G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 18 Non Members

Ashes 2019

Sport
TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
Who'd have thought after being 8/122 in the first dig, that we'd now be in a winning position on the last day. 
Pitch is doing nothing... so I reckon it might be a draw... 
Glad Wade made some runs... shut up some of the doubters. 
Although Tim Paine looks like a great bloke... I just cant see how he's of any benefit to the side.. keeping is average at best and cant bat. 

Comments

• saxonsaxoffsaxonsaxoff    179 posts
    Averages 35 in tests and is the best gloveman in the country. Not sure who you would replcae him with. Wade looks a much better bat when he isn't keeping and carey doesn't have the runs on the board just yet.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    Hes a bloke who will never stand up when required and get a 100.... the two you mentioned are both better batsmen... Carey has never had his chance so I dont see how he could have the runs on the board? 
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Ive been listening to it in bed on the radio - basically to stumps every night - very entertaining - Geoffrey Boycott  great to listen to - some of the old time stories - great stuff  plus Andrew the stats guy - great information . Pity the Aus captain declared so late - they gave the highest totals on that ground in the last innings - and the highest 2 were under 300 . Thus a lead of 325 would have been adequate and would have  set up a grandstand  finish
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts

Averages 35 in tests and is the best gloveman in the country. Not sure who you would replcae him with. Wade looks a much better bat when he isn't keeping and carey doesn't have the runs on the board just yet.

Thought the same as Diva, but agree with Sax.
    Paine best keeper.
    Wade only good when not keeping.
    So what do you do................?

Other than maybe throw Carey in as keeper, and if he makes runs then so be it.
    I called a draw midway through last night, but not too sure.
    They say the pitch there does fall right away day 5.
    carey to get his chance and keep... wade as a batsman. That will happen, its only a matter of time. Paines average dropping every test match. 
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    TheDiva said:

Hes a bloke who will never stand up when required and get a 100.... the two you mentioned are both better batsmen... Carey has never had his chance so I dont see how he could have the runs on the board? 

Its not all about making runs when you are the keeper. Its about not dropping Kohli or Root when there on single figures or missing a stumping when Williamson or Pujarra are also. Sometimes its about weighing up what's worth more. Wade had his chance trying to do both and was a useless keeper. Im not sold on Carey yet, not sure about his glovework.

oldhendo, therealkramer likes this post.

On another note, how bad is the umpiring? Worst I’ve ever seen in a test match

jum, oldhendo likes this post.

So far both decisions today incorrect... 100% incompetent
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    TheDiva said:

So far both decisions today incorrect... 100% incompetent

Do they have the goal line review like in the footy?? hahahaha My interest extends to having the scoreboard open in one tab of the puter
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    TheDiva said:

On another note, how bad is the umpiring? Worst I’ve ever seen in a test match

One review off the record. Disgraceful umpiring.
  • rooboyrooboy    1,421 posts
    How bad are those Pommies!
    =)) :)) :))
    I think i heard them say that we have only been beaten twice at Lords since 1934!

RIO likes this post.

Three wins that won us that test.

1. Smith (over Root)
    2. Lyon (over Ali)
    3. Paine (over Bairstow)
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Curator may be the next winner...no more over prepared strips that spin on the last day. From now on, the retic will be out in full from now on for some nice under prepared greentops that will seam all over the place as the poms try and cook the results.

VillageKid likes this post.

and we switch Starc back in and skittle them ! :)

JayJay likes this post.

Michael Vaughn on the radio commentary a couple of days ago - rated S Smith as the best Test Batsmen he had ever seen
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Poor old ump...8 decisions wrong, that equaled the record previously held in a Test Match in Colombo Sri Lanka.

There were 11 wrong decisions overall in the Sri Lankan Test Match. Probably lots of spinners and appealing!

Have done cricket umpiring - never gave one LBW appeal out haha. Actually found run outs difficult - lining the bloody bat and ball up!

