G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 13 Non Members

Caulfield Saturday 0ctober 13th. Group 1's x 4.

East Coast Racing
Ten races at the Heath with Group 1's and 2's dominating the meeting...doesn't get much better than Caulfield & Randwick this weekend.
The Group One always enjoy is the time honoured Toorak Handicap over the 1600 metres with 18 runners and just like the recent Epsom Handicap is wide open.

Thought the run of Land Of Plenty in the Rupert Clarke race was a huge effort when three wide with no cover for along way before going down narrowly...has come up unbelievably with barrier 19..will jump from 18.

Shillelagh was enormous in the Epsom - think Michael Walker will be looking to reedeem himself here - great jockey.She should have nearly won the Epsom when motoring home. Does get a mile back and will nearly run favourite. She's short enough at around $6.

Hartnell - he's been a great horse - Epsom victory - hard one to leave out. Jungle Cat likewise.

The two at double figures like a bit are Noire - she's been super impressive in Sydney....and Siege Of Quebec far from disgraced in the Epsom when running seventh.
+1 -1

savethegame likes this post.

Comments

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    nine runners in the 2000m Ladbrokes in the field of 12. are still in the cox plate..you think the bottom 6 finishers wouldn't progress on to the cox plate plus the mare sits and waits..may finish up a small field ..Has waller made a program for unforgotten?  he was undecided if she went any further then this run on sat.   and will take some stopping if she handles melb.way.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Good question stg...theres quite a few deciding which path to travel. Melbourne & Sydney racing is at an all time high. These fields they come up with are remarkable. Like them or not...the international horses add to the quality.
    @Thunderstruck a 250k Jackpot Quaddie awaits at Caulfield....start getting pen to paper.

I'm very keen on 'just' six of them in the first leg...
    1. Land Of Plenty
    2. Shillelagh
    3. Noire
    4. Jungle Cat
    5. Hartnell
    6. Siege Of Quebec

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    edited October 2018
    @riders ok i shall do mate.

Gee the 2nd leg looks a go wide affair if your not confident on the Waller pair... :-??
    edited October 2018
    This will only get me into trouble but was thinking about taking on both of them...especially the favourite D'Argento.
    Mainly because it's not much value as the favourite. Unforgotten am a bit more reluctant to leave out.

1,2,3,5,6,7,8 are good odds in comparison to Wallers two favourites.
    Third leg a skinny quaddie leg with just The Autumn Sun and a wider one with him and 2,4,15 for me.
    I would leave out Humpidor knowing full well that he likely would bite me on the ass :D
    But..i can make a case for 7 or so selections as who knows how these o'seas raiders will fair? A number of them could win it..have to put some in..very tough quaddie well at least the earlier legs.
    edited October 2018
    Final leg a heap of them..2,5,6,7,8,9,10,11.
    And taking on Big Duke - he's second favourite - but thought a bit dissapointing in the Metropolitan.
    Humidor goes in for me at around $8 he's a good price...if was $5 would leave out. Horse doesn't know what price he is...that's true...but I do haha.
  • SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts
    Big Duke, due for a change of luck in the last I reckon.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    On Saturday at Caulfield, there will be four Group 1s run : The Thousand Guineas, Caulfield Guineas, Caulfield Stakes and Toorak Handicap, but there is another interesting race worth keeping an eye on. The Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes (2400m) will also be run. This race has a rich history and has at times provided winners of the big staying races later on in the spring. There are a few unique facts about the Herbert Power and it’s link to the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups. The first is that the winner of the Herbert Power gets an automatic entry into the Caulfield Cup and is exempt from the Caulfield Cup ballot/order of entry. The second interesting fact is that the winner of the Herbert Power CAN NOT receive a weight penalty for the Caulfield Cup – it is a “penalty free race” for the Caulfield Cup. However the winner of the Herbert Power can be given a weight penalty for the Melbourne Cup at the discretion of the handicapper.

