G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 40 Non Members

Good for the Industry?

West Australian Racing
TheFunksterTheFunkster    3,840 posts
After his 4th winner for today, Gareth Hall after his interview with Bob Peters said; "ah, he's good for the industry"...... Is he?
Bob predominately breeds his own, going to stallions over East, that he has shares in. I assume most of his mares are based over there too. So doesn't really support the local breeding industry much. Also agists his own horses.
He only uses 2 local trainers, so not really supporting a range of local trainers.
Pike rides most of his runners, except if multiple runners or they need to claim. So not really giving many jockeys an opportunity.
The rest of us are competing against his horses that cost (valued) anywhere between $100-500k+, with our horses that cost between $5-50k+. 
Not really a level playing field. A bit like EPL soccer, where premierships are bought.
So yes, he spends plenty of money in 'the industry', but it's not really 'distributed' locally. The net effect there is less prizemoney distributed amongst the rest of the owners, trainers & jockeys. Which results in less spent accross the wider industry locally.
So exactly how is this 'good for the industry'......?????
:-?
I reckon we'd have far more people investing far more locally without Bob's presence/domination.
+1 -1

Desperado, Ngawyni, Nosey, RIO, Ferris273 likes this post.

Comments

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    Also no Disposition, Delicacy etc etc flying the flag over east
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    On more than one occasion I have had to talk down someone from jumping

FreoHitman likes this post.

How many rungs does that ladder of yours have anyway?  :-@
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    There is one loophole, race your horses at 2. Bob leaves them races alone ;)

Desperado likes this post.

• TheFunksterTheFunkster    3,840 posts
    paraletic said:

There is one loophole, race your horses at 2. Bob leaves them races alone ;)

Or win next week's $40m Powerball jackpot!

RIO likes this post.

Well essentially its just one person I represent in Racing these days as inquiries have dried up in purchasing and also as per the problem nationwide, breeding has all but come to a standstill.

After his 4th winner for today, Gareth Hall after his interview with Bob Peters said; "ah, he's good for the industry"...... Is he?

Bob predominately breeds his own, going to stallions over East, that he has shares in. I assume most of his mares are based over there too. So doesn't really support the local breeding industry much. Also agists his own horses.
    He only uses 2 local trainers, so not really supporting a range of local trainers.
    Pike rides most of his runners, except if multiple runners or they need to claim. So not really giving many jockeys an opportunity.
    The rest of us are competing against his horses that cost (valued) anywhere between $100-500k+, with our horses that cost between $5-50k+. 
    Not really a level playing field. A bit like EPL soccer, where premierships are bought.
    So yes, he spends plenty of money in 'the industry', but it's not really 'distributed' locally. The net effect there is less prizemoney distributed amongst the rest of the owners, trainers & jockeys. Which results in less spent accross the wider industry locally.
    I reckon we'd have far more people investing far more locally without Bob's presence/domination.
    To reply directly to this statement is to invite condemnation 
  • NgawyniNgawyni    738 posts

The net effect there is less prizemoney distributed amongst the rest of the owners, trainers & jockeys. Which results in less spent accross the wider industry locally.

Couldn’t agree more. Not to mention that Bob is probably the biggest recipient of Westpeed with his ES breds that contribute nothing to the local industry. He’s entitled to do as well as he can for himself and he does it very well but I can’t see that he’s good for the industry at all.

Nosey, RIO likes this post.

• FreoHitmanFreoHitman    426 posts
    He puts in a fair whack , so anything he draws out he feels is deserved. Today was a great afternoon for himself but I can tell you he has his fair whack of hard luck stories and bad luck like every other participant but on a larger scale.
    Good on him
  • SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts
    Money makes money.
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    Makes beating him in a G2 that little bit sweeter

RIO likes this post.

• TheFunksterTheFunkster    3,840 posts
    A few missing my point here. Wouldn't a fair few industry particpants be better off without his dominance?
    Which would then be more money reinvested 'locally'.
    I'm guessing the people that say 'good on him', that their industry participation is limited to the punt.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    ^^^^probably correct Funky.

I don't begrudge him getting returns and winning the top end races, but to dominate a card like today definitely isn't good for the local industry.

