0 Members & 17 Non Members

AFLW

Sport
ManchildManchild    679 posts
Its like watching under 12s

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited February 2019
    Got thru one minute of it the other day - Cats v Pies - that was enough.
    Each to their own though - some like it but not for me.

Quite like watching the Matilda's but women's footy - leave us out.

Gee's sport is saturated these days - NFL - seventeen game season - best run sporting competition in the world. Crowds are strong.

Less is more. Big Bash has gone the other way - meaningless games - meaningless racing - it's all saturated to the max!

oldhendo, Manchild, RIO likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    I have no doubt whatsoever the Fremantle girls will improve out of sight under their new coach Trent Cooper who did a great job with the SD Colts side a few years back.
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Three women's team sports are top notch, and very watchable (Netball, Soccer and Cricket).
    AFLW is not.

Ridersonthestorm33, Manchild, RIO likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    The reality is that women cannot compete with men in either team or individual sports due to the physiological differences. These differences are even more emphasized in rugby and AFL where there is a much higher degree of physical contact.

Whether you choose to watch women's sport is purely a matter of choice after you accept the above.

The other issue is that AFLW is still in its fledgling stage and considerable improvement will take place over the next 3-5 years. With over 500k playing the game during the regular season it is the fasting growing sport in Australia.

A sobering thought is that based on the above figures, attendance at women's football matches is approximately 3 times that of the numbers that attend race meetings throughout Australia on a given weekend.

RIO, PAUL likes this post.

Also over 50,000 attended Round 1 of the AFLW.

Free entry admittedly but throw open the gates at a men's  WAFL fixture against free to air and foxtel coverage and you would still struggle to get 2-3000 to attend.
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    edited February 2019
    Tivers said:

Three women's team sports are top notch, and very watchable (Netball, Soccer and Cricket).

AFLW is not.

Women's Hockey is probably the best for mine.

AFLW is like watching my boys play Auskick on Saturday morning.

Oh yes, hockey.
    First national hockey team played in 1914 and Olympics in 1980. Fair start on AFLW.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Tivers said:

Oh yes, hockey.

I dont mind watching the women's tennis.

And i've watched heaps of mud/jelly wrestling. I think they do that better than the blokes

jum, Ridersonthestorm33, Manchild likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    =))
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Haha good one Rio.

RIO likes this post.

edited February 2019
    Even Doubles tennis hardly a team sport.
  • PAULPAUL    2,665 posts
    Tivers said:

True, otherwise I'd be tempted to throw in beach volleyball. :-?

RIO, Manchild likes this post.

Although not a team sport, I also don't mind watching highlights from the LPGA golf. From about 125 metres from the hole inwards, the women's game is comparable to the men's game in terms of skill level. I couldn't sit through a whole day watching it, but the highlights packages are normally pretty good quality.

The Australian leg of the LPGA tour, which is being broadcast on FTA TV on the ABC, tees off this week with the Victorian Open at the 13th Beach Golf Links (where the men and women play in separate tournaments but on the same course at the same time) and finishes the week after at the Australian Open at The Grange in Adelaide. WA have two talented golfers currently on tour, Minjee Lee and Hannah Green.
    PAUL said:

Tivers said:

True, otherwise I'd be tempted to throw in beach volleyball. :-?

Actually. I watched some college volleyball in the states...... was very entertaining.
    The skills, and the uniforms !

RIO likes this post.

• ManchildManchild    679 posts
    I Liked the lingerie league in the US ,Great outfits

RIO, VillageKid, Kane_26 likes this post.

Have to concede that the Melbourne/Collingwood game was a shocker. Stoppage after stoppage.

Collingwood would have been beaten by 10 goals if it was't for Scott Pendlebury. (No 10 don't know her name).

Manchild likes this post.

Have to concede that the Melbourne/Collingwood game was a shocker. Stoppage after stoppage.

Collingwood would have been beaten by 10 goals if it was't for Scott Pendlebury. (No 10 don't know her name).
    Ash Brazill, she used to play netball for West Coast Fever, now plays for Magpies Netball side.

Collingwood were terrible, 133 disposals (31 of them handballs), at only 50% efficiency. No surprise with such poor disposal that they equalled the lowest score for an AFLW game, 9 points (by GWS v BL, R4 2017 and GWS v CAR, R2 2018).