There has been several name changes to the Herbert Power Stakes over the years:

1898–1919 - Eclipse Stakes
    1920–1992 - Herbert Power Handicap
    1993–1996 - Quick-Eze Stakes
    1997 - Perrier Mineral Water Stakes
    1998–1999 - Perrier Stakes
    2000 - Herbert Power Stakes
    2001–08 - Winning Edge Presentations Stakes
    2009 onwards - Herbert Power Stakes

The Following horses have achieved the Herbert Power Stakes/Caulfield Cup Double:

2007: Master O'Reilly

1970: Beer Street

1955: Rising Fast

1953: My Hero

1907: Poseidon

1906: Poseidon

1905: Marvel Loch

Other Information:

2017: Lord Fandango won the Herbert Power (53kg) and went on to run 4th in the Caulfield Cup (50kg). Boom Time ran 4th in the Herbert Power (56.5kg) and went on to win the Caulfield Cup (52kg)

The following horses have achieved the Herbert Power Stakes/Melbourne Cup Double:

1999: Rogan Josh

1978: Arwon

1976: Van Der Hum

1973: Gala Supreme

1944: Sirius

1942: Colonus

1906: Poseidon

Other Information:

Since 1970, the following Melbourne Cup winners have run in the Herbert Power Stakes before going on to win the Cup in the same year, below is how they performed in the Herbert Power Stakes:

2015: Prince Of Penzance - 8th

2014: Protectionist - 4th

2009: Shocking - 2nd

1999: Rogan Josh - 1st

1986: At Talaq - 4th

1981: Just A Dash - 7th

1980: Beldale Ball - 2nd

1978: Arwon - 1st

1976: Van Der Hum - 1st

1973: Gala Supreme - 1st

1970: Baghdad Note - 2nd

Other Information

2005: Leica Falcon won the Herbert Power and then went on to run 4th in the Melbourne Cup.

2004: Zazzman ran 3rd in the Herbert Power (then called the Winning Edge Presentation Stakes), and went on to run 3rd in the Melbourne Cup.

1996: Skybeau ran 3rd in the Herbert Power Stakes (then called the Quick Eze Stakes), and went on to run 3rd in the Melbourne Cup.

So....who is your tip to win the race this year?
    edited October 2018
    All yours re Big Duke i was on last time so won't be jinxing you, one of Waller's might win Brimham Rocks is due a change of luck to nab a valuable win...another open race though 8 or 9 horses could win that too, Rising Red should be fitter his was a big run 2nd up.

#8 or 9 My tips @PC leaning to Rising Red due to a marginally better gate.
  • squid69squid69    1,434 posts
    I’ve taken odds boost to $31 for I Am A Star in the Toorak. She is back to her very best, and I don’t think Dwayne Dunn rides at 52.5kg too often these days.

Thunderstruck likes this post.

edited October 2018
    Taking on The Duke and decided to take on Brimham Rocks too...their both obvious chances but will run favourite and second favourite...and think there's more value in the race.

Super consistent Brimham Rocks...does run a lot of seconds and thirds :-? drawn out in 14 :-? going to risk him as the running favourite.

Terrific Herbert Power - a few sneaky internationals in there too.
    Well in at the weights, although a sticky draw assume they will still roll forward?..I love this mare, big chance if she gets a decent run in transit and agree she is definitely back from last prep injury woes..i think near to but back to her best? I reckon Saturday will tell that story..at her best, with 52.5 kgs and a decent enough run she wins.
    edited October 2018
    Chris Waller legging Stephen Baster aboard Brimham Rocks too...this is a trainer that goes far and wide to utilise the hoop that suits his horse on the day.

Brimham Rocks noticed is by Fastnet Rock a renowned great sprinter - amazing what breeding can sometimes deliver.

