G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 28 Non Members

Trap For Fools - Cups

East Coast Racing
PCPC    2,190 posts
This WA horse has been nominated for the Cups. It won at Moonee Valley in August. Nicely bred.

Will be running in the Naturalism Stakes in a few weeks - the winner of that race is guesnteed a start in the Caulfield Cup.

http://racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?HorseCode=NzQ1NDg1NTM0&src=horsesearch

Comments

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    Nice win by Trap For Fools by a length at Moonee Valley today (2040m).

Trainer said the Naturalsim Stakes or JRA Cup could be options going forward.

Thunderstruck, jum likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    He is a beauty no doubt!
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    edited September 2018
    I love his breeding especially on his dam's side.

His dam is Old Money who was a champion 3 year filly on the racetrack.

Old Money's sire was.......OLD SPICE and we all know how good of a sire he was.

jum likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    i would love to see it in the cup. 3200m up the front and try to hang on

jum likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    I'm not a big fan of on pace horses...especially leaders...I'm from the Bart school....leaders can be sitting ducks with 100m to go.

I'd like to see Trap For Fools ridden quieter if possible.

Perhaps he is a 2400m horse.

goose likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    The valley is surely his track though... might be a bit harder at Flemington. 

hash likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    TheDiva said:

The valley is surely his track though... might be a bit harder at Flemington. 

The JRA Cup might be his race then, If I've got the right race in my head. Think it is run the Friday night before the AFL grand Final

goose likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    JRA Cup is run on AFL Grand Final eve on Friday night.

Real Love won this race a few years ago in 2016...won it by 3 lengths.

jum likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    I thought it was a career best performance by Trap For Fools in the Turnbull Stakes. Finished 5th and only 1.95 lengths from the winner (Winx). Great effort.

Would be good to see him cometitive in a Caulfield Cup and just run well. Last year WA horse Boom Time won the Caulfield Cup..you'd probably think Trap For fools is not at Boom Time's level yet
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    PC said:

I thought it was a career best performance by Trap For Fools in the Turnbull Stakes. Finished 5th and only 1.95 lengths from the winner (Winx). Great effort.

Would be good to see him cometitive in a Caulfield Cup and just run well. Last year WA horse Boom Time won the Caulfield Cup..you'd probably think Trap For fools is not at Boom Time's level yet

He's better than Boom Time by about 3 lengths IMHO.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    jum - why do you think Trap For Fools is better then Boom Time?

In my opinion Boom Time is better at this stage as he has the runs on the board.
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    edited October 2018

I think Boom Time did a Prince of Pensance. Absolute Fluke, In the Caulfield Cup. Where every miracle and star aligned. I know TFF was a better horse here than BT was, But BT raced a lot earlier and against Delicacy. But he wasn't always running second to her either. A lot of 3rds 4ths 5ths and 6th to her.

I backed BT early as a 3 yr old. But did my nuts every time TFF kept winning . So im probably a bit biased

To me TFF has done a lot better than BT did in his earlier runs in Melbourne. And I don't think BT would get within 5 lengths of WINX.  But at the end of the day mate, its just my opinion.

And for what is worth, following you on here the last 3 years. I genuinely respect yours.

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    jum said:

I think Boom Time did a Prince of Pensance. Absolute Fluke, In the Caulfield Cup. Where every miracle and star aligned. I know TFF was a better horse here than BT was, But BT raced a lot earlier and against Delicacy. But he wasn't always running second to her either. A lot of 3rds 4ths 5ths and 6th to her.

I backed BT early as a 3 yr old. But did my nuts every time TFF kept winning . So im probably a bit biased

To me TFF has done a lot better than BT did in his earlier runs in Melbourne. And I don't think BT would get within 5 lengths of WINX.  But at the end of the day mate, its just my opinion.

And for what is worth, following you on here the last 3 years. I genuinely respect yours.

Cheers mate.

jum likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    If trap for fools was set for a perth cup, it wins. Not sure if its an option at all as its been a long prep.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    And what weight would it carry in the Perth Cup?
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    58 / 58.5 at a guess with it's current rating of 104
  • squid69squid69    1,434 posts
    The way this Valley track is playing today, Trap For Fools would have to be a big chance, on pace in the Moonee Valley Cup.
  • HotJulesHotJules    226 posts
    Qualified for cup with second but needs fair attrition rate.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Biased on pace at the Valley helped but he ran well.

Would be good to have a WA horse run in the big one.
  • HotJulesHotJules    226 posts
    Agree. Libran ran well and unfortunate to cop such a track.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Ventura Storm broke the 2500m track record in the Moonee Valley Cup,the time was 2:34.37.

The previous best time was in the 2015 Moonee Valley Cup won by The United States...the time was 2:34.43
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    The US then went onto run in the Melb Cup albeit finishing 14th beaten 6L
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    hash said:

The US then went onto run in the Melb Cup albeit finishing 14th beaten 6L

Whilst the runner-up of that 2015 Moonee Valley Cup was Prince Of Penzance who won the Melbourne Cup.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    WA Horses - Mackinnon Stakes Winners: Past 20 Years

Great result for WA :-)

2018: Trap For Fools

2016: Awesome Rock

2009: Scenic Shot

1999: Rogan Josh

therealkramer likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    Old Spice s the sire if Old Money. Old Money was a champion 3 yr old filly - she is the dam of Trap For Fools.

