G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 38 Non Members

Comments

• Jeb1980Jeb1980    13 posts
    Whats everyone's opinion on the TAB being sold?....I've always been on the fence.
    Who's the most likely to buy? Tabcorp......
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    depends on if its $200 mill or $1 billion   =))
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Depends on 30% of what

RIO likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    edited October 2018
    Curious that this story is hot on the heels of Perth Racing announcing a profit, with conditions attached. It fly's in the face of an ever reducing amount of horses in work and many sectors of the Racing Industry hanging by a thread.

So why would you sell now ? Certainly I wouldn't as a buyer be stumping up a lot compared to say the state of the Industry a decade or so ago.

Timing is everything in a sale, but my fear is that if this is to happen, now is not the time.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    6 years ago $300mil.....3 years ago $200mil......today $100mil.....3 years time. NCV

The window has gone. All the old timers got their way. Probabaly similar deadwood that encouraged PR to not go to 1 track a few years ago!!!! Opportunities missed. In My Opinion

Tucool likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Legislating for virtual racing ......what a social contract success that will be.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Virtual racing - great idea - there's not enough to bet on at the moment :O)

curmudgeon, savethegame, jum likes this post.

• psychopsycho    652 posts
    Will I get back my fixed odds account or am I still banned, really I don't care no more of my money on principle

jum likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    Psycho, I'll open a few accounts in the misses name and go you halves :D

psycho likes this post.

There was a $2 Double Jackpot on the Chile races today - yes we are betting there - think it's on the western part of South America - with the $2 Jackpot the total invested on the Double was $2! Not a single bet taken on it...the good news is that the $2 will carryover again.

RIO likes this post.

virtual racing... what a disgrace... 
    this type of betting is effectively pokies being introduced. 
    https://soundcloud.com/tabradio/paul-papalia-the-sports-daily-october-10

its for sale, but there's no price on it now.
    I dont think this mob know what they're doing either to be honest. 

RIO likes this post.

and they keep getting it wrong... even the pollies dont understand it. Bookies ARE paying tax to the state that holds the meeting where they accept bets. 
    Every year, at carnival time, Punta had to get permission to bet on Vic races... and Punta paid tax to RVL based on turnover. 
    Equally, corporate bookies and E/S bookies pay tax to RWWA for the money they hold on WA Racing. That money however is not handled by the government (well it is, in so far as RWWA is the government), which is where Papalia and the last guy in the job are wrong. 
    Now the Point of Consumption tax is a new 15% tax that will be paid to the government. So its a double whammy in essence. 
    The punter will end up paying for this in the long run. 

Ridersonthestorm33, savethegame likes this post.

• ga_odowdga_odowd    13 posts
    Meanwhile, it has been reported that several prostitutes have been seen entering Lee-Steer House as the Professor is unable to contain his sudden onset of "priapism"... Believed to be triggered by the TAB Sale News and the payout due to PR.

It is believe that PR has already spent the promised funds, and will be staging a sausage sizzle this weekend to raise funds for the new Grandstand.

curmudgeon, Manchild, savethegame, RIO likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    ga_odowd said:

Meanwhile, it has been reported that several prostitutes have been seen entering Lee-Steer House as the Professor is unable to contain his sudden onset of "priapism"... Believed to be triggered by the TAB Sale News and the payout due to PR.

It is believe that PR has already spent the promised funds, and will be staging a sausage sizzle this weekend to raise funds for the new Grandstand.

hahaahaha
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    TheDiva said:

and they keep getting it wrong... even the pollies dont understand it. Bookies ARE paying tax to the state that holds the meeting where they accept bets. 

Every year, at carnival time, Punta had to get permission to bet on Vic races... and Punta paid tax to RVL based on turnover. 
    Equally, corporate bookies and E/S bookies pay tax to RWWA for the money they hold on WA Racing. That money however is not handled by the government (well it is, in so far as RWWA is the government), which is where Papalia and the last guy in the job are wrong. 
    Now the Point of Consumption tax is a new 15% tax that will be paid to the government. So its a double whammy in essence. 
    The punter will end up paying for this in the long run. 

Well that’s the biggest concern to me - that those that are dealing with it don’t know what they’re dealing with.
    And selling it to people who do = get rings run around.
    Part of the rationale for placing a " FOR SALE " sign outside the door of the TAB is to remove uncertainty about whether or not it is going to be sold. Puhllleeeese.............it is the role of politicians and overpaid Quango heads to mount cogent argument based on holistic assessment .....not cop out and jump at shadows. The "No worse off argument" is absolute bullshiit ....does this trainer wheel gang have the worlds only guaranteed 100% reliable crystal ball in their possession ?
    If it's not broke don't fix it. Gallop dropped the percentage of tax paid to the government and thus allowed it to be siphoned into stakemoney and the tri code administrator RWWA.  Now we have RWWA back dooring the system that gave birth to it and Labor politicians with no idea trying to flog it off for short term budget gain. None of the people making this decision will be around when the chickens come home to roost for the actual racing codes. 

edited October 2018
    At one of the Trackside virtual horse racing games I asked a guy..."is this a winning game ?",
    "I'll say", he replied.."it just won $100 from me".

