G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

• tony   38 seconds ago
1 Members & 10 Non Members

Melbourne Cup Carnival prize money increases

West Australian Racing
Just announced increases in the Darley sprint and Cantala both to $3million with Cantala to move back to the last day.  This could be in the Eastern States Forum but I’m more interested in what this means for our major races.  I can’t see us ever getting another Takeover Target v Apache Cat like race now with all the best sprinters now having gone Everest into the Darley the paddock will no doubt be next.  And who’s going to bring a decent miler here for a railway so close to what would no doubt be the grand final in the Cantala?  I know they have flagged changes to the Masters being announced soon, be interesting to see what they can come up with that hopefully have our races as legitimate targets for the better horses from over east.  

Comments

• FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts
    The guys on Tabradio said around 3 weeks ago that the announcement here would be "in the next week or two". Hopefully we hear what the new format/prizemoney is soon.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    The new man at Perth Racing, James Oldring... has good experience with organising carnivals. His resume had him in charge of the British Champions Series and QIPCO British Champions Series back in the UK. 
    I reckon if anyone can rejuvenate our carnival, its him. 

Chris, Flanders, Manchild likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Any chance we would double the prizemoney on a few of our features eg th4le Railway and KT bump to 2 mil each? Seems improbable to me but money talks obviously.
  • ChrisChris    5,219 posts
    Does an extra mill really move the needle though?

thefalcon likes this post.

• actionaction    60 posts
    Where do handicap milers in Melbourne aim for now??
    Railway may become a real incentive. Modest increase in prize money may be enough.
  • spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Kembla Grange
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Chris said:

Does an extra mill really move the needle though?

No I don't think so your right, does matching the Cantala prizemoney? Still maybe not a lot and i highly doubt we would stump up that sort of cash anyway so went with doubling it only..tripling it isn't a good move anyway in my opinion somewhere at the lower tiers there will be pain as a by-product of big boosts in prizemoney for a just a couple of weeks.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    pharqueing hell, we can't even stump up the money for extra wages for some (most) public holiday meetings at a city track.
    boxing day and easter monday are just 2 examples. dec 26th use to be our BIGGEST day...now its at york or somewhere.
    gone are the days eastern states people are going to look over here with greedy eyes...

Manchild likes this post.

• Buddy123Buddy123    208 posts
    WA becoming chump change..
    At least throw a bit more money at the dreaded van heest n the Perth cup..
    Yep I did enjoy Boxing Day at ascot..
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    Buddy123 said:

WA becoming chump change..
    At least throw a bit more money at the dreaded van heest n the Perth cup..
    Yep I did enjoy Boxing Day at ascot..

I think you meant to say COX Stakes  :D

Buddy123, thefalcon likes this post.

• Precision1Precision1    544 posts
    action said:

Where do handicap milers in Melbourne aim for now??

Railway may become a real incentive. Modest increase in prize money may be enough.
    Yes I missed the Mile race now called Champions Mile will be at WFA.  The Railway could well be the option for the Rupert Clarke/Toorak horses that would be outclassed at WFA.  So not top liners but get the top stables and jockeys over it adds to the event. 
    Why would any of the Eastern state stables send horses across the nation to race in a million dollar race, and have to pay the associated travel costs for said horse and staff when they can go a couple of hours south of Sydney for a mile race worth the same money as the Railway (unless rWWA put up the prise money) on the same day. Well it was last year . Remember a race at KG called the Gong?

spinking said:

Why would any of the Eastern state stables send horses across the nation to race in a million dollar race, and have to pay the associated travel costs for said horse and staff when they can go a couple of hours south of Sydney for a mile race worth the same money as the Railway (unless rWWA put up the prise money) on the same day. Well it was last year . Remember a race at KG called the Gong?

Group 1 status for a mare or stallion and also the fact it won’t be on a heavy 14 but I take your point.  I heard today Australia now has 73 races worth $1million+ How crazy is that. 
    Can group 1 races lose their group 1 status?
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    Yes if the standard is lower than the pattern group specify for I think 3 consecutive years.

spinking likes this post.

Any idea what the standard is set at Tony?
    Does the standard differ between states . We obviously don’t have the same calibre or amount of higher standard horses compared to Melbourne or Sydney
  • Vincent_vegaVincent_vega    463 posts
    Needs to go back to super saturday with railway and WBottom on the same day. And a boost to prizemoney will help, maybe wont bring horses from over east but will give us here something to aspire to and dream about

spinking, jum, thefalcon, Manchild likes this post.

• FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts
    On the flipside, the group status of races in NSW and Vic seems too easily dished out... when people say "we're going to target an easier Group 1 race", this stinks of misaligned ranking. A group 1 race should be bloody hard to win, and should be against elite horses. There shouldn't be easy G1 races... if they're easy, they should be G2 or G3

spinking, thefalcon likes this post.

• shothrushothru    243 posts
    spinking said:

Yes

spinking said:

I think the answer is no if NSW refuse to meet at Racing Australia.  PVL is holding the entire Racing Patern to ransom so it’s in a complete holding situation.

spinking said:

Any idea what the standard is set at Tony?

Not sure. I know it is the average rating of the first 4 horses but don't know what the required rating is.

• NgawyniNgawyni    738 posts
    edited June 2022
    The average rating of the first 4 horses should be 115 or more over a 3 yr period. The guidelines can be found by googling Revised Ground Rules Asian Pattern.

However to complicate it, the ratings used are not the horses' handicap ratings. I believe they are the IFHA ratings . See https://www.ifhaonline.org/default.asp?section=racing&area=1

They are usually higher than the horses' handicap ratings. 

• ChrisChris    5,219 posts
    spinking said:

Typically PR covers most of the costs - plane etc.

All of the above posts informative which is good. Chris I thought PR only covered the cost of the crowd pullers . IE Apache Cat Takeover Target Buffering etc . Or do they help out with every Eatern states entry. I thought not but stand to be corrected. The 3 group ones may be a chance of losing there status without theinpput of some of the better rated ES horses. Ngawyni does it go in nomination or acceptance of the first 4?
    I think it’s the analyst’s assessment of the merit of the performance of the first 4 having regard to weights and margins and what those horses and the others in the race had rated previously.

• Buddy123Buddy123    208 posts
    Talkin about money.. surely they could replace the 40 inch big screen at the finish line at Belmont.. sheesh it’s small..ha

Flanders, Ngawyni, thefalcon likes this post.

A bigger screen and one which shows the numbers after the race

David Hunter said on radio earlier in the week that there would be an announcement in the next few days re stakes and a "leak"  said today that (if true) there will be 4 $1.5m races at Ascot this summer

TheDiva, jum likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    That is enormous if true.
    If we build it... will they come? 

jum likes this post.