G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 35 Non Members

Oldest winners in WA in the last 20 years.

West Australian Racing
With Zuboyne getting the cash on Sunday at Kalgoorlie just 85 days shy of his twelfth birthday, it got me thinking. Insurgency won this season at Mt Barker as an 11yo so we've had two 11yo winners within a few months.
 How many winners can people think of that were >10?
   I remember backing Welcome Knight to win a midweek welter at Belmont as an 11yo in the late 90's. Other than that, they are pretty thin on the ground I would suspect.
+1 -1

jum, frenc11 likes this post.

Comments

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    edited May 2016

Zuboyne winning on sunday has really opened a huge can of worms for you   :))

that result has really (and still) affected you hasn't it

• RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    hash said:

Zuboyne winning on sunday has really opened a huge can of worms for you   :))

that result has really (and still) affected you hasn't it

Scarred, deeply scarred.
  • velcrocandyvelcrocandy    204 posts
    Not in the last 20 years but norms delight I think won as a 12 or 13 year old in the early 90's.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    At the trots, Don't Rush Me, who never started until he was 11 years old, won at GP as a 13 year old for Max Johnson who was 78 years old...about 4 or 5 years ago. He was compulsory retired at age 14.
    Thoroughbreds are not allowed to run as 13yos now. You now have to get special permission to run a 12yo.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts

Not in the last 20 years but norms delight I think won as a 12 or 13 year old in the early 90's.

correct, foaled in 1978 and won his last race in 1991. 
    Exador won as an 11yo too... in the 90s. 
  • TucoolTucool    156 posts
    Sari twig run around at 13 and was competitive.

jum, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Tucool said:

Sari twig run around at 13 and was competitive.

foaled in 89, won his last race in 2001...but did race competitively for a year after that (into 2002). 
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Seduced won as a 12yo? in 2003 with (W Pike on board claiming 2kg at Albany)

Funny the things we remember

Rodent, psycho likes this post.

Oh Sari Twig.............what a marvel... one of my favourites.

Ridersonthestorm33, rustyh likes this post.

H-BOMBER said:

Seduced won as a 12yo? in 2003 with (W Pike on board claiming 2kg at Albany)

Funny the things we remember
    Do you think I could remember its name? It was driving me crazy. I thought it was one of Danehill's last runners and so I looked through the stud book but nothing rang a bell. I should have gone back further as he was in Danehill's 1st crop!
     Seduced won at Albany in February as an 11yo.
    edited May 2016
    What about this story....The guy who trained Seduced, Barrie Carpenter also trained a horse called Co Striker.
     It was victorious on debut at Kojonup on Australia Day 2001 in a 1000m maiden. It was also victorious at its 79th and final start in the Kojonup Cup (1800m) on Australia Day 2008 as an 11yo. All in all it won 9 races, 5 of them at Kojonup including the Cup 3 times.
     It won the Newman Cup, as well as a race at Mt Barker and Carnarvon. Its 2nd win was a midweeker at Ascot with the Pontiff aboard. It even came close to jagging a Saturday win in town when 2nd a short head to Fort Lavinia.
     Anyway, 11 is the oldest so far. I'm sure there's a 12yo that we've forgotten.
    p.s Norm's delight won twice as a 12yo but doesn't qualify as it was 25 years ago.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• everreadyeverready    282 posts
    In nsw mustard won @ 13 yold in town on a Saturday
  • Aussiereds72Aussiereds72    601 posts
    flying gru? think jim taylor trained
    Flying Grau raced to aged 10..........was so much as a stable favourite they named another one Flying Roar............

Aussiereds72 likes this post.

In nsw mustard won @ 13 yold in town on a Saturday

Correct. Ran 3rd of 9 at Rosehill on a Saturday as a 2yo and won on a Saturday at Rosehill as a 13yo. At his 3rd last start he ran 3rd of 12 at Gosford as a 14yo!
     Amazingly under the current rules he would have been forced to retire 2 weeks before his Saturday win at Rosehill (which was a $70,000 race).
  • LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    Beyond Dispute won as a 10yo in town and raced til he was 11yo, having 123 starts!

jum, Rodent likes this post.

• runyonrunyon    569 posts
    Getting a bit off topic but in 1946, Araunah raced at Moe as a 19yo.  

Beyond Dispute won as a 10yo in town and raced til he was 11yo, having 123 starts!

Amazing. He won as a 2yo on debut in December 2000. 122 starts later he only gets beaten 1.5L in town on a Saturday as an 11yo. What an amazing constitution.
     He won 4 races in town as a 2yo including a Listed race. That must be a modern day record, to start so early and still be competitive as an 11yo.
     How's the handicapping? He wins a Listed race and then drops back to a 2yo C6 midweek and only gets 57kg!
     Neville Parnham should take a bow.

LuckyLongshots likes this post.