G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 27 Non Members

Yearling Sale Roulette

Harness & Greyhounds
Following on commentary on breeding re the 2 year old fillies races this Friday.....looked at the 2017 APG sale (they are rising 4 year olds) and the 200 yearlings offered in Melbourne, often considered to be the superior draft for the sales. Of the 200 offered, 28 went for $50k or more. In catalogue order, the following are the outcomes with any notable relatives in brackets, race name, best time and stakes earned as at 30/5/2019:

Lot 3  $50k Colt   Bettors Delight x Redhot Rita (Im Smoldering)   Firefront unraced
Lot 13 $57.5k Colt Mach Three x Serenity Franco (Mojo Major)   Ace Montana 2.1.8  $7.6k
Lot 17 $70k Colt Art Major x Shes Got It All (Reba Lord)   Unnamed
Lot 27 $60k Colt Somebeachsomewhere x Spirited Storm (The Storm Inside)  Firestorm Red 1.54.0 $63k
Lot 36 $65k Colt American Ideal x Three Eagles (Fly Like An Eagle)  The Ethletic  1.59.6 $15.2k
Lot 39 $50k Colt Art Major x The Good Times (Larrakeyah Lady)  Wild Man 1.57.5 $6.8k
Lot 44 $50k Filly Art Major x Tigress Franco ( Jaccka Taurus)  Tiger Storm 1.56.6 $14.2k
Lot 47 $55k Colt Art Major x Vista Bella (Out Of Sight) Unnamed
Lot 56 $50k Colt Mach Three x Aleppo Heiress (Trotting family) Four Bigmen 1.54.3 $68k
Lot 58 $50k Filly Bettors Delight x Alashell (Saabette) Single Tree Road 1.565.6 $51k
Lot 67 $95k Colt American Ideal x Allthatglittersisgold (Bling It On) Bletchley Park 1.53.6 $117k
Lot 70 $130k Colt Mach Three x Aston Villa (Yankee Rockstar) Zoliver 1.56.2 $17.8k
Lot 72 $55k Filly Art Major x Arctic Fire (Classy Filly) Rinjani 1 start unplaced
Lot 82 $115k Colt American Ideal x Beninjurd (Philadelphia Man) Centenario 1.53.4 $331k
Lot 100 $200k Colt  Art Major x Cyclone Betty ( Our waikiki Beach) Paramount Stride 2.00.3 $5.9k
Lot 113 $97.5k Colt Somebeachsomewhere x Gee R We There Yet(Another Party) Somehowsomeway 0 wins $1.25k
Lot 117 $85k Filly Bettors Delight x Glenferrie Shuffle (Our Hotshoe Shuffle) Zanadu 1.55.0 $20.3k
Lot 124 $70k Filly Bettors delight x Hexham Heartbeat (Royal Verdict) Our Ultimate Lucy 0 wins, $475
Lot 126 $75k Filly Bettors Delight x Hotinthecitytonite (Hot Shoe Shuffle) Delightful Jazz 1.58.6 $62.3k
Lot 132  $52.5k Colt American Ideal x Indigenous (Satans Dispute) Nostra Ideal 1.52.2 $43.3k
Lot 142 $90k Colt Bettors Delight x Left In Paris ((Left A Dream) Staley 1.59.3 $4.3k
Lot 150 $100k Colt Art Major x Limerick Star (Armalight) Abouttime 1.57.8 $35k
Lot 167 $62.5k Colt Art Major x Mendelico (Heaven Rocks) Major Delico 0 wins $7.1k
Lot 179 $105k  Colt Well Said x Musical Delight(Top Tempo) Young Rooster 1.58.3 $39k
Lot 184 $100k Colt Bettors delight x My Double Dream (Double Your Bet) His A Dreamer 0 wins, $4.5k
Lot 187 $50k Colt Art Major x Nightshade Franco (Nearea Franco) Stefsastar Unraced
Lot 191 $52.5 Colt Mach Three x O Narutac Bella (Perfect Sense) Famous Three 0 wins, $2.6k
Lot 200 $75k Colt Art Major x Quick Comment (Quick Draft) Catch A Moment 1.55.4, $47.9k

Just the four yearlings from the top 28 Sale price wise (over $50k)  that have returned their purchase price, with not a lot of high stakes juvenile races left in the season.

