G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 30 Non Members

Cricket 2021/22

Sport

Comments

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    A draw in the 4th Ashes Test at the SCG. I think that's a pretty good result after 5 days of Test cricket. I'm sure you'll all agree ????
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Another "Dunkirk" test for the poms, the headline writers on Fleet Street will just have to search back to 1940 to find the appropriate catch phrase.......you know, "British Steel To The Fore", "Great English Victory", "Aussies Put To The Sword By Root's Gallant Men".......

End of the day it's 3 -0, they didn't even come close to winning, they were comprehensively flogged by an ordinary Aussie outfit, the rain delays and too late on the declaration saved their collective arses and it was a draw in a rubber already dead due to their monumental incompetence both off and on the field.

oldhendo likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Disappointing not to win that Test and go up 4-0 but it was an exciting draw taken right down to the last ball.
    You got to love Test Cricket.....the best form of cricket by a country mile!

oldhendo, JayJay, cisco likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Tense it was.....but Captain Root trying to make a silk purse from a boars scrotum. "It is great to finally get a result after the disappointing start to the tour". A result?? Joe, it was a draw, you were 1 wicket from going down 4-0. Job preservation mode I suspect, even though he is a classy player.

VillageKid likes this post.

Yes JJ I must admit I had a chuckle to myself when I heard that comment from Joe Root.
    We were 1 wicket away from making it 4-0 from 4 Tests and if we had not have lost 79 overs during that Test in Sydney due to rain delays it would have been over at lunch but can imagine an under pressure Root is looking for any old positive after his 2 tours to Australia as Skipper has so far turned up a record of 0 wins, 7 losses and 2 draws from 9 Tests!
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Someone should tell Marnus L he’s not Steve Smith.
    That comedy of a dismissal today completely outplayed by Broad.

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Maligned Travis Head with another swashbuckling ton, fair series for him.I missed the early rout and Marnus's ballsup, Green and Head were damn good to watch.

Rain washes away at least 2 hours or more and the slow fn over rates continue...

VillageKid likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    Overall, Stuart Broad has got out David Warner 14 times at an average of 27. But when Broad bowls around the wicket to Warner, he has got him out 9 times at an average of 19.

#Ashes #BroadVsWarner
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    I'm glad I didn't watch much of the Ashes series this time. I only watched bits and pieces and kept an eye on the scores and watched the highlights. Full credit to Australia they were too good, far too good. England were poor and offered little to no resistance throughout the whole series apart from the 4th Test at the SCG. If we want to be honest, England made Australia look like a world dominant team. When the opposition is that bad questions have to be asked. I have never seen a more worse English Test team tour Australia. They just self destructed more often then not whenever pressure was applied when they batted and that meant their bowlers were put under pressure. English First-Class cricket needs a major overhaul and a reset. World Test cricket needs close series, not one-sided thrashings. I am still convinced currently and the past 3 to 5 years (maybe more) has been not a strong period for Test cricket. I always look at things neutrally and from a world cricket point of view and Test cricket needs to improve where more series are even and in general the standard is better. I'm looking forward to seeing Australia play overseas in a few months time against Pakistan and India and I think Sri Lanka as well. They haven't travelled to play Test cricket since 2019 so it will be interesting how they perform overseas.

#AusVsEng #Ashes #AustraliaDominant
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    England were 0/68. 16.1 overs its 1/68

38.5: 10/124. England lost 10/56. Just self destructed.
    Ball dominated bat the whole series, Poms actually bowled ok fairly often but stuffed some selections early and batted like C graders tòo often(we were about a B or nearly a B- ourselves, I.e also not great).
    Our bowlers were very good and the big fella Green made good progress as the series wore on with bat and ball, is potentially a real gun all rounder.
    Seems a great young bloke too very amiable, I pray he maintains a good healthy body going forward.

Anyway stiffshit pommies 4 NIL 4 NIL :D

In summary some pretty watchable cricket throughout the series i thought, wickets were clearly prepared for a result.Other than a very slight error declaring late from our ripper new captain in Sydney that was the only blip on a result in every game, only missed by a single wicket too.

VillageKid, oldhendo, freodockers likes this post.

Thoroughly enjoyed whipping the Poms another new one out here, just a pity rain cost us another 5-0 whitewash!

oldhendo, cisco likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    In other news - I know the West Indies have struggled for years and years but how could they lose a One Day International (ODI) series to Ireland.... 2-1 in the West Indies?...
  • G-MacG-Mac    1,569 posts
    PC said:

In other news - I know the West Indies have struggled for years and years but how could they lose a One Day International (ODI) series to Ireland.... 2-1 in the West Indies?...