I had $20 each way on Trap For Fools in the Mackinnon

carey, jum likes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    PC said:

Awesome Rock - bred and/or owned in WA...not sure it makes him a WA horse
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    PC said:

Awesome Rock - bred and/or owned in WA...not sure it makes him a WA horse

Bred in WA...near Gingin. Was sold at the Gold Coast Magic Millions...but yes is 100% a WA horse. Also stands at stud in WA too

• PCPC    2,190 posts

Bred in WA...near Gingin. Was sold at the Gold Coast Magic Millions...but yes is 100% a WA horse. Also stands at stud in WA too
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    edited November 2018
    I didnt know the sire of Trap For Fools (Old Money died in 2012). The article below is from 2017.

Evans will salute Old Money if Trap flies
    Jay RooneyThe West Australian
    Friday, 29 December 2017 8:21AM
    Jay Rooney
    Geoff Evans and Simone Webster after Trap For Fools won the Towton Cup.
    Geoff Evans and Simone Webster after Trap For Fools won the Towton Cup.Picture: Simon Merritt/Western Racepix
    A fascination with stayers led to Geoff Evans taking a punt on former star filly Old Money at a sale in Kentucky nine years ago.

The winner of the Group 1 WATC Derby, Group 2 CB Cox Stakes and Group 3 WA Oaks in 2000 was sold to the US by leading WA owner Bob Peters, but had a troubled history at stud.

Despite her issues, Evans jumped at the chance to add to his broodmare band when bloodstock agent Damon Gabbedy told him Old Money was up for sale.

“I was a big fan of Old Money and her brother Old Cobber,” Evans said.

“I was lucky enough to buy her for $US50,000 at the Keeneland sale.

“They really had difficulties with her over there. We brought her back and she was in foal but she lost that foal.”

Old Money left four foals in Australia, including Street Tycoon, who Evans sold to legendary trainer Bart Cummings for $210,000 at a Sydney yearling sale in 2012.

Old Money died in January last year but her penultimate foal, Trap For Fools, is on the verge of giving Evans his first Perth Cup win.

The Lindsey Smith-trained gelding has rocketed to favouritism for Monday’s Group 2 feature at Ascot after a remark-able eight wins from his past nine starts.

Evans is chasing a breakthrough cup win after his mare Free At Last ran a close second to Crown Prosecutor in 2005 and Celtus pulled up sore after running fifth as the favourite in 2004.

“Lindsey probably owes me because he did sneak along the rails with Crown Prosecutor,” Evans said jokingly.

“Free At Last went back to last and came around the entire field.

“Celtus pulled up with a cracked sesamoid after running fifth and Free At Last ran fourth that day, too.

“I’m really looking forward to this Perth Cup with my great mate Lindsey, who stuck by me through thick and thin.”

For all of the highs Evans has celebrated, he has suffered plenty of lows in racing.

They include Free At Last’s dumping from the Melbourne Cup field in 2005 when the Victoria Racing Club committee used its discretionary powers.

And Evans returned to Flemington four years later with the hot favourite for the Group 1 Victoria Derby, Rockferry, who ran fifth and was later thwarted by a serious tendon injury.

“We’ve got unfinished business in Melbourne,” Evans said.

“It’s tough over there, but if anything’s easy it’s not worth doing.

“Free At Last ran second in the Craiglee and got balloted from the Melbourne Cup at the 11th hour.

“The chase is as good as the result at times and it was an enormous chase.

“I’ve always had an interest in stayers and that’s what has inspired me to keep going.”

Trap For Fools is the apple of Evans’ eye. The Poet’s Voice four-year-old has thrived on a heavy workload at Smith’s Casuarina stable and is renowned for his tough, front-running style in his races.

“I think he’s got the Old Money blood in him and the toughness of Old Spice has come through,” Evans said.

“He won’t lie down and we haven’t seen the best of him.”

TOPICS
    Racing

THE WEST NETWORK
    West Classifieds
    The Game
    West Video
    West Benefits
    Airline Ratings
    West Travel Club
    West Announcements
    WestBusiness Events
    West Competitions & Puzzles
    Education
    Quokka
    PerthNow
    7plus
    7travel
    Better Homes and Gardens
    Marie Claire
    New Idea
    OUR PARTNERS
    Starts at 60
    Airtasker
    iSeekPlant
    HealthEngine
    Impulse Screen
    SocietyOne
    SUBSCRIBE TO
    The West Australian Newspaper
    The West Email Newsletters
    The West Digital Edition
    CONNECT WITH US
    Send us a message
    Contact Us
    Frequently Asked Questions
    Editorial Policy
    Editorial Complaints
    Place an ad in the Classifieds
    Advertise In The West
    Corporate
    © The West Australian and Seven West Media (WA). All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy
    Terms and Conditions
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Those WA horses just love the 2000m at Flemington:

WA Horses:  2000m G1s Wins at Flemington:  Past 25 Years

2018: Trap For Fools: Mackinnon
    2016: Awesome Rock: Mackinnon
    2009: Scenic Shot: Mackinnon
    2003: Northerly: Aust Cup
    2002: Old Comrade: Aust Cup
    2001: Northerly: Aust Cup
    1999: Rogan Josh: Mackinnon