G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 35 Non Members

BELMONT 6th July

West Australian Racing
Feature races are a disgrace...
True attraction the $1.14 fave in a 7 horse field (Aquanita) and you have two horses that may scratch yet after running yesterday. 
Mystery Miss the $1.16 fave in an 8 horse filed (Oaks). 

Comments

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    It was Variation v Gatting two years ago. How things have changed.
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Well, to be fair it could have been True Attraction v's The Velvet King..............

Squiddy likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    should have been. Surely they could have just insisted on a senior rider?
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    edited July 2019
    Another boring sat raceday where most of the spoils go to a select few. Will happily have my feet up at home having a cup-a-soup not betting a cent on the current product.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    me too, para. got my members renewal yesterday..thinking of chucking it in...rarely go on track any more.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited July 2019
    Just read an article that sports betting continues to rise and rise and rise...is it any wonder ? Even one guy ( Richard Irvine ) said that betting into markets at 120% ( if you're lucky ) is the same as betting say Collingwood v Geelong at $1.65 each take your pick.

Tote takeout rates despite the great strides in technology have increased 20% across the board since the introduction of the tote.

Why bet into markets of $1.65 v $1.65 ? The younger price savvy punter coming through - underestimate him at your risk.
  • SquiddySquiddy    89 posts
    I wonder if tvk was one of Bob's with the same record, if it would have been sent back to trials?
    Credit where credit due...Tabcorp have announced with their odd number v even number bet type - pick whether the winner is to be an odd or even number is going to be now set at 107%.

Need more of that - the delicate balance of return to the industry and to the punter - always need to be vigilante on.

The alternative is empty grandstands.
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    paraletic said:

Another boring sat raceday where most of the spoils go to a select few. Will happily have my feet up at home having a cup-a-soup not betting a cent on the current product.

I was about to believe and agree with everything you were saying until I read the "not betting a cent" comment  :-O

paraletic likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    thefalcon said:

me too, para. got my members renewal yesterday..thinking of chucking it in...rarely go on track any more.

you still have my mailing address don't you falc...

just name your preferred dinner location... Atrium again?  =P~
    Pikey seven winners over two meetings - how many this Saturday ? Kemp, Sestich and Harvey ( still going ok! ) were amazing but none as dominant as this.

Would've enjoyed Kemp v Pike.
    edited July 2019
    TheDiva said:

Take measures to improve it's racing manner and engage a senior rider would have made more sense, yes.

Sending back to trials achieves what ?
    (Other than a lesser Listed race field, pressure on the races status, and decreased turnover to RWWA - hurt themselves more than anyone).

Winsumlosesum likes this post.

• DotardDotard    18 posts
    Tivers said:

TheDiva said:

Take measures to improve it's racing manner and engage a senior rider would have made more sense, yes.

Sending back to trials achieves what ?
    (Other than a lesser Listed race field, pressure on the races status, and decreased turnover to RWWA - hurt themselves more than anyone).
    Seperation of Powers. You don't want turnover factored in the decision making of integrity, this already factors a part of programming (not necessarily a bad thing). 

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited July 2019
    Fair point, but still would have been better to direct "measures to correct racing manner" / having to trial achieves nothing.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    to my eye, went pretty straight the start prior with senior rider... so that would be the logical fix. 
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Thought getting sent back to trials was very harsh,but then going through his form he has figured in  stewards reports in 5 of his 10 starts with regards to laying out in the straight & another start his mentioned as having mis -strode at the 150m mark, the day when lee newman won on him,but viewing that  replay theres a clear band across the track approx. 1.5 metres wide and couple others didn't deal with it that day as well, bit like trying to pluck themselves outta quicksand, yet the track was rated good 4.

Very good horse, could be numerous reasons why he shift's up the track,be interesting to see how he would go the Sydney.way.
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts

Pikey seven winners over two meetings - how many this Saturday ? Kemp, Sestich and Harvey ( still going ok! ) were amazing but none as dominant as this.

Would've enjoyed Kemp v Pike.

Which WA smothering race owner did Kemp represent nearly 100% of the time?
    edited July 2019
    LC.
    Remember some of those very good horses he rode in Eastern Temple, Haulpaks Image, Sanatate, Phizam, Importune, Rant And Rave, Gypsy Frolic.
    Was 1987 had his fall at a midweek meeting when at the peak of his career, just 33 yrs old. Think Cheridge was the name of the horse.

savethegame, VillageKid, spinking likes this post.

Rod  Kemp career was over at 33 just in his prime,he did ride a lot winners for connell,plus he rode a lot big-race winners for owner Wally Hannah also C.S.Hayes...My belief  his strength and ability was second to none.he could do what the enforcer mick dittman  was capable off, who I believe was a one trickpony with the whip, compared to kemp....Still retained the poetry in motion look when a horse was doing things wrong in the the drive to the line.,he could pick  them up and his feet still going at the same time and he would never miss a beat..Memory fading but think one year coming to the end of season he had mark grigsbys state record in sight, I am sure he went to Kalgoorlie and broke it on horse called Todbury…..He was well on his way to being a top rider before Connell barged on the scene, in the mid eighties, kemp was leading apprentice 71-72.
    Riders think two horses equal ability going to the line, with my last ten on the line,would choose kempy slighty over pike,...Both predominatly onesided jockeys no-lefthand…All.Glen Boss achievements none done with lefthand,  which nowadays. the top hoops can switch right to left in a heart-beat.

Good Kempy memory - when the hoops were mounted and going down the race out onto the track, there use to be always three or four punter's calling out to the jockeys - "any chance?"...most answers were met with eachway, can win, no chance or stoney silence...last race of the day...it's the get out stakes...punter..."any chance Rocket?"...without flinching Kempy said "yes the place"...that'll do...around 7/4 a place....Spinola - big field - ran third.

No punter guess would now say boo to a hoop as he goes onto the track, back then it was fairly common. Who were the good honest hoops with their "tips" no idea, but Kemp was true to his word that day.

spinking, savethegame likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    didn't Ses ride a bit for LC he also brought a bloke over from NZ just cant think of his name at the moment was it maybe David someone cant recall

savethegame likes this post.

• GepettoGepetto    99 posts
    spinking said:

didn't Ses ride a bit for LC he also brought a bloke over from NZ just cant think of his name at the moment was it maybe David someone cant recall

David Walsh
  • spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    think Cheridge may have been a pick up ride for him as well Riders . Or maybe it may have been craig wake who picked up the ride that not only finished his career but also unfourtunatly his life
    Gepetto said:

spinking said:

David Walsh
    Round the same time as david walsh came out think connell paid 500k. for one of n.z best sprinters, mr.tanylese spelling could be wrong,....Both never fired in the west...jockey and horse. Australia breeding industry had a nice buffer then?, if you purchased a horse from n.z and it had already won a race where ever, it would come to Australia and have to start in open company think that's how it went.

Thought getting sent back to trials was very harsh,but then going through his form he has figured in  stewards reports in 5 of his 10 starts with regards to laying out in the straight & another start his mentioned as having mis -strode at the 150m mark, the day when lee newman won on him,but viewing that  replay theres a clear band across the track approx. 1.5 metres wide and couple others didn't deal with it that day as well, bit like trying to pluck themselves outta quicksand, yet the track was rated good 4.

12 months ago  the Belmont  bermuda band  25 /5/ 2019 strikes again.