G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 35 Non Members

New Racing Minister

West Australian Racing
Brendon Grylls going to take over as Nationals leader and Racing and Gaming Minister.

Comments

• bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    Hey Diva, why don't you grill Grylls about giving you and your fellow on-course bookies a fair go!! :)]

jum, spinking, goose, Chelsea likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    we're half a chance becasue the last bloke had no interest. 

RIO likes this post.

• RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    Grylls might be Lucky.

RIO likes this post.

• goosegoose    1,628 posts
    Great news this he appeals as a bloke prepared to try something different for the greater good not your standard pollie and also not in the pocket of multinationals maybe Crown wont egt so many favours.
  • buffybuffy    273 posts
    Just another do nothing talk a lot like Nick Zenophon. Make Rio Tinto and BHP Billoton pay $5 a ton extra for iron ore. He is fkg kidding surely. And Twiggy still pays 25 cents!

paraletic, RIO likes this post.

• TucoolTucool    156 posts
    just another stooge.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    give the guy a go, ffs....
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    edited August 2016
    For an industry that returns $80 mil to government per year, racing has been hung out to dry.

Highest taxed in Australia.

Government support non existent.

Worst Bookmaker deal in Australia.

Racing industry in limbo for the last 3 years because of uncertainty over TAB sale.

Despite all that, RWWA returned the highest % to participants from the TAB than any other state in Australia.

Unless he is going to make prompt, significant, definitive decisions I`ll go with stooge.

Hope he proves me wrong.

RIO likes this post.

• FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    edited August 2016
    Grylls doesn`t mind the hospitality that a Country Cups meeting provides for politicians.

notapunta likes this post.

• notapuntanotapunta    938 posts
    Fastmoney said:

Grylls doesn`t mind the hospitality that a Country Cups meeting provides for politicians.

I've seen Gryllsy at Kalgoorlie round a couple of years in a row. Maybe someone could flick him a link to this website?
    Falcon. Give the guy a go? Been around a long while and all he did was hold the State to ransom with Royalties to Regions.

paraletic, RIO likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    buffy said:

Falcon. Give the guy a go? Been around a long while and all he did was hold the State to ransom with Royalties to Regions.

yep totally agree. Building rec centres and god knows what else with tax payer money in towns with hardly anyone living there....

RIO likes this post.

jum dislikes this post.

Just another do nothing talk a lot like Nick Zenophon. Make Rio Tinto and BHP Billoton pay $5 a ton extra for iron ore. He is fkg kidding surely. And Twiggy still pays 25 cents!

Buffy how you can fall in love with BHP and RIO is beyond me they contribute the bare minimum employ the bare minimum and put the bare minimum back into local communities they are just taking dirt out of the state nothing clever in that.
    Grylls like me has seen how they operate the state needs money and needs to diversify making them pay instead of middle income earners great idea they get looked after better here than anywhere else in the world.

jum likes this post.

edited August 2016
    paraletic said:

buffy said:

buffy said:

yep totally agree. Building rec centres and god knows what else with tax payer money in towns with hardly anyone living there....

Yer terrible idea putting money back into towns that havent had a cent spent on them in 30 years meanwhile generating billions in tax why look after them ever?  

jum likes this post.

Yeah put there  price up $5 a ton in WA. Then they can mine in Brazil South Africa and all the places where they can mine iron ore and tell Grylls to fk himself and Twiggy and the rest can pay their 25 cents royalty. That should help.

TheFunkster likes this post.

Mate they have every chance in the world to go elsewhere and they dont it is too good here dont believe the crocodile tears they still make huge profits here if they dont want to mine it leave it in the ground. 
    Twiggy and Gina will get theirs all in good time BHP and RIO have taken billions out of the state for 30 years dont feel sorry for them they dont care about you.