One thing though - it's always a lot easier in slow motion replay.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    There is an old story involving Sid Barnes, said to be 2nd only to Bradman at a batsman, who got hit on the pads plumb as you will ever see in a Test match at Lords. So plumb that they say even the Umpire, an old pommy bloke, joined in the appeal. Barnes didn't agree and asked the old bloke where he kept his white cane and his labrador guide dog. Quick as a flash, the Ump says "I've still got the cane but the dog was a yapper and I got rid of him....just like you, he yapped to much and just like you, I told him to f#*k off, now F*#k off back to the dressing room".
    edited August 2019
    In all honesty those close decisions are 99% guesses...sometimes you guess right and other times get 8 in a row wrong! Educated guesses but still hopeful guesses.

Think it's been proven by an ophthalmologist that's it's impossible for the human eye to pick up some things on the cricket field no matter how good the eyesight. Hearing snicks not easy either.

Don't know the answer though - perhaps review all decisions - no don't like that one either.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    There were more than 8 decisions Joel Wilson & Aleem Dar got horribly wrong Riders and most of them were in England's favour not ours.
    edited August 2019
    Yep I realise VK...Joel Wilson got 8 wrong. I said ump not umps! All up they must have gone close to breaking the Sri Lankan record.

Yep I realise VK...Joel Wilson got 8 wrong. I said ump not umps! All up they must have gone close to breaking the Sri Lankan record.

I saw somewhere it was 13 decisions they got wrong in the Test, just not good enough in such an important historic series.

I for one cant understand why we just dont get the best umpire from each competing country to umpire for the series be it one of Ian Gould, Richard Kettleborough, Richard Illingworth or Nigel Llong from England and one of Paul Reiffel, Rod Tucker, Paul Wilson or Bruce Oxenford from Australia?
    Surely in this day and age with 100 cameras filming, DRS, Snicko etc there can be no perceived bias as the consequences would be there for all to see and criticise?

Ridersonthestorm33, JayJay, oldhendo, RIO likes this post.

edited August 2019
    The only problem with that VK is that is it's commonsense and logical.
    Have to think "outside the square" these days..whatever that means. They outsmart themselves.

VillageKid, RIO likes this post.

Yep, think a bit much to have an umpire from ONE of the participating countries, but if one of each - no issue.
    They generally confer on most decisions anyway (we don't see it, but they signal each other).

Also suggestion last night on The Back Page - there's three umps really (on on the replays), so why don't they rotate throughout the match.
    Say each session they shuffle around - one end, other end, tv.
    Cant speak high enough of the radio coverage if you want to be entertained

2nd last night - or day of play - at the Tea break - there was a presentation to Mike Smith - the guy is 86 so he is doing pretty well - but he was a former England Test captainin the 60s  and also played rugby for England - so he was a terrific allround sportsman . Anyhow the ground where the test was just played was his home ground - so in appreciation of his long service - they had an unveiling - i think it was gates or a plaque or something

Anyhow after the unveiling - i think it was Jonathon Agnew had a quick interview with him - and he said something like what can you remember about your career - and Mike said he could remember his very 1st game as a young bloke of County Cricket - he said he was out caught for a duck - and he then said with some humour he can never forget the newspaper match report of the game - it had - Smith caught Fiddling  bowled Nutter for no score - ( someone Fiddling was the catcher - and Albert Nutter was the bowler )

edited August 2019
    ...And who can forget the other famous one that happened in a Test Match between Australia and England...Lillee caught Willy bowled Dilley, something like that anyway!

The odds of that occurring 100000/1...once they were all playing against each other came into 3/1!

Back to what VK said...agree and also think two reviews is not enough am happy with 3 or 4...but let's put a little onus back on the players too...if you "burn" 3 or 4 reviews you don't deserve any more help.

edited August 2019
    Who could ever forget another classic piece of English commentary Riders from a Test Match between England and West Indies in the early 1980s-

"The batsman is Holding, the bowlers Willey"   
    edited August 2019
    Keeping the umpiring theme...have heard the one where Dennis Lillee had three plumb lbw's appeals in a row turned down, before clean bowling the batsman middle stump, then turning around to the umpire said "that was bloody close".

cisco, VillageKid, JayJay, oldhendo likes this post.

• goosegoose    1,628 posts
    Australia 2.65 to win second test at Lords?? only thing that can beat them is rain you would think.
    Their attack is flying Starc and Hazlewood on the bench English bowlers under an injury cloud cant see it being close.
    One of Starc or Hazel got to play surely ?