I watched the five minutes of highlights of the MEL v FRE game last week and that game looked like a decent game of football. If Freo can replicate that effort week after week, they could challenge for top 2 in Conference A (ADE, FRE, MEL, NM and WB).
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    I've held you in high regard on your footy knowledge Paul for a long time...But to hear that you watched 5 minutes of this crap, severely challenges that opinion.

As punishment go and watch the 2005 and 2006 grand finals and get a proper opinion of what a decent game of footy looks like..
    edited February 2019
    I should clarify, when I said "decent game of football", I wasn't comparing it to an AFL game, I was comparing it to other games of the AFLW that I had seen in previous seasons.

Chariotsonfire, RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    OKAY...pedestal position has been reinstated...Thanks for clarifying ;-) haha

Manchild likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Yes, apples with apples
    PAUL said:

If Freo can replicate that effort week after week, they could challenge for top 2 in Conference A (ADE, FRE, MEL, NM and WB).

Well it looks like it is going to be fairly competitive in that Conference, 'cos in that last round, all five teams won.  Second week in a row, Fremantle have kicked the highest score of the round. 

GWS (B) 23-48 NM (A)
    COL (B) 9-26 MEL (A) 
    WB (A) 34-16 GEE (B) 
    CAR (B) 44-57 ADE (A) 
    FRE (A) 67-40 BL (B) 

LADDER 
    A: NM 2-0, WB 2-0, FRE 2-0, ADE 1-1, MEL 1-1. 
    B: BL 1-1, GEE 1-1, GWS 0-2, COL 0-2, CAR 0-2.
    edited February 2019
    An early contender for miss of the year, unopposed at the top of the goal square!

https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/1099200233479692288?s=19

RIO likes this post.

The conference system is working well in AFLW.

The third team n Conference A played the top team in Conference B on the weekend and had 19 scoring shots to one after the 7 minute mark in the first quarter.

RIO likes this post.

• BlacksAFakeBlacksAFake    2,372 posts
    PAUL said:

An early contender for miss of the year, unopposed at the top of the goal square!

https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/1099200233479692288?s=19

Hey Paul,would u like to put the tackle she did on the weekend up??
    I wouldn’t argue with her :-S 8-X

Hey Paul, would u like to put the tackle she did on the weekend up??
    I wouldn’t argue with her :-S 8-X

I didn't watch the game on the weekend but a quick search on Twitter and I'm assuming you were referring to this one.

https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/1104646534740697088?s=19
    edited March 2019

The conference system is working well in AFLW.

The third team n Conference A played the top team in Conference B on the weekend and had 19 scoring shots to one after the 7 minute mark in the first quarter.
    The Conference concept this year was stupid, should have just played the extra two weeks, nine rounds plus finals for proper equity in the competition.

The Bulldogs ended up being the only team from Conference A to lose to a Conference B side, losing to both Brisbane and Carlton. Interesting though, if you took out the three cross-conference games, the four finalists wouldn't have changed, if fact only the bottom two sides changed (by percentage) but the ladders would look much closer and no one probably would have queried it.

Conference A
    ADE 3-1, FRE 3-1, NM 2-2, WB 1-3, MEL 1-3.
    Conference B
    CAR 3-1, GEE 3-1, GWS 2-2, COL 1-3, BL 1-3.

With the AFL's reluctance to extend the season and with 14 teams next season, conferences will be here to stay. It wouldn't surprise me if they adopt the 2 x 7 team system, where the teams only play each other once in their own conference (would include a bye per team due to the odd number of teams) and then play extended finals (probably a top 4 for each conference). i.e. 1st A v 4th A, 2nd A v 3rd A, 1st B v 4th B, 2nd B v 3rd B and then switch over in the 2nd week of finals (highest winner from A v lowest winner from B, highest winner from B v lowest winner from A), so that if the two best teams are from the one conference, they could still playoff in a Grand Final.
    Hold up - just checking care factor...............
    Nope, not registering.

Manchild, RIO likes this post.

PAUL said:

... and then play extended finals (probably a top 4 for each conference). i.e. 1st A v 4th A, 2nd A v 3rd A, 1st B v 4th B, 2nd B v 3rd B and then switch over in the 2nd week of finals (highest winner from A v lowest winner from B, highest winner from B v lowest winner from A), so that if the two best teams are from the one conference, they could still playoff in a Grand Final.

Or alternatively have 1st A v 4th B, 2nd A v 3rd B, 3rd A v 2nd B, 4th A v 1st B, so that if the four best teams were from the one conference, they'd have a chance of playing off in a Grand Final.