+1 -1

Gilgamesh likes this post.

Comments

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    First yearling sale went to in 1976..selling was done on a Monday  135 lots were sold for an aggregate 172,275 to average 1,276 for the two session sale....the highest price of the sale was 5,000 state record filly by bengazi  hanover out of tartan maid a oaks winner,

Brought a1/4 share in the highest price colt who was by Garry Rowan out of Maori Express purchase price was 4,250 money I was saving up for a car, was still walking to the pictures five years later,...…..But there was a big picture of him in the countryman after the sale ..That was in and around the G.T.falcon era see what they are worth today..

Looking back that was garry rowan 2nd crop my dad was adamant he would cut the mustard as a sire, just going through the old book you would of been better putting some of those mares to fence posts with some of these bulls credenatials at the time…….

Jay Jay any of these sires set breeding industry alight......Bandit n.z. Aqua Grandi, Barney Ewell, Bold Face,Bombora,Boona Boy,Broken Link, Colonel James Cutters Dream,Dividend James Second, Luigi Hanover,Master Flame,Nandina Gamecock imp. Prince Monowai, Prince Newton,
  • JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    Ummm....in a word STG, no. In fact it revives nightmares for me. At that same sale or maybe the year after, I bought 2 yearlings, one a filly by Dividend (pre Racy Prince days for Chris Hodgson) out of a Light Brigade mare for $1,100, who was slower than slow. At least she made it to the races as Youngcarla and did win a race at Trayning as I recall, but all I remember is that she shrunk for about 2 months after the sale and was next to useless. The other one was completely useless....by James Second for $400.....breaker (Jesse Moore) nick named her Mad Molly....think the buyers at that sale were the first humans she had ever set eyes on....never got to the naming stage and wrecked about 3 carts in her first week.

Of the above mentioned "sires"...a generous description......very little joy but it was a thin list to pick from in those days. Bandit was by Light Brigade out of a U Scott mare, just 15 winners, the best being Steves Boy who won 7 races around Albury. Aqua Grandi was a fair Aachen horse for the Harvey based Houghs but only left 7 pretty ordinary winners. Barney Ewell (foaled 1958) an old Chamfer horse, fair race horse, left just 3 winners, 2 of them pretty decent in Our Carette and Little Barney. Bold Face an old Peerless Peter horse from NSW left just 1 winner (Bold Arion who was out of a Kellett mare). Bombora by Crimean (very old colonial breeding).. I actually remember racing (just) ....think Miles had him or Burglar Bob....left 25 winners the best of which was Bombora Belle, Taragan, Bonn and Restoria (one of Bill Foys last horses). Boona Boy was a good horse for Alf Charleson/Tony Sangalli....by Nelson Direct bred up at Cunderdin by the Sheehans but only 4 winners and none any good. Broken Link....thinking he was trained by Les Robinson (not Laurie) around the time of Lady Maselle (Lord Maselle connection). Very well bred and performed horse by Stormyway but only sired 6 winners, best of which was Statelink, Dashing Link and the mare Kyree, who went on to produce Classic Link. At least he had good bloodlines and you could understand him having a try as a stallion. Colonel James I am pretty sure was a Trevor Scoby Smith horse, by James Hall and pretty handy in his day but only 3 winners (Colonel Wexford the best). Cutters Dream was Jack Cockell's by Lumber Dream, a good looker and a fair horse but only 4 winners from 90 foals, the best being Mirage Miss who went good. Dividend was bred on classic lines, by Tar Heel from an Adios mare, LTR of 1.56 and preceded Racy Prince at Chris and Margaret Hodgson's stud at Byford. Disappointed at stud but did produce 19 winners...Scarlet Dividend, Miss Heel, Classic Warrior and Bank Robyn for old Eric Elliot about the best but he was put to some pretty ordinary mares. James Second was a Les Steer horse, by James Hall, and a dam good racehorse but just 5 winners, none of note, and nothing as a broodmare sire, awful stats. Luigi Hanover....I must admit I had never heard of him...ordinary Tar Heel performer but he left 66 winners and a few top liners but only in NSW where he got pretty good mares, left nothing in WA. Master Flame was a very good horse, by Triple Play from Flamora, I think George Mc Alpine had him but ended up with Frank Gilbert of Garry John fame, threw 9 winners the best of which was Little Messenger. Nandina Gamecock....another NSW sire by Gamecock, threw 19 winners, best ones were trotters....pretty awful sire although Al's Pal went good but only in NSW. Prince Monowai...by Captain Adios, his life time record mile rate was 2.25.2 ....I can run faster than that (well, I could once run faster than that)....remarkably, he produced 9 winners including Full Detail (2.01.8) and good horses in Red Ensign and Boss Adios (I think for Cliff Collett? and later Lyle Lindau...good horse. Prince Newton was a good racehorse by Frosty Nelson but being out of a Busselton Lad mare should probably have been gelded at birth. Only 4 winners, none of them any good.

