G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 27 Non Members

Wimbledon 2022.

Sport
ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
Biggest upset of the tournament(or one of depending on any other tankers)will come in the men's 3rd round when Kyrgios beats Tsitsipas, to be played on Saturday night on a main court I'm guessing.
Nick is dismantling the 26th seed as I type like he is one of the B graders I used to play against a long time ago.. :P

Comments

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    I'm getting soft.Katie Boulter a local lass(probably a battler I'm unsure of her ranking)and Alex De Minaur's girlfriend just had her biggest career win beating 2021 finalist Carolina Pliskova.

Beautiful but sad at the same time was she dedicated the win to her grandmother who passed away 2 days ago :( and her Pop was up in the box too..that's pretty damn special.

Hope she can keep winning.

cisco, thefalcon likes this post.

Sadly Katie was well beaten in her next match, probably quite a let down emotionally anyway great effort by her.

And what about Nicky boy!! Knocks out the Greek in 4 his game is HUGE at the moment he can win the thing how good would that be.
    I know he is a polarising guy blah not a role model blah plus more and yep the criticism is justified but pure ability wise and when on like now he is every bit as good as all the challengers around.

Haven't looked past next round to see when he plays more big guns(and nor should he but his next round is extremely winnable)but he is good enough to beat everyone there, question is can he maintain or control the rage [-O<

Must mention we have four players through to the second week 3 men which is great and one lady Anna Tomlijanovic great stuff Aussie's!

freodockers likes this post.

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    English commentators are hilarious on the Kyrgios match.
    Absolutely smashing Nick. Castle said Kyrgios’s Dad was “moaning” that Kyrgios was being treated unfairly. 
    Pain killers working quickly was another comment. Kyrgios bashing is better than the tennis.
    Poor old Todd Woodbridge is caught in the cross fire.
    =))

jum, Thunderstruck likes this post.

Scrapes through Nicky boy the young yank looks promising.Glad they have balance in the commentary and Nick does bring the attention on himself, their a lippy lot lol though usually it's the brother fuelling the fire isn't it? Should get through his q/f too if he can keep it together, Poms would be filthy if he wins the thing :D

De Minaur loses in 5 after being 2 sets up phuck a duck oh well he will be hurting, glad I didn't put him in my multi.

I did however riskily put Anna T in it and in a typically roller-coaster match she prevailed in 3 at $2 to provide very nice cream on the Kyrgios, Fritz and Nadal pie.

So 2 out of 4 Aussies are through to the quarters which is good for us.

detonator likes this post.

edited July 2022
    I had a 2 leg multi Nadal into the Joker.
    Wasn`t feeling any of the other matches to boost my multi.
    Last couple of  rounds I was surprised at the relatively generous odds on Nadal. $1.14 and $1.16 against a couple of no names.
    Obviously the bookies haven`t worked out that Rafa can actually play on grass and is a two time champion. 
    Also considering the bookies had the Demon at $1.12 in his matches. Hmmm unusual.@-)
    edited July 2022
    detonator said:

I had a 2 leg multi Nadal into the Joker.

Wasn`t feeling any of the other matches to boost my multi.
    Last couple of  rounds I was surprised at the relatively generous odds on Nadal. $1.14 and $1.16 against a couple of no names.
    Obviously the bookies haven`t worked out that Rafa can actually play on grass and is a two time champion. 
    Also considering the bookies had the Demon at $1.12 in his matches. Hmmm unusual.@-)

Bit odd too short really and he cant be trusted as the pressure gets bigger, was I think 1.19 against Garin, idk how he lost that other than a long stop at chokesville station..
    Thought my Ajla(how rude of me calling her Anna) leg was gone when she was down a set and couldn't hold serve in the 2nd(was 2/7 holds in 14 games lol)then the French chick began to fold, absolute roller-coaster the Sheila's in tennis.