TheDiva, RIO likes this post.

Part of the rationale for placing a " FOR SALE " sign outside the door of the TAB is to remove uncertainty about whether or not it is going to be sold. Puhllleeeese.............it is the role of politicians and overpaid Quango heads to mount cogent argument based on holistic assessment .....not cop out and jump at shadows. The "No worse off argument" is absolute bullshiit ....does this trainer wheel gang have the worlds only guaranteed 100% reliable crystal ball in their possession ?

If it's not broke don't fix it. Gallop dropped the percentage of tax paid to the government and thus allowed it to be siphoned into stakemoney and the tri code administrator RWWA.  Now we have RWWA back dooring the system that gave birth to it and Labor politicians with no idea trying to flog it off for short term budget gain. None of the people making this decision will be around when the chickens come home to roost for the actual racing codes. 

that is exactly right... they dont understand it... they dont give a sh*t about it.... and they wont be around when it hits the wall. Their statements about corporate bookies not paying tax to us proves they have no idea what they are talking about. 

savethegame, Tucool, RIO likes this post.

• tonytony    2,361 posts
    The statement re corporates not paying tax to WA is somewhat correct,

All bets through the WA TAB contribute to WA no matter where the event is being run.

All bets on non WA events by WA residents with corporates (or for that matter interstate TAB's) attract no return to WA.
  • sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    The tabs down fall happened when they did not compete with the corps,The tab needed bookmakers and punters owners on the board to make decisions to match their incentives . Tell me the last Federal/ State Sports minister who knew about gambling or sports..

Ridersonthestorm33, RIO likes this post.

sonny said:

The tabs down fall happened when they did not compete with the corps,The tab needed bookmakers and punters owners on the board to make decisions to match their incentives . Tell me the last Federal/ State Sports minister who knew about gambling or sports..

Agree re the punting "smarts & experience" largely missing from the TAB's governance sonny ...however the Corps now cover a widespread area previously under the parimutuel umbrella...because they are more bookmakers than pari -mutuel......and therefore they bar successful punters and encourage rebates as a business model not an inclusive system of wagering. They have picked the low hanging fruit and some have bailed already. Rather than suggesting that gambling should not be a governmental limb and devoid of social balance my belief is that it is exactly the type of pursuit that needs intelligent moderation for all parties to have the opportunity to thrive commensurate with their involvement strategy..
    Quinella Jackpot Moora - Race 1 - Forty cents.
    At least every cent is accountable.

RIO, paraletic likes this post.

edited October 2018
    tony said:

The statement re corporates not paying tax to WA is somewhat correct,

All bets through the WA TAB contribute to WA no matter where the event is being run.

All bets on non WA events by WA residents with corporates (or for that matter interstate TAB's) attract no return to WA.
    corporate bookies pay product fees to the state who holds the meeting where they are holding money. If they hold money on WA racing... they pay RWWA their product fees. 
    If they hold money on victorian racing... they pay money to RVL.;

It is UNTRUE that they dont pay tax.

It "may be" true that they dont pay enough tax.... but they DO pay tax.

the point of consumption tax will now tax a further 15% based on where the customer bets... so the industry and bookies are now being double taxed (even triple taxed), rightly or wrongly. 

Product tax, POC tax, then income tax on their profits... 

I dont know what this 15% POC will do to the landscape... but someone has got to pay for it. 
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    betzleasy  are taking there hat out the ring regarding the purchase of tab. due to 15% p.o.c.

Victoria will introduce 8%  nsw ;; 10%     jan. 1st 2019  ;; w.a.  rwwa ' "tyranny of distance "  15% p.o.c 

Make the purchase of t.a.b. less attractive, that's why the dunny paper runners  are pushing through virtual horse racing game. as a bonus ;;;prey on people that have a addiction giving them a faster hit...proud how w.a had limited the pokies ;

2015 labour squealed  a private owner tab owner wouldn't provide the same level  of financial support to the racing industry as the government .QUOTE    Stephen brown  now environment  minister

curmudgeon likes this post.

• LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    Just another government selling off OUR infrastructure for quick political gains!

The POC will kill this sale.  If Beteasy ain't going ahead, who will?  TABcorp?  They hate our state!

The returns on virtual racing are very small (from what I heard months ago on 1206), it will only be about a 2-3% return on the entire TAB income, is only a very small amount.