G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 17 Non Members

Biggest Wins and Losses On The Punt Any Code

Harness & Greyhounds
Chariots got me thinking - when he said he had $2000 on Preaux Chavilier

Well ive got 3 - and you have to mention your losses as well as your wins

I will  start with the local scene- back in the 80s there was this grey galloper - sprinter called Flying Pharoah - and it used to run  in 1000 metre  sprints at Ascot - and it would be up their 4-5 wide contesting the lead - it used to carry its head real high - it used to run cheeky races - run about 6th beaten  3 and a half lengths . Any how they took it to Bunbury - 1400 metre welter - and they all said this squib wont get the trip . Mark Sestich rode it - dont care what anyone says - he was a champion jockey not many better than him . Brendan  Clements rode the 3s on favourite . I went their - it was 100 degrees boy it was it hot - had $100 e/w the grey horse at 8-1 . Sestich walked them in front - at the top of the straight when everyone thought it would give up - Sestich booted it - and it won by 4 lengths . I can still see the bookie wince when i gave him the ticket to collect

My biggest win by far - was over in Sydney at Randwick - at the time the stock market (87 i think ) had just crashed - i had borrowed money to invest in shares - i didnt even bother adding up the total - the mess i was in - the loans far exceeded the shares - however i was working - so i could pay it off - however i thought im going to get serious with the punting on the racing - and i did very well - predominantly the gallops - i would go to the Sat meeting - and i would have the 1 bet each week $500 E/W . Best win was at Randwick - Bluerica was the name of the horse $500e/w at 8-1 - could only get $300 on with one bookie - however there was this other bookie - Hec someone -old bloke - he snaffled up the other $700 much to his detriment . Johny Marshall rode  it - he put the stick away at the 100 metre mark - i was high up in that public grand stand . Darren Beadmen rode the runner up and fave Regal something for Bobby Thompson

My biggest loss by far - believe it not it was a greyhound . Wentworth Park - this dog ive never forgotten its name Footrot Flyer . Just like the pacers - like youd have all these horses called Franco something - well there were all these dogs at that time called Footrot something . Anyhow this dog was drawn box 1 - it was even money - and i had an even $1300 the win on it . It led on its ear - it was 3 in front approaching the 1st turn - then this collective moan came accross the crowd - it ran off and got beat
+1 -1

Ridersonthestorm33, VillageKid likes this post.

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    1996 - 2k on Essendon just to make the Grand Final - 4/1 ($5).

Lost first final to Brisbane by a kick - but get another chance at the MCG following week and dispose of the Eagles easily.

Now just need to knock off Sydney in Sydney to make the GF, could have won it in the last quarter several times - think led by 17 points at one stage - they were very gutsy.

Plugger Lockett kicks point after the siren - 10k slips through the fingers.
    That was the game were Andrew Dunkley whacked James Hird from pillar to post and black eye seen on Hird collecting his Brownlow Medal comes from that game.

Not to worry would have given it all back but would've been a good ride while it lasted!

VillageKid likes this post.

edited March 2019
    2013 Caulfield Cup - was a big first four carryover race.

Now never have any luck on those big races - could just scream in fact how close had come previously but no cigar.

This time said ok I'm going for it again.
    Spent quite a few hundred $ to have it for around 32% - typical Caulfield Cup 18 horses and wide open.

Left out the WA horse completely - Mr Moet and of course he has the run of the race, and looks a threat entering the straight, then their is a wall of them coming, don't know which way to look and who have I got or not got.

Listen hard to caller Greg Miles - and here comes Fawkner - yep good I've got him to win - flashing home out wide is Dandino - that's cool - and along the fence a roughie and a favourite of mine Dear Demi - now who's run 4th??!!!

Oh please give me a miracle - the commentator calls it and fair dinkum nope don't have it - but hey has he called it correct ?

Thank goodness he hadn't and a horse Damian Oliver rode ran 4th. Was a massive run too - took off early in the race. Might have been called All The Good or something like that.

Went from devastation to elated in a second. Think paid around 14k and that was a huge divvy - NSW and Queensland far less.

Just checking the wallet now - yep they got it all back!

Markovina, VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.

edited March 2019
    Jet Away was the name of the horse that ran 4th for Damian Oliver - David Hayes trained - was the run of the race, took off before acceptances!

