In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 43 Non Members

Ascot Preview, 29th Oct 2016

West Australian Racing
PerthTurfTalkPerthTurfTalk    3,054 posts
edited October 2016 West Australian Racing
R1. Heineken Plate - Scott Embry

Golden Trigger could not have been any more impressive on debut after a very encouraging trial performance leading into his maiden run. Sitting three deep working throughout he put the leaders to the sword but was left a sitting duck for Simon Miller's sharp juvenile Seannie. They broke away from the field and gapped the rest. He is drawn very awkwardly in barrier 12 here but if he can find some cover three wide will be tough at the finish. Ibiza was ultra sharp in a 400m barrier trial winning in 24 seconds under a hold. Can shoot across from barrier 10 to sit outside the likely leader in Time and Truth who will almost certainly kick up along the rail to hold him out. Love a 2 year old on speed to Ibiza is the danger. Hard of Heart trialled well and should enjoy a pretty economical run midfield. My Demi trialled well but with blinkers, racing without them is a concern.

1. GOLDEN TRIGGER - 9. IBIZA - 3. HARD OF HEART

Comments

• PerthTurfTalkPerthTurfTalk    3,054 posts
    edited October 2016
    R2. J.j. Richards & Sons Plate - Scott Embry

Short and Sweet' is not my tinder profile but a headline for J.J Richards & Son's Plate where Durrant & Miller trained filly Sweet Ora looks as though she will make it 5 wins from 8 starts. The smaller field suits after she savaged the line at Bunbury behind I am Boudica, Saul's Special, The River and now Humanity who looks as though he will win his fair share of races at a mile and beyond. Atacama Sky came from that same race and with the anticipated speed of Miss Somebody from gate 8 and Diamond Princess from gate 9 I am quietly confident Atacama Sky will land the 1 out and 1 back position in running. From there he is the danger to Sweet Ora. Miss Somebody accounted for subsequent winner Karlakee Miss and Belgravia Stakes runner Royal Command. She leads and runs well.

1. SWEET ORA - 3. ATACAMA SKY - 9. MISS SOMEBODY
    edited October 2016
    R3. Champion Fillies Day - Nov 12 Handicap - Scott Embry

I simply can not believe I am that bloke tipping Pounamu. He is a sack job, a non-winning, wallet-burning, milk drinking cat BUT I think this race is his for the taking. I sacked him a long time ago and simply cannot believe that I have him on top, however, this is the kind of race Pounamu can win. If he is allowed to settle back and cruise along he has a powerful turn of foot late. I think that Flying Roar will be held back to the field at his first start beyond 1500m and with Scales of Justice likely forced to sit outside him it will turn into a sit and sprint. IF and it's a big if, Pounamu can get clear running on straightening he has the sharpest turn of acceleration. Scales of Justice is equally wallet-burning at the minute and Star Exhibit was very flat first-up. Kia Ora Koutou is an unknown and Flying Roar is tested at a mile. There's enough question marks on this field to justify tipping Pounamu, even though it is POUNAMU!

7. POUNAMU - 4. SCALES OF JUSTICE - 3. STAR EXHIBIT

SUGGESTED BET - 7. POUNAMU $50 x $50

rustyh likes this post.

edited October 2016
    R4. Schweppes Handicap - Scott Embry

Finally we get to see Forever Diamonds step up to 1500m a distance which looks as though it will suit her down to the ground. She will settle last of the 10 runners and then unleash her powerful finish from the home corner. If they are making any ground on the leaders then she will be incredibly hard to hold out. Looked tested last start at Bunbury going from 1300m back to 1200m but this step up looks perfect. One from the other end of the spectrum is All Too Much who had his first test at 1800m last start and drops back to a much more suitable 1500m. If he can find the front for noted front running hoop Aaron Mitchell he will be hard to get past. Someday One Day drops back from 1675 to 1500 and I think the Prying Tom form will hold up. It has already produced a Saturday winner in The Forgotten One.

3. FOREVER DIAMONDS - 2. ALL TOO MUCH - 9. SOMEDAY ONE DAY

SUGGESTED BET - 3. FOREVER DIAMONDS $100
    edited October 2016
    R5. Kirin Megumi Handicap - Scott Embry

The State Solicitor - Let It Slip Exacta is what I will be looking to play in this race. State Solicitor has won 4 of his 5 career starts to date and in many opinions represents the best WA hope in the 2016 Winterbottom Stakes, he is currently $10 in All-In Markets behind 4 Eastern States Raiders. Excited to see him return and hopefully give rivals a galloping exhibition first-up from a short freshen up. Let It Slip should get every possible chance from barrier 1 and when saved up she has a very, very sharp turn of foot so if Noske can get her clear running room late she can charge into second. Gigante carries the grandstand on his back but last start effort behind Cool Passion was excellent when held up and knocked around at crucial stages. Flytego is an Ascot horse, plain and simple.

8. STATE SOLICITOR - 7. LET IT SLIP - 1. GIGANTE

SUGGESTED BET - 8. STATE SOLICITOR $100
    edited October 2016
    R6. Prince Of Wales Stakes - Scott Embry

This edition of the Prince of Wales stakes is very interesting because it will be run at 1000m. Cool Passion drawn very awkwardly in barrier 11 so I think we can expect Harvey to attempt to find cover three wide and if not then gradually ease into the race three wide from the 600m and slide forward slowly. Vega Magic is a speedy type over 1200m but over the 1000m short course I am certainly not convinced that he will find the front comfortably. They look the two on paper with a number of horses like Battle Hero looking as though they will find the 1000m a bit sharp I have isolated Travinator as the one who I think can run a big race at ridiculous odds. The veteran of the field hasn't won for a long time but his last start effort behind Cool Passion at 1100m really caught my eye and dropping back to his pet distance of 1000m at Ascot from a gun barrier I think is worthy of a places investment. 50-1 is overs in my eyes and you can be sure I'll have a bit on him.

