Who's Online

0 Members & 29 Non Members

Cop the drive at Hobart 10/10

Harness & Greyhounds
Ryan Warwick with a peach of a drive. An absolute pearler,

Comments

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    edited November 2019
    Gary Hall Jnr took home the 2019 Australian Drivers Championship for WA at Hobart last night.
    Ryan Warwick also finished in the Top 4 a great result for WA.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    These series are good publicity and clearly well supported by the Tassie trainers but when it gets down to bottom line, they are a bit of a raffle. Nonetheless, you would go a long way to see a better steer than Ryan in the first, top of the shelf....and because there were a lot of heats, not just 2 or 3, the opportunity was for the cream to rise....which it did.

cisco, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Not sounding like a wowser - but race 2 ( and i dont know the form in Tassie ) was a shocking advertisement for advocates of that sprint lane

Hall from gate 1 - $3.30 - leads - hands up to the $1.60 fave ( drawn o/side 2nd row ) absolute procession - we get a sort of mini race up the home straight - final 200 metres . Run that race at GP - you actually get a competitive race because there is no way Jnr hands up

Chariotsonfire likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    How about race 3  drivers c/ship race------1.60  fav. when the seat came off when  mcmullen was chiming  in to win the race,------------- hows the name of the horse --------away-and-ride-yourself.-- another way to get beat.
  • MorganJamesMorganJames    175 posts
    edited November 2019
    The Butcher of short priced favourites is back from Hobart!!

Offthebit likes this post.

• ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts

The Butcher of short priced favourites is back from Hobart!!

More fool you for betting on short priced favs

Didnt see where i mentioned in my post that i backed it
    what about race 5, the horse inside the marker pegs, join the que. I apologize  in advance if stewards  were relying  audio only, -------sure did appear to improve its position  inside marker pegs without stewards upholding all clear.

TrackBias likes this post.

• ciscocisco    805 posts
    I will tell you something it is easy to sit on the fence and pot blokes having a crack!!!

How many winners have you blokes driven!!!

And before you ask how many I have driven it is a big fat ZERO!!!
    To pass comment on what one may perceive is an errant drive or a misjudgement is one thing.....to continuously and  boorishly take cheap shots and some that question the integrity of the target is plain bullying.......offensive, hurtful pie throwing that one might expect from some primary school kids let loose with their first smart phone. "The butcher of the short priced favourites"....honestly, how puerile.

VillageKid, cisco, Toepuntit likes this post.

The how many winners driven line is laborius.
    They do this job for a living and receive many accolades when they drive winners and are very well rumunerated .
    Pointing out bad drives is all part and parcel of the game as well pointing out the good ones.
    I have never questioned the integrity of any driver. 
    The drive lacked finnese and thought and a complete lack of respect for the opposition and from one of our leading drivers we expect better..

"The butcher of short priced favourites is back from Hobart".....that is not questioning the integrity of Ryan Warwick? Spare me ....... This was a thread that highlighted a truly brilliant drive in Hobart which you chose to hijack with an offensive and character assassinating post which is a slight on his professional capabilities.

Cant_Refuse likes this post.

Butchering  is a term used in the industry to do with bad drives has nuthing to do with questioning  integrity.

Offthebit likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    I really enjoyed the nights racing, definitely more than one quality driver handing out a butcher job but that’s what made it entertaining! Felt like a throwback to the late 90s to me where I fell in love with harness racing. 

I think the key to what was to my eye (except for a couple of races) very competitive racing was that the drivers weren’t really over the form so there where some over driven horses and some under driven horses. 

Nowadays everyone is so over the form that they tend to know something close to the ability of every horse in the race they tend to drive to match that which can equal uncompetitive racing. 

So I’m pitching for no Foxtel IQ recording of sky channel and removal of all replays from harness.org so there is more intrigue into the ability of horses to up the anti on the competitive stakes!

Gilgamesh said:

I really enjoyed the nights racing, definitely more than one quality driver handing out a butcher job but that’s what made it entertaining! Felt like a throwback to the late 90s to me where I fell in love with harness racing. 

I think the key to what was to my eye (except for a couple of races) very competitive racing was that the drivers weren’t really over the form so there where some over driven horses and some under driven horses. 

Nowadays everyone is so over the form that they tend to know something close to the ability of every horse in the race they tend to drive to match that which can equal uncompetitive racing. 

So I’m pitching for no Foxtel IQ recording of sky channel and removal of all replays from harness.org so there is more intrigue into the ability of horses to up the anti on the competitive stakes!

sure would make them drive by feel and not just by what they’ve seen
  • Unfortunately jealousy is rife in the industry. Some people are more intent having shots at others all the time to make up for their underachieving lives. I think it says more about their character then anything.
  • Someone must have been changing his tampon Friday night when Mighty Santana won. Another Short Priced Fav????
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    I guess the race you are all referring to is Justasec/Captain Mannering.
    To put things into perspective the winner won at GP on a Friday night one start previous, how he was 20/1 has got me stuffed.
    The $1.05 favourite was on his second run back from a spell in his 4th race start against far more experienced horses.
    My opinion only but the driver was a victim of obsession to have horses with NZ in Bond camp at these odds.
    Sure things didn't go his way but the horse raced like a horse that has ability but can do things wrong if put under pressure against seasoned horses or is not ready to compete against such company.
    Put the 1st and 2nd horse together in trackwork together and I don't think the range of odds will be $20.00.
    Ryan has always had ability as a driver and always will have, but referrals to "butchers" and "tampons" please fellas every owner, trainer, punter and driver has good days and bad days.
    Keep it civil and judge each case on its merits.

