G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 25 Non Members

Purdon Domination and Cop The Run Of Ultimate Sniper

Harness & Greyhounds
Very few get a look in on Cup Day in NZ......the only races the Purdon juggernaut don't win are the ones they haven't got a starter in.....trifectas, quinellas, all the big races, the rest are just left a few crumbs. Cop the run of Ultimate Sniper in the 3yo feature, crikey, 3 wide early, into the breeze, working his butt off with some super quick quarters and no problem, he just beats them up. Heissenberg did everything possible to beat him bar letting his tyres down and just got blown away. Such domination in many states and many codes at the moment, we are witnessing the corporatisation (Is that a word?...I dunno but you get my drift)  of racing at the moment on a scale we have never seen. Time will tell whether that is a good or bad thing but  backyard Bill and his homebred broodmare are being consigned to the history books......and I just booked one in for stallion servicing yesterday???? Yikes, what was I thinking?
+1 -1

Gilgamesh, Betonme likes this post.

Comments

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Next race, same story....Turn It Up and Fun At The Beach, another Purdon quinella in race 8, never in doubt, everyone else driving for 3rd and 4th money.....seriously, a day at the beach is probably not a bad thing for the other stables. Have lost count but I think that is 4 or 5 winners.....so far....out of 8 races and more to come.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    Ultimate Snipper was ultra impressive.

Perfect day for the "bigger is better" track debate. Is everyone going to come on and argue we should build smaller tracks because racing on the larger tracks is just dominated from the front????

Yep the better horses are working their way to the front (same as on the small tracks) but other than the run of Ultimate Snipper it is making for pretty boring viewing.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    How good are sprint lanes!!!! :-q

Kane_26 likes this post.

• BetonmeBetonme    209 posts
    First race, the winner was 5 back pegs still on the corner.
    I don't think ive ever seen that at GP. 
    Couple of observations on the Cup....yes, I know there was a false start but to defer to a bunch of scrubbers going around at Quirindi????

McCarthy must have felt like Custer at Little Big Horn, surrounded by Blue and White Stars.....if one All Star don't beat you, another one will. Tiger Tara was superb, in my view, the best horse in Australia and probably the best horse racing in the Dominion at the moment. Versatile and brave, very unlucky to be sprint laned out of it ...just!!!!  Dream About Me should share the prize with The Fixer as she dragged him around for 3000m and I can sense a certain irony in the name.

Whip rules in NZ....Rasmussen crossed the reins, and whacked away with a free right hand....is that allowed over there? It certainly isn't over here, Brian Cousins copped a $200 buck fine for doing it at the trials about 2 weeks ago.

And finally, that's 7 out of 10 for Purdon.....and they didn't have any starters in the other 3 races so far. I think that it is a very unhealthy situation, taking nothing away from the winners, but extremely unhealthy. Ridiculous in fact.

• BetonmeBetonme    209 posts
    "The Fixer as she dragged him around for 3000m and I can sense a certain irony in the name."

My first thought also, oh the irony having a horse named that win the main cup, after all the NZ scandals this year. 

Tiger Tara did everything but win, was certainly huge. 

JayJay likes this post.

Make it 8 out of 11 after that last trot....and they have the favourite in the last.Roast turkey with all the trimmings tonight for the All Stars, bread and dripping sandwiches for the others......if they are lucky!!!(Apologies Monty Python).
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

How good are sprint lanes!!!! :-q

My two bobs worth, no doubt tiger tara deserved to win it as the best horse in the race...But no sprint lane in operation they would have resorted to different tactics, after Herlihy was happy to handup,rasmussen probably would have kept the stablemate to her outside and walked until the tiger appeared, then would have kept him three deep  working,with two fresh stablemates sitting doing nothing, if the tiger busted her open,,,, they had barriers 1,2,4,5. was never going to be easy sprintlane or no sprintlane..at the judge  they were 1st 3rd 4th 5th and bettors delight got the tri..my pet hate more then two runners from one camp.

curmudgeon, Betonme, Gilgamesh likes this post.

That all aside, the run of Ultimate Sniper in 1.52.9 for a 3yo, along with stunning last half and quarters, after trailing up 3 wide from gate 12, then breezing and simply overpowering them, well he was fantastic. Stand to be corrected but I think a brother to Prentices good mare Major Reality...or at least a very close relation. Lazarus's brother however, is, like many brothers of champs, not in the same room as his illustrious older sibling.

Is a brother to both Major Reality and Ultimate Machete....handy broodmare!!

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Quite frankly .....NZ harness racing is a big big loser with this type of domination by a single stable. Even if everything is above board the races actually look contrived....every time. We are not that dissimilar in WA either.

Betonme likes this post.

edited July 2019
    Not WA and not Purdon (even though that juggernaut rolled on at Albion Park tonight) but Emma Stewart land two first fours, 2 other trifectas and a quinella at Melton tonight....looking at it another way, that's 4 trifectas and 5 quinellas, all in the main features .......very few crumbs for the others. A significant feat that I suggest has never occurred before.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Victoria have got incredible horse numbers and stake money for that matter - dont know their financial model but it must be  pretty good

Friday night at Melton - soley for the Trotters - 11 race card - 12 horse fields - finals of 2/3/ and 4 year olds - 5 races at 100k and all  up 700k for night . I mean most other states would be lucky to have 20 trotters on their books  full stop

Ben Yole is worth a shout - Frid night in the stand - he had 10 of the 14 runners - and looking at the results page - its like looking at a set of cards - they ran 2nd through to 9th - and add in 12th and 14th and last .

• ciscocisco    805 posts
    Looks can be deceiving Boys - there are a number of harness racing trainers struggling big time over here in Victoria!! 
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Markovina said:

Ben Yole is worth a shout - Frid night in the stand - he had 10 of the 14 runners - and looking at the results page - its like looking at a set of cards - they ran 2nd through to 9th - and add in 12th and 14th and last .

What a advertisement to try and entice the punters back the good old standing starts, where the opportunity  is removed from being naughty boys, with one stable having ten runners, plus four  of the stablemates were drawn inside the eventual winner..it jumped from  bar.7 bingo....led and won.