I'll go again, the bigger guns in the men's all win you would think.
    Novak 1.12, Nick 1.25 again, Rafa's 1.38 is Fritz a danger Det?? And Norrie the Englishman is 1.43 and I think he wins for this reason alone, sure digs in this leftie and no 1 Pom.
    Ladies less clear and whilst Halep is the shortest i reckon at better odds Rybakina 1.56 probably ends Ajla's great run(at 2.50 could have a saver ticket on her winning as it's not impossible she could jag 1 more win).
    Fritz is a danger I reckon. Got a big game and is confident. Would need to watch the highlights to have a real opinion on either. Watching Kyrigos and they kept reporting on Fritz who seemed to be doing it real easy. Not sure on that one.
    Norrie I reckon is a good bet. Might do a "one outer" on him. Lefty and has a tank. Can rally and retrieve as good as most out there. Crowd support may get into Goffins head.
    Halep I don`t trust. Great rack though.@-)

Thunderstruck likes this post.

Great indeed haha.

Same method here, as all the other legs are tomorrow have had a single bet on Norrie, skipped taking the "boost" for Novak though probably should have.
    edited July 2022
    After a comfortable first set lead Djokovic could go a set down...big comeback by the non Italian looking italian guy.

After a comfortable first set lead Djokovic could go a set down...big comeback by the non Italian looking italian guy.

Haha. Looks more like he comes from that other country that starts with an I……..Ireland. :-B

Thanks for getting me thinking about Norrie TS.
    Wasn’t initially really committed to that one but when you posted I thought you may be on to something so followed you in. Cheers mate.
    Could do without the “come from behind” stress though. Lol
    Novak always had Sinner covered, even from 2 sets down. You can always tell because he remains calm. Good enough to give the crowd value for their money.
    <:-P
    Yes he didn't make it easy lol always felt he would do enough but just not take 5 bloody sets to get it done.

Re Novak(and it's a habit I rarely get into)but i briefly contemplated live betting Novak late in the 3rd was also fairly confident that he would come back and win..didn't get to the point of checking what the odds were but the price would have been ok I assume with him still behind 2 sets to 1.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    it doesnt take much for his wheels to come off.... so surely this might make them come off? 

Will find out tonight.At least the vultures won't get to grill/fire him up until after the match..it could be explosive/derailing to his next match also if he gets through.

Dont condone violence for one minute but there is just as much chance maybe more that this is BS by the ex attention seeker? See it a fair bit from wags.
    If he is guilty however throw the book at him(quite volatile temperament it's certainly possible)

The timing is interesting too...

Yes he didn't make it easy lol always felt he would do enough but just not take 5 bloody sets to get it done.

Re Novak(and it's a habit I rarely get into)but i briefly contemplated live betting Novak late in the 3rd was also fairly confident that he would come back and win..didn't get to the point of checking what the odds were but the price would have been ok I assume with him still behind 2 sets to 1.

I thought I saw a touch of even money when Joker was 2 sets down. May have been even better ?
    But may be getting confused with Norrie live betting?
    Novak odds shortened to where he started when he secured a break in the 3rd. That is how the script usually reads in his matches when he decides to give the crowd some entertainment.
    Can’t see him not winning the title barring injury. From highlights I have seen of Rafa he is not exactly tearing it up but don’t ever count out the GOAT.
    @-)
    Your goat is under the pump as I type Det..50/50 at best he might pull through but 2 sets to 1 behind.
    Their swapping service breaks early in the 4th but he has just gone ahead 3-2 after breaking again.Rafa's will probably gets him home if it goes to a fifth, these pretenders usually can't finish off the greats.

Meanwhile Nicky goes through with a fairly routine straight sets win, beats guys like Garin for breakfast :D
    Remains on track to win the bloody thing just 2 more matches, i'm pretty confident he beats the next opponent would rather it was Rafa than the guy with big weapons Fritz.

Ajla T gallant in defeat but couldn't maintain the form after winning the first set, still overall it was a great effort by the adopted Aussie.
    edited July 2022
    Woke up this morning and see The GOAT won in 5 with an abdominal strain.
    Read he is in doubt for even lining up for the semi final ?
    This is one of my bug bears in tennis. He may not line up and hence robbing the tournament and those that have bought finals packages a Grand Slam.
    Maybe they should have a rule where if he cannot take the court then Fritz should be allowed to continue. 
    The Qtr final prize money would be divided equally so Rafa still has the incentive to win the Qtr final for the extra prizemoney and points rather than quit half way thru the match. 
    But as he is serving to win the 5th set is he thinking I won`t be able to play my next match but I will still knock this guy out. A fit Fritz would have more chance of beating Kyrgios rather than a 70% fit Nadal if he gets up to play.
    They have a rule in tennis where even if you lose in Qualifying you can still potentially continue with a "lucky Loser" spot. Not on the same scale as a semi final spot, but better than watching a replays of previous matches because of a potential walkover.
    Rafa has played injured previous in a slam against Ferrer at the OZ open and it was a pedestrian snorefest predictable loss.
    :-?
    Yeh I agree with what you say..my other query is if even remotely serious how does he even play on for 3 1/2 hours? Let alone win!
    Is there some theatre in it you think? Djokovic has form for injuries yet always wins..idk or it could just be the seriousness of these injuries is overplayed, because how do you play at full revs with a serious injury of this type.