Best I can do STG, and it was hard yakka coming up with this paltry offering ....but....as they say, there wasn't a lot of material to work with. On any measure, the sales catalogues these days make for much better reading.

VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Did a young up and coming trainer in Gary Hall Snr train Mirage Miss in the mid 1980s JJ?
    Might have but I'm thinking Russell Smith for some obscure reason?? Mirage Miss did get in foal to Vero Prince at one stage....but to be honest, I don't know.
  • getthechangegetthechange    310 posts

so possibly Jenkins - don't think Hall had her but maybe he did as also guessing 

Village Kid possibly you are thinking of Moray Miss which G Hall trained

VillageKid likes this post.

• getthechangegetthechange    310 posts
    edited May 2019

this line was missing - was meant to say - was thinking Justins but first foal was bred by Jenkins so possibly Jenkins

Thanks Jay Jay  knew  I had set you a task there, was a lot yearlings that stretched out to fourth dam and had enough room to write a essay underneath.

1976  kiwi light mare by light brigade had the dividend filly lot 13....and the only james second horse in the sale was a filly outa hilstar..lot 218...

Still have the article from the countryman it also mentions,a considerable number of yearlings were ill prepared and badly handled in the sale ring.

Goes on  to say....an improved and more professional approach to these matters for future sales should improve values because the bloodlines now coming available in this state must add to this potential,...the old days when nothing was sugar coated....

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    edited May 2019
    Think Murray Jenkins maybe was Jack Cockells son in law so that would make sense? Looks like Terry Cassells bred from her later for two winners Cutters Gold and Cobargo. Testing the memory this one.
    Cutters Dream   the sire sure he won three nights of the Kalgoorlie round for cockell….he had two other ones that cleaned up but think they were double-headed meetings at easter horses were little rock and early right both think won a double on each night,

1976  kiwi light mare by light brigade had the dividend filly lot 13....and the only james second horse in the sale was a filly out of hilstar lot 218

Yep, they were my two stellar purchases. From memory, the James Second filly was the last lot in the sale, no one was left, they couldn't get a bid, she looked like ending up homeless and the St Vincent in me threw in a bid for $400 bucks. Thus Mad Molly found a home. I think she ended up down the bush somewhere with a Rosie in her name but would almighty surprised if she ever made the track. At least lot 13 liked humans.....I nearly sold her one night at Northam Trials after she won a 3 horse trial with Mike Williams driving her....or maybe it was old Les .....should have.

curmudgeon, savethegame likes this post.

By the way STG, that Benghazi Hanover x Tartan Maid filly that topped the sale....named Overmaid and never raced but did throw a couple of decent winners in Spear Chucker and Juni something or other for Ray Duffy. I saw Tartan Maid win the Oaks for Coulson but she weren't an overly brave filly.

savethegame likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts

so possibly Jenkins - don't think Hall had her but maybe he did as also guessing 

Village Kid possibly you are thinking of Moray Miss which G Hall trained

I think you are right GTC I vaguely remember he had a M..... Miss back in the 80s but it must have been Moray not Mirage.
    While you boys are running hot and before you have the lipotor,carvidilol,entresto,and the likes;;;;;;

Trying to remember a horse hall snr, had maybe late nineties,it was a small horse looked like baked beans tin  with legs left his stables and done just as well for the new camp,not much to  go on.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Heinz Hanover stg ?
    Or his brothers van camp, or trader joe..... this horse was pretty tuff, that also narrows it down a tough hall horse
    Berkley Road?