Had one more run - ran a warm favourite a couple of weeks later in the McKinnon - unplaced and pulled up lame.

All The Good think was a Godolphin horse who actually won a CC.
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    I owned a horse in a midweek Ascot meeting race. It was having its 2nd start. 1st start he had finished 5th or 6th ridden by brad parnham. Pre race, report comes out and trainer thinks horse is going bloody well and will be somwhere in the finish.

Do the form on the tuesday, notice that a horse we raced against on debut was also in the race. Do the replays, and this horse, after a torrid run beats us home by a placing or two. I then note that brad is now on said horse and not sticking with ours... alarm bells for my horse but i let that digest and then the brain starts doing summersaults when i see the price of the horse brad is riding.... $61 fixed. A score is on the cards.

Have a nice bet, win only. Put half on fixed and half on the tote. Race is run and as i thought the horse ridden by brad shits in. Go in and see my horse in the mounting yard who has finished back in the pack, then notice the tote board - it paid $90 the win on the tote. Couldnt beleive my eyes.

Oh, and this horses name? None other than Swift Sis. Now winning races at flemington in the makybe diva colours.
    edited March 2019
    About October 1997 - think it was 2k or 3k a place ( it was decent ) a mare named Lady Galewood at GP in a standing start - pinged to the front, one of the faves galloped away, that'll help - led into the straight and hit the brick wall. Unusual extremely strong breeze that evening. Ran about 5th and well beaten. Took about 5/4 or 11/8 something like that. Think a reinsman named Vella drove or possibly Fry. Got fried myself.

A matter of weeks or months later, grab Saturday's morning newspaper and she's won at Richmond Raceway at 66/1 or better! Nice reading that was.

Had 1k to invest and thought the 1992 Melbourne Cup was a deadset two horse race between Veandercross and Subzero.

These were the options.
    1. Back them both.
    2. Hit them hard in trifecta and first four betting - to run 1,2 or 1,3.
    3. Just back Subzero - he's a much better price and with the rain arriving will lap that up.
    4. Put it all on my favourite horse Veandercross.

Chose option four. To make matters worse a decent roughie ran 4th and the first four dividend was huge. Even the trifecta on two fancied runners paid very well. Veandercross finished up going around a fairly short priced fave for a Melbourne Cup - think was around 7/4 2/1 by start time.

His win on the on the Saturday before the Cup was one of the best wins have seen - missed the kick and badly held up for a run, similar in a way to the Lohnro win and just as good.
    When punters hear the name Veandercross they often think of unlucky in the Caulfield Cup and Melbourne Cup - sandwiched in between was one of the greatest wins ever, it's somewhere on the net or You Tube.
    edited March 2019
    Must have been GP Lady Galewood won at because the Port would have been finished by then, but she definetly won at cricket score odds.

Another good replay on the net is a certain Golden Slipper - had seen a horse with a powerful motor - going to have a crack at this - out to Ascot venture by taxi - wonderful eastern states ring out the back they had.

So started loading the pineapples on a horse by the name of Octagonal - cut a long story short - got along way back as was his pattern then not much luck and fair dinkum powered home to run a close second, certainty beaten. Grant Cooksley rode.

Winner turned out to be a very good horse too - Flying Spur - Glenn Boss. ( He rode him a treat of course).
    Spur and Ocky both deceased now as is Veandercross. It's only fleeting their time.

Octagonal came very close to being a Golden Slipper - Cox Plate victor.

Caught a taxi to the track that day but it was a lot further walk home!

Still enjoy the racing/trotting game as much as ever and a small dabble.
    Were and are the big bets worth it ? Not on your nelly!

savethegame likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    superfecta betting in Sydney......Friend and i thought we had perfected near on a full proof system, the cost was $5040 to be played in ten horses fields,so trialed it over two month period  bingo perfect no failures as even with only ten horse fields the  dividend  still could  run into tens of thousands.

The time had come no more pussyfooting  got account in Sydney ready to go system was based on your two lynch pins running in the first six be it 1,2,1,3 or even 5,6, with six other runners. to make extra sure we lobbed a nine horse field drop one out that. can't run in the first six    we both settle on wakool ash at 33 to one the only horse not allowed to run  in first six ,even put a longer price horse in trained by john hawkes in the eight emery at 40/1 it runs third you guessed it wakool ash ran fifth.divvy was over 80k. perfect system up in smoke first go.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited March 2019
    Read an article recently about young students male and female getting hooked with the online gambling and becoming heavily involved in Sports betting. Interesting times.

