G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 38 Non Members

Melbourne Cup Carnival prize money increases

West Australian Racing

Comments

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    Perth Racing have had travel assistance for many years now, it makes no difference in the quality of field they attract.

As for saying the new bloke may bring change, he has no budget as Perth Racing as a business rely on financial assistance from RWWA. So it is RWWA and them alone who will make any decision on funding. PR simply operate the venue.

Stakes money as the sole attraction only works if you're at the top of the pile. $1M for a race at the wrong time of the year in relation to Melbourne and Sydney calendars means nothing. They have much bigger races there. At best you're going to get second stringers, horses that are simply not good enough and any way you dress that up it is still lipstick on a pig. Of course you get all but Phar Lap nominated but that is a joke in itself to justify several junkets.

As others have said before on here, the Perth carnival needs to be in the Christmas / New Year period and truncated over 7 days at the most. The weather is better, there are almost no clashes with Eastern States and Trainers of note from Sydney and Melbourne would probably see it as a better time to come and visit clients.

In my view, the WA Racing & Breeding fraternities, would be better served by leaving the feature races at $1M and instead raising the stakes across the board for Saturday Racing. Increasing stakes for just three or four races is only padding the pockets of a couple of owners, one in particular who dominates the Railway and Kingston Town.

Why not look at the best 50 Saturday races and raise them to $100,000 so there is a return to a greater number of participants ? That is a far better spend than a $1-1.5M increase on three events.

oldhendo, thefalcon, sonny likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    because they want a CARNIVAL obviously. 

Nevershowsurprise likes this post.

and these clubs have proven time and time again... if you can have a great carnival... it can keep you financial for the rest of the year. 

Flanders likes this post.

• Vincent_vegaVincent_vega    463 posts
    edited June 2022
    They are also saying the Scahill will get a HUGE boost. Carnival will be over a month and a half not just 3 weeks. And also talk of a slot race.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    talk, talk, talk...i really doubt any eastern staters will make the trek over, especially if they predict a summer as hot as this years. perths halcyon days are long gone, and we'll never get them back. "they" have twitched and turned a successful carnival into a 4 week yawn.
    what about crowds? i don't think they will come and pay through the nose for drinks and second rate food.

nice to see you pop your head above the sandbags, damien. and a fine contribution it was too. 

oldhendo, sonny likes this post.

• Precision1Precision1    544 posts
    thefalcon said:

talk, talk, talk...i really doubt any eastern staters will make the trek over, especially if they predict a summer as hot as this years. perths halcyon days are long gone, and we'll never get them back. "they" have twitched and turned a successful carnival into a 4 week yawn.

what about crowds? i don't think they will come and pay through the nose for drinks and second rate food.

nice to see you pop your head above the sandbags, damien. and a fine contribution it was too. 

That’s the spirit

Nevershowsurprise likes this post.

• Vincent_vegaVincent_vega    463 posts
    edited June 2022
    thefalcon said:

Its not talk, u will find it is unleashed 2moro. Wait for the press release.

Im not sure a g1 race of 1.5m will get the very best of them over here, but certainly would entice those horses that are midfield in the Cantala or Manikato?
    But at the end of the day if they dont want to come here, f()k em..... gives us locals with some skin in game a chance to get into the prizemoney. Id prefer the eastern states jockeys come before the horses do.

jum, thefalcon likes this post.

what it will do, is keep some horses like Elite Street here instead of going east. 
    That is surely just as good. 

thefalcon likes this post.

• LETSDOTHISLETSDOTHIS    298 posts
    Can’t fault everyone involve for having a crack and trying to bring the crowds through with some innovation. We’ll done to all involved and let’s hope it’s a success. I can’t wait to get out there

Flanders likes this post.

• NgawyniNgawyni    738 posts
    I'm more interested in seeing an announcement on increases in stakemoney generally. From 1 August, the minimum stakemoney for a Victorian Saturday metro race will be $150,000 and for a metro midweek race $55,000. That compares with $60,000 and $25,000 in WA atm. It doesn't cost 2.5 times as much to feed and train a horse in Victoria. 

Thunderstruck, sonny, goose likes this post.

nsw minimum stake are $130k, now just watch them outdo the vics by a few grand. stupid rivalry, its not even the healthy type.
    its obvious that they are the 2 big clubs when we, other 3 mainland states can only look on with envy.
    what are qld minimum stakes?  sa appears the be @ $54k, pretty close to us.
    Queensland Sat minimum $75,000.  SA racing has been a basket case for years.
    And in Victoria and NSW there are lots of country options as well. Triple Missile went over as an 84 rater, ran 4th in a $200k race at Warrnambool, won a benchmark $130,000 race at Flemington and won a $150,000 race at Swan Hill today.  

goose likes this post.

edited June 2022
    NSW announced in February minimum metro Sat stakes will be $150,000 and metro midweek $55,000 (same as Victoria). Not sure when that kicks in.
    I have to say i was pretty disappointed when I looked at the prizemoney for a winner I had last weekend. 
    $60k was the prizemoney.
    a touch under $33k to the winner...
    minus your 15%
    you're getting about $28k to win that race. 

