G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 24 Non Members

Sir Nicholas Pinjarra

Harness & Greyhounds
AC Lewis on board two off the back row 1609 meters, raced Friday night.
Last two wins have been off four day breaks with AC Lewis on board.
Today's odds 100 to 1 fixed.
Seen crazier things happen.

Comments

• thetruththetruth    45 posts
    Won't get near the 7.
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Was counting my dollars on the turn then no we will pull four wide down the straight, would he have got the split, appeared to be there for a while, but we will never know. End of the day you can't criticise ACs judgement. Official margin 4.7 metres from winner and 3.4 from 3rd horse #7.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    The winner batman driven by phil duggan that's the same one that was a jockey over 40years ago, and anyone know what relation to Bernie duggan who also seem to ride forever and a day.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Hes done a pretty good with Ima Batman since taking over its training - it won a race a few months back at huge odds at GP - been pretty consistent . Prior to him training it - it use to break in running - do plenty wrong

M Ferguson ( who i rate as a driver ) who normally drives it -  i see he is over in Sydney driving some of Shane Trittons horses - probably works for him
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Can't remember the horses name but I am sure Phil Duggan brought it down from Kalgoorlie while he was working in the goldfields and drove it to win at his first GP drive.
    Never underestimate Phil as a horseman ....he has the runs on the board. 
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    And who can ever forget the steely tough hoop Bernie Duggan...wonder if related.

Just looking at the results yesterday...Chris Lewis in the top four finish about 6 times...Chris Alford driving as well as ever...the competiveness in those two blokes continues unabated.
    edited July 2019
    Just read you mentioned Bernie stg, he's one of my earliest memories with Harry Wulff, Tom Graham, JJ Miller, Bill Ransom, Lindsay Rudland, Bernie Ryan.
    Glen Davies and Bernie Duggan - both angry ants. Danny Miller would've ridden against all the above, which goes to show his longevity in the game.

Recall seeing JJ ride at Pinjarra one day ( might have been around the time Family Of Man came over here and won at Pinjarra ) he was all class, the synchronisation between him and horse was a sight to see.

Was in the leger when Allegation defeated Tom Graham aboard Kabooki in the Perth Cup and the boos who could forget!
    edited July 2019
    Favourite memory though...about 1978..was at Flemington racecourse - a snowy white haired elderly fellow, white shirt, black trousers with braces and all business, although old, full of life he was...Tom Woodcock.

For that brief moment without even realising wasn't all that far away from the Phar Lap time. Close as ever got.

Three words summed Tommy Woodcock up from seeing him work that Saturday - attention to detail.
  • RexRex    397 posts

And who can ever forget the steely tough hoop Bernie Duggan...wonder if related.

Just looking at the results yesterday...Chris Lewis in the top four finish about 6 times...Chris Alford driving as well as ever...the competiveness in those two blokes continues unabated.

Father and son.

savethegame, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited July 2019
    There you go, he rode quite light too from memory and not talking the light of today...more the 48-52kg light.
    Got a feeling too that he was one of the old fashioned blokes who liked to chew gum.

savethegame likes this post.

• RexRex    397 posts

There you go, he rode quite light too from memory and not talking the light of today...more the 48-52kg light.
    Got a feeling too that he was one of the old fashioned blokes who liked to chew gum.

Bernie was a great money rider when the right money went on. He rode a few winners for me and one that comes to mind was Great Chest at Pinjarra. It was great night had by all. One day on a Monday public holiday I was driving to Bunbury on tho old coast road with a bookmaker that had to be on coarse 1 hour before the first and the traffic was built up for miles. It was an awful road to have to pass someone. When we finally arrived it turned out that it was Bernie up front casually taking in the scenery. When I fronted him he said that he only had one ride for the day and it was in the last so he was enjoying the drive. He was a character and a good judge of a horse. Phil was a very compatent rider till weight got him.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts

Recall seeing JJ ride at Pinjarra one day ( might have been around the time Family Of Man came over here and won at Pinjarra ) he was all class, the synchronisation between him and horse was a sight to see.

Cheers Riders, I had a real battle making the weight that day....always thought that anyone seeing me ride would never forget it. :))

Jay Jay his favourite mounting yard one, when asked by owners how much did he expect if he won was. I ride real good for a thousand but a lot better for 2.

He told this one at sportsman lunch,,,Hollywood George  said you cann't  let this win  JJ someone's pinched the market. its..3s-6/4.       JJ replied  don't think  I can stop it my money is on at 3s.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

I was at Canterbury when Johny Miller won the Canterbury Guineas ( which was a good race back then ) on Dulcify i think - it was a huge price . Rod Kemp was also riding a few at Canterbury that day - might have been Fair Sir for Connel - didnt run in the 1st 3 though

Bart apparently rated Miller as his best ever jockey -  i read that Miller used to ring Bart every Sunday night - before he got sick

Fair Sir won w.a's first million dollar race the  'australasian' in 1987.with sestich up.
    Getting back to Ima Batman - its previous trainer was listed as Albie Smith

I allways wondered at the time - whether that was the former top jockey -  the one who had a great association with the top sprinter Coal Pak
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    No Albie is not the jockey, he also trained a good mare by the name of Ariege.

Markovina likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Worked with Alby for a number of years. Lovely bloke. Don't think he had a horse before taking up helping Frank Ellis (who was also a workmate at that time) as a hobby and Ariege would have been his first or second solo effort as a trainer. Ariege was one of those anomalies sired by No Fission ....male horse with female external physical characteristics. No Fission had an enormous disparity female to male performers....partly because of the genetic issues.
    Alby did  a good job with I'm Batman who he leased early on and I think he has a handy one called Independence Rose at the moment. 

• MoonrakerMoonraker    99 posts
    Alby also had a handy horse that made its way to free for all including winning the consolation of a Fremantle cup - Final Quest

curmudgeon likes this post.

edited July 2019
    There was a couple of hoops use to put a few bets on the tote for at country meetings....good fellows...but taught me one thing...their are actually worse judges than myself!

Fair Sir put the lot on him a place in the million dollar race, watched the race watch up near the top of the straight ( liked the solitude ) and as they went passed me thought he was really struggling - certainly misread that, as in reality he forged away to win the race.

Recall too having a decent place bet on a Frank Ellis mare long time ago - was about a 8 or 9yr old mare - but she ran a drum and was quite handy there for a little while - name escapes.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Was the handy Frank Ellis mare Samrae Miss Riders?

JayJay, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited July 2019
    You're too good VK and he drove her well, she struck some consistent form at a good age.
    The other one had abit of time for..saw her run well at the Port & GP and could be a little unlucky - Mantilla Lass.

VillageKid likes this post.

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Frank had sassie brassie in her early days. Was in a race with Frank and Sassie Brassie at Northam as I crossed to the fence Sassie Brassie broke. Got called into stewards room, before I went in a prominent trainer/driver came up to me and said Franks horse broke on its own accord and if you need a hand I will come in and support you. I replied I will be ok mate as I knew he was trying to pinch the horse. Funny old game.

Markovina likes this post.

• OffthebitOffthebit    597 posts

Can't remember the horses name but I am sure Phil Duggan brought it down from Kalgoorlie while he was working in the goldfields and drove it to win at his first GP drive.

Never underestimate Phil as a horseman ....he has the runs on the board. 
    What about the job he did with nats nifty?? The horse was just a battler until he took over the training and put callan suvaljko on to drive him. Took the horse from C1 all the way to an interdominion final.....amazing!!!