G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 22 Non Members
SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts

Ben Currie - Trainer

Ben Currie was born to be a successful trainer. Father Mark Currie still trains with Ben as part of Currie Racing, while his mum Donna Currie is sister of successful current trainers Michael & Paul Nolan. While completing a communications degree, Ben worked with leading QLD trainer Tony Gollan, as well as helping his dad. A mix of experienced, old fashioned horsemanship with a young, fresh outlook on modern training methods have shaped the trainer he is today.

Ben tasted success very early in his career when Rothera won a group 3 race at Caulfield on Cup Day 2012. The winners have continued to role through the Currie Racing Stable, winning the Queensland Provincial Training Premiership for season 2013-14. Currently striking at around 15% Win and 43% place, Ben is building a formidable record by placing his horses in the best possible races to win.

http://victorythoroughbreds.com.au/about-us

This year he's running even hotter!! 21.1% winners & 49.5% place getters.

And the fish are getting bigger! 3 listed winners and today, Group 3 success with Col n' Lil in The Lord Mayors Cup at Eagle Farm.

So pleased to have Invitto and Novative in the Currie stable.

Surely, the future training superstar title is now a goal for young Ben Currie. A nice bloke going places  

He's dead set, a chance to train the card tonight at Clfford Park. :)]

B-) 
+1 -1

hash likes this post.

Comments

• SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts

Maranetta

Wins today, a Class 1 at Gatton, $6.5k for the win, on top of the $7.8k maiden win at Toowoomba 2 weeks earlier. The first run for Ben was the first week of May, when the 3yo Testa Rossa filly ran a 3 length 5th.

Prior to heading to Clifford Park she was housed with Henry Dwyer in Melbourne. Her 5 runs there were, to say the least... bad!

https://www.racenet.com.au/horse/maranetta

The stable would have picked this girl up for a song. The stable is very astute at picking up tried horses out of NSW and Vic for very competitive prices.

Wanna own a winner? Call Ben is my advice ... or Shane at Victory

:)]
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    I get an email every sat from victory thoroughbreds (Shane). Funny thing is I don't remember subscribing to anything with them??? But if youre saying they know what they are doing I will look on with interest.

Jeff Lloyd riding 3 for the stable at Toowoomba on Friday. Llloydy doesn't ride too often at the hill!

( 9 rides in the last 12 months there for 2 winners and a 3rd)

Ridining against Invitto (Baylee riding for us) on Saipan... a tough horse, but 63kg!!! Invitto!!

B-)
    edited July 2017
    Absolutely on fire lately (and keeping me in the black!)
    Has some winners ahead at Toowoomba today!

Our big fella Novative is 1st up after his spell. The 1300m is way too short for him and he only plodded in his recent trial. Hope to see him running on strong in the straight though and could be a sneaky place chance on the soft going.
    And there's the 1st one for the day!

100th winner for the stable this season.

Loved the Sky commentator - "Tipsters are going out of business, you just have to back Ben Currie & you win!"

B-) :-bd

oldhendo likes this post.

• troopertrooper    681 posts
    Ive backed 2 ben currie horses in last few weeks. Both missed the kick massively. 1 few weeks back or last week and then one golden day. Not for me anymore thats it
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    trooper said:

Ive backed 2 ben currie horses in last few weeks. Both missed the kick massively. 1 few weeks back or last week and then one golden day. Not for me anymore thats it

Not sure its a good idea to take a set against trainers with over a 20% strike rate.
  • troopertrooper    681 posts
    Haha it just happened to be i reckon the only 2 ive ever backed of his missed massively maybe its my bad luck.. ill take your stats on board but im not jumping off the couch to bet at Toowoomba so im sure ill live
    3 winners and a 2nd out of the 1st 5 races.

oldhendo likes this post.

• JellJell    1,201 posts
    Johnhro was a first starter for the stable yesterday and saluted carrying 60kg as well.

Victory Thoroughbreds sends out a tipping sheet most weekends now which seems to be doing alright. I haven't back anything off it but from a quick glance you'd be up a couple of quid.

Also gives you a fair idea of how their runners will go on the day. Do yourself a favour and sign up to it if you haven't already.

SKIDS likes this post.

Another treble at Toowoomba for the Curries yesterday. :>

Voodoo likes this post.