That's the one  I ,was way out early nineties Berkley Road been trying to get him for a while,just checked see he had beaten village kid two starts in a row. towards the end of his listed form who trained him later thanks jay jay. 
    Eeew, he was a very nice horse Berkley Road, had soundness issues. He was trained by Brian Olsen, driven by Phil Coulson....in one of his wins over Village Kid, all drivers wore black armbands as earlier in the night, Frank Ellis had passed away. There was no luck involved with his wins, he beat him firstly when Village Kid was first up from a spell but repeated the dose a few weeks later. Not saying he was a "Village Kid' but he was a top horse by any measure.

savethegame, VillageKid likes this post.

1977 Sale  Papagena her Thirteenth foal a colt by Tradet Nardin made 3.300...… don,t have all the sale prices. but the ones that fetched over 3k...Lumber Dream-Regal countess 3,200......Bengazi Hanover--Savoy Queen 5.000...…...Lordship--Scottish Clare 6,000...….Lumber Dream---Scottish Twig 4.700 ……..  Tarport Coulter---SwiftSarah  3,000 …….    Renaud---Tijuana Lass3,000 ……..    Bengazi Hanover---Wrackdale 3100 …... ..Bengazi Hanover--Baywrack4.600    

There was one Garry Rowan in the sale out of mare called Miami Beach.breeder w.a.

Year that the newbound brothers from forest lodge chiltern Victoria didn.t attend with any yearlings, they sure did end up leaving there mark on Australian Harness scence had Garry Rowan, imported Windshield Wiper, bred Rip Van winkle top trotter Court Jester,plus brought the mother of  Gay Acres  ----  Lucias First.. Classic  Garry, Special Garry..were sons of gay acres

1977 Sale  Papagena her Thirteenth foal a colt by Trader Nardin made 3.300...…(Great producer Papagena from the Dairy Maid family....this one was no good...Early Trader unraced) don,t have all the sale prices. but the ones that fetched over 3k...Lumber Dream-Regal Countess 3,200 ( La Sharee 1.56.5 went good, dam of Mighty Michael 1.57.3 for Ern Manea)......Bengazi Hanover--Savoy Queen 5.000 ( Savoy Prince 2.6.7 and $7k)...…...Lordship--Scottish Clare 6,000 (Temple Houston 2.11.5, 1 win)...….Lumber Dream---Scottish Twig 4,700 (Rose Of Dundee 2.3.8, dam of 6 winners for Roy Annear inc Relax Me Baby and Dundee)……..  Tarport Coulter---SwiftSarah  3,000 (Top mare Swift Sarah, dam of Hey Mavbe and trotting champ Even Speed but Tarport Coulter was a flop as a sire...this one raced as Tarshani Star 2.12.1, 1 win …….    Renaud---Tijuana Lass 3,000 (Tijuana Bay 2.6.0, dam of 3 winners) ……..    Bengazi Hanover---Wrackdale 3100 (Imperial Wrack unraced) …... ..Bengazi Hanover--Baywrack 4,600  (Irish Mead unraced) The Gary Rowan -Miami Beach colt certainly didn't sell on account of its maternal family, it was winless through multiple generations, sold on the name of the sire but was no good ...(Marty Rowan non winner, $215 in life time stakes). I don't think we saw the best of the Forest Lodge yearlings at the WA sale.  

savethegame, VillageKid likes this post.

Just found the garry rowan-- Miami beach colt was the highest price 7,500, at the 77 sale highest price filly was Scottish Arrania--oro travis was sold for .5,500.

Was the largest increase in average price of any annual yearling sale in Australia or new Zealand.

The 76/77 season saw 63% of 3-yearold races   73%of 2--yearold races and 11 of the16 classics won by westbreds..  there were 82 races programmed for 2 yearolds   and the 3 yearolds had158 races..

Jay Jay the newbound brothers  I  was told there idea was to spread the stock of garry rowan around aus. to try fasttrack his prominence rather then 10-20 yearlings coming up against each other as 2 yearolds in vic.. but  by the time that decision was made and his winners started to come  his oldest progeny had reached 4..w.a. didn.t have too many hot ones...but from limited numbers with  1colt 1 filly 76 sale there was one by garry rowan 77 sale his intial crop don't know, but just going of old book think peter rowan was w.a 2 year old winner,but 78 sale they  had 5 for sale.

