G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 4 Non Members

Payne takes a swipe over replacement of Linda Meech

East Coast Racing
I'd like a dollar for every time a jock jumped off my horse to ride something better.... this is just part of the game... Michelle Payne is well out of line. 
I notice she's removed her tweet now...

Character Assassination because he’s made a choice on behalf of his owners? Agree or not.. getting personal about it is ridiculous.
Quote Tweet
Michelle Payne
· 47m
Not for the public to decide but the public can recognise you as a pig. twitter.com/superracing/st…

Comments

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    What was the horse Diva
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    Just read the article in the Herald Sun. There all over it
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    @jum It's Deby contender Thought Of That...Meech has lost the ride after it won its maiden and then the Norman Robinson Stakes. Standard outspokenness from Payne though but after her mid-meeting twitter rants about tracks and her classless Melbourne Cup celebrations, are you really surprised? 
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    Not one bit
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Ordinary play, to tell jock. after shes just given its final hard gallop on Tuesday morning.for Saturday. Michelle's old boyfriend has got the steer now, and new  boyfriend  trains the horse in parterneship with maher…..Michelle,close to the action on this one.

jum, Manchild likes this post.

• The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    Where was the outcry when McNeil was dumped for Bowman on Kings Will Dream? Oh that's right, there both fellas....

Payne has played the sexism card to death imo, but anything goes to keep herself in the limelight...

jum likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,716 posts
    To be honest I hope they go around in the Derby and it misses the kick by 15 lengths.

jum likes this post.

• JellJell    1,201 posts
    Don’t get me started. Frankie Dettori plays dodgem cars with half the field and now we have to listen to this tripe and put up with terrible movies (No, I haven’t see it but judging by the trailer).

Where is Clare Lindop’s movie after she retired? She’s ridden almost twice as many winners and was actually a good Jockey. You don’t see her carrying on.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited October 2019
    Did delete tweet a little later on, probably realising error, but how many continue to fall for the three card trick...only to realise, whoops. Heat of the moment passionate stuff, can draw supporters but alienate at the same time.

Then again don't mind people speaking their mind, it's a free country. But it's a tricky one, owner not perturbed, said would just let it go through to the keeper, wise move too.

In regards to the jockey change can definetly see both sides of the argument and one that sit on the fence abit, but the good argument that owners pay the bills is hard to get away from.

I'd leave Meech on, think you're on a hiding to nothing by changing. Unless it wins! As far as loyalty a little sceptical on that one, it's there in some cases.
  • oldhendooldhendo    763 posts
    $1000 fine.
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    The premise of the Michelle Payne story and highlighted in the movie about her Melbourne Cup victory, are that she has overcome objections and a bias towards female jockeys, fighting against all odds if you will.

So this is her second time offense using social media in a manner that is unprofessional by any standard of measure. Due to the non racing media and some principal stake holders promoting Michelle to demigod status, she now feels that she is a voice for the imbalance in the Industry in respect to female riders. But that is not the case at all. 

Without actually running numbers, female jockeys dominate the riding ranks in terms of the number of rides, especially in non metro regions. I regard female riders in exactly the way they have always wanted to be viewed, on equal terms. But if given the opportunity or choice, I would want William Pike or Paul Harvey on my horse in a WA race and if I needed a claiming apprentice, then Jade McNaught is miles in front in any selection criteria. It's nothing at all to do with a sex bias. I just want to have my horse win or be given the best opportunity by a jockey with a strike rate above 20%.

oldhendo likes this post.

The premise of the Michelle Payne story and highlighted in the movie about her Melbourne Cup victory, are that she has overcome objections and a bias towards female jockeys, fighting against all odds if you will.

The irony is it was disgraceful track bias that gifted her that cup victory. She got lucky on a 100-1 shot-it ain't a glass ceiling shattering moment it's being portrayed as. A four-year victory lap is taking the ****.

jum, Manchild likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    I'd have to agree with all of that... she is taking every opportunity to play the sexist card because it fits with the narrative of her story and the movie. 
    When you choose the rider for a horse... you choose based on the best possible rider for the horse in question for the race that it is placed in and that might vary from race to race. 

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    While I also agree in certain parts, as she shouldn't be fighting other people's battles, and also that the owner has somewhat of a right to change jockeys etc none of "us men" or the other majority male detractors to her can truly relate to or understand the bias and second rate treatment that women have received in this and other industries. If you think you can as a white male in Australia then you are delusional. M Payne has had a gut full of what ever treatment she feels is directed towards herself and women in general, an she is calling it out as she sees it. And us blokes don't like it. ND gee whiz some of the reactions toward her a very "pig" like.

As for $1000 fine, what a joke and again it's a example of a double standard. Not two weeks ago Wayne Hawkes was on TV sprouting that Lindsay Smith was cheating, and then buttered up the next day by adding more fuel to the fire when questioned.. Did he get a fine or reprimand for the same thing?

