G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 24 Non Members

Sometimes, don't bother,just stay home!!!

Harness & Greyhounds
No doubt, others had worse Fridays .....and I am laughing about it now....sort of....but sometimes, you should never leave the house.
Left home at 7.30am Friday morning for the trek to Perth, armed with boxes of fine Southern Forest produce to deliver to friends and then head to GP to watch my "battlers"...a term "tweeted" by a leading trainer to describe my erstwhile steeds in what I thought was a display of unbridled arrogance....but you get that, so moving on. Completed my "Con The Fruiterer" duties to appreciative friends including the seemingly ageless and wonderful Hall Of Famer John Cooper and it was all downhill from there.

"Battler" number 1 draws an impossible gate 8 and runs down the track, battler number 2 is first up and they go like scalded cats in a very strange race running 1.55...and he finishes down the track, and after backing the stables best for the night which got bloused out in a tight photo, it was off to Steelo's for a feed, and some clown who is the worse for wear spills his $7 pint all over my chicken parmi. I know when to call it quits ...but not before someone who should know better says to me "I suppose you'll be setting "battler number 2" for the Inters in New Zealand after that run  JayJay"....he doesn't know how close he came to having one planted right on his copious beak but sanity prevailed, I kept walking and after exchanging farewells to friends and acquaintances, a brief process as they could all hold a mass meeting in a telephone box, I hit the road for the 3 and a half hour trip home....so I thought. Sailing down Canning Highway, a man in high viz steps out holding a luminous sign....my heinous crime, doing 64km/hr in a 60 zone....exit stage right another 100 bucks along with what little sense of humour remained.
A steely silence descends and soon enough, I am in Boyanup, ensconced in the thickest pea soup fog imaginable which continued all the way home......no chance of another speeding ticket, the normal 90 minute drive from Bunbury took two and a half hours and a 2.20am arrival in the driveway. I think completely knackered is the appropriate description.
A check of the post box Saturday morning reveals two items, the Water bill and the Council Rates....oh bewt....the Manjimup Shire sees fit to raise its rates more than double the inflation rate each year in order to NOT maintain the goat track that constitutes a road to my residence....wonderful value for money, local government, truly wonderful.
Then Saturday night, having virtually given Smackwater Jack (NR 50) away to SA after the poxy HWOE nonsense made him a money pit in WA, I watched with a fair degree of chagrin as he bolted in at Globe Derby Park for his new and very appreciative owner. At least someone is smiling and good for her...not leaving the house today.....other than heading to the fuel pump to replace a totally wasted tank of diesel.....in readiness for next weeks Friday Night Funpalace at the Park. Moving on.
+1 -1

VillageKid likes this post.

Comments

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    edited August 2019
    It ain't all bad though ....you did get two questions right on the ABC radio quiz whilst driving home I am reliably told :D

VillageKid, JayJay, Gilgamesh, cisco likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    I would hope your Chicken Parmi was reimbursed/replaced by said clown JJ?
  • JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    Ummm...no VK, he was a large security guard type maori built fellow in an All Blacks shirt about 14 axe handles across the shoulders....self preservation kicked in.....I'd had enough anyway, they could feed a couple of families those parmi's.
    My 2nd ever call to the quiz @curmudgeon ....questions not exactly rocket science, I jagged two easy ones, got put in the barrel along with 3 other contestants for the prize.....and lost haha. Had to do something to stay awake, never seen fog quite like it....oncoming traffic seemingly appeared out of nowhere about 30 metres before they passed you....was as bad as it gets....and it's not like we don't encounter fog in Manji very often.

• ciscocisco    805 posts
    Hello Boys,

Hope you are all well.

Keep hanging in there JayJay the luck will come.

Something to ponder my mate in South Australia told me 16 pacers arrived from WA on Friday.

Cheers cisco

curmudgeon, Gilgamesh, VillageKid likes this post.

Ironically then...the handicapping and programming in WA may be critical in rejuvenating SA field sizes and turnover cisco. 

cisco, TrackBias, VillageKid likes this post.

Not really whinging @cisco , just highlighting the vagaries of life lol. I have been extraordinarily lucky over the journey with my "battlers" v the "blue chips" per say happy to win a race anywhere, in fact, preferably closer to home than GP. But I can do without the fog and the overzealous constabulary. Don't think we have seen the last of the migration to SA....in fact, I know we haven't!!!

curmudgeon, VillageKid likes this post.