TheDiva, Legless, thefalcon, jum, CPL likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    From my perspective, in Manjimup, Royalties For Regions is a mixed bag. The place hadn't had a cent spent on it for many decades, totally ignored...not a marginal seat and had no clout in getting anything. With RFR, we are getting a long, long overdue new Hospital, we have had Doctor accommodation built to assist getting GP's to come and stay, I personally oversaw the spending of $1.8 million on a a new Science Faculty at the high school, 3 new laboratories, staff and Technician facilities that replaced 54 year old dinosaur science rooms, in conjunction with the Feds, a brilliant new Trade Training Centre was built and linked to the TAFE campus, the Southern Forest Food Council was established and funded to market produce from the states biggest Salad Bowl to both domestic and export markets, some really critical Highway safety upgrades and road works....and many other smaller projects that would never have happened without RFR....sure, there has been some wasteful spending on "streetscape" window dressing, painting of shop fronts and quite a few signs along with some other arguably wasteful spending but on balance, I think to glibbly label  RFR as building unwanted rec centres in towns where no one lives is just plain wrong. The state has done very well out of timber royalties, potato licences, tourism income and before that, dare I say it tobacco excise etc etc and to see something being done to revitalise and provide basic services that those in the metro area take for granted does, I think, put RFR on the plus side of the ledger for local communities.

RIO, jum, CPL likes this post.

goose said:

paraletic said:

buffy said:

buffy said:

Yer terrible idea putting money back into towns that havent had a cent spent on them in 30 years meanwhile generating billions in tax why look after them ever?  

hey if it worked out for you, props to you goose. My opinion wont change.
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    edited August 2016
    paraletic said:

buffy said:

Your dead wrong here Para.

Royalties has helped our town enormously. We have two big Coal mining companies here, that put absolutely FARRK all, back into our community. They pay next to no tax. They have stopped employing locals. And there mining less than a three minute drive from the town shire office.

Without Royalties we would have been given nothing from the government. We have a population of 8,000 in our town. We supply  you hob knob city folk with the majority of your power. But you expect us to get FARRK all out it

Ill have a stab in the dark here.?????  You live in Mt Pleasant ?????

:-w

Kkk likes this post.

jum said:

paraletic said:

buffy said:

Royalties has helped our town enormously. We have two big Coal mining companies here, that put absolutely FARRK all, back into our community. They pay next to no tax. They have stopped employing locals. And there mining less than a three minute drive from the town shire office.

Without Royalties we would have been given nothing from the government. We have a population of 8,000 in our town. We supply  you hob knob city folk with the majority of your power. But you expect us to get FARRK all out it

no i live in the inner eastern burbs.

RIO likes this post.

• FatCatFatCat    16 posts
    Racing has directly benefitted from Royalties for Regions. Without the boost to infrastructure funding clubs would be in an even worse position than they currently are. RWWA don't have anywhere near enough to fund infrastructure without government funds, so it has done some good even for city slickers who probably punt on regional racing, or have had runners outside of metro or whatever type of participation they have.

jum likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts

I'm really confident that Para wasn't referring to towns like yours Jumly. There have been excesses in some places that have been desperate to find something to spend some money on....And I'm not talking about towns with 8,000 people or even 1,000 people. I haven't seen but had bushies tell me of small towns getting new rec centres. By small I mean less than 500 people, that haven' had a population growth in many years.

I personally think that is exactly what the R for R was all about. Helping those who couldn't help themselves. But there was so much money to be spent that everyone got lots of stuff...some of it for no other reason but to spend the money that was in the kitty.

Anyway, all that aside. 1 person can not make that much difference in a state government, a local government or on any managing board.....he is openly attacking Colin, and although he may be a load mouthpiece, I doubt he will have any positive impact on the discussion of racing going forward. I have a sense that everyone feels a sale of the TAB will do nothing to stop the flow of debt that Col has burdened us all with

paraletic, thefalcon likes this post.

yes rio, if a town has a population of 8,000 then fair go its money well spent. But a lot of money had been wasted to satisfy R4R was my point. As I said above, my opinion will never change on the issue. We all get to vote in a few months time, everyone has an equal say in the matter. I will vote with what I think is right, what will benefit me etc. No PTT thread will change my mind.   

RIO likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    jum said:

paraletic said:

buffy said:

They pay no tax because they're not making any money.
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    edited August 2016

And what tax were they paying 10 years ago when they were making plenty of money Tivers.

