G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 24 Non Members

Comments

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Someone asked me yesterday about the free entry.
    I suggested it might be because all the fences (barriers to entry) have gone, therefore no choice - appears I was correct

RIO, Manchild likes this post.

• saxonsaxoffsaxonsaxoff    179 posts
    I noticed they are promoting $8 selected pints all season might have to go to a couple of meets with that on offer. 
    Yeah, I'm actually excited.
    Much more welcoming approach to it all.
  • psychopsycho    652 posts
    The poor long suffering members who have paid their entry already thru memberships are going to get what ? &^%$ all I am guessing

RIO, Jell likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    psycho said:

The poor long suffering members who have paid their entry already thru memberships are going to get what ? &^%$ all I am guessing

Been a long time since they got anything out of the club, so why should they change now. It used to be that you got to enjoy the big days in the members, now they sell tickets to anyone who can afford it and the members are just told that the club has to maximize its revenue raising opportunities!!!

but a good chance to engage with some smaller winter crowds this season.. Good move

psycho likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Im expecting a big belmont season for myself. Hopefully have a few runners and winners and pints

Tivers, psycho, thefalcon likes this post.

• psychopsycho    652 posts
    RIO said:

psycho said:

Been a long time since they got anything out of the club, so why should they change now. It used to be that you got to enjoy the big days in the members, now they sell tickets to anyone who can afford it and the members are just told that the club has to maximize its revenue raising opportunities!!!

but a good chance to engage with some smaller winter crowds this season.. Good move

I want more people at the races it is just that I have supported them for so many years I feel something in return is not a stupid request, they are screwing it up in many ways on their own back (no fault of mine) and so they should give us a "discount" on next years membership maybe. I do not think this is much to expect

RIO likes this post.

• JellJell    1,201 posts
    psycho said:

I gave up my membership with those turds long ago.

For me the final straw was renovating the general public area before the members area.

:-h :-h :-h

psycho, RIO likes this post.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    edited May 2019
    After attending numerous meetings in the UK recently I can tell you with an entry fee of at least half the price and amenities, food and drink...Belmont is a luxury in comparison.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    I agree psycho, and Jell that was exactly when i gave up..It was the year later i got told; that on the big race meet days the club would suggest most members not attend so that the club can sell even more tickets and raise funds so that the members can enjoy the facilities all year round!!!

I forget the GM at the time...Steven someone i think, but gee he was a pharkwit.... It was the era where they wanted to attract all the under 30's.. Argh the memories.. So many incompetent managers, it became clearly obvious that the Board continually hand picked manager after manager that were only interested in saying yes to everything the board wanted done. Young Chadwick could have been a great manager for the club, if he had been allowed to do his job...
    Racing Club membership (at Perth venues at least - can't speak for others) is much like restaurants whinging about food trucks and festivals etc.
    Times have changed. People don't want boring old formal restaurants etc any more.
    Likewise why pay for the privilege of accessing an area of the track four floors or whatever away from the action ?

RIO likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Dead right mate.

The members should be the most premium and sought after venue on the course. Sadly it isn't at both venues.
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    Years ago Ted used to bang on about the elitist feeling of being a member of Perth Racing. That's not WA, and now that money matters and the racecourse facilities like like a mine site, who cares ? The constant reminder of the enormity of the financial cockup that has been hoisted on the membership is at it's most stark at Belmont. Makes it a very comfortable and easy decision on my part to watch the coverage from afar.
  • DurtleDurtle    33 posts
    I can't type in this forum using tablet or mobile phone. Anyone know why? Belmont Park season is going to be the best ever.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    Caulfield has it right... ground floor, right near the mounting yard.

Chelsea, thefalcon likes this post.

TheDiva said:

Exactly.
    It's all **** about here.
    (Not that I'm complaining - if they changed / fixed it I'd have to fork out for membership).

Still very optimistic they will discover over the next few months that this model we're about to use is actually the way to go - through the gates (sic) open and make it an inviting place to attend.
    Get rid of the barriers and stuffiness, and generate some turnover.

Even Ascot last week (despite the gate) was great with the little Italian village, GREAT food at GREAT prices etc.................was the first time in months I actually enjoyed being in attendance (v's just having to be there as work).
    Ar$e is seriously a **** word ?

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    TheDiva said:

Doomben. although old and daggy is exactly the same. Members ground floor on the finish line
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    I went to the races Saturday. Got there before the sprint had to park miles away from the entrance, there were 3 other people waiting for the 1 golf cart I saw come back to pick us up to get into the course. cart arrives with driver and another worker. They said we will have to squeeze up to fit in one of the 3 other people who had been waiting for I don't know how long suggested that maybe the other worker get out and wait (normal reasoning one would think). Watching the race I went there to look at was deplorable with the screen above the semaphore board  stalling and catching up with the call. I walked back to my car after the second last because the golf cart was nowhere to be seen. And if they only had one cart working (I only saw the one) I would suggest the wait to be ferried back to the carpark after the last would have taken a considerable amount of time. The other thing I thought about was considering Belmont is our winter track where are the people going to get shelter when it rains seeing there is nothing there were you wait for the golfcart
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    What an absolute joke.
  • saxonsaxoffsaxonsaxoff    179 posts
    Forecast is for 20-40mm this saturday. Should be fun getting to the track from the carpark.
    edited June 2019
    I was there on saturday. I cant believe its all condensed down into that small little area now. Its fine for now when only 1000 people rock up, but for days when (if) bigger crowds show its a no go.

This thought about selling ascot and relocating everything to belmont is nothing short of a myth. Unless you want a capacity crowd of 1800 on railway stakes day and being shoulder to shoulder....

Also, not sure who made the call to get rid of the grass in the middle of the mounting yard but it looks hell ridiculous.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Went to Belmont for the Goldfields Reunion day last Wed. Inside upstairs the atmosphere and  bonhomie was like the KBRC Members after the last circa 1987. Elsewhere .....you almost felt as if you had to utter the words of Antarctic explorer Captain Lawrence Oates " I am going outside and may be some time". 

RIO likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    the bitumen in the mounting yard is incredible... Id have thought for safety some grass was needed, particularly for horses that are playing up? 

Oh gees that article makes for ugly reading X_X

curmudgeon likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    "Unsuccessful in attempting to buy some land back"...or in racing parlance, the bird has flown.

• RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    edited June 2019
    This video is from more than 6 years ago!

• goosegoose    1,628 posts
    Incredible it has come to this is there any point in staying at Belmont?? They are getting very little benefit from the stadium and the apartments could take decades to sell. Just sell the rest and concentrate on Ascot and another track?
    What are the reasons for staying?
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    Rodent said:

This video is from more than 6 years ago!

The gift that keeps giving Rodent
    =))

Rodent, VillageKid, Manchild, RIO likes this post.