• ciscocisco    805 posts
    edited August 2019
    No issues from me Jay Jay but hopefully soon the people in charge will realise that owners like you are keeping the game "alive" !!!!

Cheers cisco

curmudgeon, VillageKid likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,888 posts

It ain't all bad though ....you did get two questions right on the ABC radio quiz whilst driving home I am reliably told :D

Jay Jay only rings up Frid through to Sunday - when Sarah is hosting - because he knows  she is slack

He wouldnt be game to ring up when is Phil is hosting - because Phil would kick him out - for suspected cheating - lol

JayJay likes this post.

Way past Sarah and Phil's time slot Marko.....I do the hard yards after midnight on the long trek home with Rod Quinn...well, I have phoned in twice in m y life.. He is a bit of a harness fan is Rod....had a question one night about the origin of the saying "Further back than Walla Walla"....I texted the right answer to him after about 30 callers had no idea.

VillageKid, Markovina likes this post.

Ex WA horses quinella the Claimer, Race 1 today at GD Park. Another Ajay now had 6 runs in SA, 2 wins and 2 seconds and $5.8k in stake earnings....far from a fortune but paying his way in spades.

VillageKid, curmudgeon, cisco likes this post.

JayJay said:

Way past Sarah and Phil's time slot Marko.....I do the hard yards after midnight on the long trek home with Rod Quinn...well, I have phoned in twice in m y life.. He is a bit of a harness fan is Rod....had a question one night about the origin of the saying "Further back than Walla Walla"....I texted the right answer to him after about 30 callers had no idea.

Just out of interest -- what is the origin of further back than Walla Walla - the reason i ask - Craig Rail who i liked as a trots caller ( now gone to NZ) - that was his saying in races - if a horse was tailed off etc
    Walla Walla was a great champion by Globe Derby from Princess Winona foaled in 1922, bred by Les Martin from Dalton, NSW at his aptly named Walla Walla Stud. Martin was a prolific breeder and trained and drove the horse for many of his 33 wins from 62 starts, later handing over to the egendary J.D. Watts (from the family of Maud by Abdullah). He was an incredible horse with a lifetime TT of 2.2.4 and set a world record in NZ  when he went 2.4.2 from the stand. He would often start from in excess of 200 yards behind, thus the saying "further back than Walla Walla". The following is an extract from Classic Families - Past Champions:

"The racing career of Walla Walla was carefully managed and involved traveling across large distances between Queensland and Tasmania. The feature events of his day were the thousand pound events that carried that title. Walla Walla won these in Brisbane, Sydney and Launceston often from huge back mark handicaps. It was a win from more than two hundred yards that led a newspaper reporter to coin the phrase ʻfurther back than Walla Wallaʼ which found its way into Australian folklore. Along the way, Walla Walla lowered many track records, his standing start record lasting twenty one years. He also broke the Australian mile record on four occasions and set a world record from the stand when racing in New Zealand. Reinsman Jack Watts who later drove Ribands, Captain Sandy and Caduceus rated Walla Walla as the best of them all.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Walla -Walla was famous pacer of the late twenties --early thirties held the australiasn record for a mile.  he won from a 216yards hcp hence further back then walla walla

Also a very successful sire, with over 150 winners...but none as good as he was.

Jack Morris inters winning campaign a young craig rail was calling into a taperecord  at the parklands track,  and was only glad for you to listen to his calls, which a group off us did,  trying to remember the horse he tipped us from the previous set of  trials he had called at.. he said it would win which it did, won at good price..followed it and developed into very good horse, sure does love using further back then walla walla

He was a relation of vic rail of vo -rogue fame

VillageKid, Markovina likes this post.

JayJay said:

Walla Walla was a great champion by Globe Derby from Princess Winona foaled in 1922, bred by Les Martin from Dalton, NSW at his aptly named Walla Walla Stud. Martin was a prolific breeder and trained and drove the horse for many of his 33 wins from 62 starts, later handing over to the egendary J.D. Watts (from the family of Maud by Abdullah). He was an incredible horse with a lifetime TT of 2.2.4 and set a world record in NZ  when he went 2.4.2 from the stand. He would often start from in excess of 200 yards behind, thus the saying "further back than Walla Walla". The following is an extract from Classic Families - Past Champions:

"The racing career of Walla Walla was carefully managed and involved traveling across large distances between Queensland and Tasmania. The feature events of his day were the thousand pound events that carried that title. Walla Walla won these in Brisbane, Sydney and Launceston often from huge back mark handicaps. It was a win from more than two hundred yards that led a newspaper reporter to coin the phrase ʻfurther back than Walla Wallaʼ which found its way into Australian folklore. Along the way, Walla Walla lowered many track records, his standing start record lasting twenty one years. He also broke the Australian mile record on four occasions and set a world record from the stand when racing in New Zealand. Reinsman Jack Watts who later drove Ribands, Captain Sandy and Caduceus rated Walla Walla as the best of them all.
    Thanks for that - 1000 pound events - wow -  that would have been huge money back then - you could buy 5 houses - in fact you could buy the whole street - maybe even the whole suburb  with that type of money

JayJay, jum likes this post.

Jack Morris inters winning campaign a young craig rail was calling into a taperecord  at the parklands track,  and was only glad for you to listen to his calls, which a group off us did,  trying to remember the horse he tipped us from the previous set of  trials he had called at.. he said it would win which it did, won at good price..followed it and developed into very good horse, sure does love using further back then walla walla

He was a relation of vic rail of vo -rogue fame

Can rest easy now the horse he tipped was pocket battleship finished up winning 28 races

As the title of the thread says, don't bother....another plumb set of barrier draws. Anyone got Ramsay's number?

VillageKid, curmudgeon likes this post.

JayJay said:

As the title of the thread says, don't bother....another plumb set of barrier draws. Anyone got Ramsay's number?

Just as well barriers don't matter at GP JJ ..........................as you were reliably informed from an  impeccable source above :))

JayJay, savethegame likes this post.

To quote, it was "Barrier draws are not a significant handicapping tool in harness racing"....still have it written down in my notes......along with my addendum "Jaw dropping".
    That sort of inanity can only come from someone with the confidence derived from never having left the  mobile behind a horse in a race.
    To be fair, after a pregnant pause during which many were left gasping for breath due to deficient oxygen levels (which had lowered to life threatening levels as the gathering sucked it all up), a rider was hastily added that "there are others in the room that know far more about handicapping than I do" and that there would be due deference paid to their superior knowledge. No one disagreed.
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Jay jay can you please explain to me how 5 horses from one stable end up in the first race when there is the possibility (maybe I'm not up to speed with new handicapping) of splitting between the first two races ??? If the horses could be split then should this sort of domination be allowed. Doesn't make for good racing nor is it a good look.
  • ChandonChandon    24 posts
    Why would you split an 11 horse field into two fields of 5 & 6?
    Yep, I'll try and put in the simplest terms that I can, but such is the labyrinth of overlays, acronyms and not eligible conditions associated with this HWOE mine field that I may find it difficult.

Race 1 and and Race 2 are two different races with two different sets of conditions even though both are "dollars won last 5 starts", so splitting them is not possible.

Race 1: For Dollars won last 5 starts less than $25,000 (L5$ LT $25k) Also eligible with concession (Junior Driver etc) L5$ LT $27.5k.  Not Eligible however are horses having started at Level 15+ and also not eligible are horses with a win at Level 12+.......and here is where the system completely collapses from a punter (and probably owner and trainer) point of view. Because the races aren't labelled or advertised at "Levels", who the hell knows whats going on? The terminology and conditions and multi layered conditions are just rubbish.

Race 2: For Dollars won last 5 starts less than $20,000 (L5$ LT $20k) concessions $22.5k. Not eligible in this race are horses having started  at level 13+ and also not eligible are horses with a win at Level 10+.

So they are two separate races and horses could not be split amongst the two races. Chandon, I don't think Freodockers was suggesting splitting a race into 5 and 6 horse fields.....more about splitting stable horses amongst the first two races ....I think.

So there you have it, "simples" this new system....easy to read, easy to understand, easy to program, no punter confusion......why would WA even bother considering the easy to follow, nationally implemented National Ratings system along with all of its simplicities?
    Yes was about splitting the five horses.
    Thanks jay jay for attempting to explain the situation.
    Good luck with your barrier draws, maybe give your horses to Garry Johnson, nobody draws barriers like him. Another anomaly for the statisticians (although he does appear to target PBDs).
    Got 12 again for Tuesday hahaha......saving on diesel.
    Not such a bad draw jay jay give 2 May cross 5-8 go back you could end up camped over them.
    Hopefully we get outsider odds for a Tuesday 5 to 1 and 1.40 a place.

JayJay, VillageKid likes this post.