But ray sweetman may have made a direct deal to buy classic garry and special garry and was gallant garry another w.a. horse?  as  going.concern.s don't think gay acres yearlings sold in w.a. and haven't got a clue how young symbol got to be in w.a.but he was by tarport Robbie.
    The Scottish Arania - Oro Travis filly was bought by Cass and Keith Haese and was the start of the "Alfa" dynasty. Oro Travis was a sister to former champ Bin Oro, top WA maternal family. She raced successfully as Travis Arania and was the dam of Scanio, Bold Ruler, Alfa Dyno, Alfa triumph etc. $5.5k was money well spent.

Always get confused with Young Symbol and Time Symbol ..Barry Warwick and Mike Reed or Fletcher involved, I dunno either.

VillageKid, squid69 likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Young Symbol owned by the Fletchers and trained by Barry Warwick.

Time Symbol owned by Len Pervan and trained by Mike Reed.

JayJay likes this post.

Young Symbol B.Warwick….16wins,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Classic  Garry 19wins,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jotto 17 wins,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Special Garry 15wins,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Gallant Garry 16 wins,,,,,,,,,,,,Provoative 19 wins. 

She left her mark gay acres as a broodmare

Think fletcher's stood young symbol at stud and bred time symbol and may have raced it. mike reed could have trained as he drove it the most? or fletchers may have trained it. time symbol

VillageKid, JayJay likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Fletchers may have bred Time Symbol but did not race it.

JayJay likes this post.

Thanks Chariots did see your initial post...

Thanks Chariots did see your initial post...

Meant didn't see your initial post
    STG, Prevocative was the dam of Jesse Moore's good little horse Pro Armbro.

Cheers Chariots, I now recall seeing Len with Mike Reed.....was probably just inquiring into the horses well being ;))

edited June 2019
    The 2018 APG Perth sale consisted of 118 lots that are just about at the end of their 2 year old days. Of that draft, 2 are deceased, 19 are unnamed and 36 are named but unraced. There are good news and not so good news stories as is the norm from any sale.
    Lot 503 Major Martini (1.56.7) cost $44k and has won $68k, Lot 523 Double Expresso (1.55.7) cost $22k, has won $106k,  Lot 477 Manning (1.58) cost $19k, has won $28k. Lot 536 Moon Goddess (1.58.2) was a bargain, cost just $6.5k and has won $28k and Lot 482  Secret Operation (2.00.3) at just $7.5k with $19k in the bank is also a good buy. Lot 526 Jaxon Jones (1.57.7) cost $50k and has won $16k but shows promise, as does Lot 470 Intheskyrocket (1.56.7) which cost $25k and has $4484 in the bank. Lot 493 Papa Razi, the trotter, was a withdrawal from the sale but has trotted 2.4.5 with $9.4k in the bank. Lot 489 Missbillynotsilly (1.58.6) was passed in at $20k but has $11.1k in the bank. That's about all in the good news department, with the obvious rider that there is a lot more to a horses career than a few months of 2 year old racing. Will draw up the disappointments list and add tomorrow, again with the rider that it is very early days and some of the "disappointments" may well end up as "delights".

Betonme, Gilgamesh, savethegame likes this post.

Some of the "disappointments" or yet to reveal their full potential lots in catalogue order:
    Lot 452 Don't Change cost $16k, won $2.07k, Lot 459 Red Hot Courage cost $26k, won $100, Lot 460 Caveman cost $47.5k, unraced, Lot 471 Labuschagne cost $22k, unraced, Lot 486 The Dancing Pearl cost $23k, unraced, Lot 499 The Freelancer cost $24k, won $263, Lot 502 Niyarra cost $40k, unraced, Lot 510 cost $32k, unnamed, Lot 517 Major Think Twice cost $28k, won $2925, Lot 541 Dissertation Passed in $30k, unraced, Lot 544 cost $22.5k, unnamed, Lot 546 Red Hot Lady cost $29k, unraced, Lot 547 Star Of Diamonds cost $52.5k, won $5629, Lot 550 Pontevivo cost $30k, unraced and lot 555 The Viper cost $65k, unraced. As time passes, many of these will race and hopefully be successful as there are probably 4 of 5 preparations and costs associated to go on top of the purchase price. Huge investment from some purchasers with no guarantees.

VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.