Winning the group races, discourages people at aiming for those races with expensive east coast foals.....but to win so many today, on a standard Saturday card just discourages people.

I'm with you funky...and para, he has started running 2 yr olds this season too!!!!! I've tried to breed speedy squibs for that and he had a few that raced in them this year and i thought ...Why TF even try anymore....
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Sounds like Tall Poppy Syndrome to me.

This success hasn't happened overnight. This success wasn't gifted. Quite the contrary.

This always comes up when the horses are winning.

He's not buying the group wins, these are the fruits of decades of hard work. Loook at fat boy tinkler, money alone isn't enough. This is not luck.

Bob Peters is the least of this industries problems.
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    It just sounds like sour grapes! Boo hoo it's not fair.

Please.

therealkramer, Rex likes this post.

• NgawyniNgawyni    738 posts
    edited May 2018
    No one's saying it's not fair. He's entitled to do what he likes and to take advantage of whatever system is in place. He has economies of scale, probably gets a tax break if he has a losing year because its clearly run as a business, takes advantage of the flawed Westscheme system, uses the best trainers and jockey and is extremely astute and well organised. So he deserves the success he gets and yes it won't have been easy and along the way he will have had plenty of setbacks.

But the question which started this thread was is he good for the industry (or is anyone dominating to the extent that Bob does good for the industry)? 

RIO likes this post.

• RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    To be competitive, others must do better. The result is that there is pressure to get better. That's what's good about competition.
    edited May 2018

breeding has all but come to a standstill.

#MeToo has hit the racing industry? [-X
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    H-BOMBER said:

It just sounds like sour grapes! Boo hoo it's not fair.

Please.

Rodent said:

To be competitive, others must do better. The result is that there is pressure to get better. That's what's good about competition.

Certainly not from me. But Bob has got to the point where he has to sell good mare prospects as he has too many good mares. He has been very successful and deserves that success.

Bobs successful breeding and racing campaign is, has been and will continue to be the highlight of the WA industry for a long time.

However back to the original question. Is 6  winners out of 7 races good for the industry here in WA?? I'll stick by my opinion that it isn't. Anyone dominating anything to that extent isn't good for any industry.

And to think that RWWA see no reason to adjust the Westspeed system...hahahaha
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    Battle Hero. Bob sharing his love !!! :x
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Pleasure to watch this man over forty years getting his operation to where its today, When he first started the carnivals belonged to cummings, t.j. smith ,hanlon, hayes, murphy,& the odd good w.a.horse,along the way.,w.a had some big owners holmes a court,, Roberts,dempster,connell
    Bob peters has come out the otherside,perfecting his operation tried 10-15 trainers in the search of
    the right mix ,Clarke, c.smith.j.price r.price g.harper j. taylor. f.maynard l.smith a.durrant g.williams,etc.

One thing bob peters horses destroy is they can't win from the back today, you gotta be in the first three on the bend the experts bleat out,,his horses make  a mockery of that on weekly basis.

The man by his own admission has made big blues along the journey,and suffered some terrible
    tragedies with elite belle,delicacy who won7 from 7   above   2000m  was on the verge of stardom, once anyone takes there first step in racing,we all hope to reach the summit.

With rio on westspeed system needs to be  definitely looked at , need the small time breeders at the base to be encouraged to continue.

RIO likes this post.

Having typed a response yesterday, then deleted it as I just didn't want to get into another typical discussion bordering on hysterical argument, here for what it is worth, is my response after reading what looks like both sides of the discussion.

If your part of the Bob Peters empire, Adam Durrant, Grant & Alana Williams, Willie Pike and the many that also contribute from strappers to farriers to Vets, then life is good and secure in the knowledge that essentially the formula is working, everyone is getting paid their respective agreed amounts and they turn up to work knowing that there will be more success in the months ahead.

If your not part of the team, things are grim. You go to the races as a Trainer or associated team player already under the expectations of Owners who for the most part, couldn't breed to Bob's level and can't purchase to Bob's level. They hold no real sway with authorities, barely any have more than the occasional horse that gets them noticed by the media, they carry the burden of a number of clients who either refuse to pay and delay paying for so long that it simply isn't viable to continue. Because the cycle of poor stock selection by comparison to Bob's pristine herd, the coffers run empty when it comes time to bid again on anything above $40,000 in a yearling sale because you haven't been able to beat the machine. The only hope is a freak.