Has to roll forward - it's a tricky barrier - great effort in the Metropolitan - but around $5 in a tough race happy to pass. Albeit reluctantly.
    Big Duke another - they have him too short for me at the $6...@$10 he goes in!
    So Thunder & TRC or anybody what's the go on the The Autumn Sun ?
    A risk at the even money or a good thing ?
    Firmed into 1.90 now..close to a moral you would think and with an even better jock in Jmac steering super hard to beat!

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    Haven't really looked at the form @Ridersonthestorm33 but Im guessing the ability to handle Caulfied is tbe horse's only obstacle. I can only remember Weekend Hussler starting that short though and he was a virual champion.

edited October 2018
    What about the filly Oohood isn't that the horse you guys were following then bang gets up the other week at double figures.
    Finished off hard the other day, possibly a little danger to the fave ?
    Just that one win but six places and over $1.3million in the bank. Didn't realise Tony McEvoy trained.

hash likes this post.

I thought Leonardo Da Hinchi was really good in the Stutt Stakes at the Valley once Rawiller finally got him in the clear. Barrier 10 doesn't help though, obviously

Yes Oohood, Leonardo and the stablemate Native Soldier thought the only dangers to The Autumn Sun..if the winner comes outside of those four then it's a pretty big boilover.
    I wonder how much pace there will be? Walker will need to be on his bike early if Tavisan is going to cross from barrier 9. Native Soldier is a leader with a good gate and won a key lead up race. Muswellbrook, blinkers on gate one should probably be on the back of the leaders.

edited October 2018
    I think the tempo is the key. If some of those drawn wide lose their heads and push forward regardless then The Autumn Sun can drop out as far as he did in the Golden Rose. If, as is likely, it's a more sedate pace, J Mac will need to decide whether to hold a forward position. The Autumn Sun obviously the best horse in the race so the ride will be the key imo.

edited October 2018
    Big day for Michael Walker he's been a bit quiet lately - one of his biggest fans - but thought the ride on Shillelagh in the Epsom was a Barry Crocker - Waller has left him on.
    She can have a few flat spots in the run and gets way out of her ground - no wonder she can be a bit difficult to ride.

The other horse Hartnell if he happens to win the Toorak - the term of champion can be thrown around abit loosely - but he will be as close to a champion as you can get.
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    edited October 2018

So Thunder & TRC or anybody what's the go on the The Autumn Sun ?
    A risk at the even money or a good thing ?

just wins! up to the mile is even better going off the way he finished off last start, class horse in this field just wins

Oohood finally broke through last start with a big swooping win aswell, up to 1600 will see her also be better off, only 2kg off the toppie though not saying she can win but is close to a lock for a drum and if for some reason TAS doesn't handle Caulfield or sees a heap of bad luck back in the pack then this horse will be the one to spoil the party

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Im talking through my future kick, but Thrillster is absolutely primed to the second. The stars have aligned and she looks set to win the 1000 Guineas. I still it should have bolted in last start given an easier run afford to Smart Melody.

There was talk of hartnell making the Perth trip for the KT? Win/lose or draw I hope they come with the big fellow.

Look for another big run for Tosen Basil. Fantastic last start and look a major player going forward.

• That last run flattened Thrillster, so will be interesting how she goes tomorrow.

Hopefully she's recovered enough within herself and gets the chocs at the price for you Bomber.

H-BOMBER, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts

Big day for Michael Walker he's been a bit quiet lately - one of his biggest fans - but thought the ride on Shillelagh in the Epsom was a Barry Crocker - Waller has left him on.
    She can have a few flat spots in the run and gets way out of her ground - no wonder she can be a bit difficult to ride.

The other horse Hartnell if he happens to win the Toorak - the term of champion can be thrown around abit loosely - but he will be as close to a champion as you can get.

I respect your opinion but Hartnell is not a champion in my opinion irrespective if he wins the Toorak on Handicap on Saturday. Hartnell is a good horse - yes. Champion - no.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts

I rate Walker too....really good jockey.

Hopefully he can bounce back and ride a few winnees on Saturday.