G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 38 Non Members

Aussie Day Preview, you bloody ripper

West Australian Racing
PerthTurfTalkPerthTurfTalk    3,054 posts
edited January 2019 West Australian Racing

A crammed schedule attempting to fit form for 7 race meets in 6 days will see a summarised edition of suggested bets, including a couple of plays in the South West. Serious first world problems.

Max stakes 100 units per race.

Ascot

Race 2 - Miss West Coast - 100 wins

No prizes for tipping this one, but at around $1.80 looks a good starter for the multi players out there. She was $1.80 to $1.50 first up when nothing went right, but she was still too good. Likely to land on the back of the leader here and only bad luck beats her. None of her opponents have shown much at the trials.

Race 3 - The Big Show - 100 wins

A late scratching from the Perth Cup with a leg issue, was clearly not 100% at his next outing. I’m usually not one for forgiveness, but this is an astute stable who fixes problems quickly. Being a 4 year old with a stack of potential, they would not be taking him to the races unless he was 100%. Went slower then they would have liked at Pinjarra, expect Mitch Pateman to roll them along here and break a few of their backs.

I’m really happy with the $4, but there could be support elsewhere.

Race 4 - Friar’s Gift - 15 wins and 35 places

Little bit speculative, but Friar’s Gift has been racing well, without luck all campaign. Was a touch flat at what tends to be a leader bias Pinjarra, but has shown enough before that to suggest he has a race of this nature in him. Drawn barrier 1, with Chris Parnham taking the mount is the perfect combination. Carocapo will clearly be tough to catch out in front, but he is second up from a 2 year absence. Brave taking the $2.30 about him.

At around $16 the win and $4 the place, this looks a nice each way play.

Race 5 - Shackleton - 80 wins

Always happy to put a line through races down the Pinjarra chute and that's exactly what I’d do with his last performance. Should have won on Perth Cup day and prior form around Ambiente and Alpha Sky is huge for this type of race. Drawn to settle just off them and is due some luck. Currently over the $4 mark, which to me represents value but I cannot be sure what type of support will come for King’s Authority, who is having his first start in the state. I’m happy with the $4.4.

Race 6 - Forceful - 100 wins

Beat The Devil is the only horse capable of beating this Hard Spun gelding. William Pike was standing up in the irons over the final 200m at his most recent outing when he still clocked the quickest 200m for the event. I have no doubt he wins if getting out. With the scratching of Thaad, comes into barrier 5 and he will look to have Beat The Devil within his sights on straightening.

Race 8 - Special Delivery - 15 wins and 20 places

Speculative finish to the day, but I can mount a case. Performs well first up and the Bairstow yard, along with Mitch Pateman are in red hot form. Two lead up trials around Epic Grey and Red Army were brilliant. Blinkers go on, which is a sign of intent and with King Of Chaos your $3.90 favourite, this is not a strong event.

More than happy having something on each way at the $21 mark, but a bit like Mark Bairstow’s Dam Ready in recent times, it would not surprise me to see him start even longer. His runners don’t need to be backed to win.

An eye on Corporate Larrikin to improve rolling along in front at cricket score prices.

Esperance

Race 1 - Dance West - 100 wins

Surprised David Harrison has sent this filly to Esperance after really strong efforts in high class maidens. The effort to be within 3.5 lengths of Locomotive, Coming Around, Missing Pro and Admiration Street simply just win this.

If she has travelled and settled into her new home well, the $2.30 available should be more like $1.50. Judging betting moves at Esperance is like trying to predict the next Australian Test XI.

Race 3 - Saturday Skies - 50 wins and 50 places

If you are only having one bet for the day, this is the one I would recommend. I tend to get that little tingle through my loins when he’s ready to win, and I feel the vibration. When leading at Esperance at somewhere around the mile mark, he is awfully hard to beat. The handicapper has been generous recently, shedding rating points which sees him placed on the minimum here. Rhino Buster and Chhaya are going well, but one is lumped with 60kg’s and the other is questionable at the trip with a change of jockey which doesn’t enthuse. Esperance played on pace a week ago and the rail is in the same spot. The booking of Randy Tan is the cherry on top.

$9.50 the win is well over my rated price. Have suggested an each way play as the $3.80 for a top two finish still represents value.

Happy punting!  
+1 -1

rooboy, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Comments

• DharrisDharris    67 posts
    What about race 7??
  • SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts
    Dharris said:

What about race 7??

I think Wrinkly looks suited in the 7th. Will fight it out with Double Digit.
  • DharrisDharris    67 posts
    SKIDS said:

Dharris said:

What about race 7??

I think Wrinkly looks suited in the 7th. Will fight it out with Double Digit.

I reckon you’re spot on! Backed wrinkly each way. Tho did have a cheeky one on Fontainebleau. Solely on the basis that she only finished 1.5 lengths behind misty metal
  • SlammerSlammer    23 posts
    Why is it that Perth are always behind time for the first race? No excuse really
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    Broadcast quality is noticeably different as well, especially when in split screen. WA broadcasts are far too dark and contrasted compared to Eastern States. Looks like it was shot on a spud.........
  • JellJell    1,201 posts
    R4 - Friar's Gift
    R7 - Wrinkly
    R8 - Special Deilvery
  • chocchoc    788 posts
    They didn’t miss Shackleton today
    Overdue
  • chocchoc    788 posts
    Perth coverage on Sky has been especially putrid today thus far
    But much blame on the fact that each and every race starts a minimum 2 mins behind post time, every single time :((

Ridersonthestorm33, oldhendo likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    How good did Friaresque go today first up, in for a decent prep it seems
  • SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts
    1, 4, 7 or 8 in the last for my qauddie.
  • bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    choc said:

Perth coverage on Sky has been especially putrid today thus far
    But much blame on the fact that each and every race starts a minimum 2 mins behind post time, every single time :((

What shiiiites me, is that even if they are sometimes running on time, it could still be three minutes before a race in Melbourne, Sydney, or Brissy, and the studio bloke says, and he did it about ten times today, "with apologies, you can watch the Ascot, Newcastle, Townsville race on Sky 526 or for free on your Tab app".

They then get Brasil to crap on for three minutes about his selections.

A classic today was at Townsville. Two to go in, and are moving in, when the imbecile in the studio says what I wrote above and they cross to I think it was Caulfield with three minutes to go, but not before you see the horses jump at Townsville.

I'm a Platinum customer of Foxtel, and  I refuse to give them another pharquing cent to watch a channel I should be able to watch for nought.

All that said, Perth Racing rank around number one for running late, although the Gold Coast are not far behind them.

It probably speaks to the amateurish manner in which they perceive racing at their venues should be conducted.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    Dharris said:

What about race 7??

If he liked My Greek Boy, he's tipped the quaddy in 1 and it paid $4348.40  =D>

Dharris likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    last winner, blinkers 1st time......

hash, Jell likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Massive trial
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited January 2019
    Noticed lately if a race is running just 30-60 seconds late then Sky1 will pass it over to Sky2, what seems to be happening is more and more events are going to Sky2 especially during the week.

Sometimes just moments from jumping and they cut it off - a bit annoying especially when next race they cover still meandering there way to the barrier or boxes.

Sky previously if running late gave about a 2 minute buffer but that now especially midweek seems no more than 60 seconds.

Then again if run on time - not a problem - but do they ever ?
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    Riders if you tune into racing NSW your able to catch the last half of the ascot card once the last race in Sydney on a Saturday has finished... they have the interviews and mounting yard previews etc etc I only ever use their channel to watch the local Races, forget SKY channel mate

https://m.racingnsw.com.au/LiveRaces.aspx#ath

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.