G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 30 Non Members

Gloucester Park Golden Slipper night

Harness & Greyhounds
Thought I'd get the discussion started really early.

As a first look I think Soho Interceptor will play a big part on who wins this race (not it). I see two options, they concede they probably aren't going well enough and just let it all happen or they decide they want to keep a forward spot in the moving line not just letting Dracarys across it creating a concertina effect having everything work that bit harder outside it. That scenario I give Bletchley Park a massive chance of getting off late and taking it out. I have to say I would have been more confident with Dylan on or Mark being further into his racing return.

If she does come out in neutral though then Dracarys gets over easy, sits on Too Fast Too Serious making it look very hard for Bletchley Park to get out. That scenario obviously sets it up for Franco Edward but I also do give the filly a chance even though it seems widely accepted the boys are better (hard to argue on times but I loved her 3 wide solo run at pinj). I concede not having seen her in the flesh she does look tiny on the box.

Or does Too Fast Too Serious roll the dice and have a crack for the top? Aldo version2.0 is a far more aggressive driver since teaming up with Warwick, think the sport is all the better for it.

Comments

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,717 posts
    The scrathing of Too Fast Too Furious takes a lot away from the race.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    How far has this race come since it's first running in 1968 from the stand when the Vince Chalker trained and driven filly Sordice rated 2.14.4  in winning the lions share of the $1365 stake on offer. By Conquistador and bred by the Hodgsons, she displayed hybrid vigour as a broodmare when a mating with Rare Chief produced the 1980 colt Chief Blinky who registered a career best 2.5.5 amongst his 3 race wins from 60 starts.
    Little Edward, a colt by imported speed sire Edward Adios, who was a subsequent huge disappointment at stud, upped the ante the next year when he started from 10m and rated an imperious 2.9.0 for Phil Coulson, who subsequently won the 1970 version with Dollars Double, who progressed to be a Group 1 winner of the Fremantle Cup in 1973, the middle leg of a Lyle Lindau threepeat bookended by Roscott and Wee Cent. Omista, who would go on to be a terrific broodmare with 8 quality winning foals for the Godeckes (think Mint Condition, Microfiche etc) saluted in 1971 for a purse of $2350 rating 2.8.6 from the mobile, Santos Adios (Lyle Lindau)  won in 1972 before the mighty Zaruma, driven by his owner trainer John Deane smashed the race record going 2.5.3 over the mobile mile. I remember thinking at the time "Wow, we'l never see a 2 year old go as quick as that"...I thought Zaruma was a superstar. The stake doubled to $5,000 in 1974 when Captain Armbro and Sparksie Treasure won, Lyle won his second Slipper with Watergate in 1975 and Les Marriott's reputedly high priced import Full Draw went a staggering 2.4.0 in 1976. Ben Geerson's top juvenile Mark Tabella won brilliantly in 1977 over the extended journey of 2000m and the highly thought of Whispering Campaign, also reputedly an expensive purchase , won for Val Pereira in 1978. The decade would be rounded out with the faultless San Simeon in 1979 and Bill Duffy's mighty mare Via Vista in 1980. The race, now worth $15,000, and 2 year old racing in general, were now firmly established on the racing calendar,  as a certain doubting Thomas (masquarading as a youthful JayJay) crawled back into his cynical shell to contemplate his next "it will never work in a million years" moment. We have a crack field  this Friday Night running for terrific money, and if I get time, I will trawl up some facts covering the years post 1980.

Gilgamesh, curmudgeon, VillageKid likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Chris lewis has won eight golden slippers no drive this year...
    Although he drove his first winner at Gloucester Park (behind Burgundy for Ben Geerson) in 1976, it was in one of those "Young Driver" series...he didn't shift to WA permanently until 1979. He will feature prominently in the next look back at Slipper Winners from 1980 onwards with 1987 Pardon Me Boys (which he trained), 1995 Harry Gunn (Olivieri), 1997 Saab (Olivieri), 1999 Talladega (Olivieri), 2004 The Jobs On (Jesse Moore), 2006 Aikido Whitby (N.Kieley), 2011 Western Cullen (Olivieri) and 2017 Jack Mac for Barry Howlett.
  • ZimmermanZimmerman    80 posts
    A.C Lewis probally not driving in his best for atm but still surprising he failed to secure a steer!
    Not the Slipper but what were your thoughts on the Speed Man trial everyone/anyone. Looks his race but i'd like to find something to beat him at the price he is looking to be.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    edited July 2018
    Looked pretty big in condition in the trial to me but that may be his physique. not flash sectionals and was battling late to find the line. Based on that I would rate him a big big knock Gilga. Looking elsewhere.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

