G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 25 Non Members

Which Stallion/s are PTT's Breeding with this season?

Breeding
With the in the arrival a number of new stallions to WA, All American and Foreplay at Geisel Park, I'm All The Talk at Mungrup, Yarradale with Bradburys Luck are any of PTT's breeders supporting the new arrivals.

This season seems quite difficult as some current stallions have preformed well, Demerit, War Chant, Universal Ruler, Patronize and Blackfriars of course. Oratorio is always a steady producer, Alfred Nobel and Dick Turpin are also around. Chelsea has also mentioned Maschino and Snippetson in his second term in WA

I have missed out quite a few but the list would never end.

Who is your stallion this season?

Comments

• silkysilky    342 posts
    Was thinking about going to Sessions this season. What are peoples thoughts on him? Has anyone got a mare in foal to him?

MinesACorona likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    I have booked in three today on behalf of a new client. Rogano, Blackfriars and Trade Fair all got one each.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Blackfriars.......but his stable mate in Snippetson is a real good looking sort.

We have got 2 ripper Planet Five yearlings and he has got a few winners over the line from the last lot that went out, so may go back next year.

But Blackfriars whilst he is still going and Ouqba, as he suits my mare very well for this season

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Anyone rate Dash 4 Cash?
  • MinesACoronaMinesACorona    184 posts
    Have been a fan of Dash for Cash i have previously sent a mare to him,  have a nice 2yo filly waiting to be named.

paraletic likes this post.

• goosegoose    1,628 posts
    What is the go with Dick Turpin? are there any good ones in the pipeline would have thought he would have got some winners by now?
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    he's got a few hasn't he?? We are involved in a very nice looking unit, that will be on the track in a couple of months as a 3yr old..too big to push too hard early..Very promising type

Chelsea likes this post.

I mean a real good one thought one might appear over winter?

RIO likes this post.

• silkysilky    342 posts
    goose said:

What is the go with Dick Turpin? are there any good ones in the pipeline would have thought he would have got some winners by now?

I was wondering the same. He's had very few runners so far from what i can see, given the amount of mares he has covered. My mare had a DT colt a few days ago so I'm looking forward to seeing a few more hit the track over the next 6 months
    Personally I think the best of the DT will be 3yo and older. Some very strong big units amongst them.

RIO, goose, Chelsea likes this post.

He just arrived back from the UK. Worldwide he has had 53 runners for 10 individual winners at an average of 18.9%. He seems to be throwing wet and heavy track runners. The majority of his winners have come in England. Two of his individual winners have come at distances over 2000M or more, the majority being younger horses are at 1000 - 1200M. He is yet to have a black type winner.

At less than 35% any Stallion is going to have a very slow start. By comparison, Demerit with 18 individual winners is at 42.9% winners to runners.

I like him as a type, but shuttle stallions rarely click here like colonial bred stallions do. So I would want to see a significant upward trend in success for Dick Turpin in this coming season as I think he can make it, but like a lot of others, he lives and dies by his results in the ring and on the track.
  • CPLCPL    632 posts
    edited August 2016
    I really like Sessions.
    Damien can you throw up some stats of the best breed to race stallions standing in WA please?
    So just disregard sales ring success altogether ? Give me half a day or so.
    So if I was breeding simply to retain and race myself, then I would hope that the following list of the top 15 performers currently standing in the State, would be enough for me to choose one of them. First crop I have tried to avoid, obviously several young stallions don't have runners yet, so they too have not been mentioned. But other than that, if you're not mentioned, then you're not good enough.

Blackfriars 326 winners, 57.4% winners to runners, 33 stakes winners

Snippetson 306, 62.4, 11

Bradbury's Luck 187, 66.5, 7

War Chant 95, 49.7, 15

Dash For Cash 337, 64.1, 8

Trade Fair 178, 59.7, 10

Viscount 285, 57.2, 11

Oratorio 189, 55.4, 11

Foreplay 104, 61.5, 4

Kendel Star 76, 55.5, 5

Econsul 83, 56.1, 3

Danehill Express 116, 50.4, 5

Eternity Range 76, 53.1, 5

Due Sasso 92, 52.6, 2

Patronize 34, 58.6, 0

War Chant has the best conversion of race winners into black type performers, but his percentage of winners to runners is not overly impressive. A Stallion needs to convert winners to runners at greater than 60% if you want to see a return on your outlay, irrespective of the service fee.

Foreplay is the opposite though, he has a good ratio of winners to runners, but not of quality with just 4 stakes winners. Bradbury's Luck, Dash For Cash and Snippetson fall into that category as well.

The surprise for me is that Trade Fair has turned out to be a good find for WA.

But Blackfriars is the king of the hill. His retirement, whenever it happens, will leave a massive hole in WA breeding. Trade Fair is the logical successor, but nothing else on this list or those that didn't make it will fill that void.