About 1981 or 82 me and a school mate were keen on the sports, he wrote to the Tab and suggested they get involved in Sports betting.

The reply from the Tab at the time went along these lines - we have little interest in persuing sports betting because it wouldn't attract much business and will never get off the ground.
    Then went on with a few more points as to why it wouldn't work. Hmmmmm.
    Gosh wish had a copy of the reply letter!

Now a billion dollar industry and just like us back then it's become very appealing to young people - except now delivered on a plate ( tablet ).
    edited March 2019
    Played the Superfectas on rare occasions stg - if a small field and or a jackpot race - got the solitary one - Tie The Knot a hot fave won the race, just 8 or 9 in it, didn't pay huge, but was ok. Was a bit unlucky because had the second horse Universal Prince to win as well and he got quite close on the line and was about 7/1 from memory.

Was determined to get one of those buggers and litterally got one!

They were the "flavour of the month" for awhile but then mysteriously shafted. Think abit more to meets the eye as to why.
    The colgate kid top trainer reinsman chris glesson got life over a superfecta race he was driving  the odds-on favourite cut through its hopples leaving them attached by a thread so at release  point hopples broke and horse was retired from race so there wasn't to many tickets alive with the favourite not to run in first six a  tab operator on the job knew glessons brother had the field bar the fav

Shame hellva goodtrainer and driver as was his sister.. 

therealkramer likes this post.

edited March 2019
    No Flexi betting with Superfectas back in those days either. Hence only taking them on small fields and still could only manage the one collect.

Working out the cost was always a challenge too. With Flexi betting they would possibly work better now on the occasional race, preferably a small field - just like that Harold Park rort haha.
    edited March 2019
    Stg just recently in Victoria an IT fellow working for Tabcorp waited until just before the cut off time for unclaimed winning bet tickets - a matter of days before they expired - he worked out a way to collect on them, all was going along very nicely - collecting at will on some tickets - that was until a little old pensioner went down to collect his ticket just before expiry time - Ticket Paid!!

That got the ball rolling haha.

therealkramer likes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    Biggest win $6.1k($7.6k at odds on, won by a nose)
    Biggest loss: $4k
    Biggest winning day $7.5k
    Worst losing day: $15k 

Also baulked at having $10k on a $1.40 shot(Denman, Stan Fox Stakes) becos Ron Dufficy thought it was more of a $1.80 shot...I would have taken $1.45, but still, ALWAYS back yourself. NEVER listen to so-called experts. My advice is to put those pre-race muppets on mute 

edited March 2019
    ^^13.7k turnaround hanging by a thread on a nose photo. Spine tingling!
    edited March 2019
    A Sydney Cup several years ago - had a decent go at the quinella for $30 units - was an all or nothing bet at the time.

Well bugger me, 1st and 3rd, on cursing and leaving the tab, went to the shops and then headed for home, get back in the car - protest 3rd against 2nd, hells spells where are those tickets - found 'em.

Now for the wait, saw nothing during the race, think was for interference around 600-800 metres from home - a bit unusual.

Wasn't confident at all, but it began to go for awhile - keep going!
    Protest - Upheld. Punch air!

Can't for the life of me recall the horses - perhaps that old stager County Tyrone might have been involved somewhere in the finish.

Now think the jockey who protested and needed to get the result - Ringa ding ding Pumper's the King!

Remember thinking at the time he might not be that popular with the stewards, and got a feeling the hoop he protested against was Shane Dye. Two great orator's there.

Fairy sure they were the two involved anyway - must try to find that race - but definetly 3rd against 2nd upheld - the correct decision haha.
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited March 2019

^^13.7k turnaround hanging by a thread on a nose photo. Spine tingling!

It was the same day that a passed up the $10k bet, had the losing $4k bet and then swung for the fences with a $7.6k bet. Talk about swings and roundabouts. But I'd just flown back from Melbourne where the previous night I bet $4k to win $3k and it won by a nose, too. That was when the Manikato was run weeks before the Cox Plate-late August or early September I think.