Just looking at a race photo on the wall with K.Tyler Jnr the winning driver ..28/5/1976....reminds me that they ran heats of the Golden Slipper back then, 2000m from the stand.....not preludes, heats, had to run top 5 to qualify for the final....
    Anyway, a few familiar names pop up as the History Channel moves into the 80's....1981Torrevean Derby for Sam Torre, 1982 the brilliant Yarracoola, only had 3 good legs and a horse Trevor Warwick rates in the top two he ever trained, 1983 imported horse Lumber Leon for FRK and Roy Annear with race now worth $30k, 1984 Maxwell Hook for Wayne Harman, 1985 a favourite of mine Prince Of Princes from Bunbury with Phil Coulson in the cart, 1986 the outstanding Paavo for FRK, 1987 Pardon Me Boys for ACL, 1988 belonged to the brilliant Mazzini Magic for TBW, 1989 with the race now worth $50k and G Hall Snr both trained and drove Love Of Glory and 1990 saw  Whitbys Miss Penny for Peter Schrader and Rod Chambers round out the decade rating 2.01.2 for the 2100m mobile.

Gilgamesh, VillageKid likes this post.

Looked pretty big in condition in the trial to me but that may be his physique. not flash sectionals and was battling late to find the line. Based on that I would rate him a big big knock Gilga. Looking elsewhere.

Might be a case of knocking but cant find one to beat him I think.
    Both Fizzing and Our Corelli drawn okay from 10 and 11.
  • OnTheBridleOnTheBridle    36 posts

Gloucester Park

Race 1

1 – CHANGE OF ADDRESS has the speed to hold the lead in the
    early stages and he stuck on stoutly behind Handsandwheels last time out, who
    since vindicated that form reference with an effortless win here last week. 10
    – ADDFUELTOFIRE is flying under the radar and performing better than
    numerically suggested and will secure a dream run here. 11 – LISHARRY was
    unsuitably positioned in the moving line last time and tonight will drop to the
    pegs and opt for a suck run where he can come through late into a potential
    place. 2 – ROCKIN THE BOYS has gate speed but can’t cross 1 – CHANGE OF ADDRESS
    unless Jocelyn Young decides to hand up. Still in the novelty mix regardless
    and 7 – A BIT RUTHLESS was an eye-catching effort last time in stronger company
    but won’t have the aid of the pegs on this occasion. 12 – CHEVRONS CHAMPION has
    no luck last time and will improve here.

Selections: 1-10-11-2

Race 2

Tough race.  3 – THE
    STORM CHIEF got out and looked dangerous last time but couldn’t quite get
    there. Will need all the breaks to go his way but in an open race he appeals at
    long odds. 1 – DODOLICIOUS draws to lead and has been running consistently
    without winning. Will find this class more viable. 10 – YOUR EXCUSED will get a
    good run and is super consistent. 9 – FERNLEIGH REBEL flew last week but will
    most probably find it too tough out there. 5 
    - TISADREAM needs to find his best again as he’s seemed disinterested
    his last couple but if he does he could well force submission on his
    opposition. 8 – WALKINSHAW has been working like a train and still battling
    away. He has class so he can’t be discounted. 2 – QTOWN RIP ROARING and 11 –
    DOMINATE THE DOJO will find good spots and be in the thick of it at the end.

Selections: 3-1-5-8

Race 3

Market suggests that 2 – WHENMECHIEF leads here and
    continues his search for an all the way success. However, Eden Franco sat
    outside him and gave him windburn when he tried to sustain a staying test over
    2130m and steps up to the longer trip here. With that in mind, 8 – IDEAL TYSON
    is probably a better horse than Eden Franco and with a milder tempo set up
    front he can breeze and overpower them. If the lead was up for grabs that would
    be even better.  1 – BAD ROUND was my
    original leader and can possibly hold 2 – WHENMECHIEF but he too should
    eventually submit to 8 – IDEAL TYSON. 9 – VAMPIRO is going well, emphasised by
    his personal mile of sub-1:52.5 last week but will have to come from behind 8 –
    IDEAL TYSON to beat him, which is no mean feat. 11 – BRONZE SEEKER is capable
    of finding his way into novelty calculations. 6 – BHAGWAN is in career best
    form and can find his way into an exotic spot. 7 – ARDEN’S CONCORD, 10 –
    EXTREME PRINCE and 12 – I’M ROCKARIA likewise however will all need some pace
    on to figure.

Selections: 8-9-2-1

Race 4

The champ 9 – CHICAGO BULL produced a fine trial at Byford
    on Sunday to indicate he’s somewhere near his peak and can handle this field. I’m
    certain he will improve for the run and won’t be fully wound up but it shouldn’t
    matter. 7 – THE BUCKET LIST is an ATM and just consistently earns week in, week
    out. 6 – CUT FOR AN ACE is a veteran but is racing in terrific form and will
    not disgrace himself. 1 – I’M LISART is in career best form and is a smokey for
    exotics along with 3 - JOHNNY FOX. 5 – DEVENDRA looks a likely leader and will
    be in the mix for a long way.

