G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 27 Non Members

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited March 2017
    Give Toodyay more than one meeting per year! That pretty little track could have been a real showpiece. Broaden the picture to a wider public.
  • careycarey    6,368 posts
    graphs poorly presented, need proper labelling.

but what really had me laughing was on page 18.....

Provide sectional timing system at all metropolitan and provincial race meetings

....seriously?
    there is less now than there was years ago, well there was the last time i checked anyways.

one thing they are good at is talk.....action is of course something else.

and their consultation pow wows had me laughing too.

this one from may 2016........

WARTA noted that a contributing factor to the decline in numbers was the increase in minimum weight to 54kg, with the spread of weight to the top weight not large enough.
    RWWA agreed, however noted that a local rule could not be introduced that was repugnant to the National Rules of Racing and unfortunately the minimum weight is a national rule. WA, including the WAJA, were the only participants opposed to the increase when first sanctioned.

...of course they are full of it.
    national rules of racing, my ****.
    why don't you geniuses have a look at how often you needlessly have limits above 54kg.
    all the friggen time is how often.
    not only would you get more spread if the numbnuts had the 54 whenever possible, it would also be fairer to any ooth horses that won.

yabba yabba yabba.....that's what they are good at!!

• BucksBucks    158 posts
    I would suggest having an off season i.e. no racing in WA for a couple of months similar to the short break between the EPL or NBA seasons. Maybe this could be in the middle of winter. 

Less races would mean you would get bigger feild sizes, create more interest with the start of each racing season and reduce operating costs for clubs that currently run all year round. You could consolidate more of the listed races together to have more carnival days and use the prize money that would have been distributed during that time to boost prize money across the board.

You would also give the people in the industry some much needed time off.

lame likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    The prize money "that would have been distributed" during that period won't exist because the place is closed (no turnover).

And although people in the industry do in deed need time off, they also need cash flow to pay bills.

spinking, jum, Tucool, RIO likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Don't think the trainers,jockeys ,stablehands , farriers ,race day staff nor the punters would be down with that Bucks
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts

Im saving a copy of the document, I will assess it in 12month, 24 months and 5 years down the track to see how many of the points listed in pages 16-21 were even done.......

My guess is 10% of what is listed will be looked at - the rest is just a yarn.

Thunderstruck, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• BucksBucks    158 posts
    The idea behind reducing the amount of meetings would be to try and boost the public interest/ turn over on the days that you do have meetings. More stakes races on the one the one card makes for more turnover.

In reality a trainer, jockey, farrier, stablehand would probably only get a couple of weeks off before horses start getting back into work for the opening day of the new season. Just a thought anyway
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Then reduce the number of races / meetings yes.
    Just not in one two month block outright is all.
  • TheFunksterTheFunkster    3,840 posts
    Vision is to become the No 2 sport behind AFL......LMFAO!
    Need to be able to walk before you can run...

RIO likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    ....or crawl, funk.....

RIO, The_Husson likes this post.

• lamelame    1,757 posts
    Anyone seen a release from RWWA regarding this release from Tabcorp today ???