There are plenty of reasons why they are not making money. And they only have themselves to blame. These companies got greedy and thought they new how to get the coal out of the ground Quicker and better. Bringing in all these uni graduates and bosses from over east to quicken production.  Getting Brown coal out of the ground and Black coal are TWO very different things. And Aren't they learning about that now

10/15 years ago these two Companies were making big dollars and not a cent went back into our town.  There was an uproar in our local paper last year, when it became knowledge that they would not even pay shire rates. Shire Rates for FARRK sake. So a local who's boundary fence that runs onto the mines stockpiles and lives further than the mine from the local shire office has too pay $2000 and put up with all the noise and no compensation.

And the mine gets away with paying our Town FARRK all.  

[-X    Nah I can,t cop that.

I will say. I agree with some of you, that a lot of Royalties money has been wasted, even here in my home town. 

But I think a lot of people miss the point. Who cares(obviously some on here) if facilities are built with populations lower than 1000 people. If schools and kids and families in these regions benefit, it has to be all good.

So Para and Rio, I'll pose this Question to you. Should all these small outback towns just pack up and move to the city.

Because they seem to be spending our money just brilliantly. Elizabeth Quay, Perth Arts Centre, New Stadium that in 10/15 years time will be out-dated and too small, They even farkked up the new hospital by getting in contractors with cheaper prices supplied from China.

My opinion is build facilities in regions and keep people there. Because at the moment I have 3 young kids aged between 18 months and 8 yrs old. I worry about there future and if I should  move to Perth for there future, because at the moment there is nothing here for them. It should not matter if you come from a population of 8000 or 500, The money should be shared around equally. AND BEFORE ROYALTIES FOR REGIONS IT WAS NOT.

goose likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    RIO said:

I'm really confident that Para wasn't referring to towns like yours Jumly. There have been excesses in some places that have been desperate to find something to spend some money on....And I'm not talking about towns with 8,000 people or even 1,000 people. I haven't seen but had bushies tell me of small towns getting new rec centres. By small I mean less than 500 people, that haven' had a population growth in many years.

I personally think that is exactly what the R for R was all about. Helping those who couldn't help themselves. But there was so much money to be spent that everyone got lots of stuff...some of it for no other reason but to spend the money that was in the kitty

Just re read this Rio, Sorry

RIO likes this post.

edited August 2016
    jum said:

So Para and Rio, I'll pose this Question to you. Should all these small outback towns just pack up and move to the city.

Not necessarily, its a choice. But if you want abundant education, hospital and other civil facilities then the option is to move into the city or stay in the outback town. I look at it on an overall approach and everything being proportional to population. So if 70% of the population lives in the city then 70% of the funds go there, and so on so forth. That's were the majority of the tax paying citizens are so that's where the majority of money needs to go. I care not to reply to this thread any longer, im not a politically motivated person and what I say may not be agreeable and im not in the business of upsetting anyone so I chose to move on from this topic.

RIO likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts

Fair Call Mate.

But also a majority of the dole bluggers live there too. The government need to stop FIFO. Companies need to develop towns like they used too. Pay there taxes to local councils. Encourage people to move and stay there.

At the moment These big companies are destroying local communities. Raping everything out of the ground then moving on somewhere else. leaving ghost towns like mine will be in 20 years.

We have massive holes in the ground which fill with water and are sensational ski lakes. The government will not give us the green light to put lodgings and other facilities on them to bring tourism and other income into our town.     WHY.   Because they get nothing out of it.

I will also move on from this topic. Unless someone gets me going again.

:-j  :))

RIO, goose, paraletic likes this post.

Seriously.The govt give a contract to a main contractor. That main contractor then sub contracts sections of the job to various sub contractors. One of those subbies got ceiling panels from China.Drawing a long bow to blame the GOVT getting in contractors with cheaper prices supplied from China
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

Maybe drawing a long bow Buffy, but.

The Main Contractor with the cheapest price. You think the main contractor will be sued and foot the bill. The  more expensive contractors would have used better products. And I think you will find, the Asbestos isn't just in ceiling panels.

What is the point in building a Major hospital with the cheapest contractor when the joint needs re building in 15/20 years. Spend the money correctly and build something that will last generations and in the correct location.

Quick question. How many years until they rip down the Convention and Exhibition centre