Selections: 9-7-6-3

Race 5

1 – SOHO THUNDERSTRUCK draws to lead and be in it for a long
    way but I question his class. 3 – DRACARYS has faultless form but I feel might
    struggle against the boys late but she won’t disgrace herself. 7 – SHOCKWAVE can
    breeze the entire way and still be fighting at the end. He is an incredibly
    versatile and talented horse and will be right in the thick of it. 8 – BABYFACE
    ADDA has a cruel draw but if everything goes its way it can figure in the
    finish at an astronomical price. 10 – BLETCHLEY PARK has an indifferent draw.
    He will get the run of the race but he may never see daylight. If he gets out
    he should win but Jnr will never let him out. 11 – FRANCO EDWARD was beaten on
    his merits by 10 – BLETCHLEY PARK last week but looked to have plenty left and
    is still learning his craft. He has an esoteric x-factor foreign in the other
    runners that makes him dangerous.

Selections: 11-7-10-8

Race 6

Should be a case of 3 – THEREUGO leading and winning but he
    isn’t always to be trusted. 9 – CHOK CHAI is extremely talented and will make a
    good fist of it although first up off a break. He will have to work but will be
    in with a fighting chance late. 1 – I’M SOXY should sit leaders back and stay
    there. 8 – REMARKABLE is going extremely well he just can’t take a trick. 10 –
    THE FREEDOM FIGHTER can’t do any more than win but finds a different kettle of
    fish here. 11 – BEAU’S MYSTERY was a strong winner on Monday but will find this
    harder.

Selections: 3-9-1-10

Race 7

2 – SUSIE ROCKS should lead and be given every chancy by the
    front-running master and turned in a strong performance last time. 8 – MILLVIEW
    SIENNA will have to sit outside her as per usual and she will be in it the
    whole way and will appreciate coming back to mares grade. 1 – SEA ME SMILE will
    sit leaders’ back which is probably her favourite spot and be thereabouts
    although her last run was far from encouraging. 7 – THE SPINSTER has a
    dangerous sprint and with 8 – MILLVIEW SIENNA most likely applying pressure she
    could have terms run to suit. 10 – SOHO CHANGELING can follow the pegs home, 11
    – I’M STYLISH had little luck last time and was a good run suggesting she
    should go close from a decent draw. 12 – GLENFERRIE ARCH will appreciate coming
    back to mares grade and can’t be discounted.

Selections: 2-8-1-11

Race 8

Tricky one. 1 – ALLWOOD’S ROCKNROLL surprised some when
    getting up to win at long odds off a soft trip last week. However, the win was
    strong and he will secure an even better run here with a positive driver change
    also assisting his cause. 2 – SPEED MAN has the best record in the race but
    trialled just fairly and condition gave out late when narrowly going under. He
    should lead and at least be in it for a long way. 3 – ROBB STARK had a massive
    class edge first up in WA and needed it given his torrid trip but had the class
    to prevail. 4 – KOHLI showed a marked return to form last time and would need
    the breaks but is a player. 6 – MEGA MOOLAH was a good winner at Pinjarra and
    should stand up here however this is harder. 7 – BEE SEVENTEEN pulled hard last
    week and potentially cost itself the race when it was claimed late. 9 – ROCK ME
    OVER can sustain a long sprint and while his recent form isn’t as numerically
    pleasing as expected he has faced little luck. Again bad luck has thwarted his
    draw but he can still be in it. 10 – FIZZING looks a place best from there. 11 –
    OUR CORELLI faced older horses and beat them last time and should get a decent
    run through.

Selections: 2-3-1-4

Race 9

2 – SWIMBETWEENTHEFLAGS, I think, should find the front from
    1 – ANOTHER AYJAY soon after the start. I think this is in the best interests
    of both involved. From here I anticipate that 2 – SWIMBETWEENTHEFLAGS should be
    the one to beat and 1 – ANOTHER AYJAY to be a place player. 8 – ROCK DIAMONDS
    represents the class but will have to overcome the 30m handicap and has shown
    vulnerability from the stand in the past. 7 – I’M MASTER CHARLIE continues to
    race well along with 3 – COURAGE TELLS and 5 – ALWAYS ARJAY. I’m sure Richie
    will mix up 1 – ANOTHER AYJAY and 5 – ALWAYS ARJAY at some stage.

Selections: 2-8-7-5

Race 10

I’m hoping that with greater vigour 2 – DECIPHER THIS can
    find the front and be hard to beat. If she finds the front she should win. She
    hasn’t a great deal of early pace to date however she hasn’t been hard-pressed
    out as yet. 11 – NOUVELLE ANNEE put in a spirited bid last time but couldn’t go
    on with it in a 27.2 final quarter. 12 – GOLD RIVER is another who has claims
    and continues to be around the mark. 1 – MOTOR ON JESSIE is probably a place
    best option. 5 – NONCHALANT STROLL is getting fitter and I’ll throw it in courtesy
    of an outstanding driver change.