So I hope it is one of the new boys with crops about to debut in coming seasons. We should really be collectively shopping for another stallion prospect though.
  • CPLCPL    632 posts
    Demerit?
    CPL said:

Demerit?

He has only had two crops to race, so I left him out. But he is at 42.9% winners to runners having had 18 winners but no black type yet. He needs to continue with 3yo and 4yo winners.

I think he is very sharp at this early stage, and I know that some Trainers have reasonable stock for the upcoming season. His big problem will be a lack of runners over  the next two seasons having had well documented issues that were out of his control.
  • JordanJordan    1,827 posts
    Cant find a spot for Universal Ruler hahahaha your good Damo

Winsumlosesum likes this post.

• OhsomodestOhsomodest    67 posts
    Damien, do your figures suggest War Chant has had 15 stakes winners in Oz? Seems too high. I can only find Silent Sedition and Chantski.

If you're looking at his record across the globe, then going by last year's MM booklet suggests he's had 574 runners for 388 winners and 33 stakes winner.
    Is that all time runners Damien?

edited August 2016

Damien, do your figures suggest War Chant has had 15 stakes winners in Oz? Seems too high. I can only find Silent Sedition and Chantski.

If you're looking at his record across the globe, then going by last year's MM booklet suggests he's had 574 runners for 388 winners and 33 stakes winner.

I will try and find out, I took the numbers off racingandsport.com.au and something is not quite right with those numbers.. They are supposed to be global. The Studbook has different numbers again.
    Jordan said:

Cant find a spot for Universal Ruler hahahaha your good Damo

Well I only ranked the top 15 in the State, that's why he doesn't have a 'spot'.

But his numbers are 31 winners at a rate of 44.9% with 2 stakes winners.
    CPL said:

I really like Sessions.
    Damien can you throw up some stats of the best breed to race stallions standing in WA please?

The one thing I would suggest about Sessions, as it was a linked question from a couple of people, is please don't assume that because of the success of Demerit this past season, that Sessions will automatically enjoy the same. They have very different dam lines and mares that match well to one don't necessarily match well with the other. In fact I get asked this a lot by people. If two Stallions are by the same Sire, then surely they must produce similar results. But this is just not the case.

I haven't looked over the fence at Sessions yet, Neville tells me he is a super specimen that will impress. If opportunity presents itself I will be going down there for a look, and I might even take the camera.

CPL likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    probably sending three to bradbury's luck this year, including La Lollobrigida, the dam of Falcon Crest. While Musket was a bit of a failure, i think our mare appreciated the stamina he brought. 
    Hopefully bradbury's luck, also a redoutes choice sire, can bring the mile to its progeny aswell.

The other im sending to pantronize, who i think is a good bread and butter sire. 
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Hope Dick Turpin does come good as he seemed a very clever pick along the Cheraw and Metal Storm lines the are still some sons of Kenmare firing in europe not sure why someone else doesnt try one? Kenamix was one I read about of to a good start.
    As I have said before I think we will see the best of Dick Tupin with his older progeny.
    There is quite a bit of depth in WA this season, on the weekend I had the opportunity to visit a few studs.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    I think the same of P5 MinesA, but he has got a few to run as 2yr olds. Which has been a bonus. Haven't seen a skinny squib out of either stallion, which generally means they need a little bit longer to get going.
    Will be interesting to see how Ouqba goes this 2yr old season. Well it'll be interesting for me anyway!!!

I agree with that on P5 Rio, some lovely types much like the DT's they will be better 3yo+

I did have a look at Trade Fair, Maschino, All American and Foreplay on the weekend. All of which looked fantastic.

Think of the fun to be had naming the progeny of a Dick Turpin mare and Foreplay :))

RIO, Natasha likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    I saw All American when he was straight off the track and looked like a race horse. Has he bulked up at all?? Then again you said he looked great so that probably answers it with a yes!!!

Yep could of had a lot of fun with our DT, but a spoil sport came up with a "nice" name pffft...haha Just turned 3, is close to 17hands and as soon as he trims up a bit we are hopeful of adding to DT's reputation.

Trade Fair, is a great sire too. We have enough for the size of our industry and the prices are right. Our sires and our racing can support up to $10k serves, with $3-7k where the majority should be...and i think that is realistic, and the stallion owners are currently being realistic. What they have done by improving their mares was long overdue and the biggest improvement to local stock that could happen. Irrespective of the bull.

If my opinion is worth anything then in my opinion i think the balance of breeding options and bulls is about right for our industry now. And there have been steady improvement with our bred for sale stock due to mare upgrades over the past 3 or 4 seasons...

Sorry, nice night for a waffle. On a sadder note we lost both our foals this year. Different farms, different scenarios, but disappointing. Both got free returns, but throws our plans well out of whack for the next few years.

Okay waffle over, the fire needs another log!!!