M E D I A R E L E A S E
    9 March 2017
    Tabcorp notes ACCC announcement
    Tabcorp Holdings Limited (‘Tabcorp’) notes the Statement of Issues (‘SOI’) released today by the ACCC in
    relation to the proposed combination of Tabcorp and Tatts Group Limited (‘Tatts’) (the ‘Transaction’).
    The SOI represents the preliminary views of the ACCC in relation to the proposed Transaction and is not a final
    decision.
    Tabcorp believes it is well advanced in addressing the issues identified in the SOI.
    The ACCC has raised one substantial issue of concern, which is in relation to electronic gaming machine
    monitoring services and repair and maintenance services in Queensland. To address this issue, Tabcorp has
    committed to divest its Odyssey Gaming Services business and is well advanced with a sale process. Any sale of
    the Odyssey business is subject to the receipt of ACCC and other approvals and will be subject to the
    Transaction completing.
    The ACCC has identified several other issues which may raise concerns. Tabcorp has made detailed
    submissions to the ACCC which it believes addresses these issues. One of these issues relates to the removal of
    potential supplier of totalisator pooling services. To address this issue, Tabcorp has recently reached agreement
    with Racing and Wagering Western Australia on the terms upon which Tabcorp will continue to provide pooling
    services in Western Australia into the future.
    The ACCC has also identified several issues which are unlikely to raise concerns.
    Tabcorp believes that the proposed combination with Tatts will deliver value for both sets of shareholders, as well
    as significant benefits to other stakeholders across Australia including the racing industry, venue partners,
    customers and Governments.
    The benefits expected to flow from the proposed combination with Tatts include:
     providing a national footprint with an enhanced operational platform which will create a stronger financial
    base to support its stakeholders;
     delivering additional funding to the racing industry and venue partners, which will flow to participants and
    related industries across Australia. This additional funding will create broader economic benefits,
    including in regional areas; and
     a pathway to national pooling for parimutuel wagering, subject to regulatory and racing industry approvals
    and an enhanced ability to adopt strategies to address the national decline in parimutuel betting.
    Since it lodged its informal clearance application with the ACCC in November, Tabcorp has worked closely with
    the ACCC to assist it with its inquiries, including providing significant information to the ACCC. Tabcorp has also
    actively engaged with its stakeholders since the announcement of the Transaction.
    Tabcorp will continue to review the SOI and assess its options to maximise the prospects of receiving competition
    approval for the Transaction.
    For more information:
    Media: Nicholas Tzaferis, GM Corporate Affairs, 03 9868 2529
    Financial analysts: Lachlan Fitt, GM Investor Relations and Strategy, 02 9218 1414
    Specifically

One of these issues relates to the removal of
    potential supplier of totalisator pooling services. To address this issue, Tabcorp has recently reached agreement
    with Racing and Wagering Western Australia on the terms upon which Tabcorp will continue to provide pooling
    services in Western Australia into the future.

• Bucks said:

I would suggest having an off season i.e. no racing in WA for a couple of months similar to the short break between the EPL or NBA seasons. Maybe this could be in the middle of winter. 

Less races would mean you would get bigger feild sizes, create more interest with the start of each racing season and reduce operating costs for clubs that currently run all year round. You could consolidate more of the listed races together to have more carnival days and use the prize money that would have been distributed during that time to boost prize money across the board.

And what would happen to the people who rely on the industry as their main source of income?
    Bucks said:

You've got your finger on the pulse FM with most things you in PR for RWWA?
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    Nah mate, just like to be informed.

lame, RIO likes this post.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts

Give Toodyay more than one meeting per year! That pretty little track could have been a real showpiece.

I agree Rider.

I had a look at it just prior to Christmas. Rusty old fridges and other rubbish at the side of the home straight didn't enhance the image of the place. Do they still play golf there? It didn't look like it.

A great little track with a superb backdrop and a unique racecourse personality. Tidy it up and yes allocate it more than the once a year gig.
  • whipitgoodwhipitgood    10 posts
    interesting times ahead for racing. i would assume it's not going to be all roses either. if they want to be second to afl, rationalisation and consolidation will be needed, just like the afl did. then it gets political. like i said interesting times ahead
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    oh Yeah, give the money back to Perth Racing?????? HAHAHAHAHA or better still, start to argue among ourselves when we finally have got a State Government that is listening... Is it any wonder that we are falling apart at the seams!!!!!

Wish he had named the clubs!!!

Funding boost for WA’s biggest horse racing festival

Thursday, 24 August 2017

• State Government to sponsor Perth Racing's 2017 TABtouch Masters series
    • World's first single track horse racing festival to offer three Group One races for at least $1 million each in prize money
    • WA's biggest annual racing festival featuring total prize pool of $5.2 million
    • Tourism and racing industries vital for Western Australian jobs  

The
    McGowan Government has delivered its election commitment to provide
    $200,000 for Western Australia's biggest annual racing festival, the
    2017 TABtouch Masters series.

The event is the world's
    only single-track thoroughbred racing festival featuring a Group One
    race worth at least $1 million on three consecutive Saturdays.