Selections: 2-11-12-1

I’m not as keen as I have been in recent weeks but there
    should be some good competitive racing if nothing else.

BEST BETS:

Race 1 1 – CHANGE OF ADDRESS ($3.30)

Race 3 8 – IDEAL TYSON ($2.40)

Race 7 2 – SUSIE ROCKS ($4.80)

Race 9 2 – SWIMBETWEENTHEFLAGS ($6.50)

Race 10 2 – DECIPHER THIS ($3.80)

BEST VALUE

Race 5 7 – SHOCKWAVE ($15/$2.75)

Race 8 1 – ALLWOODS ROCKNROLL; place ($7)

BEST ROUGHIE

Race 2 3 – THE STORM CHIEF ($67/$9)

Source, Gilgamesh, curmudgeon likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    JayJay said:

Just looking at a race photo on the wall with K.Tyler Jnr the winning driver ..28/5/1976....reminds me that they ran heats of the Golden Slipper back then, 2000m from the stand.....not preludes, heats, had to run top 5 to qualify for the final....
    Anyway, a few familiar names pop up as the History Channel moves into the 80's....1981Torrevean Derby for Sam Torre, 1982 the brilliant Yarracoola, only had 3 good legs and a horse Trevor Warwick rates in the top two he ever trained, 1983 imported horse Lumber Leon for FRK and Roy Annear with race now worth $30k, 1984 Maxwell Hook for Wayne Harman, 1985 a favourite of mine Prince Of Princes from Bunbury with Phil Coulson in the cart, 1986 the outstanding Paavo for FRK, 1987 Pardon Me Boys for ACL, 1988 belonged to the brilliant Mazzini Magic for TBW, 1989 with the race now worth $50k and G Hall Snr both trained and drove Love Of Glory and 1990 saw  Whitbys Miss Penny for Peter Schrader and Rod Chambers round out the decade rating 2.01.2 for the 2100m mobile.
    Some absolute rippers there JJ brings back great memories as a kid at GP watching the likes of Paavo, Pardon Me Boys, Mazzini Magic, Whitbys Miss Penny, Prince Of Princes, Maxwell Hook and Lumber Leon.....great era!
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Race 1- Forever Remembered
    Race 2- Walkinshaw
    Race 3- Ideal Tyson
    Race 4- Chicago Bull
    Race 5- Franco Edward
    Race 6- Thereugo
    Race 7- Millview Sienna
    Race 8- Robb Stark 
    Race 9- New World Order
    Race 10- How Gouda She
    R1: No12 Chevrons Champion. Run upsode down and she swoops them.

R2: No4 Nieghlor to take up a nice moving line spot and zap the Dodo. Special mention Qtown Rip Roaring who I think might be able to squeeze in to leaders back.

R3: No9 Vampiro. Ryan Warwick to out drive them and yes I am being serious.

R4: Obviously the little Bull and i'm not going to try and get fancy to make something out of the race.
    EQ: 1,2,8,12/1,2,4,8/2,8,9/9 100% for $48.
    R5: No10 Bletchley Park.

R6: No1 Im Soxy on a 3/5 basis.

R7: No2 Suzie Rocks. Best Bet. Get on. Walk in the park for Lewis. Expect Im Stylish to push through really hard on its back and keep Lady Luca 3 wide and take the sit on Millview, she is the danger. Good luck to anyone backing Millview Sienna at that price.

R8: No2 Speed Man. Wantto take him on but can't find one.

R9: No5 Always Arjay. Best EW. I just think this works out perfect for him to run to the front and keep on going.

R10: I have no idea!
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Best Bet ....How Gouda She in R10. Steadily improved for Chelsea Harding and a good second  beaten 7.5m in the fastest time 2100m of the night  1.58.3 at Northam last Sat. Should lead and prove hard to run down.
    Toss around in novelties and it is the type of race where a nice divvie can pop up.

Michael Grantham actually out drives them all in the third.

R7: No2 Suzie Rocks. Best Bet. Get on. Walk in the park for Lewis. Expect Im Stylish to push through really hard on its back and keep Lady Luca 3 wide and take the sit on Millview, she is the danger. Good luck to anyone backing Millview Sienna at those odds

How good is racing when it goes to plan!

curmudgeon, Chris, Source likes this post.

• ChrisChris    5,218 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

R7: No2 Suzie Rocks. Best Bet. Get on. Walk in the park for Lewis. Expect Im Stylish to push through really hard on its back and keep Lady Luca 3 wide and take the sit on Millview, she is the danger. Good luck to anyone backing Millview Sienna at those odds

How good is racing when it goes to plan!

=D>