G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 2 Non Members

WA Derby Day Preview, 13th April

West Australian Racing
PerthTurfTalkPerthTurfTalk    3,054 posts

On a quick personal note, I just wanted to thank everybody who contacted my old man or myself after last weekend’s quite incredible Karrakatta win. In particular I’d like to thank Mario Di Lena who did a lot of the early leg work in finding a suitable nag to help achieve our dream, Jay Rooney who wrote a brilliant article in The West and the Pearce stable who asked the old boy to collect the Karrakatta despite it being their biggest achievement in racing to date. Incredible gesture.

It was a day I’ll never forget and still feels quite surreal, considering the circumstances. We would have been content winning a standard metro two-year-old event! I think the old boy covered most of everything else I wanted to say in his Karrakatta acceptance speech (still coming to terms with the fact this actually happened). Just a big thankyou to everyone.

Onto WATC Derby Day. Rail back at the TRUE position, and the historical data suggests that’ll be advantageous to those on pace.

Race 1 - In Style

With the scratching of Silkinize, this race looks at the mercy of the unbeaten Lou Luciani filly, Pretty Style. Has won with a bit in hand at both race starts to date and should be able to settle prominently again and be hard to get past.

High Range has trialled nicely, but it would take a fair effort to get past the race fit and experienced Pretty Style on debut. At $1.60 after the scratching of Silkinze, we’ll leave this as a no bet race. Only danger involved taking shorts about the babies.

Selections

1 Pretty Style

5 High Range

3 Annihilator

6 Instant Hit

Suggested Bet: No bet.

Race 2 - Crypto’s Currency

Two runners really stand out in this maiden. Sarah Childs brings Crypto to town after an awfully unlucky effort at Geraldton at his second career start. It’s rare I’ll take much notice of a pari-mutuel price but the $1.20 the win and $1.00 flat for the place Crypto started must have left some tote punters feeling a little bit ill. Crypto found every ass in the straight when absolutely bolting - I can’t imagine those punters will be watching many replays of the race. Bit concerned about the drop to 1200m (from the 1400m) here and the fact he’s travelling to town. In saying that, if you take a look at his run against third favourite Megazone on the 21st of March, it is hard to see that galloper turning the tables.

With the drop in distance some concern, I’m going to opt for the William Pike ridden Boyagin on top. Started a big quote on debut, when never on the track but still hammered the line to run third behind Tycoon Mikado and Family Discussion, who have made that form look more than adequate. Recent trial under the young apprentice was good, and with a lack of speed in this event I am expecting some positive tactics from Pike out of the gates. Happy having him on top.

A big watch on Palachino who may well be the most talented animal in this race, but does do a lot wrong. A difficult ride for Kate Witten, but if she can get him out and racing cleanly then she can win.

Crypto is $6 to $3.2 in the early markets, pushing Boyagin out to around the $4 mark - that’s enough for me.

Selections

7 Boyagin

6 Crypto

12 Palachino

5 Megazone

Suggested Bet: 50 wins Boyagin (7).

Race 3 - Who’s Turn?

The third looks a complete lottery with five runners you could throw a blanket over.

Geiger Gem is as tough as old boots and is racing with tremendous zest. It’ll lead and should get it relatively soft. The worry will be if Jade McNaught goes a little bit too slowly out in front as this fellow’s strength is to really run them along and fight on late. If she goes too slow he could left a sitting duck late for a New Age, Superior Smile or Universal Mae.

Yeah Bravo the interesting runner after winning on the short back-up recently.

If you can shop each way ($2+ a place) about one of Geiger Gem, New Age, Superior Smile or Universal Mae then that is probably the play.

Selections

7 Universal Mae

2 New Age

1 Geiger Gem

3 Superior Smile

Suggested Bet: No bet.

Race 4 - Arthur’s Abbey

Another extremely even bunch, but an easy on top selection for me. With the rail at the TRUE position it is highly likely we’ll see a day dominated by horses on speed again and I am expecting Mollie Clark to fire Kensington Abbey straight to the top. Her run first up when she SP’d at over $100 was quite incredible. Arguably she goes close to winning if not held up the entirety of the straight. Looked to be absolutely bolting. Arthur trains his horses hard and they are always extremely difficult to get past when out in front. When she wins it is at a big price, so at $30 in a small field, she looks a great each way investment.

