and Wai'alae golf course for the Sony Open

Like most things in Hawaii, extremely picturesque course that ha the 9s reversed for the tournament (as opposed to the members) because of the sun setting aesthetics and television viewing. From the website

"Waialae Country Club's golf course nestles between the majestic Koolau mountain range on the north and blue Pacific Ocean on the south as a verdant playing field for its members and annually for the world's greatest professional golfers.

Established in the late 1920s, Waialae was first groomed as an amenity for the guests of Waikiki's Royal Hawaiian Hotel.

On land acquired from the Isenberg family, the Waialae Golf Course, as designed by San Francisco architect Seth Raynor, was opened in 1927.

The 40-year-old Isenberg home became the first clubhouse for the golf course.

Competitive tournament play began immediately also when the first Hawaiian Open was held there in 1928.

Waialae subsequently over seven decades has hosted major golfing events and since 1965 has been the prime and only venue for the annual official Hawaiian PGA TOUR tournament.

The new 18-hole, over 7,000 yards long Waialae Golf Course displayed a new look in 1999 as PGA TOUR-designated enhancements were put in place for the PGA TOUR official event, the Sony Open in Hawaii."

Its hard not to introduce any recency bias to what we saw last week at Kapalua. Absolutely unbeleivable scoring and it wont be any suprise to see that my picks this week outright are all players that have played last week. 

Outright betting, Im tipping 4. 

Going against you @Thunderstruck and going to tip Smith to have another great week. Normally I would agree that the backup isnt ideal BUT how can you not have hime by the way he is playing and also the comfort of the playing conditions and course setup. He lead strokes gained this year easily (2.4) and his approach wedges and putting are the best in the world at the moment. Won this tournament 2 years ago. He is favorite at $10
    Next cab off the rank, Sunjae Im at $15. He is in great form with an early season win and didnt do much wrong last week. Also has an impression early season SG of 1.722. I have a feeling if he gets hot he can string a few great scores together and challenge like he did a few months back when he won.
    Cannot ignore the way Kevin Na is rolling (walking) them in and his recent record here in Hawaii. Was last years winner and is a bet at $23
    Finally, Im lobbing into my old mate Harris English. I was umming and ahhing about him and settled on adding him to the list as I think he is in for a good year. The 2021 Tournament of Champions winner likes Hawaiin golf and will be better for the run last week. He is at $34

Arbitrage at $3.18
    Spend 15.75 units for 65.75 units (50 unit profit) 

Smith 6.575 units at $10 
    Im 4.383 units at $15 
    Kevin Na 2.859 units at $23 
    Harris English 1.934 units at $34

First round leaders
    Spend 2.5 units for 25.5 return (23 unit profit)

Smith 1.12 units at $23
    Henley 0.62 units at $41 
    Matt Jones  0.5 units at $51 
    Hayden Buckley 0.25 units at $101

Dual forecasts (first 2 any order) - 0.0165 units on each (spend 0.99 units for minimum 13.4 units back)

Smith/Im at $81
    Smith/Na at $126
    Smith/English at $176
    Im/Na at $176
    Im/English at $251
    Na/English at $401

Good luck!

Across Australia and Hawaii

Spend 24.23 units

Balance overall +3.27 Units (24.23 live)
    Henley has a putt on the last to TIE for first round leader with of course, Kevin Na... :-SS
    and.......MISSES  >:P
    edited January 2022
    Smithy was plain, in contention still but stuffed around all day hopefully can climb up the board over the next two days.
    Edit Im was worse even par I think, left his matchup out but the multi still goes tits up as Cam snatched a draw from the jaws of victory ...

You Jonah'd yourself H!
    For those of us who would use GolfTV for free featured group coverage, is not available anymore :-?? :-q
    Viewing options seem limited or fkd to be brutally honest...same can be said for the way Smith is going @ +2 today and only 1 under after 7 or 8 holes, may still bounce but at the moment he is just plodding....
    edited January 2022
    Viewing options seem limited or fkd to be brutally honest...same can be said for the way Smith is going @ +2 today and only 1 under after 7 or 8 holes, may still bounce but at the moment he is just plodding...
    WEAK AS  L-)

Henley is turning out to be your worst nightmare Bomber. #-o

And to rub salt in the wound he eagles 18 today after needing a *only* birdie yesterday
    Ouch !!
    Had a couple of bets Cam Smith..one was in a multi with Coolongatta smfh.
    Got a 3rd round match up today head to head. Kuuuuuuucha @ $1.80 vs Cink.
    Battle of the old farts.

[-O<
    Nice one @detonator

I've had another 2.5 units on Seamus Power at $12 to catch the leaders and win from here

Need something!!