G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 24 Non Members

Caulfield Cup 19th October

East Coast Racing
Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
edited October 2019 East Coast Racing
Just seven days to the big one and the favourite Finche is $9. Last year's winner Boom Time won at better than 50/1. Long priced winners in Melbourne races are prevalent, a possible outsider gaining victory maybe on the cards.

Will wait until see how the field unfolds, it's always been one heck of tricky race, and a maximum field size of 18. A gem of a handicap over the 2400.

Any thoughts and early tips most welcome!

Comments

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    Last year's winner was Best Soloutuon. Boom Time won in 2017

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    I'm hoping Verry Elllegent shows up from a futures doubles perspective
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    H-BOMBER said:

i'm told it's going to the Cox Plate instead even though the CC was the prefered option 
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Use to know every Caulfield Cup runner like the back of the hand, now have to read up up on most of them.

Did see Kings Will Dream last start he's one I've liked abit along the journey.

Finche might not be a Caulfield horse but his fourth in last year's Melbourne Cup was first rate and Waller factor.
    hash said:

H-BOMBER said:

i'm told it's going to the Cox Plate instead even though the CC was the prefered option 

Damn
    edited October 2019
    Did get about 30% of the 2013 first four Fawkner, Dandino, Dear Demi and Damien Oliver 4th can never remember it's name. WA's Mr Moet ran in that one.

Just checking the wallet, only moths, and yep all gone!

Got the Mummify, Grey Song quinella many times - that's going back awhile!
    edited October 2019
    Best Solution who won last year's Caulfield Cup, should've finished much closer in the Melbourne Cup, missed the start rather badly from memory and had a bit of a rough run with the weight impost too.
    edited October 2019
    Crown Prosecutor 100/1 it won a NZ Derby at the same odds, was a very good third to the exceptional Melody Belle recently in NZ.

The favourite in the Metropolitan got further back than normal and was competitive this time last year, and not a bad stayer at all - Brimham Rocks 25/1.
    edited October 2019
    Tabtouch had Finche at $9 on Saturday, now into $5.50 favourite. Wonder if Avilius is going to run, he's very good on his day, but can put an average one in. The other Europeans at the top of the market need to study up on.
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    I wont be studying the form of any of the Internationals i'll just be including them in all my novelties, your a genius if you're able to line up the form from overseas for when they run first up in Oz
    better to be safe and just include / back them all 

H-BOMBER, Gilgamesh likes this post.

edited October 2019
    Will watch a few replays after the barrier draw, but yep doing novelties it's one in, all in most of the time. Trouble is there's that many of them now.

For several years the longer priced internationals were running better than the more favoured ones. He's too short for me Finch, of course can win, but a good risk as fave. Looks more a Flemington horse than Caulfield. He's got that loping big stride.

Like to see Brimham Rocks draw 3 - 8. Going back over the record, better horse than given credit for.
    edited October 2019
    Can't remember it's name for the moment, but can recall one international winning or possibly running second in a big Group One, pretty sure it won, anyway the overseas expert form analyst the night before said...look this is one European you can leave out, it has next to no chance....hmmmm.

That has happened a few times. The year Taufans Melody won - the longest priced international in the race - Taufans Melody at 50/1.

Delta Blues from Japan third in the Caulfield Cup at 125/1, and what a run three wide, no cover from back in the field and kept on going around them to run an amazing third. What a good stayer, should've been $3 fave for the Melbourne Cup after that run!
    edited October 2019
    Hash and Bomber you wouldn't credit this, but Chris Waller has saddled 18 runners since the 2010 Caulfield Cup and not one has run a place!

Royal Descent finishing fifth to Fawkner in 2013 being the best, none of the other 17 have run in the top 6. He'd be determined to break that run.

Puts my Brimham Rocks under the pump! And the fave...

hash likes this post.

I'm hoping Verry Elllegent still goes to Caulfield. All rides on a jump out at the Valley tomorrow.
    edited October 2019
    Verry Ellegant in some Corp markets and out of others.

Going to watch a few replay's of one of Waller's other rough ones, was very good this time last year and its seventh in the Melbourne Cup was a great effort.

Don't think been doing much lately, one run saw, didn't finish off, but if Waller still perserving that might be a good sign - Youngstar.

That might be my attack on the race - Waller's rough two for a place and novelty bet's - Brimham Rocks and Youngstar.
    edited October 2019
    Verry Ellegant out, and Youngstar likewise. Brimham Rocks barrier 20 pass, watched Metrop replay and just ok. Finche barrier 19, will take a huge run, still fave, massive risk for mine.

Prince Of Arran last year -
    3rd Herbert Power.
    1st Hotham Handicap.
    3rd Melbourne Cup.
    This year.
    2nd. Herbert Power.

And can only get fourth emergency. How 21 horses can be considered better than him with his recent record is a mystery. Just his third placing in the Melbourne Cup should've assured him a start.

oldhendo likes this post.

edited October 2019
    Sound ran an ordinary 18th in last year's Melbourne Cup beaten a mile, five runs since all unplaced, yet was in the field ahead of Prince Of Arran, only because of today's Coongy Handicap winner that Sound has been relegated but he's still three horses above Prince Of Arran.

Don't know if Prince Of Arran would be a chance or not, but deserves a start before quite a few above him.
  • SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts
    Mustajeer for me.
    edited October 2019
    What a difficult race! Going to take most of the chances in doubles and leave the fave out, he can definetly win Finche but when's the the last outright favourite to win a Caulfied Cup ? Probably Jameeka would've thought, hey that wasn't too long ago haha, but that's the only reason taking him on, very wide open race and might be safe to leave him out to win.

Like Lane's mount, Oliver's mount and that Vow And Declare was a good effort in its run a couple of weeks ago.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    For those that like Wolfe in the Caulfield Cup..a few things:

1. He won the G3 Coongy Hcp on Wednesday and could not get a weight penalty for the Caulfield Cup.

2. Wolfe will stay on 50kg in the Caulfield Cup.

3. The last horse to do the Coongy Hcp/Caulfield Cup double was Dewey in 1899...120 years ago.
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    SKIDS said:

Mustajeer for me.

you could have bought a 25% share in Mustajeer 2 weeks ago Skids.

Sold for $340K I think on Inglis digital

edited October 2019
    That now makes it 20 runners for Chris Waller since the 2010 Caulfield Cup and not one has run a place.

A whole Cup field of 18 plus 2 has saddled up and none filled a drum. Wouldn't credit it!
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Riders;;; Waller racing had 32runners yesterday only one winner The Everest
    edited October 2019
    Wouldn't want to be having $100 a win on all of them. But did get the big one.

Was a good run Finche, just remarkable that a horse who drew 19, and a big loping type would run favourite on an unsuitable Caulfield track, has Flemington written all over him, but the 3200 metres might be a bridge too far.

hash likes this post.

edited October 2019
    Another hoop that was dominant in Caulfield Cup wins, think holds or equals the record, but hasn't ridden the Cup winner for along time, perhaps over 10 years, Damien Oliver, think he's won four all before the age of 30!