G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 19 Non Members

Why WA Footy Is Unwell

Sport
JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
I am Vice President of the local football League. Received an email today from WAFC advising of a change to the Player Registration Form for next year. In order to register, players must state what school they attended.

The reasoning provided for this change (and I quote verbatim)

" To Provide more granular participant data on our Carto Mapping System"

What overpaid muppet came up with such errant nonsense and what would the footy public think of such absolute crap?

A parent from down her went up to watch their son play on the weekend ....There were 3 colts games at Subi on Sunday in there so called "elite" Colts competition....no food outlet, a coffee van out on Railway Parade, a scoreboard on the far side the size of a whiteboard, no public address system, 2 very poor games out of 3 ....very elite indeed. Sadly, I wasn't there, I was at Kojonup  timekeeping 3 first semi final games of footy...a 7.00am lift off and a 7.00pm touchdown, 12 hour day of volunteering, no fuel money, no nothing.....and after paying for umpires and new footys for each game, the fixture ran at a loss....The WAFC and its associate WACFL may as well sign the death certificate for grassroots footy. They have certainly ended my 45 years of involvement, killed off all enthusiasm, dead as a stuffed dingo.The burgeoning bureaucracy of officials have an awful lot to answer for. Can't wait for the season to end and get out the fishing rods. Any time you hear about the AFL and it's monstrous funding  supporting grass roots footy through State Commissions or Country League organisations, just roll your eyes and walk away because it ain't happening.

Comments

• jumjum    3,512 posts

And they do not really encourage football. Hows the rule that a player cannot play, if he is not registered to your club. I fully understand why there needs to be some form of registration system. To stop clubs pulling a swifty.

But 3 times this year our teams played short because a couple of players pulled out on the Sunday morning. All 3 games we had players that could fill in for the weekend, (guys that had never played before and a couple of old veterans) that were at the game. and we could not play them because they were not registered players. We can not even get any of our Collie Fossils super Rules players back to fill in because they are registered to the WACL super rules league not the SWFL.

The WAFC is an absolute disgrace JJ, an absolute disgrace

[-( like you said, run by over paid muppets

spinking, VillageKid, JayJay likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Jum & JJ the WAFC are just a WA arm of the AFL who are really pulling the strings if you catch my drift.
    The AFL are now funding/running the WAFL Colts competition in this new era of "elite" pathways garbage on a similar model to their beloved Vic based TAC Cup they want total control of everything have taken it out of the WAFL clubs hands and centralised it because apparently the development of the likes of WA boys Franklin, McGovern, Rance, T.Mitchell, Fyfe, Kennedy, Darling, Yeo, Naitanui, Ryder, Rich, Coniglio et al wasnt up to AFL/Vic standards?!?!?!?!?!
    They are only interested in producing players for their beloved AFL too bad if not quite good enough at 18 they just get thrown on the scrap heap as they are not interested in the WAFL, WAAFL, WACFL competitions etc even tho as a Tim Kelly, Liam Ryan etc have shown not everyone is ready at that age and you need strong competitions to for the late maturers to develop and flourish in.
    It is all about the "elite" AFL and to stuff with everybody & everything else....little do they realise that the house of cards will all come tumbling down if the other competitions (WAFL, WAAFL, WACFL, Junior Football) are not looked after!

spinking, jum likes this post.

• saxonsaxoffsaxonsaxoff    179 posts
    jum said:

And they do not really encourage football. Hows the rule that a player cannot play, if he is not registered to your club. I fully understand why there needs to be some form of registration system. To stop clubs pulling a swifty.

But 3 times this year our teams played short because a couple of players pulled out on the Sunday morning. All 3 games we had players that could fill in for the weekend, (guys that had never played before and a couple of old veterans) that were at the game. and we could not play them because they were not registered players. We can not even get any of our Collie Fossils super Rules players back to fill in because they are registered to the WACL super rules league not the SWFL.

I might be wrong on this one jum but I would imagine the being registered thing is for insurance purposes more than anything to cover public liability. 

goose likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    Yes, it is....but in the past, you could fill in a registration form on the day, get it signed off and pop it in the match day envelope,  and off it would go to the local league registrar and everything is good. Now, since Fox Web have taken over all football registrations (compulsory) and put it online, you are buggered. All registrations have to be done by 5pm Friday and, as Jum states, there are "no walk up starts" for someone rocking up on the Sunday for a game of Ressies or to cover a late withdrawl. "oh, they say, you can get out your IPAD on the day and register them"...well that assumes that you have remote internet coverage at your local ground, which let me tell you, is not a given at remote country grounds. Why change, in the name of progress and high tech, a system that worked brilliantly for decades? So nonsensical is the system that we have to "clear" our Junior Players to the Senior Club in order for them to play Colts when they leave Juniors, even though they are all members of the same club. I could give you dozens of examples of stupid metro-centric bureaucratic stuff ups that are killing country footy....it is a nightmare running a Country Footy Club or League (I speak from experience as a recent Secretary, Treasurer, Committeeman of a local club and now Vice President of a League. If only the public knew how the peoples game is being driven to extinction. It is nothing short of scandalous.

jum likes this post.

• loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    Jay Jay join the Country Footy Club of associations that has been sold out by the AFL.  Not sure about the new fangled system mentioned above, but I went to a recent Country game where in the Magoo's one side lent the other side a couple of players and was still played for points.

That to me is far more important than, the AFL with all their crap rules & regulations, and there great grander plan which does not help dying surburban or country football.
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

Jay Jay is spot on the Money, I am the Vice President of our club in the SWFL and it is nightmare trying to run a Football club, I could right for hours and have numerous pages on the bullshittt that has been implemented by these muppets. 

How's the form of all the WAFL clubs though, pick the eyeballs out of all the best talent, We have a lad that has played 14 years in our club, East Freo get him there because they think he is a chance to get drafted, If that is the case this year. They get $15,000 from the AFL and we get a Whooping $500. That is just wrong on so many levels.

The AFLs idea of grass roots footy is the WAFL, SAFL and all other state leagues, they couldn't give a flying **** about proper country footy

JayJay likes this post.

@jum the WAFL clubs do not receive a cent from any drafted players anymore...the WAFC (WA arm of the AFL) puts it all back into their afl/tac elite super colts comp!
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    When did this stop, Because it is not what we have been told :-??
    edited August 2018
    jum said:

When did this stop, Because it is not what we have been told :-??

Last year when the afl funded model took over the running of the WAFL Colts!

jum likes this post.

Correct...when they made the Colts comp "elite", took over the appointment of coaches etc, the only club attachment is that they wear the host club jumper. Been a ripping success as well!!!!! (not).

jum likes this post.

Further to the registration process....previously, you could "roll over" all the previous year's registered players to the next season by pressing a button on the Fox Pulse system....and then delete anyone who had moved on, retired, etc....worked a treat. But no, that function was removed and EVERY player needs to be re-registered each season which creates a logistics nightmare for club registrars. Absolutely hopeless and time consuming

Repeated requests (and I mean repeated) from people on the ground floor to revert to the previous system were ignored and you probably got labelled as a trouble maker. Considering people move, their mobile numbers change, their email addresses change and NBN coverage is problematic in many country areas, reverting to the previous roll over function was a no brainer.

As far as support from Perth goes, a local club down here was having it's Centenary Celebration...100 years of the club being in existance. Fairly significant and a big night was planned with an enormous effort put in to assemble historical memorabilia, a catered meal etc etc. Invitations were duly issued to the WACFL and to the zone club East Perth, who had a bye that weekend and should have been available to be represented. Not only did no-one attend from either organisation but they did not even favour the club with a reply, nothing, zilch. Furthermore, the only request the Club made of East Perth was for a photograph of past premiership player Gary Bygraves for their "Hall of Fame" wall in the clubrooms. No worries said East Perth....and they sent down a photo of Ken McAullay which Cowboy, who was present, was delighted with. "Leave it up" he said, "Noddy was a much better player than me". They couldn't even get that right.
    Disgraceful on behalf of EP JJ....god I hope my club SD is a lot better with its country zone clubs.
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

I heard the Grand Final down your neck of the woods was a cracker JJ ?????

Kick after the siren to win ??????

VillageKid likes this post.

Correct, I was the timekeeper, the last kick of the day at Pemberton Oval, Siren went as the ball flew over the Goal Umps Head but the kick was from a mark, so it would have counted anyway. 2 point win to Imperials over Deanmill, fantastic game (14.6 to 12.16). Deanmill goaled with 48 seconds left to lead by 4 points but Imps won the centre take away. Great crowd, sunny day, couldn't have been any better but unfortunately, No WAFC or WACFL officials in attendance to see what it is all about.
    Was a busy day, started at 5.30am and staggered in the front door at about 7 oclock that night, completed knackered.

goose, jum, VillageKid, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• goosegoose    1,628 posts

jum said:

I might be wrong on this one jum but I would imagine the being registered thing is for insurance purposes more than anything to cover public liability. 
    Unfortunately you cant just let anyone who rocks up have a go as in the good old days we would have done. Imagine someone gets bashed by a deregistered player opens up a whole can of worms the way of the world now.
  • goosegoose    1,628 posts
    From what I have seen some of the WAFL clubs are undermanned and overstretched in all departments  hopefully there will be a changing of the guard at these clubs and they survive and prosper.
    But what I have noticed is the growing A & B grade amateur competitions seem to be a big following they are drawing decent crowds and some of the bigger clubs are well financed surprisingly well. I am guessing alot of volunteers that in previous eras would have gone to help WAFL clubs are now staying with the amateur clubs and some of the sponsors also for that matter what you do about it I dont know.
    JayJay said:

No WAFC or WACFL officials in attendance to see what it is all about.

Those clowns at the WAFC would have been far too busy doing up the pay packs for the WP players JJ!  X(