I think I was up $27k over a six week span and probably handed back $20k in the end. Felt like I lost it all but I was on a hell of a run. Probably haven't ever got back to half that sort of volume of bets ever since and bookies wouldn't let you on for those amounts these days anyway-this was a decade ago.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts

Not exactly a punting story but a Bookmaker’s version
    thereof.

I am going to shelf myself completely here but I am sure
    many have worked out who I am anyway and I see no need to hide behind a nom de
    plume to protect myself.

The name Our Ian Mac was mentioned in the Memory Lane
    threads and it brought back some very bad memories of its 1987 Pacing Cup
    Win.  The full story was stranger than
    fiction and from my perspective it was the perfect storm.

Our Ian Mac was an MO before final acceptances and had to
    win one to qualify which it duly did, not overly impressively and was not at
    prohibited odds.

I bet pre-post on the Pacing Cup as I did most years and
    even to this day I am not sure why I did as my record on this form of betting
    was not good. I bet 100/1 Our Ian Mac and laid one bet of $100,000 to $1,000
    (approx. $250k with inflation today). I also laid it at 33/1 and 20/1 on the
    way down. It was suggested on another thread that Kim Loxton was involved with
    the plunge but he did not back it with me and I was the only bookmaker betting
    pre-post. The $100k bet was placed by a punter closely connected to Trevor
    Warwick’s stable at the time.

Anyway it qualified for the final and the barrier draw was
    held in the Golden Nugget Room and this is where the drama went to another
    level. Barrier draw was to be decided by connections pushing a plunger which
    was to light up the barrier draw in the infield by fireworks.

First to push a plunger were the connections of Village Kid
    and it drew barrier one much to my relief. Village Kid would now be 1/3 or
    shorter and looked a certainty. It had won the two previous Pacing Cups and
    then won the two after this one.

The second plunger was pushed by the connections and nothing
    happened in the infield. After a delay of about an hour with technicians
    running around everywhere it was decided that the problem could not be fixed.
    Stewards declared that the Village Kid barrier would stand and all other
    barriers would be drawn by marbles. The connections of one of the horses (not
    Our Ian Mac) objected strongly to this decision and eventually the connections
    of Village Kid agreed to an entirely new barrier draw.

Our Ian Mac drew well, Village Kid poorly. Our Ian Mac had a
    perfect trail one/one and sprinted over the leaders. To add salt to the wound I
    watched the race on the northern steps of the Golden Nugget Stand and the bloke
    behind me said to his mate “My boss has a runner in this so I hope it wins” and
    then he proceeded to barrack for Our Ian Mac for the entire race. The final
    dagger.

My liability by the time the race was run was the equivalent
    of a two bedroom apartment.

As constant reminder of my folly the wife of the owner
    bought a pink Mercedes Sports with my money and it was at GP on most Friday
    nights in that era. It exploded the myth that all Bookies drove Mercedes.   

Our Ian Mac did very little after its Pacing Cup win and may
    not have won another race but I am not certain of that.

My Bank Manager was not pleased at the time but we lived to
    fight another day.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    I think your benevolence may also have kick started the Hannans Boulevard shopping centre in Kalgoorlie  @chariotsonfire .....think of it as a sacrifice to the good of the community ....won't ease the pain but fair dinkum.....the pink Merc would have hurt......its a cruel world.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,888 posts
    The connections of Village Kid - giving up gate 1 at GP  (  and would have been unbeatable )  after the stewards said  it would stand - very sporting of them - but thats the 2nd craziest thing ive ever heard re barrier draws big races

Gai Waterhouse still holds that mantle by a million miles . Singletons horse - in the Cox Plate - Gai had the option -  the luxury of choosing - yeah i will have barrier 13 - the ouside gate on that saucer track Moonee Valley - with a short run from the starting barriers to the 1st turn

Singleton said he went to every form analyst there was - and not one of them could give him a leg up for the outside gate at the Cox Plate start

Unbelievable
    That's what recall the most - the perfect one out one back trail, and not being caught up in a pocket from that position, always had room to manoeuvre and looked the goods a fair way out did Our Ian Mac.

Wow that was a big payout.

• OffthebitOffthebit    597 posts
    Fantastic story chariots. Well, fantastic for us the readers, not so fantastic for you!! Feel free to share many more bookmaking stories from the 80's & 90's. 
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Offthebit said:

Fantastic story chariots. Well, fantastic for us the readers, not so fantastic for you!! Feel free to share many more bookmaking stories from the 80's & 90's. 