The Irish are better drinkers
    All I know is any side in the world would be shittylting themselves against Australia’s bowling attack.
    Green bowled one serious bouncer in the whole series and he took the blokes head off.
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    Terry Barnes in Spectator makes this point;

The Australian women’s cricket team is about to start a series of hit-and-giggle matches against their England counterparts, and the cricket authorities have the temerity to call these slogfests the Ashes. To be the Ashes, ladies, it must be Test-level cricket, a series of matches involving five days of skill and attrition. Anything else is a marketing-driven sham.

VillageKid, JayJay, cisco likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    I agree 100% with Terry Barnes

VillageKid, Thunderstruck, cisco likes this post.

Maybe the Australian Ladies games against England could be called the Lashes..........

But in all seriousness please do not call this Womens series the Ashes, the Ashes has an actual story behind dating back over 140+ years ago!

jum likes this post.

Terry Barnes in Spectator makes this point;

The Australian women’s cricket team is about to start a series of hit-and-giggle matches against their England counterparts, and the cricket authorities have the temerity to call these slogfests the Ashes. To be the Ashes, ladies, it must be Test-level cricket, a series of matches involving five days of skill and attrition. Anything else is a marketing-driven sham.
    Very hard to argue that the England men showed much skill or attrition
    Another no vote from me too, a pretty ridiculous pump up of a few games with barely any history and about as much interest..
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Perth Scorchers Mens Big Bash League (BBL) Titles:

BBL03 (2013-14)

BBL04 (2014-15)

BBL06 (2016-17)

BBL11 (2021-22)

I reckon the BBL11 Title might be the best out of all of them - they have been on the road since the 8th of December because of border restrictions due to COVID. They only played one home game at Optus Stadium. To be on the road for most of the tournament and win the Big Bash League is a great effort. One for the believers.

#FourTitles #Scorchers #TheWest

jum, VillageKid likes this post.

Reports that Justin Langer was advised he would have to reapply for his job. Regardless of your thoughts on whether he should stay in the role or not, I'm a firm believer in telling any employer to eff off in this situation. Completely disrespectful to the incumbent and a complete cop out from CA, who clearly want him removed but don't have the balls to sack him

VillageKid, Thunderstruck, cisco likes this post.

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    Australian Cricket Team…..boys club.
    The ACB should continue to back the likes of Warner and Smith and co because it’s the players that run cricket not anyone with integrity.

Reckon England will pounce with an offer twice as big as Australia’s for Langer.

Looking forward to their demise on the Pakistan tour.

jum, rooboy likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    detonator said:

Australian Cricket Team…..boys club.

The ACB should continue to back the likes of Warner and Smith and co because it’s the players that run cricket not anyone with integrity.

Reckon England will pounce with an offer twice as big as Australia’s for Langer.

Looking forward to their demise on the Pakistan tour.
    Its a national disgrace Det. A national disgrace. :-&
    How the Fuckkkk was Aaron Finch even consulted about the coach. The Muppet shouldn't have got a game in our T20 side let alone captain it. 
    Cummings i thought had a backbone. not so much now.
    And as for the ACB. They can go and get fuckedddd. Langer pulled them outthe **** 4 years ago and they fuckkk him over now. Weak as pissss. 
    I agree. I hope they fall in a big hole now. 

detonator, freodockers, rooboy likes this post.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C26ee2bhYEM

You would hate to think what they are paying this complete wanker.
    Fu$k off back to where you came from.
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    See Warney has been silent over Langers resignation.
    Not sure he is a Langer fan.
    Warne has openly slagged off Steve Waugh.
    Langer is close to Waugh. 
    When Warne was not impressed by Waughs captaincy Langer was squarely in Waughs corner.
    There was talk that Langer sucked up to Waugh by joining him on the tours to slums in India instead of getting on the pizz.
    The  CEO of Cricket Australia looks like a puppet with the strings being pulled by Smith, Warner, Lyon and Cummings.
    :-q
    edited February 2022
    Yep agree but typical of that bunch of tossers the
    Ass
    Clowns
    Board

Not a new thing though, has been laced with dickheads for decades
    detonator said:

See Warney has been silent over Langers resignation.

Not sure he is a Langer fan.
    Warne has openly slagged off Steve Waugh.
    Langer is close to Waugh. 
    When Warne was not impressed by Waughs captaincy Langer was squarely in Waughs corner.
    There was talk that Langer sucked up to Waugh by joining him on the tours to slums in India instead of getting on the pizz.
    The  CEO of Cricket Australia looks like a puppet with the strings being pulled by Smith, Warner, Lyon and Cummings.
    :-q

Not sure he is a massive fan Det but Warney when asked during a test about Langer basically said what more can he do, wins the T20 World Cup and the Ashes as his last two results, re-sign him and lets move on.

detonator, jum likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    Very happy to see Josh Inglis making his international debut for Australia tonight in the first T20 match against Sri Lanka at the SCG. I was lucky enough to have Josh in First Grade Premier cricket when I was umpiring when he was starting out at Joondalup cricket club. Josh is a nice guy and a good player - can bat and is a very good wicket keeper.

freodockers, cisco likes this post.