The
    TABtouch Masters series, held on November 25 and December 2 and 9 at
    Ascot Racecourse, includes the Railway Stakes, Winterbottom Stakes and
    the Kingston Town Classic. The total prize pool for the series is $5.2
    million.

State Government funding, through Tourism WA,
    will go towards attracting renowned Australian and international
    thoroughbreds to Perth to raise the festival's profile and increase
    attendance.

In addition, it will help to market the event nationally and internationally including the promotion of travel packages.

Tourism Minister Paul Papalia will launch the packages in Singapore, a key tourist market, next week.

Comments attributed to Premier Mark McGowan:

"The
    McGowan Government is pleased to deliver its election commitment to
    sponsor the TABtouch Masters series, which will help attract visitors to
    Western Australia.

"Tourism is a key pillar of the State
    Government's plan to diversify the economy and create jobs. In fact, it
    contributed $10 billion in visitor spend last year and generates about
    109,000 jobs."

Comments attributed to Tourism and Racing and Gaming Minister Paul Papalia:

"Hosting
    events is a vital component of driving visitation to Western Australia,
    as events not only add vibrancy but also provide a boost to the local
    economy and promote the destination through media exposure.

"The
    TABtouch Masters series will also help showcase Perth's significant
    transformation to visitors, including its new public spaces, hotels,
    restaurants and bars.

"The State Government has been
    working hard to get the message out there that Perth is no longer
    expensive and that there are plenty of quality accommodation options to
    choose from."  

Premier's office - 6552 5000

Tourism and Racing and Gaming Minister's office - 6552 5600.

RIO, spinking likes this post.

great news and excellent outcome. About time the Govt offered their support via a sponsorship. Whoever did the work to lobby the govt to get the funds - take my hat off to you. Its a painstaking process. 

RIO, spinking likes this post.

edited August 2017
    funny, if this was  negative commentary people will be lining up off the extra long run up wanting to sink the boot in. Finally some good news, and all that can be heard is crickets. 

JayJay, Winsumlosesum, Gilgamesh likes this post.

edited August 2017
    Not sure about good news para.

$200k spend on tourism.

Thought the radio interview was 10 mins of nothing.

Handballing the sale of the TAB back to industry but no commitment to where the proceeds of the sale will go.

Continuing with the highest rate of wagering tax in Australia.

No funding for infrastructure.

To put it into perspective, (been reported) combined RWWA  and PR loss of $14m last financial year and required infrastructure list valued at $150m, not sure $200k does a lot.

No knock on the $200k but Racing needs someone to make some major decisions, if that interview is any indication its unlikely it will be McGowan or the Labor government.

Sounds like hes happy to take the $40m direct tax they receive from racing and continue with the status quo.

RIO likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    i can see Mcgowans honeymoon period over on a number of fronts.
    the present man is not the man we saw before the election....intrinsic labour values...and the unions have or will get him....and we will see an entirely different human being.
  • careycarey    6,368 posts
    falcon don't start please!!
    if i want politics i go to politics forum.

if you want to say labor is **** for racing then that's fine i guess, especially if it was true(don''t know)

but that's not what the above is saying.
    next time you go politics you and me are going to start arguing!!!
    promise.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    As is the case most times, i agree with your read on things 100% FM...the $200k is more than we have received direct from successive governments(from memory) and it will be a help. But unless ti is the thin edge of the wedge for independent financial support, it is of minimal benefit.

Lets hope that the carnival grows on the back of last year and the Government sees a nice return for the extra funding. If that happens then just maybe we can get some hard funding packages that puts us back on the track to maintain what we have.

I just hope the industry is finally seeing that 1 metro track done properly is far better than 2 done poorly....The AFL games grounds model is a great success for that sport

paraletic, Thunderstruck likes this post.

• buffybuffy    273 posts
    Hadnt done much homework Mr McGOWAN. Twice he said that this money would go towards promoting your carnival in October and November. Wrong. It is in November and December As per usual the pollies dont really give a fk about Racing, only about votes.