G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 37 Non Members

What a Desperado!

West Australian Racing
TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
edited December 2014 West Australian Racing
This bloke committed fraud, forged a winning ticket and stole for the sake of (someone help me my eyes are not that good, but im pretty sure it was) $5 each way on Protectionist - a collect of $58.50.

A bit of a stretch by channel 9 claiming the 19 year old "won big" 

+1 -1

notapunta likes this post.

Comments

• TucoolTucool    156 posts
    What a moron !!! and channel 9 exaggeration!!!!
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    Actually I have a grudging respect for creative criminals. Who would even think of doing that? Seems a lot of fuss over $50....1st world problems much?
  • rustyhrustyh    2,266 posts
    :)]
    Tell me more about how you can 'forge' a ticket?
    ^#(^

paraletic likes this post.

• rustyhrustyh    2,266 posts
    =)) =)) =)) :-)) :-)) :-))
    On a lighter note................how's the chicks name! :)) :))
    ;)) ;))
    S.Pillage...............spillage. Lol.
    <:-P
    I got a mate who's nickname is "spillage', as he is useless when he is on the turps.
    Always spilling drinks.
    =D> =)) :D
    Classic.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    I thought all the data was on the bar code.... :-??
    he didn't half destroy the ticket by the look of it..just fed it through in the normal way... :-?
    hope they don't gaol the poor bastard....
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    I knew a bird who had the nickname "mangrove"
    cos she had a complicated and twisted rooting system.... :-\"

RIO likes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts

I thought all the data was on the bar code.... :-??

I'm not a tech head but as far as I know the barcode is just the means for the scanner to read the information. So as long as you knew what software was used by the TAB, it would simply be a matter of using the appropriate program to assign the ticket number to the barcode. I have worked in warehousing so I've had to create barcodes in the past for the purpose of logging in my ID in an RF Scanner....I never thought of 'alternative' uses for it though...as I said this guy is a genius =D>
  • JailJimJailJim Posts: 1
    edited December 2014
    It's actually all to easy anyone can make a quid on the net anyone

No internet sites are fool proof security proof or infallible or impassable trust me I know

The Internet has all sorts of kooks on it

Post a pic on Facebook of your face presto you will be on ID all over the world in minutes

Did you know there was a teen in the US that created several hundred user names on stocks forums

He used these to buy then ramp penny dreadfuls share price up

Got shut down by the Feds

India there are boiler rooms employing ramping rajahs on stock sites here

All too easy when you know how just pick a small market cap create an go

It's rife in the stock world that's why only idiots read stock forums like HC an TS

By the way MGX has been a carve up get on nudge nudge it's a moral for a earn

An example of the gullible with keyboards it's a fraudsters dream

Caveat Emptor folks

This has been a free community ANN

JJ

• BC4EBC4E    268 posts
    edited December 2014
    I actually played in a premiership side with a guy that got himself in a bit of trouble at the trots going back many years ago.

He was pretty smooth with the ladies, and in the process of chatting up one of the tote operators, managed to find out how to open up and sign on one of the many vacant and easily accessible Tote Machines on course. He then proceeded to have a couple of hundred dollars on each horse in the race, and then go and collect from one of the official outlets. He got away with it for a few races before the TAB worked out that they had an extra machine doing business on course. Security was called and "Tote" as he was affectionately known at the footy club was chased off course by the fat, old security at the time.

The only mistake he made was when he went back the next day to try and cash in his remaining tickets at the local TAB. He was detained, arrested and charged as they had obviously put a stop on the tickets concerned. This was back in the early 90's.
  • lamelame    1,757 posts
    edited December 2014
    JailJim said:

It's actually all to easy anyone can make a quid on the net anyone

No internet sites are fool proof security proof or infallible or impassable trust me I know

The Internet has all sorts of kooks on it

Post a pic on Facebook of your face presto you will be on ID all over the world in minutes

Did you know there was a teen in the US that created several hundred user names on stocks forums

He used these to buy then ramp penny dreadfuls share price up

Got shut down by the Feds

India there are boiler rooms employing ramping rajahs on stock sites here

All too easy when you know how just pick a small market cap create an go

It's rife in the stock world that's why only idiots read stock forums like HC an TS

By the way MGX has been a carve up get on nudge nudge it's a moral for a earn

An example of the gullible with keyboards it's a fraudsters dream

Caveat Emptor folks

This has been a free community ANN

JJ

back again already , as bout a good a tip as the cleaner
    ;)
    MGX's only producing mine left is extention hill which is losing money , they'll be lucky to even survive nether lone go up

RIO, Darkhorse, oldhendo likes this post.