Touch Of Silver is flying and could even hold the back of the speed from 1, while there is next to nothing between Friaresque, Like A Butterfly and Arctic Stream. 

Another race where the best ride wins, so I am happy taking the value.

Selections

3 Kensington Abbey

4 Touch Of Silver

2 Like A Butterfly

1 Friaresque

Suggested Bet: 25 wins and 25 places Kensington Abbey (3).

Race 5 - Hearing Correctly?

This is an intriguing race with William Pike opting to ride Altani over Final Hearing. Final Hearing looked the obvious selection (outside of Cup Night) on paper and seeing Pike opt for a non-Peters runner is a pointer which probably can’t be understated. Hearing Darren Mcauliffe speak this morning and basically tell us that Altani is better than Winx (tears), makes it a little bit easier to fathom. The win in a recent Albany maiden genuinely means nothing, with every runner in this race winning by the same, or even a bigger margin. Previous trials have been OK and at her only race start she was fair at best. Presuming Pike fires her straight to the top here and it’ll be a really interesting watch. I’ve priced her nearly $10, after listening to D-Mac it sounds like she should be $1.50. I’ll stay out.

Cup Night has been afforded two perfect rides by Patrick Carbery so far this preparation and there is no reason the same won’t happen again. Looks a nice horse for Bernie Miller.

I am however going to tip Chris Parnham to again win another feature event on a cerise and white runner. Final Hearing has been given a little freshen up since an honest effort behind Platoon over the 1800m of the JC Roberts Stakes. That was arguably a bit too far for him. Previous efforts around Angelic Ruler, Creative Hero and Regal Power put him in this up to his eyeballs. Form barrier 3, Chris Parnham can give him a nice cuddled up run just off the speed and launch late. Bob wins most of these three year old features.

Henty Gal is the long shot of the field but should be shorter than Classic Pro, Rebel Knight and definitely Shuwish who is $50/1 here. Has finally drawn a gate, it is just a shame for connections that Chris Parnham has switched allegiances.

Small win bet on Final Hearing in the 7 horse field with Altani not in my top 4. I know how this will end...

Selections

2 Final Hearing

1 Cup Night

5 Henty Gal

4 Classic Pro

Suggested Bet: 40 wins Final Hearing (2).

Race 6 - Mollie Mollie

Throwing a bit of caution to the wind and tipping a Mollie Clark double. I have an absolute stack of time for High Tea, but the stable seems determined to stick with 3 and 4kg claiming apprentices. The selling point to me here was the barrier and the fact Mollie should be able to let her roll, with cover just off the speed. This is her first go at the 1800m, so that is definitely a question mark but I liked the way she chased Murray The Bulldog on a hot speed last time out and was by far, the strongest horse late. Can make a sustained move at Beaucount with the 52kg’s if necessary.

Beaucount is the obvious top pick, but I couldn’t live with myself taking the $3.50 about a horse who took forever to finally break through. Was finally ridden like a horse with ability last time out and the more cagey ride from Ryan Hill was the difference. He may be forced to dig it up out of the gates with Vigneto and Twentythree Red both keen on coming across.

Magical Charm will be heading to a dispersal sale soon, while Spiritual Warrior and Make Mine Champers will be hitting the line hard late. Summer’s Skye is not suited by the drop in distance. Looks an out and out stayer.

High Tea each way at a double figure quote. Not sure if it is my ‘best bet’ of the day, but it is my favourite bet of the day, which I am not entirely sure what that means. Deduce from that what you like.

Selections

6 High Tea

3 Twentythree Red

1 Beaucount

7 Spiritual Warrior

Suggested Bet: 35 wins and 35 places High Tea (6).

Race 7 - Holding All The Aces

This is really a value and track pattern selection, but in a 1200m dash when the rail is at the true position, an in form lightly weighted speedster will always be hard to get past. For that reason, More Aces is my on top pick.