Would be disappointing for fans if there was no semi final match-up and Fritz misses out which is unfair BUT why didn't he beat an injured guy is my one proviso..had lots of opportunity to do so.

True winners like the big 3 it isn't in their nature to give up/quit ever and they will always think they can win, then think they will recover and win again etc..idk if it's all that selfish or not to be honest I know from a past one you do and that's fine.

And....I reckon he probably recovers "miraculously" anyway and is a big chance to win again lol

edited July 2022
    Yes you make some good points TS. I reckon Joker is the king of the fake injury. Seen it too many times. Not sure why he needs to do it to too be honest.
    Rafa has had his share too but maybe the bias in me gets him a pass.
    But as we know all tennis players are prima donnas. Haha.
    Even Kyrgios the other night. Had a shoulder complant. Feeling it every point almost. Swallows some pain killers and 30 secs later hitting winners....pain gone.
    I want some of those drugs !!!!@-)

I want some too :)) yep some theatre I'd say and I'm not super critical really, just reckon they take some licence.

Reckon Taylor Fritz would be packing his bags getting ready to leave Wimbledon thinking you selfish ***t Rafa.
    IMHO Rafa would have been wiped by Novak and was 50 50 against “the circus performer” in Kyrgios.
    I love Rafa but not sure he has done himself or the sport any good by his withdrawal on the back of limping to the line in the QF. [-X

Yep just caught up with the news, sensational headline indeed he wont be very popular.Fritz has some right to be pissed off I guess.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,744 posts

Sun reports;

OH, the irony of it – as Wimbledon and the Royal Family suffered their worst nightmare this summer.

The decision in April to ban Russians and Belarussians from SW19 due to the ongoing war in Ukraine was a bold move but one that divided opinion within tennis circles.

And yet against that political backdrop, it is utterly ironic that the first singles winner of the 2022 Championships was… a Moscow-born player!

Though she represents Kazakhstan on the international stage and has done so since 2018 Elena Rybakina grew up in the Russian capital and is believed to still reside there.

freodockers likes this post.

Wow. Just watched Kyrgios pre Final press conference. 18 mins of the “best of Kyrgios”.
    Was wondering if this was Jekyll or was it Hyde. 
    He spoke beautifully and so humble.=D>

edited July 2022
    He is or can be loose but he is a deep guy, saw some of an interview with his mum too earlier today.
    Nick has some demons and NO Filter at all I think he tries to manage them and has improved, obviously still has some fails in this area but I just love the man anyway..
    In fact I love Aussie men doing well/winning Slams, I am still upset Wilander phukn beat Pat Cash and that Goran beat Patty Rafter lol

Will be cheering hard for Nicky boy(no bets tho)idk if he can beat Novak(definitelyhas thegame to)but he has shown here he belongs at or near the top level..go lad you can do it!!!!
    I also pray that he keeps his shit together if things don't go to plan and he gets well beaten.
    One set all.
    I used my $10.00 bonus bet on Joker to win in 5 @ $6.50
    But….. I am on the NICK TRAIN…..GO NICK !!!!!!\:D/
  • spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Not even tennis related. But did it just get cold at Wimbledon or did Kyrgios sister just get told by the establishment to put her jacket on.. maybe a dress code violation by another Kyrgios this one not even on court
    That service break could be match defining :(

spinking likes this post.

spinking said:

Not even tennis related. But did it just get cold at Wimbledon or did Kyrgios sister just get told by the establishment to put her jacket on.. maybe a dress code violation by another Kyrgios this one not even on court

Did she take it back off after ?
    I hope so 
    :-B

spinking, freodockers likes this post.