• obrienrbobrienrb    630 posts
    edited December 2014
    Hahahahahaha whatta joke!...5 each way....

The other night I accidentally scanned my voucher without realising..next bloke on the machine got my $350....I shoulda rung channel 9!

Bad luck to the young lady tho
  • loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    This was posted yesterday on Twitter

DO NOT POST WINNING TICKETS WITH BARCODES VISIBLE ON SOCIAL MEDIA

therealkramer likes this post.

• LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    edited December 2014
    Surely the TAB have paid out the young lady, she may have made a mistake, but the fact their machine and/or operator didn't pick up the use of a fake ticket - I would have thought the machine would have noticed the difference in paper stock and/or print quality.

Also would be a good PR job for the TAB who could do with all the good PR they can get atm!
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Its pretty easy to get that paper to print on...what are the bookies tickets???? nah she had a bet and even when she won she lost..........imagine how many times you could make copies of tickets you've cashed in already and then go whinging to the TAB that you cant collect it????

If they pay her out, it'd be a invitation to rip them off every week!!!!!
    edited December 2014
    RIO said:

Its pretty easy to get that paper to print on...what are the bookies tickets???? nah she had a bet and even when she won she lost..........imagine how many times you could make copies of tickets you've cashed in already and then go whinging to the TAB that you cant collect it????

If they pay her out, it'd be a invitation to rip them off every week!!!!!

Have to disagree on this one @RIO

She is the victim of a crime, a crime which was caught on camera, a crime that now has been handed over to the police, a crime which the TAB should have been able to prevent (if their new wizzbang system is any good).

I agree it was her fault (no doubt).  And you reckon anyone is gonna do the same after that bloke for $50 gets a gig on Crimestoppers TV (pretty big deterrent right there).

Until December 6th (when TABtouch tweeted and the Crimestoppers story aired), no one would have thought this was even possible!

I guess however you're right in one sense, these machines do handle the thick ticket paper and the thinner thermal paper, so hard to judge the thickness, but still - a pretty serious security breach (and no doubt the TAB are looking into it with new security measures already!)
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    She can put in a lost ticket claim like everyone can and see how she goes...IMO

My greater concern is that it allows for a long term loophole in their system if they encourage - by way of compensating her - people to defraud the system.

i could easily go in to a tab and run a photocopied winning ticket through( not unusual to run 30+ tickets through at any one time) , then give the real ticket to a mate to go and collect at a totally different TAB 2 or 3 weeks later..The evidence - apart from a video tape - would be lost. Yes they would have a video of me collecting a ticket that i had already put on and I'd deny any corruption what so ever, and they'd be baffled about how the real ticket was now in someone else's hands??

If it was a $1500 winning ticket would they hand over the money??? if they do with the $50 claimer, then they would have set up a precedent of how to solve the situation... lets not forget that this supposedly "unknown" person got the photo of the ticket from her FB page..

I hear your point LLS but I'm happy to be on the other side of the fence here..I'd rather deter people from posting photos of tickets, instead of encouraging people to duplicate this process on a much larger organised scale.
  • It's not her fault the TAB system can be defrauded.
    edited December 2014
    I hear your point LLS but I'm happy to be on the other side of the fence here..I'd rather deter people from posting photos of tickets, instead of encouraging people to duplicate this process on a much larger organised scale.
    I feel the TAB should be looking into using technology that eliminates this from happening (rather than just saying don't post photos of tickets).  Don't get me wrong, it's good they have suggested not posting the barcodes off tickets, but that is not closing the loophole!

Paper with UV material or holographic logos could be used, the cost may be prohibitive, but some security surely is warranted.

In fairness to WA TAB it would appear all Australian TAB's are using purely a barcode system without any noticeable UV or Holographic technology embedded in the ticket.

Samples