Who's Online

0 Members & 19 Non Members

Comments

• Thoroly_BreadThoroly_Bread    2,311 posts
    Pretty scary
  • TucoolTucool    156 posts
    Armageddon here we come.
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    It also makes a joke of the claim that giving Betfair a licence would guarantee the industry would thrive in Tassie.
  • bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    Betfair haven't made a profit in Australia since they arrived, so they can't up their sponsorship money.

That's why Sandown racecourse naming rights went from being called Betfair park to Sportingbet Park.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    I'm not sure yet if we should sell the TAB or not but one thing I am certain of is that we shouldn't let THIS government do it, they have screwed up everything they have touched and they are desperate. If it's to be sold, a competent government needs to do the deal.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    and that's from a liberal voter!!!
  • squid69squid69    1,434 posts
    Competent government- now there is a contradiction in terms...

bookielover, TheDiva, Chelsea, thefalcon, rustyh likes this post.

• youknowityouknowit    271 posts
    So we should get Mark McClown to sell it?
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    squid69 said:

Competent government- now there is a contradiction in terms...

youknowit said:

So we should get Mark McClown to sell it?

listening to Jon Hewson being interviewed recently and he was saying how poor the current bunch of politicians are....

The above is proof...the government aren't competent and the opposition are run like/by clowns!!!!!

It'll be change for the sake of change, but no real change......

I'm with you Diva, it could be sold...and i feel it could be great for the industry, but i cant believe RWWA or the government are competent enough to do it right!!!!
  • AquanitaAquanita    566 posts
    I sometimes wonder where you are coming from Rio.

RWWA would have no say whatsoever in the sale and the evidence is there for all to see that losing control of the TAB and relying on Government for funding is a disaster.

thefalcon likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited July 2015
    ???RWWA are having a big say in the conditions of sale that need to be addressed to ensure continued funding of all codes.....I think their estimated funding requirements going forward will have a big impact on the sale. or salability of the TAB

Oh and no government run body has ever been commercially competitive...And nor they should be. As soon as a body managed by the government starts to be profitable it should be sold. The government should never be involved in profit making from any activity.. Their role should be to support, nurture and grow things. The TAB is a mature product that is profitable............get rid of it and get on with good governance.

But I have no confidence that either political party has the Intelligence/desire to make sure the industry is fully protected if the TAB is sold....and RWWA is a big part of that process..

bookielover likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    Getting rid of the TAB through a sale has been proven around Australia to not work. What amount of evidence of dire consequences do you need ? Corporate bookmakers have raped the landscape of turnover and stakes are going backwards at Titanic collision rates. The Tasmanian Govt is largely to blame, as they let the bloodsuckers in.

But WA doesn't need to follow for some quick cash. But Australian politics at the moment is dictated by a survival mode, nothing about doing what is right for the State or nation. So I think the WA TAB will sell, I just hope they get many times what it is worth.
  • ChrisChris    5,218 posts
    edited July 2015
    I'm sure I'll get given the plank here but I would say that our metro racing is in a pretty healthy place comparatively. A majority of 50-60k races on Saturday's (during Winter) with lots of small fields (good for those who cash in). I'm surprised more E/S trainers haven't tried to setup base here, we must have a bad rep :-\"

Aquanita, GaryH, Legless likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited July 2015
    Perhaps we can lease it out to the corporates for 10 years at $25mil/year and leave the current funding model there.

I think the state government is getting about $40mil/year at the moment, so if the corps think it's got value they can go and make it.... But doubt you'd have a lot of people bidding for that sort of lease!!!

EDIT..PS, I am an ideas type of person..Functionality of concepts has never been and will never be my thing..

Ferris273 likes this post.

• AquanitaAquanita    566 posts
    Is that an ideas type of person or no idea? :))

Only joking Rio.

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    wear the NFI badge proudly.....cos not all of mine are understood or right....But just enough are to keep me employed...thank the lord!!!!!!
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts

Getting rid of the TAB through a sale has been proven around Australia to not work. What amount of evidence of dire consequences do you need ? Corporate bookmakers have raped the landscape of turnover and stakes are going backwards at Titanic collision rates. The Tasmanian Govt is largely to blame, as they let the bloodsuckers in.

But WA doesn't need to follow for some quick cash. But Australian politics at the moment is dictated by a survival mode, nothing about doing what is right for the State or nation. So I think the WA TAB will sell, I just hope they get many times what it is worth.

I think you'll find it was the NT government that paved the way for the bloodsuckers many years ago.

thefalcon, Chelsea likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    Someone suggested I should look at the number of people at RWWA who are listed on the corporate social media page, Linked In. Close to 200 I'm told. Sounds like an awful lot of resume writing goes on there ??
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    Another state in a financial hole after the sale of their TAB.

https://www.punters.com.au/news/12-million-loss-spells-dire-times-for-Racing-Qld-_138188/
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    just proof that governments shouldn't be involved in our industry as they have proven they have no idea on how to negotiate what is required to keep an industry healthy

• LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    Qld in the shite too

https://www.punters.com.au/news/12-million-loss-spells-dire-times-for-Racing-Qld-_138188/

TAB sold off up there too - not sure when, about 5 years ago I think
    Legless said:

Qld in the shite too

Sharp as usual.
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    TAB Qld was privatised.in 1999
    QLD racing have been painting a rosie picture.

The dire financial position has come to light primarily because of the disgusting and abhorred actions of a few in the dishlickers caper
    Fastmoney said:

Legless said:

Qld in the shite too

Sharp as usual.
    Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Lest you also be like him

[-O< @chris for an iggy button.
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    All good talking about it on here, but will someone send these links to colin please? I dont have his email address...
    Feedback from those that I have discussed it with is that its basically a done deal - cash strapped Govt and an asset that makes a profit that they can sell = gonski :|

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited July 2015
    not spoken to anyone important for a while, but that is my read on it too Legless....just a matter of when? which track stays? and how can they maximize the TAB's value??
    scary to think RWWA is in charge of that process

edited July 2015
    RWWA only included in the process after the minister asked for a group to deal with at the Symposium.

All previous discussions were with the WARRG headed by Michael Grant.

All industry bodies(and RWWA) are now involved in coming up with the industries conditions if the TAB is sold.

RIO likes this post.

edited July 2015
    Basically the government has asked the industry what it needs to be sustainable, for the future, if the TAB was to be sold.

RIO likes this post.