Had not necessarily been in bad form, just hadn’t found a race it could lead in until it did so last time out. Gave a nice kick, but River Dance who had his back, was too strong late. Dropped off Seeker who sat on his outside that day. Expecting Ryan Hill to simply jump and run and be in front for a long way, as the punters ask Jason who?

Special Reward is the obvious selection here after living up to his earlier career hype. Was challenged by Diablerie at the 100m mark, but responded like a serious race horse to go away from him. Does meet Diablerie 3kg’s worse at the weights and does step up against the big boys here, but I think he is the real deal. He possibly ends up outside of More Aces in this and there has to be some question marks if he can do it at both ends in a race which might have some tempo to it.

Diablerie and Seeker (who is better suited with a sit) get the camp on the leaders and look the main dangers.

Happy having something each way on More Aces here, with an increased bet size if the track plays with the expected bias.

Selections

9 More Aces

11 Special Reward

8 Diablerie

5 Seeker

Suggested Bet: 35 wins and 35 places More Aces (9).

Race 8 - Full Power

Regal Power has a complete stranglehold on this market and rightly so. Was a good thing beaten in the JC Roberts, before completely outclassing and outstaying his opponents in the Melvista Stakes. The barrier is sticky, but I suspect Pike will know the strength of this runner and will remember his brother Action winning this race last year when asked to make a sustained move. It should be a matter of how far.

Really like Without Reason to run second. If Troy Turner can get him out of the machine and use the barrier, he’ll be in this for a long way. Is a big loping horse who isn’t likely to run flashing late sectionals, but can sustain a nice run if held up until the 800m mark. $4.40 for him to run a place looks the value in this event.

Cockney Crew should be in front for a long way and I suspect the instructions won’t be to rack and stack like they did last time out. Peter Hall will be going for home from the 800m mark.

Regal Power is a clear on top selection, but we’ll make the suggested bet Without Reason for the place. Far better value at the $4.40 compared to the $1.60 of Regal Power. For those exotic players, I’d be keen on standing out Regal Power the win and use Without Reason as your roving banker through the remaining spots.

Selections

1 Regal Power

4 Without Reason

3 Cockney Crew

2 Platoon

Suggested Bet: 80 places Without Reason (4).

Race 9 - The Need For Speed

Time To Trade, M’Lady, Khan, Dia De La Raza, Double Bubble and Red Glow should make this an extremely hotly run affair. I am expecting this to really suit the sharp sprinters here, especially over the 1100m and will tip that the final event goes to race tempo rather of track pattern.

Showcase is a dynamite sprinter who has won 4 from 7 over 1000-1200m and 0 from 12 past this distance. Clearly should be kept to sprinting trips. Tuned up with a nice trial and Pike will be the one looming large late. 

My Laina looks the other big sprinter who finally draws a gate after 9, 10, 11 at her last three. Can settle midfield and rattle off some serious late sectionals if getting the right gaps.

Happy to play both of these runners on a win only basis, with the bigger stake on the shorter Showcase.

Selections

4 Showcase

15 My Laina

10 Double Bubble

7 Hoboken

Suggested Bet: 50 wins Showcase (4). 30 wins My Laina (15).  

Comments

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    edited April 2019
    It was nice to see something good come from racing last week, even tho i was on tinsnip ew, i was happy your family got the win. Hopefully u get a few winners today.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• JellJell    1,201 posts
    Agree with Terry in race 4 & 6. Will also be dutching High Tea with Make Mine Champers in race 6. A bit more speed in that race which could set it up for Jade to run over the top only carrying 51kg.

Also don't mind Utgard Loki each way in the Derby at big odds. I think he's got a bit of potential as an on speed stayer. He wasn't a bad run in the Melvista after not looking settled in most of the run. Blinkers first time today, so I think Staeck will try to get him within 2 or 3 of the leader and switch him off then get him going a little bit earlier for the finish.
  • ColdyColdy    1,720 posts
    Had a few beers so time for a punt  :))
    Quaddie Donation:  1,3,4,7,8 / 2,8,11 / 1,2,11 / 4,9,10,11 
    ew
    Spiritual Warrior
    Just Act Natural
    Ping Me Another
    MLady