In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 16 Non Members

ATP Tennis

Sport
PAULPAUL    2,665 posts
edited February 2016 Sport
TOURNAMENTS
Jan 4-10 - ATP 250 - Chennai, India (Wawrinka)
Jan 4-10 - ATP 250 - Doha, Qatar (Djokovic)
Jan 4-10 - ATP 250 - Brisbane, Australia (Raonic)
Jan 11-17 - ATP 250 - Auckland, NZ (Bautista Agut)
Jan 11-17 - ATP 250 - Sydney, Australia (Troicki)
Jan 18-31 - GRAND SLAM - Australian Open (Djokovic)
Feb 1-7 - ATP 250 - Quito, Ecuador (Estrella Burgos)
Feb 1-7 - ATP 250 - Montpellier, France (Gasquet)
Feb 1-7 - ATP 250 - Sofia, Bulgaria (Bautista Agut)
Feb 8-14 - ATP 500 - Rotterdam, Netherlands (Klizan)
Feb 8-14 - ATP 250 - Buenos Aires, Argentina (Thiem)
Feb 8-14 - ATP 250 - Memphis, USA (Nishikori)
Feb 15-21 - ATP 500 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Cuevas)
Feb 15-21 - ATP 250 - Delray Beach, USA (Querrey)
Feb 15-21 - ATP 250 - Marseille, France (Kyrgios)
Feb 22-27 - ATP 500 - Dubai, UAE
Feb 22-27 - ATP 500 - Acapulco, Mexico
Feb 22-27 - ATP 250 - Sao Paulo, Brazil
Mar 10-20 - ATP MASTERS 1000 - Indian Wells, USA
Mar 21-Apr 3 - ATP MASTERS 1000 - Miami, USA
Apr 4-10 - ATP 250 - Houston, USA
Apr 4-10 - ATP 250 - Marrakech, Morocco
Apr 10-17 - ATP MASTERS 1000 - Monte Carlo, Monaco
Apr 18-24 - ATP 500 - Barcelona, Spain
Apr 18-24 - ATP 250 - Bucharest, Romania
Apr 25-May 1 - ATP 250 - Istanbul, Turkey
Apr 25-May 1 - ATP 250 - Munich, Germany
Apr 25-May 1 - ATP 250 - Estoril, Portugal
May 1-8 - ATP MASTERS 1000 - Madrid, Spain
May 8-15 - ATP MASTERS 1000 - Rome, Italy
May 15-21 - ATP 250 - Nice, France
May 15-21 - ATP 250 - Geneva, Switzerland
May 22-Jun 5 - GRAND SLAM - French Open
Jun 6-12 - ATP 250 - s-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands
Jun 6-12 - ATP 250 - Sturtgart, Germany
Jun 13-19 - ATP 500 - Halle, Germany
Jun 13-19 - ATP 500 - Queens, GBR
Jun 19-25 - ATP 250 - Nottingham, GBR
Jun 27-Jul 10 - GRAND SLAM - Wimbledon
Jul 11-17 - ATP 500 - Hamburg, Germany
Jul 11-17 - ATP 250 - Newport, USA
Jul 11-17 - ATP 250 - Bastad, Sweden
Jul 18-24 - ATP 500 - Washington, USA
Jul 18-24 - ATP 250 - Umag, Croatia
Jul 18-24 - ATP 250 - Gstaad, Switzerland
Jul 18-24 - ATP 250 - Kitzbuhel, Austria
Jul 25-31 - ATP MASTERS 1000 - Toronto, Canada
Aug 1-6 - ATP 250 - Atlanta, USA
Aug 6-14 - OLYMPICS - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Aug 8-14 - ATP 250 - Los Cabos, Mexico
Aug 14-21 - ATP MASTERS 1000 - Cincinnati, USA
Aug 21-27 - ATP 250 - Winston-Salem, USA
Aug 29-Sep 11 - GRAND SLAM - US Open
Sep 19-25 - ATP 250 - St Petersburg, Russia
Sep 19-25 - ATP 250 - Metz, France
Sep 26-Oct 2 - ATP 250 - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Sep 26-Oct 2 - ATP 250 - Shenzhen, China
Oct 3-9 - ATP 500 - Tokyo, Japan
Oct 3-9 - ATP 500 - Beijing, China
Oct 9-16 - ATP MASTERS 1000 - Shanghai, China
Oct 17-23 - ATP 250 - Stockholm, Sweden
Oct 17-23 - ATP 250 - Moscow, Russia
Oct 17-23 - ATP 250 - Antwerp, Belgium
Oct 24-30 - ATP 500 - Basel, Switzerland
Oct 24-30 - ATP 500 - Vienna, Austria
Oct 31-Nov 6 - ATP MASTERS 1000 - Paris, France
Nov 13-20 - ATP FINALS - London, GBR

RANKINGS

Comments

• PAULPAUL    2,665 posts
    edited February 2016
    Nick Kyrgios won his maiden ATP title on the weekend in Marseille, France.