Granted, there are some $80k races on the day.
    $43k to the winner becomes $36k after everyone gets paid.... less than half. 

Ngawyni likes this post.

thats why i would never be in another horse.
    having lunch with linda britton on sunday..some of quick jaggers pups are showing promise, i'll buy one of those..the one with the white tip on its tail..like its dad has..
    but, diva, like most of the gangemi horses it has a squadron of owners. just out of curiosity would you salvage out of the chop?
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    I see on Facebook, that Marble Bar has been cancelled. It was due to uncertainty about meeting the cost of staging the event.

Yet we have discussion about chucking in more money to Gr1's that can't even attract Interstate runners.

The game is rooted.

***ANNOUNCEMENT***
    The Marble Bar Race Club in collaboration with our partners ATL Event Management have made the difficult decision to cancel the Marble Bar Race Weekend for 2022.
    This decision has been made in the interests of preserving the Club in the long-term. Various factors have contributed to the decision but mostly - despite the ticket price increase, sponsorship (including for the community events) and continued support from our suppliers; we were unable to guarantee we could meet the costs of putting on the Races in Marble Bar this year.
    Nor’ West Jockey Club will instead be hosting the 2022 Calidus Resources Marble Bar Cup Race Meeting (5 races and the Cup) at the Roebourne Race Track. Absolute legends.
    In the meantime we have already set our sights on 2023. There's a lot of work to do between now and then to ensure we won't be in this position again but we're already making plans. We've learned a lot over the past two years.
    We have a lot of "thankyou's" that will be coming out over the next few days, but right now we want to thank everyone who bought a ticket this year - we're so sorry to do it to you, and hope we'll see you next year. You can expect a full refund shortly, keep an eye on your inbox for more information.
    Keep following this page for further updates over the coming days, weeks and months - and keep a spare pair of undies in your glove box, you never know what might come up!

sonny likes this post.

• tonytony    2,361 posts
    Ngawyni said:

NSW announced in February minimum metro Sat stakes will be $150,000 and metro midweek $55,000 (same as Victoria). Not sure when that kicks in.

1st July

Ngawyni likes this post.

• meatpiemeatpie    410 posts

I see on Facebook, that Marble Bar has been cancelled. It was due to uncertainty about meeting the cost of staging the event.

Yet we have discussion about chucking in more money to Gr1's that can't even attract Interstate runners.

The game is rooted.

***ANNOUNCEMENT***
    The Marble Bar Race Club in collaboration with our partners ATL Event Management have made the difficult decision to cancel the Marble Bar Race Weekend for 2022.
    This decision has been made in the interests of preserving the Club in the long-term. Various factors have contributed to the decision but mostly - despite the ticket price increase, sponsorship (including for the community events) and continued support from our suppliers; we were unable to guarantee we could meet the costs of putting on the Races in Marble Bar this year.
    Nor’ West Jockey Club will instead be hosting the 2022 Calidus Resources Marble Bar Cup Race Meeting (5 races and the Cup) at the Roebourne Race Track. Absolute legends.
    In the meantime we have already set our sights on 2023. There's a lot of work to do between now and then to ensure we won't be in this position again but we're already making plans. We've learned a lot over the past two years.
    We have a lot of "thankyou's" that will be coming out over the next few days, but right now we want to thank everyone who bought a ticket this year - we're so sorry to do it to you, and hope we'll see you next year. You can expect a full refund shortly, keep an eye on your inbox for more information.
    Keep following this page for further updates over the coming days, weeks and months - and keep a spare pair of undies in your glove box, you never know what might come up!
    The 'event' in these cases is more than the races, it is a weekend 'festival' or the peripheral entertainment that make the weekend so successful that might have been the issue. These race meetings are sometimes more than the racing.
    thefalcon said:

but, diva, like most of the gangemi horses it has a squadron of owners. just out of curiosity would you salvage out of the chop?

Regardless of how many owners there are, I still get my share.
    Not sure what you mean?

meatpie, Nevershowsurprise likes this post.

• meatpiemeatpie    410 posts
    edited June 2022
    Big announcement just released by Perth Racing, someone with ability maybe able to link it in.

Great initiative, going forward is good. Not sure about the name 'The Pinnacles' but going forward.

APOLOGIES didnt see the thread already up.