Social media rightly or wrongly allows all to voice opinions in a public space. Not everyone will agree on things but the level of personal barbs toward others is pathetic and can be done in much better ways. I'm sure M Payne would do things differently again.
    @H-BOMBER Jamie Kah is getting the rides in Melbourne that Glen Boss couldn't and which prompted his switch to Sydney. Post race tears aside, Bossy wasn't identifying as a female last time I checked. Michelle is an abrasive personality with a messiah complex who throws her two cents into the wishing well of public opinion every time she sees fit. In a sport of arselickers where Avduffer et al get rides in part due to how they conduct themselves, constant outbursts don't help. I'd rate Jamie Kah or Claire Lindop superior riders even though Michelle's Group 1 tally is higher(5 wins, if i'm correct).
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Everyone has a opinion, right or wrong. The part I don't  like trainers were informed on Monday the owners didn't want her on,should have had the decency to inform meech prior to working the horse, and allow her the right of refusal prior to its gallop, not wait until she gallops the horse,then slap her face with your not on Saturday,  Hey she still mightive worked it, with prior knowledge, or told them to get
    I dont disagree with you @therealkramer 

But show me another person who doesn't offer their opinion when its not wanted or warranted? That IS social media right?

Shes fighting a fight that she feels is necessary to her and her gender. 

As you state, people get rides, trainers get horses on how they conduct themselves. She probaly feels that either way she is going to be over looked, whether it be due to her gender or comments so what is she really losing?

The irony/ignorance of this comment doesnt escape me either. I cant tell if you are joking or not :)

"Post race tears aside. Bossy wasnt identifying as female last time i checked"

Bucks likes this post.

edited October 2019
    H-BOMBER said:

The irony/ignorance of this comment doesnt escape me either. I cant tell if you are joking or not :)

"Post race tears aside. Bossy wasnt identifying as female last time i checked"
    How is it ignorant? I was merely pointing out that Jamie Kah IS female. She took a chance relocating to Melbourne hoping to transfer her premiership-winning talents and it's paying off. Those with long memories will remember she took a sabbatical from riding after an outburst on social media not dissimilar to what Michelle is involving herself in right now. Seems like some people learn and some people burn(bridges)-it's not about male or female or else Bossy who has 80-something Group 1s to his name would have been welcomed back to Melbourne. He wasn't, he was disappointed, obviously but he's gone on to win the Doncaster, Epsom, Everest this year so you tell me what's the best way to respond to (real or perceived)setbacks? 
    Sorry, I interpreted that your comment about his post race tears on the weekend as an indication he is a woman, because of those tears. My mistake. All good
    edited October 2019
    Here's all I could find. I seem to remember her posting something online around expectations etc although I can't remember exactly. What I would say is that Jamie has spoken about the lack of opportunities afforded to women both here and overseas. But she does it in a manner different to Michelle Payne, whose lack of subtlety is going to alienate more than a few people regardless of what side of the debate she chooses to align herself with.

• spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    After watching what Diva posted above i reckon LM should have just copped it and moved on. She her self said she not big on the social media and she should have left it that way. After saying she hopes the horse gets beat dont think she will be riding to many more for them.At the end of the day this whole thing would not have been as big as it is if not for MP having her two bits worth

jum, H-BOMBER likes this post.

edited October 2019
    Seems like the only reason Meech got the ride last start was because Zahra was riding Santa Ana Lane in The Everest in Sydney. Don't blame us Sydney folk. We just wanna rule the racing landscape by disrupting bleak city's carnival, not start a gender divide O:-) :^o :-t

• licklick    305 posts
    I'll bet Rachael Griffiths and the backers of "Ride Like A Girl" will be pleased. Certainly doesn't enhance her character, but I guess it will blow over.
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    lick said:

I'll bet Rachael Griffiths and the backers of "Ride Like A Girl" will be pleased. Certainly doesn't enhance her character, but I guess it will blow over.

Still yet to find someone outside of Racing who has been to see the movie
  • ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts
    Jell said:

Don’t get me started. Frankie Dettori plays dodgem cars with half the field and now we have to listen to this tripe and put up with terrible movies (No, I haven’t see it but judging by the trailer).

Where is Clare Lindop’s movie after she retired? She’s ridden almost twice as many winners and was actually a good Jockey. You don’t see her carrying on.

Don’t blame Frankie for her winning, most of it was the fact the horse had been hit up with the jack (jigger), she probably knew about it too,wouldn’t surprise me
    edited October 2019
    Toepuntit said:

Jell said:

Don’t blame Frankie for her winning, most of it was the fact the horse had been hit up with the jack (jigger), she probably knew about it too,wouldn’t surprise me
    It's quite the case of mental gymnastics, isn't it? Old 'Shelley', who loves dishing out the wisdom and quick  judgement that social media allows, was quick with the press release the second Weir was busted. Saying she never saw anything dodgy, didn't know anything. Now the media have been all too willing to use PoP's Cup win as evidence of the scale and scope of Weir's cheating and delighted in dragging him down. But Michelle has got a free pass, her achievements not diminished one iota and have even been immortalised in film :-?

Toepuntit likes this post.