G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 10 Non Members
LooksLikeTroubleLooksLikeTrouble    134 posts
Today RWWA terminated the licence of jockey Danny Miller effective immediately. There was an incident at Gloucester Park on the 1st of May involving an older driver having a heart attack during a race. This has no doubt influenced RWWA in making this decision. Dash had rides at Carnarvon's opening meeting tomorrow which he now cannot fulfill. He had decided it was time to hang up his boots at the end of this season August 1st after a career spanning 56 years. He should have been given the opportunity to go out on his terms, but that will not now happen. Why couldn't the RWWA heirachy not have sat down with him and come to a decision that was both dignified and respectful to him. To end his career this way is no doubt devastating for him and his family and should have been handled better. RWWA, the way you have dealt with this is wrong and he deserves much better from you. Have a bit of compassion for someone who has given his all for so many years. He's been riding so long, what's another 2 months! You will never get another participant that even comes close to DR Miller!!
+1 -1

TheSwooper, Chris, SLIPPERGOLDEN, RIO, The_Husson, SKIDS, Desperado likes this post.

thefalcon, hash dislikes this post.

Comments

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    Bastards!! no pharquing compassion....this will devastate danny.
    I hope its not true...
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    What a joke. If he passes a medical, he should be able to ride. At least let him have 1 more ride. The best trainers in the state should be lining up a good thing for him so he can go out as a winner. He is a phenomenon.
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    edited May 2018
    possible case for unfair dismissal or does that only apply to employees that have been hired in a workplace?
    each case in this situation should be assessed depending on the individual, who is to say the older driver in question (RIP) didn't have a medical condition or family history of it. disgraceful decision that will have plenty left scratching their head no doubt!
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    Frustration on social media is leading to the sort of comments that RWWA really need to avoid. I couldn't imagine Danny's pending retirement being handled more poorly. What should have been a planned media event and day for an iconic figure of the WA Racing Industry, has become the source of shame at how the decision was reached.

This could have been such a nice thing to happen. I'm embarrassed by what has transpired.
  • ManchildManchild    679 posts
    What a disgrace, This has been handled so appallingly Bad.
    Who is imbecile responsible for this ? He is worthy of a fitting farewell.
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    This is almost unimaginable how this has been handled.
    To link it or use the Gloucester park incident as a justification is so unfair.
    There would not be one person in the racing industry who would agree with this.
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    If someone of his vintage has a car accident due to a heart attack should we ban all drivers in that age bracket? Danny Miller is more than likely fitter than most contributors on this forum.

RIO, detonator, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• FreoHitmanFreoHitman    426 posts
    Can I play devil's advocate here. I assure you though it is not great for Danny Miller and I am with you guys that he should have been afforded a dignified exit from the industry.

Has the decision got anything to do with work cover ?? Has RWWA hands been tied by the insurance cover for Danny Miller ??
  • spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    Absolute joke if this is correct . As said above if this had to be implemented they should have sat down with Dash and discussed how they could of went about celebrating the retirement of the oldest licensed jockey in Australia. Absolute slap in the face to a bloke who's whole life has been involved in the racing game. As Damien stated above the miles PR and Rwwa could have got out of a planned day atBelmont where I am sure some trainer or a lot of trainers would have put him on will now not happen. Who knows they might have lined up to say Dashing Dan had his last ride on one of mine. This mob have about as much vision as a sight impaired slug . And no Manchild who ever came up with this decision just deserves to go no farewell let alone a fitting farewell unless it's a f... off farewell.absoluty humiliating decision to a wonder of not only the West Australian turf but also Australian racing . We should all ring PR and voice our displeasure about how they have handled this

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

It would certainly be insurance related one way or another
    edited May 2018
    You three lads getting mixed up with the dislike button on LooksLikeTrouble's post? You would disagree with the subject raised but that doesn't mean you dislike the post unless you thought it was untrue. I like the post because it was brought to my attention.

RIO, oldhendo likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Let him go out a winner ffs!