• VoodooVoodoo    1,234 posts
    You should be on the payrole Skids.....doing a sterling job promoting....

cheers
    Voodoo said:

You should be on the payrole Skids.....doing a sterling job promoting....

cheers

:D

Just happy with the returns Voodoo

Taking a team to Doomben on Saturday (our boy Novative one of them, we'll be happy if he runs in the first half of the field over the mile) and all at good odds.

Saipan in Race 3 at 15/1 is a pretty sharp horse, I'll be having a little each way on him.

Real Mystique in Race 6 at 11/2 can make it 3 wins in a row.

• VoodooVoodoo    1,234 posts
    Onya mate....keep up the good work.

cheers

SKIDS likes this post.

A winner, a 2nd & three 3rds from 5 runners at Gatton today.

A 2nd at Ballina from the single runner.

6 starters at Doomben tomorrow for the stable along with 2 at Beaudesert & 1 at Roma.

Geez there's a lot of meets in Qld! 6 in all tomorrow.
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

He has the Favourite in every race today at Toowoomba

Big chance to train the card

First 2 in.
    5 from 6 and a 2nd with one to go.
    And that makes it 6 B-)

oldhendo, Voodoo, jum likes this post.

A record at a provincial meeting.

Well done Currie racing!

hash likes this post.

Interesting to see how the team performs at Doomben tomorrow.
    The most I've seen Ben take to a Saturday meet.
    And then most are scratched :))

I've stuck with Cantbuybetter in the 5th ;)
    Well, it's been a while out of the ownership game.
    Ben bought a few at the Magic Millions and I've jumped into a share of a Better Than Ready colt.
    Looks a nice type, if anyone is interested, just give me a yell and I'll forward the details.
    Cheers

[email protected]

Gilgamesh likes this post.

Nice double at Ipswich with Mr Chow (14's) & High Africaine (70's) for the stable yesterday :-B
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
  • bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    Currie could be in a spot of bother.

Stewards at Toowoomba today have opened an inquiry into alleged suspicious activities taking place at the Currie stables by members of his staff. They have obtained CCTV and said this should help their investigations.

Stewards decided to allow the horses to run today, but said action would be taken if anything untoward was discovered.

Currie could be in a spot of bother.

Stewards at Toowoomba today have opened an inquiry into alleged suspicious activities taking place at the Currie stables by members of his staff. They have obtained CCTV and said this should help their investigations.

Stewards decided to allow the horses to run today, but said action would be taken if anything untoward was discovered.

Yeah, that was with me, nothing in it I reckon.

Standing there talking to Ben & Jimmy Byrne, Ben popped something in Hangs gob, just as the steward walked past. 
    He comes over and asks "what was that you just gave to hang?"
    Ben says "Just a loliie, he's got a sweet tooth" as he offers one to me then the steward.

All good, the steward wanders off.

Ben continues his instructions to Jimmy... "You're on a good thing here Jim, just get the rails run and the only things that could pass you in the straight is Skids or the steward"
    edited April 2018
    But seriously...

Currie has been at the centre of rumours for a long time.

It came to a head last November when QRIC put out a press release rejecting allegations that had been made against him and a Toowoomba-based official.

At the time, Currie confronted the rumours head-on in an article with Ben Dorries on Racenet.com.au.

“I don’t know where all these whispers and rumours are coming from but I want them to stop,” he said.

“I run my own business and maybe some people don’t like me for some reason, but it’s not as if I’ve been pushing my success down anyone’s throat. I’m not hiding anything.”

But five months later, Currie’s recent success has only heightened the speculation.

How can punters have confidence if a statement is put out pre-meeting about certain runners being under suspicion?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/superracing/ben-currie-inquiry-sours-start-to-queensland-winter-carnival/news-story/35bd69837515bd8584e447fcebefab52
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    I had confidence and honey toast coat me fuggin heaps
    Trainer Ben Currie buoyed by integrity meeting.

Queensland’s leading trainer Ben Currie felt a momentum shift for the better yesterday when he received encouraging news on a couple of fronts.

Currie appeared at the Queensland Racing Integrity Commission yesterday and left feeling upbeat about the ongoing investigation into alleged race day treatment at one of his stabling complexes during the past month. “I had a meeting with them today which I thought was very positive. Hopefully we’ll have it all cleared up,” Currie said. “I’ve been saying the whole way through that I haven’t done anything wrong and that’s what will come out I guess. Obviously it’s ongoing so it’s tricky to know what to say.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/turf-thoroughbreds/trainer-ben-currie-buoyed-by-integrity-meeting/news-story/e590913c2214bf169d7d4f9ae0e6b8af

jum likes this post.