Quarter-Finals: beat Gasquet 6-0 6-4
    Semi-Finals: beat Berdych 6-4 6-2
    Final: beat Cilic 6-2 7-6

Third youngest first-time winner since 2009
    20 yrs 1 mth - Milos Raonic, San Jose, 2011
    20 yrs 2 mths - Bernard Tomic, Sydney, 2013
    20 yrs 9 mths - Nick Kyrgios, Marseille, 2016 
    edited February 2016
    Kyrgios into the semi-finals at Dubai, beating seventh-ranked Berdych for the second consecutive week, 6-4 6-4.  His 8th win in a row on tour.  Plays Stan Wawrinka in S/F, with the winner to play either Marcos Baghdatis or Feliciano Lopez in the final, after Djokovic withdrew from Q/F with an eye ailment. 

Tomic into the semi-finals at Acapulco, beating Illya Marchenko 7-5 7-5.  Plays Alexandr Dolgopolov (who knocked out top-seed Ferrer) in S/F, with the winner to play either Dominic Thiem or Sam Querrey (who knocked out second-seed Nishikori) in the final.

edited February 2016
    Kyrgios pulled out of the S/F, one set down against Wawrinka, with a back injury.

Tomic lost in three sets to Dominic Thiem in the final at Acapulco, 6-7 6-4 3-6.

A good couple of weeks for Australia's top two ranked players. Australia is due to play USA (Isner, Sock & the Bryan brothers) in the first round of the Davis Cup this week, on the grass courts at Kooyong.
    edited March 2016
    PAUL said:

Australia is due to play USA (Isner, Sock & the Bryan brothers) in the first round of the Davis Cup this week, on the grass courts at Kooyong.

Aussies down 2-1 in the rubber after losing the doubles in five sets today. It will be interesting to see who Australia will play in the singles tomorrow. Groth or Hewitt? Tomic will play Isner.
    edited June 2016
    With Djokovic winning his fourth major title in a row, becoming the eighth man to win all four majors and the third to hold all four titles at the same time and also becoming the first player to win US$100 million in career prizemoney, he now also has the highest ranking points total in the history of the rankings with nearly double the points of Andy Murray.

image https://twitter.com/ATPWorldTour/status/739750570941120512
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited June 2016
    edited September 2016
    Djokovic v Wawrinka in the US Open men's final, Monday morning

Kerber v Pliskova in the Women's final tomorrow morning. I think Kerber is the new n.o 1 now regardless of whether she wins.

I think Kerber is the new n.o 1 now regardless of whether she wins.

That's right, if Kerber made the final, Serena had to win the tournament to stay #1, as Kerber had less points to defend from last year. Kerber becomes the 22nd player in WTA history to become #1. Pliskova is only the 8th player to beat Serena and Venus Williams in the same tournament.
    PAUL said:

Kerber becomes the 22nd player in WTA history to become #1.

The other 21 players since November '75 (in chronological order) are: Chris Evert, Evonne Goolagong Cawley, Martina Navratilova, Tracey Austin, Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Arantxa Sánchez Vicario, Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati, Venus Williams, Serena Williams, Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin, Amélie Mauresmo, Maria Sharapova, Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic, Dinara Safina, Caroline Wozniacki and Victoria Azarenka.
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    Kerber number #1 yesterday
    Kyrgios has won his third ATP title, winning the Japan Open by beating David Goffin 4-6 6-3 7-5.
    PAUL said:

Kyrgios has won his third ATP title, winning the Japan Open by beating David Goffin 4-6 6-3 7-5.

Now up to a career-high 14th in the rankings. The current top 10 is: Djokovic, Murray, Wawrinka, Nishikori, Nadal, Raonic, Federer, Monfils, Berdych and Thiem.
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Could be #1 if he pulled his head in, got a coach, TRAINED etc.

Jordan likes this post.

edited October 2016
    Kyrgios receives an eight-week ban from the ATP for his latest on-court performance at the Shanghai Masters.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-17/nick-kyrgios-booted-off-atp-tour-for-extended-period/7940834?pfmredir=sm
    PAUL said:

Kyrgios receives an eight-week ban from the ATP for his latest on-court performance at the Shanghai Masters.

That's eight tournament weeks, not eight calendar weeks, hence the ban extends to the week before the Australian Open.
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts

Statement on ATP Decision

Following the ATP’s decision today I would like to take this
    opportunity to apologise again for the circumstances in Shanghai. The
    season has been a long one as I battled several injuries and other
    challenges towards the end of the summer. The Asian circuit was
    particularly tough after the long week and win in Tokyo and with the
    travel throughout the continent, my body finally just gave out in
    Shanghai both physically and mentally. This is no excuse, and I know
    very well that I need to apologise to the fans – in Shanghai and in
    other parts of the world – as well as the tournament organisers in
    Shanghai who do an amazing job. I of course know how important the fans
    are to the success of our sport and I personally love the interaction
    with fans in the many different cities throughout the world on the
    tennis circuit.  I am someone who gives a huge amount of time to my fans
    because I love and value their support. Their energy is what motivates
    me to reach for the top of the game. I regret that my year is ending
    this way and that I will not have a chance to continue chasing the ATP
    Finals.  This was an important goal for me. I do understand and respect
    the decision by the ATP and I will use this time off to improve on and
    off the court. I am truly sorry and look forward to returning in 2017.