Will do so when I have the time and inclination.

I thought about writing a book but this is easier as I can do it increments.
    Btw @Chariotsonfire....I am operating on memory here but I think the original $1 K bet with you was a combined outlay including some solid percentages from the aforementioned goldfields connections. They were pretty heady days.

Markovina said:

Gai Waterhouse still holds that mantle by a million miles . Singletons horse - in the Cox Plate - Gai had the option -  the luxury of choosing - yeah i will have barrier 13 - the ouside gate on that saucer track Moonee Valley - with a short run from the starting barriers to the 1st turn

Singleton said he went to every form analyst there was - and not one of them could give him a leg up for the outside gate at the Cox Plate start

Unbelievable

Marko goggle a four corners program' horses for courses'. 1986 tony jones won a wakley award for it a court injunction was lodged by the waterhouses to try and stop it going to air. the picture might be a different colour.-re more joyous

• Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts
    Since Chariots outed himself to the people that didn’t already know who he was I’ll do the same and tell my story but the figures aren’t quite as large!
    Had sourced and purchased an untried 2yo from NZ for a stable client for not an overly large figure anyway we were based in Albany at the time he rolled in and we had another smart 2yo in work at the time who had been tried. Both did all their fast work together and the recent NZ purchase was convincingly beating the other on the track. We nominated them both to race at Narrogin but the 2yo for that week didn’t hold up but the next week it did, So the night before the meeting rolls around and bet365 had him $5.50 and our other runner favourite. After a few calls around to make sure the people that knew he was a reasonable horse didn’t snipe the bet365 odds we started working out how much we could get on him. Next day comes and price is untouched and the other books copy and paste the same prices, myself and the owner on 3-4 different accounts each got as much as we could on, first time I’ve ever seen tabtouch suspend betting on a market without taking down the prices. Anyway we backed him down from 5.50 to around 1.50 he led and won untouched we took a touch north of 35k on him, after breaking down in both front tendons he now races twice a week impressively for Tony Svilivich

Markovina said:

Unbelievable

Marko goggle a four corners program' horses for courses'. 1986 tony jones won a wakley award for it a court injunction was lodged by the waterhouses to try and stop it going to air. the picture might be a different colour.-re more joyous
    In that program towards the end it features a fella called alan woods a card counter he was 41 or 42 then,...…... he passed away 2008  with 670millon and was regard as one of the. worlds biggest horse racing  punters&.hong kong  was were he puntered and made his fortune

• JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts

Our Ian Mac did very little after its Pacing Cup win and may
    not have won another race but I am not certain of that.

Didn't do much before or after Chariots....of his $190k in stakes over his lifetime, most (north of $120k) came from his Pacing Cup win. Won a couple in NZ before coming to WA and I think (not certain) he did okay in some Moonee Valley series, where they ran ran heats or preludes or repechages....maybe the Winfiled Cup?? or Hunter Cup?? in the late 80's .....but for the life of me, based on form and ability, and proven subsequently by his very modest record,  how he could possibly have  been  backed with any sort of confidence pre post a Pacing Cup, with Village Kid in the field ....and then to have a mysterious "break down" in the Barrier Draw process after Village Kid drew 1.....is beyond belief. I'd have been calling Hercule Poirot myself. Whilst not actually smelling a figurative rodent, then surely the faint odour of mouse droppings  was in the house.

Offthebit said:

Will do so when I have the time and inclination.

I thought about writing a book but this is easier as I can do it increments.
    Humour us and give us the eccentricities and superstitions ( all punters have them ) of some of your adversaries over the years Chariots. No names no pack drill required and in your own time of course. The betting ring brings out the best, worst and funniest sides to us all in my experience.  
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts

Markovina said:

Unbelievable

Thanks for that STG, that was a very interesting watch I must say!!!

savethegame likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    I sadly purchased a copy of the Bill Waterhouse Story "What Are The Odds". There is not a single word mentioning "The Palace" Casino or Alan Woods......It was like reading a copy of Little Red Riding Hood where the big bad wolf showered the little kiddies in the woods with gifts of candy and a warm comfortable home on a cold winters night.