Manchild, RIO, detonator likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    If Danny is hale and hearty and has passed the medical requirements to be licenced for this season then an unrelated event cannot be a valid catalyst for the withdrawal of his licence.
    To remove the licence summarily based on age alone, if that is what was done, is probably fraught with question. 

surely if it was an insurance matter, which I doubt, could they not have said..."DRM is a legend, he is going to retire at the end of the season..can you just hold off"
    or, if they are firm on his retirement, call Danny in, explain it to him and suggest a farewell day where Dan rides a horse down the straight and then has a presentation in the mounting yard.

the way they have handled it is appalling....but, sadly typical.
    Agreed. Sad, yes. Typical, yes.

• bradybrady    1,452 posts
    Insurance Issue for sure !
    The world has Changed since 911 !
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    Can't they 'organise' some sort of tribute where a tearaway leader of a race opens up a 20len margin and the chasing pack follow at a 'respectful' distance?  Or nah?  :)] :-S

paraletic likes this post.

Fond memories of his rides on Kirov Boy when he would dash to the front. He would be pretty sad today no doubt, i think everyone is gutted for him.

Ridersonthestorm33, RIO, Thunderstruck likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    The only true legend of both codes. D.R. MILLER, over twenty years service purely on voluntary basis as pony trot steward at g.p.....Then  in the hour of need when theres been a jockey that's had to pull out, unable to make a meeting be it leonora or anywhere in the state, &  dasher has been given enough time to get there,to help out  his there in a flash has been the go to jockey on numerous occasions ..To roll him down the road, still shaking my head in disbelief..

Hope the name a decent race after him, and on the last Saturday of the season give the man the true send off he deserves with trainers&owners jockeys  country clubs reps. the harness people, punters form a archway from the top straight to the finish line, and get D.R. to walk through it, the man that found time to put back in  LEGEND

Ridersonthestorm33, RIO, Manchild, spinking likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Was knee high in the leger when Danny Miller won the Derby on Bottled Sunshine think it was, a very good three year old for Bart Cummings, it won the Queensland Derby too.

He's one of my earliest memories in horse racing D.R.Miller. Even though given it all back and more, had a decent go on a nag he rode and won on, a deceiver of a horse - Rocky Murano.
    in the press this morning Dan said he is devastated and will never set foot on a racecourse again..
    just imagine how the poor guy feels...

udontknow, Rex likes this post.

I don't think we've heard the last of this..... X(
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    Disgraceful. I bet any number of riders would have signed waivers to ride with the great man on a tribute day to say farewell.
     Absolutely out of touch with the fabric of racing.

RIO, Ridersonthestorm33, Desperado likes this post.

Unless there is an age Claus in the rules of racing , and Dash has passed the medicals surely he has a case

udontknow likes this post.

SavethegameI would go and be a part of the archway to high five the old fella as he walks of the turf for the last time

savethegame, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Good work Rio, hadn't seen that article. Very sad for the guy, given his all. Has done heaps for charities, inspirational fella. As well he's been a bloody good hoop.

savethegame likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    charlotte mills says it was due to "medical advice"
    Dasher says he passed his medicals.

So which is it? If RWWA's medical advice is based on the poor bloke who had a heart attack at the trots.. then their advice is seriously misguided. Each rider is an individual surely? 

I think its disgraceful to spring this on one of the icons of WA Racing and where was the notice? 
    Why did they let him accept for rides at Carnarvon today. Obviously received there so called medical advice yesterday. There timing like there integrity in this are deplorable

RIO, Desperado likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    There may be more to the story according to jockeys assoc

On behalf of the WAJA we would like to wish Dashing Danny Miller all the best in his retirement. We will be adding more to our story on the legend of WA racing but there hasn't been and never will be a jockey in Australia to have ridden this long and successfully. He is a credit to himself and his family and he will be acknowledged in the coming weeks for his outstanding career. Unfortunately comments are getting very heated in the way it has been handled but a lot also cannot be said publicly. Let's just celebrate his success and for what this man has done for WA Racing.