What should be a business of excellence in standards has become a band aid solution in cost cutting and making ends meet. Surviving to next year in the hope of things turning around becomes the priority. No longer do you look to place your horses in the best of company, rather they are placed in company that will hold more promise of a win at a lower level because the risk is too great that you will run into an Enticing Star or Arcadia Prince on just another normal Saturday heading into a Belmont Winter. Who knows what would happen if another Delicacy came along wearing those colours.

The distribution of stakes earnings is one thing that is fair, as winners should reap the rewards, but bonus schemes are open to be skewed in directions that were not intended due to a lack of foresight by those who drafted their formation. For Westspeed to reward in any way Breeders who reside in WA but choose to send their stock to the East Coast, almost never to return, then not even offer that stock for sale as weanlings or yearlings, is doing nothing for Racing and nothing for anyone considering coming into the Industry here. It is obscene.

This is not R J Peters fault, he clearly is operating within the rules RWWA created with utter disregard for any commonsense in application.

sonny likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Someone sms'd racing radio this morning this exact topic. Everyone ran scared from the question.
    that is expected, not saying the guys on racing radio are in the wrong or right but they have media obligations and it's part of their job at the end of the day so even if they did feel strong on the topic at hand they wouldn't be able to say it how they see it at risk of upsetting trainers in question and jeopardizing the relationship that would then in turn impact their roles 

it's easy for owners and trainers who don't stand a chance competing with the trainers/owner in question but these media personal would have to be very careful of the opinions they share of certain topics

LuckyLongshots likes this post.

• NevershowsurpriseNevershowsurprise    995 posts
    edited May 2018
    Couldn't disagree more Hash.

If you don't like the criticism or fallout from having your own formulated opinion then get the hell out of the media.

It's exactly this attitude that has plagued racing in WA for a generation now and it's the reason we are as an industry and as individual participants pushing shite up hill in WA.

People need to be upset, taken out of their little bubble and the industry needs leaders who aren't afraid to disrupt and change, the softly softly days have got us to where we find ourselves now. 

RIO, savethegame, TheFunkster, curmudgeon likes this post.

I think your missing my point, what i'm saying is that, what is to be required of you in the industry is to be a "yes man" just nod and agree even if you feel strongly against the topic at hand

no different to in the workplace for some, speak up and try tell someone above you better than what they think or know, next minute they've got a target on their head

the only bloke I have seen in the past decade to have his own opinion and not be afraid to speak it was Richie Callander, some liked him (I did) and most couldn't stand him but his best asset was he wasn't afraid to disagree and go against the trend

these days everyone in the media either just agrees and nods or buries their heads in the sand because they're too afraid to possibly lose their position

make better sense? so in a way I am agreeing with you. 
  • NevershowsurpriseNevershowsurprise    995 posts
    edited May 2018
    I understand exactly what you're saying, but my point is exactly that what you referenced about being a yes man.

The time for yes men in this industry needs to be over. Particularly if you take a position in the media (radio in this instance) and you invite the audience to discuss topics, then have the courage to have your own opinion irrespective of who won't like it. We need people to have an opinion, discuss it and promote change. 

I'm not silly and people look after their own interests for fear of repercussion, 100% they do but if we are to move forward then it has to stop and it needs to begin with the public faces that promote the industry.

RIO likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    the problem with racing radio is that it is run by RWWA.. so there cannot be a lot of critical commentary as the station is not independent. 

Having said that, I'm sure there's no way the station would exist without being funded by the industry.... 
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    regarding bob... and Im a bloke who has seen the tail end of bob with my horses on many occasions... the solace i take is that bob's good ones progress through the classes pretty quickly. 
    Yes, Enticing Star made a mockery of them on the weekend... but how many more starts do you think it will have before its open class? 
    Most of us (owners) wont have to worry about Enticing Star for too much longer. Was a 70 rater on Saturday, now a 75 rater...one more win and she's out of the way! 
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    When they say on racing radio " A lot of talk on social media" reckon they are referring to us here on PTT. =))  :-j  X_X  =))  :-j

RIO, detonator, therealkramer likes this post.