9. COOL PASSION - 5. VEGA MAGIC - 4. TRAVINATOR

rustyh likes this post.

edited October 2016
    R7. Seacorp-asian Beau Stakes - Scott Embry

The 2016 Asian Beau Stakes looks as though it will go the to Cerise and White Juggernaut of Bob and Sandra Peters with gallopers Heart Starter, Neverland and Ideal Image looking on paper to be the ones to beat. In between those we have Guineas winner in Great Shot who should find the front fairly comfortably. I've settled on Heart Starter, partially because of the Pike factor but also because of how well Chocolate Holic went in the Northam Cup on Sunday, stamping himself as a potential Railway and Kingston Town proposition. Heart Starter dug deep to fend him off and while I am sure he is suited over further the 54kg is definitely in his favour. Neverland loves Ascot, loves 1400m and her run first-up in the Birthday Stakes was full of merit. Ideal Image is drawn awkwardly so is the Peters representative that I have left out of the trifecta in favour of Great Shot.

7. HEART STARTER - 4. NEVERLAND - 6. GREAT SHOT

SUGGESTED BET - 7. HEART STARTER $50 x $50

rustyh likes this post.

edited October 2016
    R8. Stone Motherless After The Races Handicap - Scott Embry

There are a lot of fairly evenly graded gallopers in the last and for most punters it will be a case of 'when in doubt, back Pike'. Really hoping that by this stage of the day it has been announced officially that Real Love will be a starter in the Melbourne Cup so that we are guaranteed to see our man W.Pike riding at Flemington in the race that stops a nation. No doubt all of Western Australia will be aboard the Pike train at Flemington with many looking to the great man in the last for a winner. Brakets isn't the easiest horse to catch but should get a soft run from barrier 1. Speeding Comet was no match for the Listed gallopers of the Bunbury Classic, however, that form line is stronger than many of these have ever contested. 3 year old against the older horses can measure up. Candlelight Star was impressive first-up at 1000m and will be much better suited at this trip. Make sure you include Red Publisher in your quaddies!

3. BRACKETS - 14. SPEEDING COMET - 11. CANDLELIGHT STAR
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    lay of the day Vega Magic.....fill your bag PUNTA..wish it was legal to ask to put me in for 5k...

Jordan likes this post.

jum dislikes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    And what will beat it Falc
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Battle hero....maybe

dungy, Rex likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    Plenty of rain headed Ascot's way... been bucketing down in North Perth all morning. 
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    thefalcon said:

lay of the day Vega Magic.....fill your bag PUNTA..wish it was legal to ask to put me in for 5k...

Do you have 5 large up front? Open up a betfair account...

I wouldn't think the bookies or just one alone would hold 5k worth of bets on a horse of in that type of race
    i'm less than 1k from u diva and have had very little.... :-??

jum, these could beat it....rock magic, FAE, cool passion, volkoff and maybe a few more.

don't forget it is WFA.

Jordan likes this post.

• GrayGray    4,090 posts
    Blackbook Kia Ora Koutou
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    hello perth racing...is there a result for race 3???

• GaryHGaryH    1,012 posts
    RIO said:

hello perth racing...is there a result for race 3???

Are you at the track?  If not, then its RWWA you need to yell at @RIO :)
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    thefalcon said:

Well done.

Jordan likes this post.

Kiwitrotsguy dislikes this post.

• GrayGray    4,090 posts
    vega Magic a certainty beaten , ran next to last but your only as good as the jockey I spose

Winsumlosesum, The_Bull, Kiwitrotsguy, jum likes this post.

• The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    Kennedy must get time for that.

brady likes this post.

Rodent said:

thefalcon said:

Well done.

Sportsbet offered $1.45 for "The Field" to beat Vega Magic, it wasn't much but never in doubt =D> thefalcon
    that got rid of the lay..now the best bet....Transgressor, race#8.

Notapuntas likes this post.

hash said:

Rodent said:

thefalcon said:

Well done.

Sportsbet offered $1.45 for "The Field" to beat Vega Magic, it wasn't much but never in doubt =D> thefalcon
    That's the equivalent of laying it at better than $3. You could lay it at $2.60 on betfair.
    Bit hard when you don't have funds available...

Usually in that situation I wouldn't lay anything on betfair, instead just back the horses I thought only had a chance to win... And hope an absolute roughie doesn't blow you out
    hash said:

Bit hard when you don't have funds available...

Usually in that situation I wouldn't lay anything on betfair, instead just back the horses I thought only had a chance to win... And hope an absolute roughie doesn't blow you out

Just highlighting that it was a better bet than the Sportsbet offer you quoted.

hash likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    Just a small investment on Respondent at $101 for the Railway, and I see the odds have now been slashed to $26.00 following today's run.
    mate, at WFA was always going to be a huge risk....

Jordan likes this post.

• The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    edited October 2016
    The_Bull said:

Kennedy must get time for that.

24 days. It was very careless and almost deserved more. Imo lucky to not put the favorite on the deck.
    anybody seen Tuesdays fields...would not be out of place at moora....... ~X(

dungy, Yankee likes this post.

• bradybrady    1,452 posts
    A.K
    Should have got 6 months

The_Bull likes this post.