G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 21 Non Members

Tim Walker-GPTV

Harness & Greyhounds
I've been sooking it up of late but have decided to soak up some racing and the content surrounding it.

Just wanted to give a massive wrap to Tim Walker with his GPTV interviews this week. A great product and really well presented, hats off.

Haven't been following the Twitter feed on friday nights bit I might check that out this week too.

Comments

• BetonmeBetonme    209 posts
    I was watching his interviews last night, agree, he is doing a terrific job. His question approach gives a great insight for punters. 

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Played footy with Tim's old man Ian (Choc) and Uncle Craig at Old Wesley ....he is bred well enough to be a real bonus...good honest contributors. Keep it up young fella.

VillageKid, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited May 2019
    I had a year at Old Wesley curmudgeon in a Colts team was a very good club and thoroughly enjoyed the season, joined about a quarter of the year through, got cleared from Trinity Aquinas - was a bit like gilga...but in this case sulking because couldn't get a game for T A's!

We made the first semi final at Leederville Oval but knocked over by Mt Lawley think it was. Good comp back then.

Wembley and North Beach two other teams recall as opposition teams, just forgotten the others, think Nollamara too. Perhaps North Fremantle and Bassendean too, Collegians another, quite awhile ago now.

VillageKid likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Geez, it's a small world on PTT. I was incarcerated in Wesley College for 5 years, along with fellow inmates Robinson, Harper(s) and Parker. Upon release, I went to Curtin Uni and captained a colts premiership when playing for Curtin Footy Club, which not long after,  merged with Old Wesley to form Wesley Curtin F.C. We beat Mount Hawthorn-West Perth in the GF at Leederville Oval, B Division WAAFL Colts in 1972.

edited May 2019
    Was one of the most enjoyable years I've had a sporting club...we were a battling team at Old Wesley - but had plenty of blokes with grit. They'd throw themselves into contests - which for a "receiver" like myself could come in handy!

We finished up coming from nearly last on the ladder to make a first semi final, the courage the kids showed meant some badly timed injuries by first semi final day.

Many names forgotten now but recall we had a very good full forward - Ken Pride and the skipper was Andrew Bockman and he lead from the front. Teriffic footballer. Mark Bradbury and Stewart Francis another two.

First semi final at Leederville - went into the game with soreness in two areas - at the one minute mark first quarter got hit in both places at the same time - it was thanks for coming from me - rarely sighted from then on.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    To add to the Wesley Curtin reunion Trent Cooper is a Life Member, Premiership Coach and multiple Fairest and Best Winner at the club.

Very well run club throughout its history with bookmaker Mark Hayter being a prime mover over the last decade or so.

The club has also produced coaches and administrators for the WAFL in Earl Spalding, Greg Harding, Marty Atkins and Trent.

Enjoyed the few years I spent at Old Wesley during the mid to late seventies. I was introduced to the club by the late Dexter Davies....another very good man.
    Closest we got under coach Steve (Bickies) Arnott was beaten in a preliminary final by University that boasted Simon Beasley at full forward from memory.
    Coincidentally I attended my first Goldfields Reunion at Belmont on wednesday and went along with someone I introduced to Old Wesley around 1978...John Duffy... father of former Docker and now Kentucky University punter Max Duffy.
    I would have to check with him but I am sure if not the President of Wesley Curtin when the amalgamation took place John was in that position soon after for a period. 

Tim's uncle Craig Walker was Wesley President the year I left and began working at Milson Lodge Stud. Later in the year we organised a bbq at the stud and a great roll up of Old Wesleyans got their first up close look at a harness racing and breeding setup. San Simeon was a 2 y/o that year. The place was picturesque then with a dozen or so peacocks and peahens to add colour. Sadly all you can see is rooftops where it once was...the old poplar lined driveway now invisible to the eye. 

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts

Was one of the most enjoyable years I've had a sporting club...we were a battling team at Old Wesley - but had plenty of blokes with grit. They'd throw themselves into contests - which for a "receiver" like myself could come in handy!

We finished up coming from nearly last on the ladder to make a first semi final, the courage the kids showed meant some badly timed injuries by first semi final day.

Many names forgotten now but recall we had a very good full forward - Ken Pride and the skipper was Andrew Bockman and he lead from the front. Teriffic footballer. Mark Bradbury and Stewart Francis another two.

First semi final at Leederville - went into the game with soreness in two areas - at the one minute mark first quarter got hit in both places at the same time - it was thanks for coming from me - rarely sighted from then on.

Hey Riders I believe Ken Pride is the current CEO of Bowls WA.
    I was working at Perth Footy Club coaching under 18's under Ken Armstrong (who had finished as League Coach and was in charge of Junior Development) when Ken Pride was playing Colts/Reserves for the Demons. Bit foggy on the year ......the up and coming star was a kid called Rhett Baynes who ended up at Carlton but sadly never made it.....around 1982'ish. Eddie Michalczyk was Colts coach, Noddy McAulay Reserves and Alan Joyce League....Joyce was less than successful at Perth in spite of having Bosustow and a host of other top line players.

JayJay said:

I was working at Perth Footy Club coaching under 18's under Ken Armstrong (who had finished as League Coach and was in charge of Junior Development) when Ken Pride was playing Colts/Reserves for the Demons. Bit foggy on the year ......the up and coming star was a kid called Rhett Baynes who ended up at Carlton but sadly never made it.....around 1982'ish. Eddie Michalczyk was Colts coach, Noddy McAulay Reserves and Alan Joyce League....Joyce was less than successful at Perth in spite of having Bosustow and a host of other top line players.

It must have been in 1980 JJ as Buzz went to Carlton in 1981 and the late Ken Armstrong replaced Peter Burton mid season in 1980 as Subiaco coach leaving his development position at Perth to take up the role.
    Joyce had replaced Armstrong for the 1980 season and had 2 years as Coach there before being replaced himself by Ian Miller in 1982.
    Yes the late Rhett Baynes was a talent he made his League debut for Perth in 1980 as only a 16yo and later went to Carlton in the mid 80s but it obviously didnt work out there unfortunately.
    Very sad story Rhett Baynes....yep, 1980 it was, I just dug out the year book. Ken Armstrong, one of the finest blokes you could ever hope to meet....appointing Joyce was a backward step for that club, everyone migrated away from the place.

edited May 2019
    Yes Ken Pride he was a real prescence up in the forward line - giant of young fella he was, have a feeling he missed that 1st semi final - think he may have been selected in the Old Wesley league team. He kicked bundles for us.

VK & JJ that would've been 82 he was at Old Wesley colts. Do recall him trying out for Perth Demons possibly 1983.

We trained down near Collier Oval - if the breeze was blowing just right can recall the old tip smells, now think a beautiful golf course around that area.

The great thing was playing at the all the league ovals.

VK you'll like this one - we were playing at Fremantle Oval - can't recall who against but it was a close one - one of our guy's marked and had a set shot from just metres out.

Well there's no time on - think they were flat 20 mins quarter's...this is going to put us in front with only moments to go - can recall running up to my teammate and said to him "mate kick it as far as you can - by the time they get the ball back it will chew up time" he did the best 70 metre torpedoe punt I've seen.

Bugger's like me even stretching the rules back then.

curmudgeon, VillageKid likes this post.

Smart footy Riders.