Cant_Refuse likes this post.

Interesting what terms upset some people

I can remember many many years ago - Kevin Thompson the NSW trots caller - was interviewing Brian Hancock in the press box at Harold Park - going through B H drives for the night - i was listening to it on the radio at home

And with one of his drives - Thompson simply said - look this thing got flattened at its last start - and Brian Hancock took him to task - he said dont ever use that word " flattened " in our industry please - i can remember that vividly

Contrast that  to old Jack Denham the gallops trainer - i can remember J A Cassidy didnt ride one of Denhams top gallopers too well one day - and Jack said - Cassidy slaughtered my horse - that was the headline in the paper

Interesting character old Jack - tremendous trainer - but apparently a tight barrstard - they reckon he  was that tight he use to cut his own hair - ha
  • I guess the race you are all referring to is Justasec/Captain Mannering.
    To put things into perspective the winner won at GP on a Friday night one start previous, how he was 20/1 has got me stuffed.
    The $1.05 favourite was on his second run back from a spell in his 4th race start against far more experienced horses.
    My opinion only but the driver was a victim of obsession to have horses with NZ in Bond camp at these odds.
    Sure things didn't go his way but the horse raced like a horse that has ability but can do things wrong if put under pressure against seasoned horses or is not ready to compete against such company.
    Put the 1st and 2nd horse together in trackwork together and I don't think the range of odds will be $20.00.
    Ryan has always had ability as a driver and always will have, but referrals to "butchers" and "tampons" please fellas every owner, trainer, punter and driver has good days and bad days.
    Keep it civil and judge each case on its merits.

Captain Mannering wouldn’t get near Justasec in a match race/track work.
  • sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    Hi Markovina ,I had a bit to do with the Denham camp.. He was a very generous guy to his staff and people in need..

savethegame likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    sonny said:

Hi Markovina ,I had a bit to do with the Denham camp.. He was a very generous guy to his staff and people in need..

you would know better than me sonny but I always had a great regard for the Denham horses on race day...consistent tough honest
    Hi Curmudgeon, He also had great apprentices..McLunes , Allen Denham,Beaver , Hardwick,Phillips who still is riding in the bush, forgot the others..  

savethegame, curmudgeon likes this post.

sonny said:

Sonny do know a lady that worked for jack,do know her full name, but may have not been married at the time-----.Annie and the stories ,regarding are nothing like the media has portrayed, Annie told me he was brilliant to his staff and as you said very generous all-round,to charties. etc.

Annie was the cook, his eyes and ears when he wanted to know the talk...Remember  growing up my father had the turf monthly +racetrack on order , well I would read the skin of them,plus the trotting register, .Purple Patch was a fav.

Could be mistaken see you mentioned beaver schofield , use to follow him , He was out for a while  with a broken arm, went out to celebrate when the cast was removed, fell over and broke the other one. sure I read that.

Loving it that 'Cop The Drive At Hobart 10/10" has in fact scored a 10/10 for morphing into a thread on Jack Denham. That's why threads are a must read regardless of title, like an image of my daily existence, you never know where it is heading.......
  • ciscocisco    805 posts
    Hello Sonny,

Can you please tell me about Beaver Schofield he was my favourite interstate jockey? Poor bugger had some shocking race falls. I think he is a currently training at Gosford.

Cheers cicso

savethegame likes this post.

Guilty as charged JJ.. Beaver grew up around Villawood  and is currently training .. I have lost contact with a lot of race folk when I moved to Perth 15 years ago but have fond memories and lots forgotten..

JayJay, cisco, savethegame likes this post.

JayJay said:

Loving it that 'Cop The Drive At Hobart 10/10" has in fact scored a 10/10 for morphing into a thread on Jack Denham. That's why threads are a must read regardless of title, like an image of my daily existence, you never know where it is heading.......

Jay Jay 3/1on you know were we are all heading--, bloody good to get-up and read about whether ryan Warwick- drove a pearler- or the terms I grow up with slaughtered or butched, plus when bookies were around the term was------- in the bag for milky,  that was hot. Jockeys have changed it use to be a plum of a ride ------now its a peach.-----but the butchered or slaughtered is still the same. in the gallops
    cisco said:

Hello Sonny,

Can you please tell me about Beaver Schofield he was my favourite interstate jockey? Poor bugger had some shocking race falls. I think he is a currently training at Gosford.

Cheers cicso

Rode a few for my father and uncle in Queensland back in the day, was a very clever jock

cisco likes this post.

Saw Jack Denham at Randwick one day  go absolutely beserk at Terry Duckett after a ride on one of Denhams horses

It was absolutely ridiculous - and if i  had of been the jock - i would have nearly sat him on his aarse

Plenty are saying dont bag the driver or rider but are cynical ( depends who it is )  when they count