NK.

• FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cu9UkpJVMAID08f.jpg:large
    In the grand scheme of things, the penalty probably won't bother him too much at all. The only major ranking points event he will miss (that he had qualified for) is the Paris Masters in November. As long as his ranking doesn't drop below 16 by the time he resumes, he shouldn't get drawn against a top-16 opponent until the fourth round of the Australian Open.
    Andy Murray will become the World #1 on Monday when the new rankings are released, after making the final of the Paris Masters (with Raonic withdrawing from their S/F and Djokovic losing earlier on in the tournament). Murray becomes the 2nd oldest player to reach #1 for the first time (29), with only John Newcombe (30) being older.

therealkramer likes this post.

Kyrgios now ranked higher than Federer for the first time.

edited June 2017
    Thiem just beat Djokovic in straight sets 7-6, 6-3, 6-0   :)]

hash likes this post.

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    edited June 2017

Thiem just beat Djokovic in straight sets 7-6, 6-3, 6-0   :)]

Had something on Ostapenko to reach the Women's Final. Think she will beat the Swiss girl.
    Read someone compared her style to Monica Seles. Fearless and goes for her shots.
    Not a bad comparison. Monica dethroned Graf and got stabbed for her trouble.
    Ostapenko has high winners to unforced errors ratio in this tourney compared to her opponents.
    I like the fact she goes for it. Young and fearless. Just hope the semi final nerves don't get her.
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    same here det! the $2.14 in a 50/50 2 horse race was too good to refuse, I know very little about tennis but my mate put me onto this one haha
    Ostapenko had beaten Woz in their previous 2 matches, she has a distinct edge over her...

did you watch the match? she came back from 0-5 down in the first set to lose 4-6 was a huge effort to nearly take it the first set out, then in the second set tied 2 games a piece she put her foot on the gas and ran away with it 6-2 never in doubt
    50 unforced errors as opposed to Woz's 25, if she can work on that area of her game she could beat anyone going fwd in this tournament I reckon... who do you like to win the final
    Djokovic talking about taking a break from tennis. What the hell happened to him?
    @detonator I may not have given Ostapenko the credit she deserved for defeating Stosur. I was focusing on the fact that Stosur gave up a lead but so did Wozniacki.
    hash said:

50 unforced errors as opposed to Woz's 25, if she can work on that area of her game she could beat anyone going fwd in this tournament I reckon...

I think the higher unforced error rate in the match was also due to the fact she was the only one really going for outright winners, hitting 38 winners to Wozniacki's 6.

On the other side of the draw, if Pliskova beats Halep in the S/F, she becomes World #1. If Halep wins and then wins the final, she becomes World #1. If Halep loses the final, Kerber remains World #1.

hash likes this post.

edited June 2017
    hash said:

same here det! the $2.14 in a 50/50 2 horse race was too good to refuse, I know very little about tennis but my mate put me onto this one haha

Ostapenko had beaten Woz in their previous 2 matches, she has a distinct edge over her...

did you watch the match? she came back from 0-5 down in the first set to lose 4-6 was a huge effort to nearly take it the first set out, then in the second set tied 2 games a piece she put her foot on the gas and ran away with it 6-2 never in doubt
    50 unforced errors as opposed to Woz's 25, if she can work on that area of her game she could beat anyone going fwd in this tournament I reckon... who do you like to win the final
    hash said:

Saw highlights of the match Hash as the rain delay put it way past my bedtime.
    But I like the fact she goes for the winners. If conditions are calm tonight instead of the wind like the first set of the Woz match then she can take control.
    The Swiss girl is not as defensive as Woz. All things being equal, I believe Ostapenko can out hit her.
    Let's bring her home. Go you good thing !!!!
    hash said:

Lets get into the payout line Hash. =D>

hash likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    when's the last time an unseeded player has won a final?

$4.50 about the new girl on the block, anyone think she can pinch a set or push a set or two to a tiebreak
    edited June 2017
    hash said:

when's the last time an unseeded player has won a final?

In women's singles it was Serena Williams (2007 Australian Open). Before that, it was Christine O'Neil (1978 Australian Open).

On the men's side, some unseeded Grand Slam winners that I know of include Gaston Gaudio (2004 French Open), Goran Ivanisevic (2001 Wimbledon, the only wildcard ever to win a Grand Slam), Gustavo Kuerten (1997 French Open), Richard Krajicek (1996 Wimbledon), Andre Agassi (1994 US Open), Boris Becker (1985 Wimbledon), Mats Wilander (1982 French Open) and Mark Edmondson (1976 Australian Open).

detonator, therealkramer likes this post.